Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2001 11:50:31 PM EDT
Well, After having trouble with a few "frankenguns" I told my dealer (Jay) last week, to keep his eyes open for a new factory built, quality AR-15. (Bushmaster/Armalite). I stopped in to pick-up some 9mm ammo with my kid brother today, and Jay tells me he just had a guy trade in a new Bushmaster. He told Jay he bought it around the Y2K hype and paid around a grand for it. The gun is "virtually" new...Still "tight" and "clean". I opened up the gun to inspect, and there was hardly any signs of the gun being fired. Gun had no box or paperwork but was definately "like new". The gun was exactly what I was looking for. He wanted $750 for it, Price seemed reasonable, so I bought it.

I never owned a Bushmaster, nor have I priced any...
I understand these are "TOP NOTCH" AR-15's...(worth the price)
Is it worth $750 ???

It's a XM15-E2S   20" rifle
#'s on barrel are:  B  MP 5.56 NATO 1/9  H BAR

There's no Muzzle brake on it right now and I'm looking for recommendations...

A "SMITH" brake came on my 20" Colt barrelled Olympic AR and I love it...Thinking of getting one for the Bushy... Who sells them ???

What about the " Y-COMP " from Bushmaster ???

End of Bushy barrel is .702 thous...
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A "SMITH" brake came on my 20" Colt barrelled Olympic AR and I love it...Thinking of getting one for the Bushy... Who sells them ???

what exactly is a "smith" brake?  i just bought a new bushamaster(same model and brrel length)  paid $720 for it brand new and in the box.  I have a gunsmith friend at the shop and he recommends the brakes that JP enterprises sells

http://www.jpar15.com/index2.htm   (i don't know how to make this a link)

they are funny looking, but he says that you can walk your ammo onto the target without ever having to realign your sights.

lwolfnky1
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Not real knowledgable in the brake department...just repeating what my dealer identified it to be...

It is also 'kinda funny looking...
It has 6 small holes in the top at the end, 2 angled notches on top with a small hole in each, and 3 large holes on each side.
I was watching the end of the barrel this morning when my brothers shot the gun, and I couldn't believe how stable the muzzle was while firing...Just a small "thump"...

It looks similar to a " Y-COMP " but is a little different...    
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
i ahve seen a "y comp"  but never a "smith".  have to look into that one.  but like i said, the one from JP enterprises comes highly recommended from my friend.  my .02 worth

lwolfnky1
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i ahve seen a "y comp"  but never a "smith".  have to look into that one.  but like i said, the one from JP enterprises comes highly recommended from my friend.  my .02 worth

lwolfnky1
View Quote

THANKS...I'll look into them...
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
i have that exact same model.it a great gun.i personaly like the way it looks ,stock.dont really care for mussel brakes.you will love this gun.750 aint too bad if its as new.i paid 815 out the door brand  new. enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I see brand new in the box postban bushmasters around the boards all the time for under $700.00 dollars. For the money you spent you could of done a lot better than a used bushmaster. Although, now that I think about it i've seen guys anctious to just "buy" a rifle do a lot worse. Good luck with the rifle. O3 out!! [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought the same one myself (my first AR [:D]).  Mine is the flattop variety.  20" hbar.  Got it new for about $800.  I've ripped a couple of rapid fire 10-rounders, and I had no trouble keeping it on or very near target with no compensator.  I guess the heavy barrel helps a lot. (Course, I was only shooting from 25 yards away.... [:)].
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
You paid top dollar but you did not get ripped off. The new ones you see for under $700 are for the most part A1 sights models. here in vegas $699 will get you a Bushmaster Shorty A2.

Plus tax %7.5
Plus brady $15

So.....you got kinda a fair deal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a good price for a like new 20..
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#11]
watch out for the y comp! i screwed one onto a preban bushy and the accuracy went away! horrible! i thought my scope was screwed up it was so bad. i put the standard birdcage back on and the accuracy came back. i could not see anyplace where the bullet was hitting on the inside of the ycomp. but out of curiosity i took a 3/8 drill and enlarged the insides down to the bottom and reinstalled it and some of the accuracy came back. not as good as the birdcage. another brake i have tried is the ak brake. this seems to have no affect on accuracy, and also 'brakes' well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The $750 dollar price included the $10 phone call...PLUS...no sales tax on trades...

I traded one of my failure prone AR franken guns + some junk .223 ammo + a couple Orlite mags on it...he gave me $600 for my AR and $66 for the ammo & mags.($666.00 total)

I only had about $550 into my gun and $45 into the mags (ammo was given to me,Gun parts & mags were bought tax free at gunshows)($ 595 total)

So, if I do the math correctly, my actual out of pocket cost was $679.

750 cost of gun
    -666 credit from trade-in
    = 84 cash needed
    +595 actual cost of trade-ins

$84 cash + $595 cost of trades =$679
(no sales tax on trades)

I think I did quite well actually...

