Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2001 5:51:16 AM EDT
Looking for a used play thing. Looking at the 16-18ft walk thru type. There seems to be a lot of Bayliners available. Most have in boards. Some are outboards. What are your opinions of Force engines? Let me hear your thoughts.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for force engines and I can't speak for anything Bayliner has made in the past five years. However, I know that Bayliner was notorious for being poorly built in the late 80's and early 90's.

IMO you can't go wrong with anything Searay builds or Four Winns that are Mercruiser powered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Bayliners have a real reputation as a low cost, get what you pay for, beginners boat.

Check out a used Sea Ray or something a little better.

Beware the hidden costs.  Gas, storage & insurance were only 1/2 my total costs.

[i]2 best days in a Boater's life - the day he buys his boat and the day he unloads his boat.[/i]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Fight for your rights is very accurate with his quote on 2 happy days in a boat owners life...my father has been telling me that for years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had two Force engines, and they were CRAP.

Bwilder is right on. Go with a Mercruiser. Damn good engines. I prefer inboards, because you can get more power out of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Force is/was Mercury's low-end outboard.
Cheap electronics (powerpacks, stater etc)
If memory serves me right, Force is no longer in production.
If you are going to use it hard everyday I would stay away. However, if you want it for an occasional pleasure ride around the lake, it might be okay. You are going to have problems with any outboard, so check around for a mechanic that is capable of fixing them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I can turn my own wrenches for the most part.
I like the idea of the out-drive due to its automotive origins & 4 stroke. The outboard gives you more room in the boat, but is more dificult to work on IMHO. What about glassmaster? I found a 16ft with a 50hp Johnson on it. Seems underpowered, but for grins it might be ok. Shouldnt drink to much gas either.
Scott

Edited due to terminology learned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Wellcraft makes a nice boat.
You might want to look for a few issues of boating magazines to help you decide. Maybe at the library or a book exchange place. Trailer Boats magazine is one I've enjoyed.
And do you mean an out-drive instead of an inboard?
The only inboards I've seen in that size range are dedicated skiboats like Mastercraft.
The main reason they're configured that way is because there's little bow rise during acceleration.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
For the money, you can't beat a Bayliner. Theres nothing wrong with a Force engine. Just maintain it like any other outboard.

I lean more towards I/O because they're quieter, more dependable, fuel efficient, and I don't have to mix the fuel(although newer outboards are oil injected).

Look for a later model Bayliner Capri. They are slowly fazing out the wood in their boats.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Force is/was Mercury's low-end outboard.
Cheap electronics (powerpacks, stater etc)
If memory serves me right, Force is no longer in production.
If you are going to use it hard everyday I would stay away. However, if you want it for an occasional pleasure ride around the lake, it might be okay. You are going to have problems with any outboard, so check around for a mechanic that is capable of fixing them.
View Quote

Yep, youre right. I think they stopped making them in 95.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look for a later model Bayliner Capri. They are slowly fazing out the wood in their boats.
View Quote

That is the model that caught my eye. It is in very good shape (been covered), but it has a 115hp Force on it. Can get it for about $2500.
Probably due to the engine on it.
There are a bunch of Out drive boats in the same price range, but they have sun damage to the upholstry. Trade offs I guess.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 1990 Sunbird with the OMC/FORD 4 cly.  The boat was nice, sold but too heavy.  It ran good and was somewhat dependable for a boat.  I made up my mind that it would be my last I/O.  The outdrive was a pain to deal with.  It occasionally leaked and I had bearing problems.  There are too many holes for water to come in.  I now have an 18ft pontoon rigged for fishing.  A much better boat for me and the family.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
To the best of my knowledge Force outboards were manufactured by Chrysler outboards.  Bayliners haven't been built in the last 5 yrs.  I think.  There is no such thing as a no maintenence boat.  If you buy one, you will always spend money keeping it up.  Evinrude, Honda, Yamaha are great outboards.  There is an industry shift toward 4 stroke outboards because of emmissions standards.  My Uncle recently purchased a Honda 4 stroke 50 hp outboard, It idles so low you can't hardly hear it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the model that caught my eye. It is in very good shape (been covered), but it has a 115hp Force on it. Can get it for about $2500.
Probably due to the engine on it.
There are a bunch of Out drive boats in the same price range, but they have sun damage to the upholstry. Trade offs I guess.
Scott
View Quote

Thats what I have. Besides the 85hp Force on it, its been a good boat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#14]

[i]2 best days in a Boater's life - the day he buys his boat and the day he unloads his boat.[/i]
View Quote

BEAT ME TO IT
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Talked to my dad, he told me Force outboards were a combo of either Mercury power heads and Chrysler lower units or the other way around.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats what I have. Besides the 85hp Force on it, its been a good boat.
View Quote

Whats been wrong with the force you have?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
A boat is a hole in the water that you constantly try to fill with money.  The bigger the boat, the bigger the hole.

Get a used Bayliner.  It's already depreciated about as much as it ever will, as long as you don't break something.  If, after 3 years, you are still in love with boating, sell it and get something really nice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]
bayliner 1st year = pleasure boat

bayliner 2nd year = jimbo's catfish'n boat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Bayliner is definitely a good value!  I've seen them take incredible abuse above and beyond the call of duty.  Personally, I like Glastron products.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#20]
For $2500 you're getting a deal. Jump on it and enjoy the summer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a jetboat 1976 model low profile hull 18' with Ford 460 475hp. I bought this thing in my early 20's and completely restored it. I'm now in my late 30's and yearn for a more comfortable ride, but all the labor of love I have put into this boat keeps me from selling it as I know it would be my last hot rod on water.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out [url]http://www.genmar.com[/url] all of their products are of good quality or better.

As others have said, stay away from Bayliner and Force.  The big size Bayliners are good though, like the cabin cruiser types.

Think real hard before you buy a boat.  If you don't live on a lake, you'll hardly use it.  I live on a lake and didn't even bother putting my dock out last year!

Boats are money pits.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Slight correction:  The two best days in a boater's life are when he buys his powerboat, and when he gets rid of it to buy a sailboat.

The rule with boats is, you are going to have problems with everything.  An fresh-water cooled inboard is the best type of engine.  A sterndrive (I/O)is the worst type of engine.  The reason is that with a stern drive you have an inboard engine with an outboard drive.  That's twice the complexity and twice the potential problems of an inboard.  An outboard is a nice compromise, especially a four stroke.  

Accessibility is the key, since you will either be doing most of the repair work yourself or someone will charge you a lot for labor, and the harder something is to get to, the more it will cost.  Yamaha makes the best outboards, Mercury is next.

I have owned a stern drive boat and have friends that have also.  I can't say this enough:  unless you are on a lake and are buying the boat new or like new, stay away from them.  They are nightmares.   I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me, except to sink it for insurance money.

Of course the abosulute best engine is a diesel, but you'll not find one of those on a cheap runabout.

Good luck.

Bill Wallace
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy a Boston Whaler and never look back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top