Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 7:54:12 PM EDT
Has anyone noticed that the new Berets they will be issuing us have a very UN looking flash on them? That shade of blue is almost a perfect match for the UN color it seems.

[img]http://www.army.mil/beret/images/beretpage_r01_c11.jpg[/img]

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost like someone is secretly preparing for something...I need more ammo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This explains the dispossesions of the Rangers from black beanies to tan.  Universal black can be made anywhere by anybody, and not be off color.  Guess what i need to add to my pile of goodies?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This explains the dispossesions of the Rangers from black beanies to tan.  Universal black can be made anywhere by anybody, and not be off color.  Guess what i need to add to my pile of goodies?
View Quote

Tan is better. You can tigerstripe it with
camo grease when you do your face. Black profiles to much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
It is, but the design also has legitimate historical precident and that color blue is the infantry color. It will be a moot point in a few years anyway as individual commands each adopt a unique flash.
View Quote

Hence the BLUE background on the CIB.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do Rangers wear their berets on missions?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
It is, but the design also has legitimate historical precident and that color blue is the infantry color. It will be a moot point in a few years anyway as individual commands each adopt a unique flash.
View Quote

Well Army colors are black and gold, whay not a gold flash then? They are gonna look butt ugly in a flight suit anyway.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Do Rangers wear their berets on missions?
View Quote

WEDO! Never take it off except for sex!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed that the new Berets they will be issuing us have a very UN looking flash on them? That shade of blue is almost a perfect match for the UN color it seems.
View Quote

Anybody really surprised?  There have been forces at work to bring this about for a long time.

GW said that he wanted to pull us out of the UN - let's see if he can pull it off.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Great... a symbol of unity in my new Army of one..

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aviator
View Quote
The OWAOO, One World Army of One.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Hate that new commercial...
Glad that I already had my "black hat".
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Avaitor,

How long before the Nat'l Guards will want them too? *envisions black berets with state seal flash*

-[blue]ChaZ[/blue]
View Quote

I think that could fly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hate that new commercial...
Glad that I already had my "black hat".
View Quote

What do retired Rangers do; Black or Tan?
What lays on the Casket at taps?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If memory serves, the Russian Naval Infantry used to wear the black beret also.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If memory serves, the Russian Naval Infantry used to wear the black beret also.
View Quote

Thats where the Black Beret belongs, the NAVY!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
At Taps?

I will ask for nothing but the Red, White & Blue.

And I already let it be known, all of the medals go to my kids. Let science take what is needed.(I suggest that they leave the liver alone) burn the rest. And sprinkle my ashes over Range 4, Quantico Va.

But, the answer to your question would be "black". After the switch to "tan"..... ask a Ranger.

Lew
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Aviator
View Quote

Don't get me started on that piece of crap.

As to brerets... First. I never earned the honor of wearing one. And in the Army(In "the day") It was an honor. It is that [expletive deleted] [explitive deleted] "Lowest common denomator" thinking again!

"Let's make EVERYONE special!"

And besides all that. They are bloody French!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#19]
By the way, the National Guard will get berets..
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

reserves too, although i personally disagree with this policy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#21]
M15A2:
Rangers do not wear berets on real missions, its either BDU cap or (most often) helment.

True stuff!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I heard anyone finishing basic training is going to get Special Forces Patches and a Medal of Honor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I heard anyone finishing basic training is going to get Special Forces Patches and a Medal of Honor.
View Quote

lol. I wouldnt be surprised.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

reserves too, although i personally disagree with this policy.
View Quote

Not gonna get in a pissing contest here, but most of the guys I know in the Guard have many years active duty. Guard units are being deployed to the same places now that active duty is. Better loose that "holier than thou" attitude because odds are that the next big stink that hapens you will probably be elbow to elbow with a lot of Guard troops...

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Aviator, what's the point of working to be in an elite unit if you don't get some bragging rights?  Not all Military service is equal.  Some people have it a lot harder.

Not that I am bitching, you understand.  I enlisted in the Marines and did almost eight years of "Hard Time."  Three years as a tanker (MOS 1811) and my last four as a Grunt (0341).  

I could have gone into a "soft" MOS, or the Guard, or, bite your tounge, the Air Force but I wanted to be a hard charger.  A lot of people on the soft side of the military think they have it tough only because they have no idea how hard some of the other specialties are.

I love to hear airmen, for example, complaining about having to eat bag lunches on the flight line because they are too busy to go to the "dining facility."  In their minds this is probably an equal hardship to a month of arctic warfare training.  But "thinking doesn't make it so."

