Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/8/2001 1:13:21 AM EST
I have come across a little extra money, and am thinking of one of the two: 1) A nice, used Springfield M1A bush model. 2) Customizing my Colt Competition HBAR with free-floating handguard, trigger job, and possibly high-end scope (Leupold, Dr.Optics, or used U.S Optics SN-4). Keep in mind that I do own several AR's, although not in any "long distance" sniper configuartions- and I don't currently own any M1A type. I do own a custom 700 for long, distance .308 duty work. Any feedback is appreciated. thanks, ptp
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:19:31 AM EST
Go with the M1A! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:33:29 AM EST
Keep in mind, since I don't currently own an M1A system, I'll have to restock on everything (ie. mags, extra .308, scope mounts, parts, etc.) that I won't have to for my AR. Just my .02c thanks, ptp
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:10:54 AM EST
That's what makes it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:01:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/8/2001 3:00:17 AM EST by AR_Rifle]
Venture out and be bold! Get the M1A!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:36:43 AM EST
Actualy the scope and mounts could be interchangable and if you already own a 700 in .308 you alread have ammo. If you reload you'll want to keep brass seperate, but ather than that magazines are the only issue. You do need a self loading .308 and if the wife gives you any crap you just send her over to see mtnpatriot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:27:57 AM EST
I have a M1A and love it dearly, I would sooner give up any other rifle in my collection. Not to go against Halfcocked, but interchanging scopes is a slow and tedious process. Dedicated optics is the way to go. Zero weapon, forget about it, check every so often to insure zero is still valid. I would shoot the M1a sans optics for a good long time. If you get a good one with NM sights you will be able to smack people sized targets out to 600 yds. I tried to scope mine and eventually took it off to save wieght. Now I wont go back. There is not a better iron sight system than the NM M1A/M14
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:34:03 AM EST
M1A.If you dont get the mags now they wont be anything but more expensive.I bought mine when you could grt them for 10.00.Now I have enough that there worth more than the 3 M1A's I own.ever try to explain that to an insurance company.Everyone might want to add up there acc.you might be surprised how much it would be to replace them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:59:35 AM EST
Get the M1A.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:04:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/8/2001 5:04:48 AM EST by garandman]
PTP - What's your plans for the Bush M1A?? I'm guessing NOT match shooting with a BUSH rifle. For anything BUT match shooting in a semi auto .308, I would get a DSA STG-58A. Here's why - 1. Rifle and scope mount - $868. 2. Mags - $5 to $8 3. Integrated bipod 4. AR-type recoil. 5. Pistol grip 6. Adjustable gas - can be turned into a single shot. No recoil = bolt gun accuracy (almost.) At least enuf accuracy to rival the M1A. 7. Fit and finish rivalling anything Springfield Armory is currently uttin out. (Yes, I own an M1A. 8. Take teh money saved and buy GOOD optics, and 2 cases of ammo. At least think it over.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:42:41 AM EST
I agree with you Rich. The only reason I brought it up was P-tP expressed concern about it in his 2nd post. BTW the actual mounts would not be inter- changeable (not needed but may improve stock/cheek weld on AR)but the rings would be. Quality scope mount or riser for AR will be cheaper, if that's the way you want to go. I used the Weaver See-thru rings and it gives the 50mm bell on my Leuplod about 3/8" clearance with no additional screws to come loose and a decent stock weld on my A4.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:44:05 AM EST
The pistol grip is out... P-tP is in the PRK... I don't know if the gun itself is on the list, but the pistol grip was deemed evil on SB23...
Top Top