Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 7:33:21 PM EDT
What multitool do you carry?  What do you wish you carried?

I'm looking to get one but am a little overwhelmed with the choices.  The Leathermen do not seem very comfortable to use.  The new Gerbers with the rubber on the grip seem comfortable and the colors are nice but do they last?  

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I've used the Gerber (plain metal handle) for years. I did break the pliers off the first one, but they sent me a new one right away. No problems with this one.

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Gerber Scout (?).

It does not have any rubber in the handles and cost around $50-$60 bucks.

It has all the essential tools you need and seems very durable.

I like it.

Good fishing companion and hiking/camping.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear an original Leatherman at work and I keep an original Gerber in my range bag.
At the range, they are worth their weight in gold.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Leatherman Wave.
Does what I want it to.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a klein.  This thing has everything I need.

awesome! gotta love klein.

http://wsm.sgsnet.com/cgi-bin/osform/headline?osform_template=display.oft&oid=ecaa525305e4454d
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Leatherman Wave, and a Gerber Multi-tool in my case.  The Leatherman needle nose pliers are the best IMO because they are the thinnest to fit in tight spaces.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had two Gerbers - first one was the original model that closed all the way (and gave NASTY blood blisters if you slipped using the pliers - voice of experience).  I lost that one.  Second one I broke the pliers on.  Now I have a Schrade Tool.  Pretty nice, but the Phillips blade sucks and getting some of the blades to unfold is irritating.  I really want a Leatherman Supertool.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Dull finish Leatherman.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
leatherman, the big one
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What multitool do you carry?  
View Quote

Just my multi "tool".
I use it whether I'm coming OR going.
It also serves as a chick magnet.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an old Gerber, a new Gerber, a Leatherman PST and a Schrade Multitool.  I am kinda partial to the Schrade.  The old Gerber wouldn't open bottles worth a damn, but the new Gerber fixed that problem.  I like the one-handed opening of the Gerber too.  Really I just reach for the closest one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
S.O.G. power pliers - awsome
Gerber Multi with short nose pliers, A flick of the wrist and you're ready. Can't get Jug to give it back to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Gerber pliers multitool. They ROCK!

Much easier than the old SOG pair.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Fine, go buy your own and give mine back to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Victorinox. Go to a store and handle one, once you have no explanation is necessary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Galil .308 with bottle opener and wire cutter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Leatherman Wave, damn good steel. You can open the locking blade with one hand and close it just as easly.  Almost a tool with a switch blade.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What multitool do you carry?  What do you wish you carried?

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.
View Quote

I have a Leatherman "Wave" and love it. it has never let me down when I needed it. Tho I really should replace one of the screw drivers with an awl.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#19]
"first one was the original model that closed all the way (and gave NASTY blood blisters if you slipped using the pliers - voice of experience)."

Amen to that...

Replaced my pair with the new Gerber 800 Legend model.  MUCH improved!  My first experience with scissors on a multi tool.

Gave away my original pair to a friend.  Stern warning about pinching tendencies along with it.  He didn't think it would be a big problem.  Pain is a good teacher...
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up the Gerber Legend and love it!  The biggest reason I went this route is the replaceable tungsten carbide wire cutters.  I also like the one-handed opening knife and scissors.  I had a bit of a problem finding replacement jig saw blades, but it's a good feature nonetheless.

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I carried the old Leatherman untill I saw that you can open the Gerber with a flick of the wrist. This is a nice feature when your way up on a ladder.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#22]
SOG Power Lock.

It has a bunch of different blades and tool adapters.  You can also get a socket adapter which is handy.  The removable blade handle covers are nice if you are really torqing (sp) on something.  

I think you usually see them in store for about $80, but you can pick them up on gunbroker and auction arms new for $50, which is a pretty good price.  I think they also have a life time warranty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Original Leatherman bought overseas by an AF buddy when they first came out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Leatherman Wave, the thing's great!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Gerber, love it easy to use rugged.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had two Gerbers - first one was the original model that closed all the way (and gave NASTY blood blisters if you slipped using the pliers - voice of experience).
View Quote

I have that Gerber model and I found out about blood blisters the hard way too... but I still have it and after 4 years of usage it is still going strong!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#29]
SOG paratool.  I have had mine for over four years, and have carried it every day for the past two.  I like it because you can open it with one hand.  Also I can take it apart for a full cleaning every six months or so.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Leatherman on my duty belt.
In the winter out in the boonies I carry a Gerber. It's easier to open one handed when putting snow chains on. They are a big help.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Gerber that I've been using and abusing for 4 years and it still works great.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
As per usual, I'm going to go against the grain, and put in my lone vote for the Kershaw.

locking needlenose with simple knob to adjust tension, with flat and round jaw profile, a real working file and saw, knive that works without opening the tool. Heavier than any SOG, Gerber or Leatherman I've handled. Just a sturdy MOFO.

Got it for 50 bucks new w/nylon sheath. I never realize how often I use it until I leave it on the workbench and go anywhere. D.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I've owned a Gerber, Paratool, a couple Leathermen, and a no-name Chinese-made clunker.  I don't carry any multitools now.  Instead, I bought a good quality pair of small pliers and a Victorinox Swiss Army knife.  I carry the pliers and the knife in a nylon belt pouch, just like you have to use with any of the multitools, and find the combo is more comfortable and useful than the multitools...as well as weighing about the same.  If you think about it, multitools are nothing more than expensive, fragile pliers with some extra gadgets in the handles.  The screwdrivers and other tools are impossible to use in tandem with the pliers on a multitool.  Anyway, the multitools are mainly a semi-useful geewhiz kind of thing, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I have one of those Gerber(why does that remind of baby food?) multitool sets that Derek45 mentioned.  I had this Gerber tool for many years. Bought it because it is so cool!  

To get access to your pliers, all you have to do is flick your wrist and presto chango...out comes your pliers in a flash.  Very impressive around the women.   [:)]  

How strong and durable are the tools?  I don't know...never had a chance to actually use it for any other purpose.  [:(]  Again, I only bought it to impress the women.   [:D]

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought my dad one of the new Gerbers that has just come out (800 Series) for Christmas. This one has got all the old ones beat by a mile.
The ability to replace the saw with a new blade and the carbide inserts in the wire cutter is really innovative.
I paid special attention to the pinching issue and they have solved that with this series.
My dad is a real torture tester on both knives and multi-tools, he's a full time farmer. So far he really loves this one. I can't the number of times he has thanked me for this gift and it makes me feel really good that I bought him something useful that he'll use every day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Swiss-Tech tool.  It may not have all the different blades and features but has really come in handy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Thoughts on the Vitronox? (sp?)

I found one for $60... good price??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top