Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2001 8:22:03 PM EDT
[img]http://www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/justgun.jpg[/img]

...and now you see why.  I've got a great scope, steady and solid (not to mention inexpensive - $13) mount, but I shoot with my irons.  The problem with my setup here, even after placing the rings and scope as far forward as I can on the mount, is that the eyepiece still extends about 2-3" from the back of the rear sight.  If this could go about 2" forward, I could get a better sight picture (eye close as possible to the aperture) and I'm almost positive my scores would improve.  I also think this is why my shots aren't as good as I want them to be.  Imagine me putting my eye (vertically plane-wise) about 1" behind the eyepiece to avoid the recoil bump, and that should shed some light on how far away I am from the rear sight and why I'm not getting a great picture.

So here's the dillio:  I need a mount, long and see-thru (just like the one I have now), but I need it to extend [b]at least[/b] 2" more than what I have now at 7.5"

Do they make 10" See-Thru weaver mounts at all?  If so, I don't want to spend more than $30 bucks for a decent one (I don't need a B-square or anything remotely expensive, still saving up for the LEGP).  I know this giant of a scope is for more of a IPSC/Space gun setup, but I have to work with what I have as much as possible before I actually get a medium sized scope, such as a fixed 20X or something around that area.

Danke,
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Dam! thats one big scope! the only thing I can think of and it wont cost you one red penny is to mount both rings on the rear tube behind the turret. I never heard anyone say you cant. ipsc scopes are sometimes mounted that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Silver Surfer, that's a great idea!  I don't know why I didn't think of that myself, but man that gives me 2" easily right there.

You're a livesaver and a contributor to common sense.  I'd kiss you if I were a homosexual male...

...BUT I am merely a simple heterosexual "Jew"
[sex]

[blue]J E W B R O N I ~[/blue]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Jew.....I put recoil pads on my stocks as soon as i get the rifle....those "green" furnitures just don`t fit my long arms....this ends up with a slight advantage for me to use scope automatically......cost about $6.........[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Silver Surfer, that's a great idea!  I don't know why I didn't think of that myself, but man that gives me 2" easily right there.

You're a livesaver and a contributor to common sense.  I'd kiss you if I were a homosexual male...
Thanks  for not being one!

...BUT I am merely a simple heterosexual "Jew"
[sex]

[blue]J E W B R O N I ~[/blue]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
No, thank you for not being one!
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think there is a carry handle rail any longer than the one you have. You may have to get one custome made.

Otherwise:

You could use a flat top upper reciever and install an ARMS super extended rail.

If you do not want to do that, Weaver does sell a set of offset rings that will position the scope 3/4" more forward that normal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Jewbroni,

E&L Manufacturing used to, and I'm still do, a good and inexpensive cheek rest that is held on with the top screw in the butt plate. That helps you get a proper check-weld, which will help bunches.

I'll see if I can find a link or ad. somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Found it!!!

E&L Manufacturing Inc.
541/874-2137
[url]www.elmfg.com[/url]

I can't tell from your picture but if your rifle has a non-detachable carry handle E&L makes a good, clip-on brass catcher you may, or may not, be intrested in.

The cheek piece is listed as $19.95 in their ad in the May 1 issue of Shotgun News.

I have both products and I'm happy with them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
ROTFLMAO.oh let me wipe the coffee off the screen.jewbroni,sir please don't take this a flame,it's not meant as one.but that scope doesn't belong on a carryhandle.get a flat top receiver if you must use that scope on your AR.what are you planning on shooting with that thing?the mice eating the green cheese on the moon?no disrespect intended sir.and i thought my 5X33L looked silly on my carryhandle.mmk
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I know it's a bit ridiculous, but it was a gift from my father.  He needed a scope to hunt with, and knew that I had a Leupold 3-9x50mm that was on mine.  I hard a hard time seeing my holes (mostly in lower light) at even 100yards, so we made a little trade.  Good eye relief, great optics, outstanding zoom capabilities (15-60x, maybe too much), but the thing is just too large.

I am thinking of selling it within the year's end, and should get AT LEAST $300 for it.  If somebody can tell me of a good medium sized scope between my old Leupold and this one (say, a 20x50mm or 5-15x) for around the price of 300-400 dollars, PLEASE let me know where I can get one.  I saw and loved the "AMT 6-18x Professional" seen at...
[url]http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15/AR15scopemounts.asp[/url]
...it's a good size (probably perfect for the mount I own now) and I'm sure has great optics and capabilities.  $500 is out of my range though, I don't want to spend over 400.  Given that criteria, can anybody help me out?
-$400, no more
-somewhere around 20X
-Bullet drop comps. are an option, but not a must

Thanks guys,
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a flat-top AR that I put a Leupold 3.5-10X Vari-X III Police scope on.  With the objective lens right above the charging handle (proper eye relief), it puts the adjustment housing right over the front edge of the Weaver rail.  So, I put both rings behind the adjustment housing.  Just took it out and shot it that way today.  Works good.  However, with your Jumbotron scope, that means cantilevering a [b]lot[/b] of weight out there.  Also, this tends to make the scope act somewhat like a tuning fork (vibration = [i]bad[/i]).  It may not be a great choice for a scope that large.

