Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 8:12:28 AM EDT
Let's say I'm starting a business, and let's assume it's non-firearm related like a glass shop. I'll employ about 10 employees, pay a going wage, and generally play by the rules.

If, during interviews, I advise prospective employees that I will only hire people that enjoy firearms, and vocally support my second amendment right to do so, will I open my self up for litigation?  Is it unlawful for me to try to hire people that I feel I can get along with and who have the same general viewpoint on a subject that I do?

What I'm trying to do is not wind up with a hostile work environment where someone will feel "uncomfortable" with the discussion of firearms or the carrying of weapons at work.

Am I gonna wind up getting porked on this or not?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
After your initial interviews have some small talk with the perspective employees.  If they don't agree with you entirely just don't call them back for a second interview.  And don't be obvious about it kinda slowly work to it.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
wear a gun during their interview, if they show shock and you don't call them back they'll probably be grateful about not getting a call from some gun-nut.

My hypothetical business is gonna have hypothetical employees though, they don't talk!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Does VA have a CCW law?  Either way, you could say in the interview that you have no problem with people carrying guns in your business, and would that present a problem for them?  If they say "Yes, that's a problem", then you know not to hire them.  If they say "No", then that kind of gives you the opportunity to ask questions like "do you shoot?", "what range do you go to?", etc., that will give an indication of their attitudes on guns and gun ownership.  While this is supposedly still a free country, and you should be able to hire whoever you want to, in the current sue-happy climate, you need to dance around a little bit, or some son-of-a-!@#$% won't have to work for a year or two 'cuz he sued you.

Any errors in grammer, syntax, spelling, etc. are for the benefit of Joe Black.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
hold the interveiws at a shooting range, if they show, they will be good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, now that you've heard some of the wrong answers, Garand Shooter notwithstanding, think of antis. They love to sue for bullshit like emotional stress and job discrimination. DO NOT make firearms an issue. It is ok to know you will not hire anti gun people but THEY cannot know or even suspect that.

An AR on the wall as a "personal trophy" is a great idea. They WILL see it, and if they have a problem probably won't be able to NOT comment. Progun people will see it and comment right away. People with no feeling either way might not notice. But whatever you do, DO NOT make guns a "job" issue unless you want to pay a RABID ANTI GUNNER a years salary for emotional stress and job discrimination.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What I would do is move your business out to the Phoenix, AZ area then you could hire me at a ridiculously high rate of pay and I will be your personel manager and find you a nice group of gun owners to work for you....

Or, Get one of those bumper stickers that say "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and put it where they will see it. Call them back in if you like them and tell them your doing a second interview because you have a lot of good candidates. Id they show to the second interview and don't tell you they got another job or "No thanks" I'm not interested in the position anymore. they might be into guns.

Or you could just simply ask them if they feel uncomfortable around firearms and that you carry a handgun and if this would bother them in their work environment.

Or you can have a gun case in your office and find an excuse to move it to a corner and tell them what it is."Oh in case your wondering what the hell this is it's my AR15 I went to the shooting range this morning and didn't want to leave it in my car....By the way do you happen to like target shooting? If they say no I'm not really into guns or get freaked don't call them back.

Or you can start your business in AZ and not worry because everyone out here has a gun...lol just about everyone anyway...

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top