While  I don't think we should kiss the military's butts, we should at least grant a little respect to people who don't use the military as a job service.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, the post I was replying to was someone saying that he did not think the Guard or Reserves deserved to wear the berets. personally I do not tink that any of us should wear them but SF , rangers and such. But this guy was making pointed remarks about the non-active guys which I think is BS. Guard units have come al long way ince the days of "Southern Comfort".

Second, no, not all of us are/were grunts. And yes, I like that after a day of flying I can end up in the rear and have a cold one and a shower. This does not mean however that I have not put my ass on the line. I have, and still would in a second agree to take a mission that was very risky to drag some poor grunts ass out on a medivac, or resupply a unit that was getting the shit kicked out of it and needed more ammo, water, or MREs. When an aircraft comes over a firefight, what do you think the bad guys shoot at? Most of em pick the juicy target.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#29]
"Effective 14 June 2001, the first Army birthday in the new millennium, the black beret will become standard wear in The Army--Active and Reserve Components. Sergeant Major of the Army Tilley will lead the effort to craft implementing guidelines, including indoctrination standards that all Soldiers will meet before they are authorized to wear the beret. Special operations and airborne units will retain their distinctive berets."

What "indoctrination standards"? Like, "Hey guys, now you're part of the UN Army not the US Army?"

Bite me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I have, and still would in a second agree to take a mission that was very risky to drag some poor grunts ass out on a medivac, or resupply a unit that was getting the shit kicked out of it and needed more ammo, water, or MREs. When an aircraft comes over a firefight, what do you think the bad guys shoot at? Most of em pick the juicy target.

Aviator
View Quote

Yeah, but we are not exactly involved in a lot of wars, are we?  All the gung-ho talk is fine, but in our predominantly peace-time military most people have relatively easy jobs compared to Grunts (Not meaning to slight Corpsmen, Field Radio Men, Combat Engineers, and other direct infantry support.)

Even peace-time training is difficult for the infantry.  I mean physically and mentally, in a way that an Airman First Class can not imagine.

I'm not saying that you are not preforming an essential service, or that you are a coward, or even that you don't have fighting spirit.  I just observed that the elite units earn their "bragging rights through rigourous and physically difficult training.  Since everybody gets paid the same (except that REMFs pick up pay-grades faster) the only meaningful professional currency is the recognition given for exceptional service.

I guess that's why the gunshows are not full of overweight, BDU-wearing guys telling lies about being in Motor Transport.

If I were a soldier I'd be embarrased to wear a black beret that I didn't earn.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Being from Canada,,, the Canadian Army has worn the beret at least since mid WWII in various colours and guises.

Tan went out of service shortly after the Korean War I believe. Green is the current standard colour,, while various branches have their own colour.

Armoured Corps: Black
Military Police: Red
Para: Maroon

The Artillery used to wear a dark blue (almost black) beret,, but stopped using it after integration in the late 1960s.

While on UN service,, the light UN Blue beret is worn.

As for field use,, it doesn't keep the sun out of your eyes,, and your ears are exposed as well,, anyway,, the combat cap or helmet is worn.

The airforce now wears a slinky sky blue beret,, and the navy has adopted the black beret as well.

Uniformity is maintained throughout the services,, with no distinction made between components of service. The regular force, primary reserve or militia all dress the same (common dress regulations).
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Just curious, does the black beret fit over the tin foil hat, your only protection from the UN.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gus Laskaris:

Yeah, but we are not exactly involved in a lot of wars, are we?

Even peace-time training is difficult for the infantry.  I mean physically and mentally, in a way that an Airman First Class can not imagine.
View Quote

We are however involved in a lot of "Peace Keeping Missions".

Training wise. Our training may not seem as physical as a grunts, but you try spending a day replacing an engine, then when it gets dark (0-10% illumination) strapping a pair of night vision goggles on your already heavy flight helmet and cruising around at or below tree top level (60-100 knots) trying your hardest not to find some powerlines, dead trees, or any of 100 things that can really ruin your night. Make the checkpoints when required, pick the grunts up ( a whole other issue dealing with some of the pax) and dropping em off where they need to be. Get back and do a Daily on the bird and put it to bed. I'll bet you are pretty damn whooped. May not seem as tough as humping a ruck through a gully, but it will damn sure wipe your ass out about as much.

I am also not saying I like the idea of us wearing the damn berets. As I have said, the high speed types can have them for all I care. Certainly ones with UN looking flashes.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, sure.  I'm not saying your job is not difficult or highly skilled.  But with apologies, you have a basically "sit down job."  Hell,  I work at a desk and I sometimes go home "wiped."  Driving all night will "wipe" me.  But these things are nothing compared to good, hard infantry field training.

Take for example Mountain Warfare Training.  You are no only humping a pack, but you are humping it up the sides of mountains and up cliffs.  It is not a casual thing that one can laugh off.  And then you are not just on a camping trip, there are training objectives to be met.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top