Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 10:31:44 PM EDT
...basic ship date is 6/11.  AHHH!!!  What do I need to make sure I do before I go?  Any physical recommendations.  I am going to Fort Jackson (Army).  Right now my physical specs are as follows:

60 situps in 2 minutes
31 pushups in 2 minutes
2 miles best time was 18:38, but I am now running 1/2 mile in 3:42 (fully clothed, jeans etc.)

How do I work up my arm strength?  Does it matter as long as I pass the entry PT test?  Any info is appreciated.  

James
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this for push- ups..

Get down and do one, stand, then get down and do two, stand, then get down and do three, stand, then get down and do four... do this until you get to where you can from 1 to 10 and back down to one. It will build your upper body, yet not burn you out like just doing pushup after pushup.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Do pullups to build up your arm strength.  I like those telephone pole to telephone pole sprints too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Your a hurt'n unit recruit!

Petty Officer Third Class in United States Navy, and I'm pretty damn sure the Navy has easier PT standards than the damn Army (well, at least it should be that way), and here [in the Navy (no Villiage People jokes please)] to pass without being on Mando-PT it goes mainly by your age group. For my group 18-21 it stands as follows:

Minimums:
50 push-ups in 2 mins
60 sit-ups in 2 mins
1.5 miles in under 12 mins

Those are the minimums. What you want to do is (no B.S. either):
100+ push-ups in 2 mins
100+ sit-ups in 2 mins
1.5 miles in under 9 mins

You got some work to do there... Why aren't you there yet!?
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I went through basic training at Fort Jackson in 1966 and never was in as good physical condition as when I completed. Any PT preparation you engage in will be helpful, but insufficient. You will be in proper condition when you complete basic. Congratulations and welcome to the ranks of those who proudly stood up in defense their country and fellow Americans.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Striker is correct.  I never entered the military but as a firefighter before I retired, we were expected to perform rigorous aerobics and weight training to keep in shape.  If you do one type of cardiovascular exercise and never waiver from it, the body becomes "used" to it.  You need to tax the body by changing your routine.  Sprinting is one very good example.  I used to do the bike, then change up to the stairmaster and then run.  You'd be surprised at how quickly your stamina will build.  Oh and don't forget, plenty of bench presses to assist in your pushups.  

Good Luck to you,

Bud
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I can eat 50 eggs. [:X*]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
At least as important as physical conditioning, is mental conditioning.  Be prepared to be put under stress, to be tired constantly, and to be asked to do more things than you have time to do.  You will be pushed.  As long as you know that going in, you can take whatever they throw at you.  Just maintain your perspective, and remember the goal--to complete the training.  We all had a reason to undergo Basic--whether patriotic reasons, for the education, the job skill, the adventure, need of a job, etc.  Whatever your reason, just keep it in mind and stay focused on doing a good job.  Finally, help your buddies.  If you find yourself idle, there will probably be one of your buddies who could use some help straightening out his stuff, shining his boots, doing a detail, etc.  There will come a time when you will need his help, so invest some of your time when you have it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Loved being a soldier; Army sucked.  Keep a proper perspective and welcome to manhood.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Just relax. Enjoy yourself without doing anything too nuts. You'll be up to snuff by the time you graduate. Spend time with your family now.

Robert
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Above all remember basic training is a mind game and keep it that way.  Never, I repeat never VOLUNTEER for anything, always look busy or at least act like your damn busy, and above all keep a sense of humor in what your doing.  When you first get there all the DI's are going to do is fuck with ya.  So just roll with the punches and soon enough your mind and body will be in the routine and it'll be a cake walk.  Just realize its a game but its a game that you'll quickly become accostumed too.  As for the PT issue, dont worry you'll do just fine.  By the end of Basic you'll be in excellent shape.  Best of luck and remember to keep a sense of humor and after the first few days everything will be a routine.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a D.I. and it sounds to me like you are doing OK for entry. If anything I would work on the running. Ft. Jackson is not as hard as some but this time of year you will have some heat and humidity to deal with. Stay focused, don't worry about home, and try to enjoy yourself and remember why you joined. And remember that basic training is NOT what regular Army life is like. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
rifleer you can work different parts of the chest by doing different pushups. Put feet on a bed, sofa, or chair. Also spread hands at different widths.Also when doing pushups you can go half way down hold it for a few seconds and then go all the way down. This will give your muscles something different and you will get stronger faster. What MOS did you choose I forgot? Oh don't eyeball any drills [BD] or else you will be doing even more pushups.And you never want to be last to formation.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Darn, the army's still picky. I thought I heard if you had a 6th grade education, gpa > 1.65  or did well on the stupid written entrance test that was it. Or was that a lie that the USAF propigated to us??
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#17]
What MOS are you going into?  Basic training standards are different (although they shouldn't be)- if you are in a paper-pushing MOS, they'll go easier on you.  If you're going combat arms, you've got some work to do on your pushups and your run.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Combat arms, 13f.  

Nope, the 1.65 gpa is for the Marines.

Current Army standard for 18-21:

42 pushups
52 situps
2 miles in 15:36

straight from the sheet.

James
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Humping chicks is great for increasing yer situps. No joke either. I owe my 100 situps in a minute thrity FLAT to my X.

[sex]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top