Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/10/2001 2:51:32 AM EST
Gene stoner said it wasn't needed. The US Army insisted on it. what do you think?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:07:32 AM EST
I've actually used it. Let's say that you [b]"shouldn't"[/b] need it. Could come in handy if people are shooting at you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:07:48 AM EST
No.The cut on the side of the carrier is all you need.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:18:19 AM EST
Never have used it [but I wasn't in combat]. Most people I have talked to say it's not necessary. I feel the designer had it right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:29:54 AM EST
I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it!!!! If you've shot several rounds and your getting gummed up it could be a lifesaver!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:40:55 AM EST
Nope. Mine on my M16 broke during full auto. It somehow got in the way of the carrier. Jam. Ended up taking it out. I have a replacement on order, so I'll eventually have a working one again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:47:33 AM EST
You don't need it, and shouldn't use it. Try and explain to me what situation is made better by ramming a jammed cartridge into the chamber. IMO the forward assist is no different than using a rubber mallet to close the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:02:19 AM EST
The only time I would use it would be to chamber a round without 'slamming' the bolt forward, aka stealth mode.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:21:14 AM EST
I dont think some of you understand the purpose of the forward assist. I have used it several times. Most recently when the gun was a bit dirty with a full magazine it would not let the carrier close all the way do to the above combination. A little push on the assist and all was fine. This is the purpose of the forward assist.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:54:06 AM EST
It has a use, I wish the Fal had one, I know the sand cuts act as one but I dont have one with the cuts. Like Crow said, when you ride the bolt slowly to be quiet and then give a few pushes on it to be sure it`s seated. I`ve never had a jam that can cured by it though, I`m sure it can happen but I haven`t needed it for that
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 6:01:23 AM EST
Israeli Heavy FALs had forward assist. Will fit on any receiver. Bolt needs only slight mod.
Top Top