Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 7:26:03 PM EDT
Please help with some general info on gun laws there.  

Due to my job, I might have to relocate to Hartford for approximately 6-8 months.  I have a general idea that I'm heading into enemy territory but what exactly am I in for?  If it's too much of a PITA I guess I could leave my guns behind, but I'm sure you all understand why I'm not crazy about that idea.  I'm not interested in any laws considering the purchase of anything.  I'm sure I could hold off without buying anything new for half a year.  Mainly just wondering if they have any mandatory registration BS and whether or not this would affect me as I wouldnt really be a resident.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go.

[url]http://www.state.ct.us/dps/special.htm[/url]

There was a mandatory registration of
"assault weapons" (pre bans), but
I was out of state when all of that
took place. The deadline has since passed for registration and any "assault weapons" brought into the state by RESIDENTS must be surrendered or rendered inoperable.
There are no current mandatory registrations.
If you carry a handgun in a motor vehicle
or outside of your residence you will
need a permit to carry.

Stay out of Mass.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
Here you go.

took place. The deadline has since passed for registration and any "assault weapons" brought into the state by RESIDENTS must be surrendered or rendered inoperable.
need a permit to carry.

Stay out of Mass.
View Quote

hope you keep em out of state with friends, sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch.  Not what I was wanting to hear although I kinda expected it.  Thx guys
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You could apply for a Ct pistol permit by your coming here on a live in basis. There are no pistol type/trigger pull/round # laws that affect your choice of handgun (other than owning a postban magazine).
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
"Stay out of Mass"

How is Connecticut a better option.

1) I don't need a seperate license to carry
2) I can buy and own all the black guns I want

The only thing better in Connecticut is that you can buy new pistols that aren't Mass complaint, but I can buy any pistol made before 10/98.  I just bought a Glock G19 with 2 15 round pre ban mags for $435.

I'll take used pistols anyday over no AKs or ARs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Here you go.

need a permit to carry.

Stay out of Mass.
View Quote

This is not entirely correct.  If you read the law at [url]www.nraila.com[/url] and look up Connecticut gun laws, you will find the Connecticut AW ban.  The state ban has no evil features clause like the Federal ban.  Instead it lists weapons that are "contraband", and that is all.  The ONLY AR on the list is the Colt AR15 and Colt Sporter.  Hence, only Colt PreBans are illegal in CT now.  ALL OTHER PREBAN CLONES ARE 100% LEGAL.  I verified this with CT State Police Firearms Unit when I bought my Preban Bushy CAR15 back in December.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Stay out of Mass"

How is Connecticut a better option.

1) I don't need a seperate license to carry
2) I can buy and own all the black guns I want

The only thing better in Connecticut is that you can buy new pistols that aren't Mass complaint, but I can buy any pistol made before 10/98.  I just bought a Glock G19 with 2 15 round pre ban mags for $435.

I'll take used pistols anyday over no AKs or ARs.
View Quote

Well, I don't need a stupid FID card, and you must admit it is stupid, to own magazines, cartridges, and firearms.  Once one has a pistol permit in CT, and there is only one class of pistol permits in CT unlike the two classes of FID cards in MA, he or she can buy long guns with now wait.  Oh, and you will also find good deals on Glocks here in CT as well. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Their are 4 classes of licenses in Mass.

Class A: Large Capacity LTC Pistol Permit (with this permit you can but any large capacity weapon or pistol)

Class B: Less then 6 round pistols and rifles

Class C: Rifles and Shotguns less then 6 rounds

Class D: Pepper spray

Once you have a class A or B license you don't need an FID.

It really isn't a big deal, all you have to do is ask for the class "A" and you get it, there aren't any extra requirements.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#10]
And there is no waiting period here either.

I'm a little confused by your first sentence, you don't need a License to own firearms in CT?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And there is no waiting period here either.

I'm a little confused by your first sentence, you don't need a License to own firearms in CT?
View Quote

If you have a pistol permit or a hunting license, you can walk in to any gun shop and walk out with a long gun. If you don't have either of the above, there is a two week waiting period.

You do not need any license or permit to buy a long gun. But you will need to wait two weeks to get it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
STAY OUT OF MASS MEANS:
As you enter the commonwealth you may or may not notice
the signs posted warning of mandatory jail
time for bringing certain firearms into their state. Depends on where you enter.
NOW seeing as Tras will be working in Hartford,
I'd say that CT is a better option.
BUT if you are in the NW corner and need to
fill up your car with gas, by
all means go to Mass.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Why would I lool at NRAILA as opposed to CT DPS
for gun laws in CT?
If you look at the link it has 'em all,
AND explains how to get a permit.
Pre bans refers to ARs
I did not see a need to list specifics that are listed on the DPS site.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Why would I lool at NRAILA as opposed to CT DPS
for gun laws in CT?
If you look at the link it has 'em all,
AND explains how to get a permit.
Pre bans refers to ARs
I did not see a need to list specifics that are listed on the DPS site.
View Quote

Weasel, if you don't beleive me call Detective Joseph Kubish at the Firearms Unit of CT State Police.  There is no such thing as Pre/Post Ban in the CT state ban, just "BANNED" as there is no grandfather clause.  The term PreBan is only relevent in the context of the Federal AW Ban, as it has a grandfather clause. Look up which guns are banned AND THAT IS ALL THE GUNS THAT ARE BANNED IN CT.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It is the listed guns that had to be registered back in 1993.  The reason I suggested nraila is b/c it lists all the weapons that CT has banned.  I didn't see that list in your link, perhaps I just missed it.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
It's there. [:)]
Do me a favor and follow a link
before becoming a critic.
I hate typing, that's why I used a link
to provide specifics.
I only posted a BRIEF synopsis.
I suppose someday there will be a court ruling
to determine what the
legislators meant
when they placed Bushmaster Auto Rifle on the list of semi auto firearms to be registered
by the deadline.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks a million for all the info.  I'm still confused though.  These friggin laws tend to do that.  I just know that I don't want to register anything.  About the "90 days" provision though: seems to me that it would be awfully hard for them to know how long I had something in the state.  Something to think about.. [:\]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
STAY OUT OF MASS MEANS:
As you enter the commonwealth you may or may not notice
the signs posted warning of mandatory jail
time for bringing certain firearms into their state.
View Quote

A relic of the Dukakis years. Mike Dukakis was the Dem. gov. of MA, when he signed the law into effect. The "one year mandatory jail sentence for illegal gun possession" law is considered a joke up here. The Dukakoids have left, thankfully, although the present Republican gov., Jane Swift, is no friend to gun owners either...

Most, if not all, of those signs were taken down about ten years ago when Bill Weld became governor. He used to hand them out as party favors to his hunting buddies.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
GW, my critiquing was not about your link, I just didn't happen to see that I had to follow another part of the link to find the list.  What I tried to clear up was your statement bellow.  I thought that telling someone who doesn't know the laws that "prebans" are illegal would be misleading b/c the state ban does not apply to all prebans.  That's why I posted the info about the CT AW list.  Maybe I should have been more clear.

Originally Posted By garden weasel

View Quote

Tras, if your guns do not appear on this list you can bring them with you to CT.

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What about the "Bushmaster Auto Rifle" that was on the list?  I mean, what the hell is that?  I own a couple Bushmasters, but none of them wear that name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top