Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 5:39:00 PM EDT
I have a modem connecting, so I have to use something like NetVampire to have any prayer of succesfully downloading anything over half a meg.

The problem is that NetVampire uses Aureate (sp?), which is a spam like service that tracks your internet activity and sends it to their main server somewhere.  It also runs banner ads.

While these things aren't terribly henious in their own right, I want every tiny bit of my bandwidth reserved for me, not this junk.  

So, my question is how can I find out what IP addresses are being used for this stuff, and can I tell Zonealarm to specifically block all activity to/fro those addys?

-Lazy
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
make sure you have no browser windows or anything else that uses internet conectivity open, let it sit idle for a few minutes, then run a command prompt and type "netstat /a" this shows you all active connections and their addresses. I'm not sure if win95 has that command but thats what it is on 98,nt,2000,*nix. you might have to do it a few times if the program running the ads doesn't have an active connection going right then.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a program called cyberkit. It has several useful tools (all can be found elsewhere but this incorporates them and is fairly easy to use). It should help you out.

Mike

edited for poor spelling [:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
i use getright for download resuming havnt had a problem with it yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top