Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 6:07:14 PM EDT

Ok, got into a discussion with a guy today at work. The point of debate had to do M16's and the 3 shot burst and full auto options.

The way I understand it, the US military has at various times, and in various branches, issued full auto and 3 shot burst M16's. But that they have all been three position selectors.

Now I know that there are afermarket four position selector (for replacement on NFA items only of course).

But has the US military ever used 4 position selector switches?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
ShamusMcOI,
Well for what it is worth, I have a meager 15 years with weapon platform in question, and have never ever seen both 3 rd burst and FA as an option on the same rifle.  I am also unsure if the sear would have the ability to work if modified in this manner.

Scorpion34 OUT!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen advertisements several times in the past for "4 position Selector switches"  "as used by Special Forces" but I don't think they are in the US inventory.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah Shamus I think the general consensus is, even if specops/high-speed types have used them, they aren't in any way an issued option.  I don't think Colt or FN have had any significant quantity of rifles leave their factory that way, but those billy badass guys get whatever toys they want so its well within their means.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
whats the point in 3rd burst why not just use FA.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't answer your question about military, but I CAN say that I have personally shot a Safe/Semi/3/Full M16. It was an obvious aftermarket addition, there was some red plate on the side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats the point in 3rd burst why not just use FA.

Even the best trained men will loose fine motor control when they go into combat.  What is meant to be a short 2-3 round burst often turns out to be a 7-10 round burst.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]
In a Colt armorers school a few years, one of the guns we worked on was a Colt M16 (M4 configuration, I think) with a four position selector switch.

I remember it pretty clearly since the selector switch was freewheeling, which struck me as strange.  By freewheeling I don’t mean that it didn’t have detents, but rather that it didn’t have stops - you could just continually turn the selector switch in either direction.

My vague recollection is that the instructor said it was being sold to the military, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Tapco sells this 4 position selector, as does DPMS.www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=M160903&back=yes&dept=24&last=21
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest asking your original question in the "Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more" forum.  Hopefully, some one like Chuck (Col. Santose) will give you the inside skinny.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tapco sells this 4 position selector, as does DPMS.www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=M160903&back=yes&dept=24&last=21
www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/M160903_md.jpg

If I, John Q Public, were to order one of these kits today would I get put on "The List" or has it been overhyped?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I just went to the Colt Armorer school a few months ago and they had the same 4 position selector.  Per the instructor, it was being sold by Colt in limited numbers to foreign governments.  As previously mentioned, it was free wheeling and could be spun around in any direction.  This was a Colt factory option and not aftermarket.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's the one I used on MickeyMouse's M16.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes the Army does use the 4 position selector switch. I fired one at a CQB course last month. It was a Special Forces weapon belonging to the instructor.

The M4 was a Colt and it was marked "M4 Enhanced".
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I, John Q Public, were to order one of these kits today would I get put on "The List" or has it been overhyped?

Anyone stupid enough to purchase FA parts on their credit card delivered to their house will most likely get themselves, their wife, their kids, and their dog shot and killed by the ATF.

Oh BTW, they will burn down your house for good measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top