Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 4:34:01 PM EDT
Got the call from the gun shop to come on down and pick up my new .45 Kimber Polymer Custom in matte black with three shiny new high cap mags.

My only complaints are that I can’t get more than 12rds into any of the $ 99.00 14rd high cap mags no matter how hard I try. Also the adjustable night sites that where being sent with it are on back order.  

The fit is very tight. The finish on the other hand has one glaring problem; there’s a large scuff marring the finish over the barrel chamber above the 45 APC mark.
Other than that it’s a work of art.

I will post a range report sometime next week if I can find a magazine loader for my poor thumbs.

Right now I’m happy, I’m floating on air and that’s not easy to do when are as big a man as I am. Both of my kids asked if they could be the first to shoot it and my wife asked if it was for her. I told the kids that I should shoot it first just in case its defective. After all I would not want them to get hurt. And to my wife I simply said no this ones for meeheeheeheeheeheehee.

THISISME

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The Beer Slayer I would have purchased a Gold match but I wanted a High cap. The Polymer custom is the same Polymer Gold Match except for the sights and I am replacing them and the finish on the PGM is polished. I don’t like light to reflect off my carry guns so I went with the PC with adjustable night sites.  

I ordered a case of 165gr +P Cor-Bon and a case of Aguila .45 ACP IQ and a case S&B to get me started.
Also a Wolffe extra power spring tuning kit. If this baby is as reliable my Glock then it will become my new carry gun.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
THISISME, I hate you.  Maybe one day if I can afford a Kimber, I'll speak to you, but not until then.

Just kidding, congrats on the purchase of a fine pistol.

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats! Kimbers are great guns. My Custom Classic is accurate and reliable. Good trigger too. Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I have mine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Stainless Ultra Carry. Like it alot.

OlDad
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Compact Stainless. Good shooter...
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the family.  I have an Ultra carry CDP.  It became my carry gun after the first trip to the range still have my Glock 30 as a back up but there is something special bout my Kimber......

Cris
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ok, why didn’t any of you guys go for a Kimber High cap?

Does the board seam slow to anybody else or is it just me and my ISP?

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats!!! I have a Gold Match also; its a beautiful work of art and shooter.  My carry  gun is a Kimber Ultra Elite; can't say enough good things about that gun. I have a Pro Elite I have yet to shoot. I think you will be pleased.   [^]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Forgot my Custom Royal thats unfired and locked up. It goes to my daughter.

OlDad
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
THISISME:

Congrats on your Kimber.  I have a SS Target model and SS Ultra Carry.  My Target model is used for competitions (Pins, IDPA, etc.) and the Ultra Carry is my carry piece.  Both are very accurate and totally reliable.  Great pistols.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Kimber Polymer Stainless Pro Carry about 2 years ago when they were still shipping them with one 1 nickel-plated hicap mag. At that time, I was also able to pick up 4 extra hicaps @ $70 each (that was in 1999; now they're about $120). After shooting it I thought it was one of the best .45ACPs being massed produced -- right up until the time I bought my Stainless Gold Combat last year.

It was pretty funny, when I was picking up my Gold Combat from the gun shop; I was mentioning how hard it was to fully load the Kimber hicaps. The owner told me it wasn't any problem for him, so we made a small wager. He bet me a box of Hydra-shocks that he could load one of his brand new, in the package, Kimber hicaps with all 14 rounds on the 1st try.

When he got to number 12 he broke out into a sweat. When he finally got to number 13 (after trying for about 5 minutes) he was thinking about this really hard. As he was trying to load number 14 he almost cracked his glass counter top and sliced his finger on the edge of the counter when his hand slipped.

I carry that box of Hydra-shocks everywhere I go, and I'm thinking about framing it.

After about 2 weeks of letting one of my mags sit in the safe with 12 rounds loaded, I was able to get number 13 in there with no problem. That's enough for me. If I can't get the job done with 2 13-round mags and one in the pipe, I probably shouldn't have been there in the first place...

M4
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
hey THISISME,

Congrats.  I also have a Kimber Custom Polymer.  On the mags, sucks don't it?  I mean, they aren't cheap so why don't they work well out of the box?  Well, mine didn't either.  Don't worry too much yet.  The springs wear in.  Fill them, empty them - repeat. Let sit fully loaded overnight(as you can get them).  Do all of this repeatedly for a few days and they will break in some.  if your thumbs hold out.

Mine is a great shooter. Shoots to POA out of the box.  Never fails to feed.  The only "problem" with mine is the plunger tube extension sticks out so far it takes 3 hands to reassemble after cleaning.  Other than that - good to go.

James

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt M4 Carbine, I love that story.

Jimmybcool I will load them all up to twelve ASAP and get the process started.

After hearing everyone’s posts I get the feeling this wont be the last Kimber I buy.

I still need to know where I can find +P HP .45 ammo y the case at a reasonable price.
Dang, the ammo cost me as much as the Kimber and three mags.
I like the 165gr +P Cor-Bon because it has a flatter trajectory and deep penetration but the best price I could find was $ 32.00 per box of 50.

Anyone know a good source for Cor-Bon by the case or perhaps Triton Hi-Vel 165gr +P?

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My gold match is Extreamly accurate.
View Quote

True. Very true. However, the functioning on mine sucked big time. Sent it back to the factory twice and they still didn't get it to feed and fire reliably. Second time was better, but not every time I pulled the trigger. Hand polishing the chamber and greased to the max it works ok. It is tighter than a Mother Superior's
......well, I can't say that, can I? Needed some serious breaking in, but even in it's jam every other round mode, it was ACCURATE. It is very mag sensitive. Kinda like an expensive girlfriend. Ya gotta pamper her before she'll treat you right. IMHE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top