I didn't go into this much detail with the original post cuz I didn't think it was relative...
His cash-n-carry price was $750...  
AND, the gun is "NEW" with very little ammo thru it. (I know that much) Not even a mark or scratch on the brass deflector...
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You got a good gun at a good price, don't worry and have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
dragracerart, I have the same setup.  As for breaks, I suggest leaving it 'naked.'  The HBAR is so heavy that it has virtually no recoil with the .223.  Adding a break is just going to make it louder and will not aid in accuracy.  Spend the money on mags and ammo.  Just my $.02.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
dragracerart, I have the same setup.  As for breaks, I suggest leaving it 'naked.'  The HBAR is so heavy that it has virtually no recoil with the .223.  Adding a break is just going to make it louder and will not aid in accuracy.  Spend the money on mags and ammo.  Just my $.02.  
View Quote

I think I'll just shoot it the way it is first...then decide...
My other AR is almost identical to the Bushmaster...Olympic lower with Colt heavy barrelled upper + smith brake...I think I'll shoot them side by side to compare...
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on the new gun. Bushmaster makes some real nice AR's. It's not purple is it? Just kidding. I think the deal you made worked out well. Always nice to get rid of things you don't want in trade for something you do want.
I agree about holding off on the muzzle brake until you shoot the gun more. You might decide you don't need it or even want it. But once you attach that brake you're stuck with it even if its removeable you will still have the holes for the set screws or taper pin in the barrel.
If you decide to get a brake look at the ones that Wilson's and KKF sell that resemble the A2 Birdcage Flash Suppressor. I have one from Wilson's on a Colt AR15 and it looks real good. The only down side to these is they are sorta permanent.

I know on a post a few weeks ago you suggesting getting together to do some shooting possibly at Classic Pistol indoor range, I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, works been kinda crazy lately and when I'm not in work I only want to spend time here reading posts. I'm pretty sure in the next few weeks I will be able to get out to the range though. We'll have to swap some emails to see if our schedules line up. My email is [email protected] if you think this is a good idea let me know. Anybody else want to join us?

One other thing, any idea where I can get a drivers side lower A-Arm for a 1968 camaro?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the same model xm15-e2s 20" Its alot of fun. Great shooter. But I like my Armalite better for comp.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I just ordered from Bushmaster this afternoon.
I ordered an AK-style brake to try (only $25) , a 3.5 lb hunk of lead for the A2 buttstock, and a Hogue pistol grip(had one on my CAR-15 & liked it).

For 15 years I was 'soupin-up hot rods & drag cars.
Now, my attention seems to be shifted onto my guns...

I just can't leave well enough alone
...Always tinkering with shit...

What next ???  
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Almost forgot...

Princeton...
            If you definately need an A-arm, just let me know. I can get a hold of one no problem...

How many do you want?????[:)]

I'll drop you an E-mail this weekend and you can get back to me about meeting up at CP and the A-arm you need...
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you need to have your AK brake put on your rifle Bushmaster does it for $10 or so and turn around is a couple of weeks.  Just had them put one on a new Dissipator a couple of months ago.

View Quote

Thanks for the info...but I'm 'kinda funny about sending/shipping gun parts anyway...

Besides, I'm a certified welder, and I have a TIG/MIG welder in my garage. So, I'll just "tack" it on to try it, and if I really like it I'll TIG weld it to the barrel permanently. TIG makes a REALLY nice weld...Very clean and impressive looking...  
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Dragracerart - Congrats on your new Bushmaster.  If you go to CP in the next few weeks drop me a line (though this week and next week are definitely out for me).  I'm not too far and I'll bring some machine guns you can try out.

I just love seeing people get that silly '30rd-mag-dump' grin.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Shaggy...

WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND ? [:)]

I'll be happy to bring all the ammo those MG's will eat !!

I've never had the opportunity to fire a F/A MG...

"Bump" firing my Romanian AK is the closest I've been to F/A...
It's 'kinda cool, but, I can't do it around other members at my range. (I could lose my membership) Besides, every time I bumpfire, my thumb gets whacked by the cycling bolt...OUCH!
I'd love to try a REAL machine gun...SOOOO COOOOL !!!

Hey Princeton...Whadda ya think ?

May 26 or 27 ???
June 2 or 3  ???

My schedule is pretty flexible...Don't have to work weekends much...
My e-mail...   [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Dragracerart -

I'm going in the hospital this Sunday for surgery, so I'll be out of action for about a week or two, but drop me a line around the end of next week - hopefully I'll be back on my feet by then.

If you can find it, buy a brick or two of Federal Lightnings .22LR - I'll bring the American 180 (and a few other full auto goodies). You will LOVE the 180- shoots about 27rds per sec., and the drums hold 165rds and 275rds.  Its about the most fun you can have with your pants on.  Of course, bring 9mm and .223 (you'll need it).

