Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2001 9:16:34 PM EDT
ok guys, just want to know what you owners of any leapers scope think of them. pretty good prices. any info is helpful, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother bought one for his kid's .22 rifle, and the optics are less than impressive.  Image distortion and colorization near the edges of the lenses.  Never could get the image and the crosshairs to focus simoultaneously.  If one was in focus the other was not.  My personal experience is to stay away from them.  

MM2k
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what you want to do with it...  I put one of those Leapers 4X20 clamp-on AR-15 scopes (chinese knock-off of the Colt scope) on my AR last Winter for load development. $30 + shpg.  It works just fine.  Take it off the rifle and put it back aboard again a week later and I'm still on the paper (8.5" X 11") at 100YDS.  Not so sure that I would bet my life on this scope though...
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You can spend $1200 on a Swarovski scope but what's the point?  If your Leapers is not defective, and I assume it isn't, it will work just fine.  I've got a 3X9 rubber armored and shoot 1.5" groups all day long.  Sometimes you just have to ask yourself what it is you want to do with your rifle.  If you are expecting "same hole" accuracy, you don't start with the scope...you start with a rifle that has a capability of achieving that result.  An AR-15 is a "military" or "battle" rifle designed to hit an enemy soldier, not a ladybug.  Go with the Leapers, try it out and if you don't like it...get something else.  You haven't wasted any money by spending $30 on Leapers scope.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
got one on my AR,been beat up on and off the weapon,always returns to zero,I've got no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Got one on my SKS and can group it inside 6" at 100yds.  real fun to play with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one for my AR just cause it was cheap and it had the AR adapter built in. It's about what you would expect from a cheapie scope. I didn't have any distortion or problems with focus on mine, but setting the elevation and windage kinda sucked. The dials just spin, they don't "click". You have to eyeball how many notches to turn for correction. The 4x I bought does have a neat feature, once sighted in at 100 yards, you can turn the top dial for quick 200, 300, 400 and 500 elevation settings.
I was able to keep most shots within the 2" orange dot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had no problems w/ mine Leapers on my Mini 14.  (6-24x50mmAO scope).  Got it for a Ben Franklin and some change.  ONly problem was my fault....the mounts got loose, so I have to go rezero it.  Other then that, I love mine.

Gonna have to get another one for the AR.......(the pain of waiting......)

It's also a lifetime warranty....like those....

Link Posted: 2/5/2001 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that's optimism!  A 6-24x50 scope on a Mini-14!!![:D]

Hey Kaliburz, I was just kidding! [BD]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the Leapers 3x9x40 rubber armored scopes on my rifle and haven't had any problems. I bought it with a flat top riser from Tapco and the whole setup was around $40. I've looked at the Tasco rubber armored scopes and they like just like my Leapers so they might be made by the same company.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I try not to buy Chinese stuff.  Generally, I don't like the commies that run the country.  Second, usually when I find out I accidentally bought something Chinese anyway or I bought something Chinese because that was the only manufacture available (which is happening more and more often), it turns out the product is a POS.  I have to think that anything as finicky as optics are already, from China, would be particularly cheesy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Hambone_22345,

I like my targets to look very, very close....white of the eyes thing or untill I can read 'Pepsi'  ...
[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top