Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 2:23:40 PM EDT
I'm looking for a high quality bag for 40-80 degree F temperature range.  Roomy and light weight, if possible.  Right now I'm looking at the Wiggy's model.

TIA!  DaMan
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Troy!  I thought that Wiggy's was the "creme de la creme" in sleeping bags..... but wanted to check if there was anything better out there!  Comfortable sleep is valuable!

DaMan  
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
40 to 80 degrees doesn't even require a fart sack!  If it's not going to get any colder than that, try using a poncho liner, inside of a Army sleeping bag cover.  It will fit in a butt pack, and cost you about 30 bucks.  I humped this combination regularly when I was in.
Good luck!

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got poncho liners.  They don't cut it when you get close to 40 degrees.  DaMan
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try the newer Thinuslite (SP?) poncho liners.  They're sold by US Cav or Brigade QM I think.  Haven't tried one but they're supposed to be a lot warmer than the issue liners but still pack down small.  A lot lighter than carrying a seperate bag.

Good Luck.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're set on a bag go with the wiggy Desert Bag. Stuffs down to 6x12 and weighs apprx. 2.5 lbs. A little heaviewr than a P liner but you will sleep....not wake up every 20 mins trying to get warm. FYI: wiggy offers about a 40% discount to active duty. He's a great guy to deal with.

Another option is a P liner with a light weight Gortex bivy. This combo is good down to the low 40's and will keep you reasonably dry in the suck. A light pad is important also. I'd go with the waffle foam ones. They weigh in at about 18 oz and add a great deal of warmth. The whole system should come it at about 3 lbs and is very flexiable in a variety of situations.

Stay away from down for tactical situations. It's great for campers that can stay in the tent when it's raining but will get you dead in a military situation.

My .02. hope it helps.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top