My current favorite toy...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wt/wt80918.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dragracerart -

I'm going in the hospital this Sunday for surgery, so I'll be out of action for about a week or two, but drop me a line around the end of next week - hopefully I'll be back on my feet by then.

If you can find it, buy a brick or two of Federal Lightnings .22LR - I'll bring the American 180 (and a few other full auto goodies). You will LOVE the 180- shoots about 27rds per sec., and the drums hold 165rds and 275rds.  Its about the most fun you can have with your pants on.  Of course, bring 9mm and .223 (you'll need it).

Outstanding !!!
I'll bring ammo-o-plenty!!!

GOOD LUCK with your surgery...
catch ya later...

ART
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]

You did good, dragracerart.....and the AK break it a good choice too.
[:)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#27]
dragracerart
Both those weekends should be good for me. The sundays would probably be better than the saturdays but I could make saturdays work if need be. Can't wait.

I'll try to bring as much as I can in the way of arms and ammo. It'll give me an incentive to get my SAR-2 up and running again. Plenty of differently configured AR15's also and an AR10.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Art- I live on an old farm, and can shoot anything at any cyclic rate that I wish, and we have ROOM to spare!  If you've ever been to the shows in Carlisle, I'm fairly close by.
 I've had a Bushy for 11 years, it's only failures were ammo and magazine related.  shoots MOA groups with a scope on it.  Stay away from those Y-comp brakes, thy are so LUOD they will blow the ears off a brass monkey!  Strongly suggest the AK brake, it does an excellent job and reduces flash.  Muzzle flash ona bare barrel is quite impressive, looks like a pop-back thru a big four-barrel.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, After having trouble with a few "frankenguns" I told my dealer (Jay) last week, to keep his eyes open for a new factory built, quality AR-15. (Bushmaster/Armalite). I stopped in to pick-up some 9mm ammo with my kid brother today, and Jay tells me he just had a guy trade in a new Bushmaster. He told Jay he bought it around the Y2K hype and paid around a grand for it. The gun is "virtually" new...Still "tight" and "clean". I opened up the gun to inspect, and there was hardly any signs of the gun being fired. Gun had no box or paperwork but was definately "like new". The gun was exactly what I was looking for. He wanted $750 for it, Price seemed reasonable, so I bought it.

I never owned a Bushmaster, nor have I priced any...
I understand these are "TOP NOTCH" AR-15's...(worth the price)
Is it worth $750 ???

It's a XM15-E2S   20" rifle
#'s on barrel are:  B  MP 5.56 NATO 1/9  H BAR

There's no Muzzle brake on it right now and I'm looking for recommendations...

What about the " Y-COMP " from Bushmaster ???

End of Bushy barrel is .702 thous...
View Quote

I got mine NIB for $740.00.  Your guy did not give you a deal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
dragracerart
Both those weekends should be good for me. The sundays would probably be better than the saturdays but I could make saturdays work if need be. Can't wait.

I'll try to bring as much as I can in the way of arms and ammo. It'll give me an incentive to get my SAR-2 up and running again. Plenty of differently configured AR15's also and an AR10.
View Quote

Princton...

How does CP operate ??
Must we call ahead and reserve range time ?

I've got a flyer I picked up at Fort Washington, and the picture shows only 3 lanes...

3+ guys & 4+ guns each,full house??? Do they have adequate space ???

At the moment, I only have 2 AR's & 2 AK's...But that can change very easily every time I visit the gun store...[:)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey, if your range is too small, paspecops has a farm in the area. We ought to have a PA AR15.COM lead spray party over at his place, assuming his post was a pseudo-invitation!  I can bring AR's, an AK, and ammo. What do ya'll think???
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#32]
CP is where I usually go to shoot - its a bit on the expensive side, but they allow full auto in everything up to and including .308, they're friendly & helpful, and its clean.  There are not many indoor ranges that allow full auto, let alone in rifle calibers, so its pretty much the only place for me.  There's 3 rooms, each with 5 or 6 shooting lanes.  You don't have to make reservations, but if you're going on a weekend its a good idea - they do get crowded on the weekends.

Their website is at www.classicpistol.com
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey, if your range is too small, paspecops has a farm in the area. We ought to have a PA AR15.COM lead spray party over at his place, assuming his post was a pseudo-invitation! I can bring AR's, an AK, and ammo. What do ya'll think???
View Quote

Hey I'd be into that - what do ya think paspecops?

