Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 11:29:15 PM EDT
First, I want to know what you guys consider to be the best magazine (20/30rds) in terms of quality and reliability?  What is the worst?

Second, I've read most of you say that USGI metal mags with metal followers are the best.  However, in discussions with a Marine buddy of mine, he claims that most of their 30rd M16 Mags have metal bodies but plastic followers.  He also claims that there are very few magazine related problems.  Any comments?

-Red-
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Best AR 30's are any new in wrap "NIW" USGI mags or 80% or better if you can't get new ones. Best 30 USGI's are Colt, Center Industries, Parsons, Okay & Adventure line.(I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two) Do a search on Mag FAQ to get the link or if some else posts it. It has all the info you need. The ones people are talking about with the metal followers are the USGI 20 rounders mostly Colt & Simmonds.Thermolds and Orlites are good, too. STAY AWAY FROM USA MAGS, they are much lower quality and not reliable.

John
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW- Most USGI 30 rounders all have plastic followers. The older ones are Black and the newer ones are green and are supossed to be better because the legs are longer so it won't cant during the last few rounds.

John
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually prefer orlite or thermold. I once goto prone too fast with an AR with Aluminum GI mag.  The Mag hit the ground and Split along the weld dumping the rounds. I don't know if a plastic mag will crack if it had gone though the same treatment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top