Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2001 12:40:24 PM EDT
Any history buffs out there I could use some help regarding the Six Day War.
A friend was telling me that during the war the US had a war ship in the area that was doing surveillance on both Isreal and Egypt. Supposedly the ship was attacked by Isreal jet fighters. There were casualities, maybe dead, and substantial damage done.
He didn't have any other informattion.
Any chance any of you guys remember this could give me the name of the ship and any details.
Or did this even happen?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it happened, but the name of the ship escapes me...it was an ELINT ship though.

awp101[uzi]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
why havent we heard this before? i know it was a long time ago but you would think that it would have been made public by now   [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It has been made public:  When it happened back in 1967.  Over the years various news shows have revisited what happened.

awp101[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It was the USS Liberty.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/23/world/23LIBE.html?searchpv=site01[/url]

There's a new book being written about it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Raven is correct.You should read the story sometime.One of the classic coverups of all times.Once again the American military man is left out to dry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The Israelis have always asserted that the attack was an accident, but the new book reveals that it wasn't.  A surveillance plane was orbiting thousands of feet above and eavesdropped on the Israeli communications of the jets.  They identified the ship as American and continued attacking.  Johnson basically swept the whole thing under the rug because he didn't want to stir up trouble with Israel.

Funny how he was so quick to make a big deal out of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, which was largely fabricated, but refused to act on the USS Liberty incident, which was clearly a hostile action.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks
I knew someone here could help me out. I'll pass along the information.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#8]
If someone is interested of the U.S.S Liberty incident,go to:

[url]http://www.halcyon.com/jim/ussliberty/[/url]

The commanding officer, Captain William Loren McGonagle, received the MOH for his actions on board.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top