I would want to alert the local cops though; full auto does tend to attract them, and I don't want or need any legal hassles whatsoever.  Besides the cops may like it too.  A few summers ago at a PA machinegun shoot, the chief of police came out to shoot with us.  I have pics of him blazing away with my HK51.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#34]
About Classic Pistol.
I don't know that reservations can be made. Just sort of show up and hope its not too crowded. Weekends sometimes get tricky. Crowded some weekends and not crowded others. I try to do most of my  shooting during the week.
While they do have 3 rooms with 5 lanes each I'm pretty sure that rifles can only be fired in 2 of the rooms maybe only one of the rooms but definitely the first set of lanes is handgun caliber only.
I have a membership so I can bring in one guest for $12 for long gun shooters (only $6 for pistol shooters) but you don't need to be a member to shoot there. Its just a few dollars more.
If there is a better place I'd be willing to do some driving.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like something I'd definately be interested in also...
I love the outdoors...
I'd still be interested in shooting at CP though...Just to check it out...
I think gus's  "throwing lead on a farm" suggestion is a good idea...
Sounds like it could turn into an AR-15.com annual event maybe ???

HOW ABOUT IT, paspecops???
Do you mind having a bunch of well armed wingnuts (myself included)over for a day of entertainment ???  

PS..The wife wants to know if you have any animals at the farm ?
If so, can she bring the kids ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry, Art, no animals, the closest that I can come to that is my son and myself when Mom is out of town.  Yes it is an invitation, this well-armed wingnut likes to shoot and shoot the bull as well!  [uzi]  [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]
OK......
Lets start throwing somes dates/ times around then...
my schedule is almost always flexible...so lets hear from those guys with busy schedules first, and plan around them...
Em...I recall in a post awhile back you mentioned "tall grass" coming up in your field...How much time do we have to pull this off before the grass is too high ???
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Alrighty Then!!!!  Sounds like we need a plan of action.  I'm free most weekends, the only exception being Saturday June 16. paspecops, I live near Fawn Grove, so I'm only an hour or so away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Saturdays are best, June 9 &10 are out camping trip.  I do have a tractor mower, and can cut a fire lane if necessary.  We also have a grill, bring chow, we'll make a day of it.  Do you prefer longer ranges >100 yds. or do you want to do some tactical type shooting?  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Saturdays are best, June 9 &10 are out camping trip.  I do have a tractor mower, and can cut a fire lane if necessary.  We also have a grill, bring chow, we'll make a day of it.  Do you prefer longer ranges >100 yds. or do you want to do some tactical type shooting?  
View Quote

Tin cans and bowling pins at 50 yards or cardboard cutouts of Klinton at 300....makes no difference to me...
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#41]
OK...June 9 & June 16 is out...
We should leave a little time for shaggy to recover from his soon up-coming surgery...So that leaves out May...

HOW ABOUT SATURDAY JUNE 23rd...My wife a and I will be married exactly 2 years that day...
She has no objection, so the 23rd is good for me...PLUS it leaves a little room for planning & to spread the word...Any Objections ???

If "someone"(host/paspecops)want's to start a new topic...
May I suggest...

"HARRISBURG HELLRAISER AR-15.com 1st annual machinegun shoot"

Has a nice ring to it, huh ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#42]
We need some blue helmets for long range work....
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I can do the 23rd if that's what it comes down to, but I'll have to change some thing around (going to Hershey Park on the 22nd, had planned to stay the night). Maybe Sunday the 24th??
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Paspecops 'kinda likes Saturdays...
What about SAT the 30th of June ?

The 23rd was just the first thing that came to mind...
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#45]
The 30th is definately a good one!!  No problems or scheduling conflicts here.
We're homing in on it!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#46]
DAMN GUS !
You're over 340+ posts already ?
Seems just a week or so ago you just hit the 250 senior geezer mark...
All these short easy posts & I'll be a senior geezer soon myself...
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Once you break 250, they just seem to roll out - kinda like the years do after you hit 30!!!

My only fear about this gathering is that I'll find it absolutely necessary to go NFA class III afterward!  It's been a while since I shot FA and I merely miss it. One more dose and I might go over the edge...subguns....M16's....M2 BMG's....damn I'll never get my race car back together now!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Once you break 250, they just seem to roll out - kinda like the years do after you hit 30!!!

My only fear about this gathering is that I'll find it absolutely necessary to go NFA class III afterward!  It's been a while since I shot FA and I merely miss it. One more dose and I might go over the edge...subguns....M16's....M2 BMG's....damn I'll never get my race car back together now!
View Quote

I say leave the race cars parked in the garage...They don't cost anything to sit in the garage...
We should buy as many guns as we can afford, including class III stuff...Unlike your Challenger and my Camaro, our guns will go UP in value, 'kinda like real estate...
Besides, you can always put the car back together anytime...
There may come a day when class III stuff is illegal all together, so enjoy it while you can...[:)]  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I've spent almost 4 hours of my day here today...
Time to get some work done around the house...
I'll be back online around 12 midnight to check this topic...
see ya then...
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]

(just a cheap post...had to hit 210 before signing off)[:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top