Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2001 2:48:03 PM EDT
I keep putting off the purchase of an M1A, mostly because of its price... I was finally set on getting one this summer, but now I hear all of this talk in regard to the FN FAL.  Which one should I get this summer.  I know all of the advantages and disadvantages of each... you know, PRICE, reliability, ease of maintainence, flexibility... they both seem like they have alot of similar qualities while also being very different in some respects.  If you guys had to make a choice, what would it be???
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Great  guns.  I have both.  I bought my NM SS M1A a couple years ago.  Sweet shooting gun.  Ammo was easy to get. Mags are high!

Last Jan 2001, I got the cheapo, Century StG-58 FAL.  I figured I could handle the $600 tag and cheaper magazines.  It shoots fine and I added some accesories, like a peep sight and grips.  It is a good plinking gun with pistol grip.  Easy like the AR15 to disassemble and clean.  It goes to the range as often as the Ar and pistols.  

Now, Try to get one of both.  They are accurate.  I am partial to the M1A/ Garand models, but the FAL will hang in there close.  I can shoot over 100 rounds without any soreness from recoil.

steady
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I have a preban M1A and a Belgian preban FAL and I know if I had to choose I would keep the FAL.  The M1A has very nice iron sights and is a damned accurate rifle, but the FAL has better ergonomics IMHO, is MUCH MUCH simpler to field strip, I like a pistol grip better and there is also the factor that mags are about 5X cheaper.  But I guess the main points that make me like the FAL better are the ergonomics and simplicity of design.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both.Mags FAL $6-10,M1A $35-50.They handle diffrent but both in a good way.I think a good FAL may be slightly more reliable,but not enough to matter.I wouldnt buy anything but a DSA or Enterprise with out seeing it first.I would only buy Springfield.No on norinco or polytech.You end up with a rifle you have to spend the sameon or more.They are both great rifles for the money.I would try to shoot both and see wich I liked the best.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The FAL would be more likely to be banned first, so if you want both, but don't have the money, get the FAL.
I like my M1A's, but my next rifle will probably be a FAL, most likely DSA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get the DSA kit gun first. Very reasonable price and excellent quality. Mags are reasonable where you can own pre-ban high capacity mags.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with SS109 and arbob. Definitely get at least one of each.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had the oppotunity to shoot both, and I found I prefer the M1A. It just felt better than the FAL, in my hands, anyway. The other people at the range looked at the ARs, the FAL, and the handguns without comment, but when the M1A came out of the case, I heard a low "holy SH*T!" from on down the line. The M1A just has a look of "Authority" about it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If you love the AR-15, the FAL is probably the rifle you will prefer in .308.  Like RikWriter mentioned, easier to clean and the ergonomics are there for the AR shooter.  

For me, the M1A trips my trigger. [:P]  Why?  The trigger and sights are better IMHO.  Magazines for both rifles are rugged so while the M1A magazines run a lot more than the FAL magazines you won't need to buy a lot of them as you might for an AR-15.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My choice back in 1988 was an M1A. I've never had a rifle- or magazine-related malfunction other than a worn follower failing to lock the bolt back, and the only ammo-related malfunctions I had were caused by nasty Norinco stuff. However, if I had to buy one today, it'd be a FAL. For all intents and purposes their practical accuracy is the same, and while I don't feel the adjustable gas regulator is necessary, it doesn't harm anything, either. As a lefty, however, I find the FAL's ergonomics markedly inferior to the M1A's. And since I don't fieldstrip my M1A for its daily cleaning in the field, its simpler disassembly procedures don't really matter to me. I sure wouldn't feel poorly armed with a FAL, though!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had the oppotunity to shoot both, and I found I prefer the M1A. It just felt better than the FAL, in my hands, anyway. The other people at the range looked at the ARs, the FAL, and the handguns without comment, but when the M1A came out of the case, I heard a low "holy SH*T!" from on down the line. The M1A just has a look of "Authority" about it.
View Quote

Must be a strange range.  M1As and M14s are a dime a dozen at my range...even my FAL doesn't get that much attention. When I break out the HK91, now THAT gets some attention...especially before I put the port buffer on it and it sent brass flying about 40 feet to the right! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you thinking about shooting competition? Like DCM, then you will need the M1A.  I have both, a SAR48 and a pre-ban M1A.  Tough choice.  I would borrow one of each from a freind, and see which one you like.  But my personal recomendation, get one of each you won't go wrong.  You can tell what is going to happen politically.  It is better to have a bird in the hand, than 2 in the.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#13]
One of each.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
One of each is a great idea.  If you can only get one though go for the FAL.  It's a much finer weapon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#15]
My M1A is an absolute tack driver.  I get 0.25" groups at 100 yards.  But the manual says use only match ammo.  I suspect that with it's tight chamber that it might not be as reliable with non-match ammo.  However don't get any of the Springfield scopes.  Have spoken with people at both Thunder Ranch and Storm Mountain, and they all say the same thing and that is that a Springfield scope has never made it through one of their week long courses.  They have all broken - a 100% failure rate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Springfield 6X40 scope on mine. After thousands of rounds, it still shoots a lot better than I do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a toughy. I've got a STG-58. It was a Century so needless to say I replaced the gas piston and the cocking handle straight away to get it looking and shooting right.Since then I've added a muzzle brake, syn. hand guards, Bi-pod that folds into handguards, hooded sight, 0-movement scope rail(dustcover). There are alot of accessories available for the FAL.More than the M1A(M-14)I think. It's been used in about 70 countries in about as many conflicts. Interesting enough however the M1A barely beat out the FAL during trials by the US when they decided to go with larger capacity .308 battle rifles. As I said, I've got a FAL but have an M1A on my 'wish list'.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an M1A but know nothing about the FN FAL. If I want 1 what do I look for and who makes the best one? Are there pre and post ban? Give me the whole story thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Here' a link to the Gun Test Article comparing them and the H&K:

[url]http://www.entreprise.com/News/Articles/guntestapril_99.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Lougotzz,

Everything about the FAL?  That's quite a dissertation you're asking for.  Check out www.fnfal.com for historical as well as current information.  There should be sections describing various manufacturers as well as kit building.  I have four so you see I'm quite partial to them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#21]
FAL.....Better yet, get both.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree with RikWriter and I also have both. The M1A is a SA preban and the FAL is a STG58 kit built by Arizona Response Systems (ARS). I tend to move guns around with time and right now I may be moving the M1A out for something else, but I'll hang on to the FAL. It is a sexy looking rifle, soft shooting, super easy to field strip and super cheap mags and when you consider the price of the parts kits, spare parts are "a dime a dozen." Both are fine rifles, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top