Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 3:51:19 AM EDT
A few folks have disagreed strongly with some of my posts below on anti-cop threads. That's fine, this is America, and everyones entitled to voice their opinion, even if it disagrees with mine. That doesn't mean my opinions have changed. I make no secret of my distain for those in law enforcment who use the authority that comes with their badge to bully, hurt, or intimidate people, or for those who look the other way when their peers do it. I also want to say to those FEW who do "Serve" the public good rather than exploit it, "BRAVO". It's too bad your peers are lousing things up, and turning people against you! Rest assured, law-enforcement did not loose my respect or support overnight, nor with any single incident, but over time with many negative experiences. I do firmly believe that, while I enjoy voicing my distain for law enforcment, directing it toward individuals in uniform is not the answer. The answer lies in changing the fundamental institutions and power given to these officers through the legislative processes outlined under our state and federal constitutions. Law enforcment is a nessisary evil that society simply cannot do without, that is true, but citizens should also not have to live in constant fear of, or with resentment for, these officials because some are allowed to freely abuse their authority with little or no fear of consequence, because those they abuse have little recourse, and their peers find it easier to ignore their behavior, than to interceed! Yes, I believe that the role, and powers of law-enforcment need to be limited, checked, and re-defined. I certainly don't think I'm the only one who feels this way, but I hope that the changes that need to be made can come about through people motivating their representatives in government, rather than in response to open civil disobediance, hostility, and rebellion like we have seen in the streets of some of our major cities in recent years. Of course if we see the kind of progress made on this issue as we have seen made in the area of Gun Control, there will certainly be more conflict ahead, but these problems didn't develop overnight, and I doubt they will be resolved any time soon either. All I'm saying is to be sure you've called your congressman before you throw anything at the riot-brigade marching down your street!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
BRAVO!

Also keep in mind that bad laws make good cops appear bad while simply doing their job as a LEO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I filed formal complaints against the dickwads that f*cked with me.

Might not do much good but....

Now those pricks got dents on their records.

Sure looks good when promotion time comes around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Calling your Congressman and having them get rid of some of these stupid laws is definetly the right idea.  As a law officer I see all kinds of laws that I think are stupid.  Yes these laws do put one in a bad spot from time to time.

As far as calling and filing complaints, that's a waste of time and I'll tell you why.  Nearly every single person I issue a citation to calls and complains.  They aren't calling to complain that I was rude or beat the crap out of them or anything.  The complaints are generally "I can't believe officer so and so had the nerve to stop me and issue me a citation for driving 80 MPH through a 25 MPH school zone when I was late for work!"  

These kind of ridiculous complaints have really numbed law enforcement supervisors into thinking everyone is crying wolf.  That the reason you get the standard "We'll look into it." line.

I certainly agree that law officers should not look the other way when a fellow cop does wrong.  I think citizens have the same duty too.  For instance when your buddy is gripping to you about the ticket he got in the above scenario.  Tell him to shut, pay his fine, and quit driving like a maniac all the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As far as calling and filing complaints, that's a waste of time and I'll tell you why.  Nearly every single person I issue a citation to calls and complains.  They aren't calling to complain that I was rude or beat the crap out of them or anything.  The complaints are generally "I can't believe officer so and so had the nerve to stop me and issue me a citation for driving 80 MPH through a 25 MPH school zone when I was late for work!"  

These kind of ridiculous complaints have really numbed law enforcement supervisors into thinking everyone is crying wolf.  That the reason you get the standard "We'll look into it." line.

I certainly agree that law officers should not look the other way when a fellow cop does wrong.  I think citizens have the same duty too.  For instance when your buddy is gripping to you about the ticket he got in the above scenario.  Tell him to shut, pay his fine, and quit driving like a maniac all the time.
View Quote

The buttwipe that I filed a formal complaint against is a real bad apple.

I have been contacted by attorneys/D.A.'s and a P.I. at least four times since I filed it.  All representing cases that didn't concern me.

I have even been issued a subpoena.  This case didn't even concern me.  They wanted me to be a character witness or something.  I later found out that this case was dropped.

Every time that a*shole steps out of line they look up his record and see the numerous complaints.

That particular cop just can't seem to stay out of trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top