As to inexpensive good scopes, I recommend [url]http://www.swfa.com[/url] then check their SampleList for used/demo/overstock stuff.  That's where I got my Leupold.  It was $300 NIB.  Right now they show
3.5-10x50 Matte Finish Illuminated Mil-Dot reticle, matte finish, 1" tube, NEW in Box $524.95
View Quote
among others.  I look in there just about every week just to see what they've got, and wishing I had the money to buy it.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, [url]www.swfa.com[/url] was actually where I bought this "Tasco telescope" for $350 (see item CU1260X56M).

I'm thinking about shopping here again for this next scope, seeing as they have a good assortment of long-range scopes, and nice prices on all of them.  Here's what I've narrowed down out of my next purchase, please give me your opinions on some of them, or if you find something better...[i]Please Inform Me![/i]

-Nikon "Monarch" 6.5-20x44 Matte, Fine Reticle, $400
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/nikon/index.html[/url]
-Pentax "Lightseeker" 4-16x44 Matte, Fine Reticle, $400
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/pentax/index.html[/url]
-Redfield "Golden Five Star" 6-18x40 Matte, Plex(?) Reticle, $330
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/redfield/index.html[/url]
-Springfield Armory Tactical .223 (Gov't) Reticle (and bullet drop cmpns.), 4x14-40, $324
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/springfield/index.html[/url]
-Weaver "Grand Slam" 4.5-14x40, Matte "Dual-X" Reticle (said it was comparable to a VariX-III, so it can't be all that bad), $325
or
-Weaver "Grand Slam" 6-20x40, Matte, "Varmint" (thin-reticle, dot in middle), $350
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/weaver/index.html[/url]

...and then of course is the Tasco series.  There has been nothing but wonderful reviews for their "Super Sniper", from many sources I might add.  The most expensive is about $300 (for the non-M model)
[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/index.html[/url]

If anybody can recommend any one of these scopes, for quality shots around 300 yards (and as my makeshift "spotting scope", heh), please tell me what would be my best choice.

Thanks, as always...
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
^^BTT^^
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Jewbroni,
SWFA takes trades. They might work you a deal for new scope with your current one as trade.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Good Deal, hoef.
Seeing as how it was bought from them about 2 months ago at $350, do ya think $300 is a fairly reasonable trade-in credit?  I'd love to not spend more than around 100 for another scope.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Scopes depreciate worse then cars.  Especially if there are any ring marks on the tube.  If you paid $350 new, it'd probably sell for half that used.  I don't like it either, but unless it's a top-end scope like a Zeiss or Leupold M4, resale sucks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#17]
here you go,ATN 6-18X65LU for $295.00  [url]www.aimdiscount.com/[/url]   mmk  P.S. don't waste your money buying from gunaccessories.com,they charge high end retail prices.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a strange and psychotic idea. For starters, you could get the ARMS 39 A2 carry handle mount, which is more sturdy in any case as it has an extra side locking nut that attaches to the front of the carry handle. The crazy part is you could get a very high front ring, or a shorter ring sitting on some kind of block, that attaches to the rail that sits just above the handguard. Look at the ARMS 39 and you'll know what I mean. That setup should give you the room you need.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Mattja, I saw that ARMS 39 Mounting rail...WOW!  That's definately sturdy looking, allows see-thru capabilities, and has an extra rail riding the handguard.  I've seen a few people try to mock this style of mount, but it seems the general concensus agrees A.R.M.S. are the best.  Even has a front screw to lock on the the handle, for added stability...this is DEFINATELY what I want.

The only concerns I have are the following:

1.) These things are usually expensive, I've heard.  Where's the best place I can get one of these 39's, and for how much?
2.) The forward rail is unnecessary for all my purposes (but I'm open to suggestions), and will probably be more expensive than standard mounts.  Should I still go with this one?

Thanks,
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Jewbroni, Botach has the ARMS 39 for $113. It is a little high. Some people have had problems with Botach, but in my case they were usually okay. Maybe a little slow a few times.

The only reason I suggested the 39 is because if you had some sort of block or spacer, you could mount the forward ring on the rail above the handguard and the rear ring in the normal position on the carry handle. This is why I stated it was a little psychotic. :)

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
**ENDING TOPIC***
Posted a new, similar topic.

Jewbroni~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top