Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 2:57:57 PM EDT
in another state?

When buying a gun, do you need to have a state drivers license, or will a state ID work?

If you need utility bills, how many? What happpens if you are renting a room with all the bills in another persons name?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
generally if you can prove you have lived in state for 6 months you can get a state id or drivers license, and you need to change yore address with the post office (optional) and the gov't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it would depend on the state.
Post the state you want to establish residency in...that way members living there can help you.

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The states im curious about are AZ and NV
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having spent the last twenty years in the military I've moved around a bit. Typically within the first month or so I get a new state driver's license. I don't have to show any proof of anything - no military orders, bills with my name on them, nothing. I just show my old state ID and give them a new in state address.

California, Washington, Colorado and Illinois.
View Quote

Well...  Sort of...  You still need to get an address so that they don't flag youwhen they mail you something.  The military were exempt from the statutory limits when I was serving.  As in CA, most states require that you get a new license within a certain period of time when you move there.

Usually, registering a car in the state is all that you really need to do, but you'd need to talk to someone at the DMV there.  You can always look them up on the web and call from CA.

AZ is pretty easy to get a DL in though, my daughter moved there, and walked in to the DMV, walked out 20 minutes later, DL in hand.

I understand that UT will accept your CCW for residency on gun purchases.

NV, requires documentation, due to the State Income tax exemption, or lack thereof.  I understand they report back to Sacramento as well, but AZ didn't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The states im curious about are AZ and NV
View Quote

AZ is simple.  For the State to recognize you as a resident:

Either obtain employment in the state; or

Live here more than 6 months in a 12 month period; or

Go to school, or place your kids in school without paying out of state tuition.

Bada boom, bada bing. Youse is now a Rezident.

Comrade

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I was wondering can you be a resident of two states and also what you have to do to become a resident of Oregon?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You can obtain an AZ ccw permit without being a resident.  You still have to take the 16 hour course, pass the firearms qual, and submit your paperwork with fees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top