Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 7:04:31 AM EDT
My wife just got back from Vons, a local Supermarket chain. There is a newfangled idea that will be the norm soon.
Seems like you go get your ice cream, put it into your cart, go to the checkout line, swipe item(s) though scanner, swipe your card for payment, tear off reciept, bag your own groceries and all this for the same price as the full serve. What a deal, huh?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Our local Kroger has a couple of these too.  You can pay by card or cash, and there is a clerk there if you want to pay by check.  I have used it before, but only if I get a couple of things, pay by cash and the other lines are too long.  Other wise, I usually use the regular lines.  I figure, the price is the same, why get the checkers out of work, they are there anyways.

CH
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
For you TEOTWAATWKI types, this is just one more step to a cashless society. What`s your number?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
That system makes it easier for the less honest people to forget to swipe a few items.  But really, it was a honest mistake.

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
They have the automated alarms at the doors, that say 'you have just set off an alarm, please wiat for a automated moron to come and frisk you down'.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there any additional charge for the "Automated Moron Frisk"?  In my neighborhood, that qualifies as a date!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They have the automated alarms at the doors, that say 'you have just set off an alarm, please wiat for a automated moron to come and frisk you down'.
View Quote

A few months ago I bought a DSS system at Walmart.  Paid 50 bucks and was walking out of the store... alarm alarm klingons attacking.. oops. well you get the drift.  I turned around and waited about 30 seconds.  Nobody even looked at me.  Well, out the door I went.  If they didn't do what was necessary when I purchased the system, screw em.

I hate those as much as the damn people checking your bags when you leave certain stores.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The krogers out here all have those now. They also have the shoplifting things by the doors, but I have yet to open a jar of peanut butter that had a sensor in it.

I will use it if I am getting just a newspaper or a coke or something. Beyond a few items the computer and scale makes it a giant PITA, and takes even longer than just having the $5 an hour big-haired soul sister at the register do it for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A few months ago I bought a DSS system at Walmart.  Paid 50 bucks and was walking out of the store... alarm alarm klingons attacking.. oops. well you get the drift.  I turned around and waited about 30 seconds.  Nobody even looked at me.  Well, out the door I went.  If they didn't do what was necessary when I purchased the system, screw em.

I hate those as much as the damn people checking your bags when you leave certain stores.
View Quote

I set the sensors off at walmart all the time because the stupid people working the registers don't understand how to do their job. Then the mentally impaired (not being rude, that's what he is) EEO employee can't figure out what set it off, the bag of chips, the package of picture hooks, or the VCR. 20 minutes later I finally get back to my car. I have hated having to go to walmart for a long time now.

Places like some sams and some targets that want to search your bags I tell them to fuck off. You are not required by law to comply and without a search warrant they cannot make you. If I bought enough crap to go through the register, have it bagged by them, then carry the bags they filled with MY stuff to the door, they have no right to accuse me of shoplifting. Because that is what they are doing when they detain you like that, BTW.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
On those self-serve checkouts, if you look the bag area is actually a giant scale.  If you scan something, the machine knows how much it is supposed to weigh, and expects it to be put in the bag and left there until you are done with ALL the groceries.  The only way to get away with not paying for something is leaving it in the cart, and that's a little obvious.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Those self-serve checkouts are awesome. They garauntee you will not be stuck in line behind some moron trying to write an out-of-state check with no ID, and the ones in the Fry's stores here take cash. They limit you to 15 items, which is usually about all I ever pick up anyway (unless there is a sale on ramen noodles).

-Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top