I haven't driven one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looked like one of those new Ford Taurus stretch. iirc AWD
AWD actually makes it harder to slow down rather than easier.
I heard they performed well in testing.

I haven't driven one.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123--16274--,00.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying the car.

Someone commented that road is 45mph. I'll absolutely concede 104 is ridiculous.

I see no reason to go 104-0, thus my comment on tires and suspension. Swoop it wide, keep it in tight, car shouldn't have a problem. Dipshit old guy + cocky cop disobeying orders. Like I said, when idiots collide
View Quote
Agreed.  To further clarify, I concur the vehicle would be fine making that maneuver.  I intended to say that the drivers lack of skill put him in a situation where the vehicle itself was simply not capable of maneuvering in a fashion to avoid that crash.  He also exceeded the braking ability of the vehicle, in that once he realized a vehicle was coming toward his lane, his squad simply wasn't capable of stopping.  He initially went left, and to me, then attempted to correct by going right.  My argument is simply that his squad car could not make that type of maneuver safely, and would argue most cars on the road wouldnt either.  He was going too fast for his skill level, and put the car in a situation where the only possible result was a crash.  So yes, in effect, you can blame driver skill for all of it, I simply meant that he put the car in a situation where only one result was possible due to taking the car outside of its reasonable/possible performance limits.

Not blaming the car.  I love those interceptors, and have gotten away with things in them that a crown vic would have bitten me for, badly.

And yes, agreed also on idiots colliding.  I just blame one more than the other.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't driven one.
View Quote
They are very forgiving and handle very well.  Taurus interceptor is one of the best police vehicles I've ever driven.  Unfortunately they are very cramped, thus not very popular.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The cop was reckless by going that fast, however, that smart car driver is a fucking moron. Based on that dipshit maneuver alone I wouldn't convict.

I cant tell you how many times fucking idiots like this pull in front of me as I approach at speed, instead of staying in the lane of least resistance. Fucking cunts. Good smash.
View Quote
It's almost as if an experienced, competent driver should know that kind of thing is common and drive with that in mind rather than recklessly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well. There's a voice in your amygdala that says, "Dude, if you fall asleep you die. You want to live. Do anything but fall asleep while moving." Who ignores that?
View Quote
A really tired person.
Years ago we had a CLEO who was screwing with me because of my military service. He started making me come in after final formation. When the unit started extending my orders til 2359 hrs, he'd make me come in at 0001 hrs.
I remember one month, coming in and driving around and being so tired after a long drill weekend that I couldn't remember my phonetic alphabet when I tried to make a stop. I found a dark corner to stay in for a while after that.

You start working a ton of hours and your mind does weird things.

Recently I'd been working a ton of hours and got sent to a call on one of our hillier areas in the early morning hours
I got back in my car afterwards and started to drive away and realized that my glasses weren't on the dash where I normally throw them when I get out at a call; I'd tossed them on the hood instead. I see the glasses on the hood.
Deviating from the norm will get you in trouble. So in the midst of thinking hey, I gotta get my glasses, I thought I threw the car into park, and so I started getting out. My first foot hit the ground and my tired brain says "that's funny, the ground is moving".
It took another half second for my brain to connect that the car wasn't in park and that the car was rolling backwards, so I pulled myself back into the car and threw it into park. If I had completed getting out of the car, it would have gone on down the hill, maybe dragging me with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Smart car driver looked like he was all over the road. Cop sisnt look for the openong, he looked at the car and ran right into it. Accident avoidance 101, look where you want to go...
View Quote
Wrong. He swerved left to avoid and lost control.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For everyone stating that the old guy drifted into his lane, or didn't look before changing lanes, etc, think about this.  What I could find was this was a 45mph speed limit road.  At 45mph a car travels roughly 60ft/sec, or six car lengths.  At 105mph a car travels 150ft/sec, or roughly 15 car lengths.  According to the timestamps on the video from the moment the smart car started changing lanes to the moment of impact was 2sec.  So from the moment you see the car start to change lanes to the moment of impact the cop traveled roughly 300ft or the distance of a football field.

If I was the smart car doing 45mph and I checked out my rear view mirror and saw a car a football field behind me (assumingly) doing the speed limit too, I'd feel it was safe to get over into that lane too.
View Quote
You are absolutely right, the police officer got way under the old guy's OODA loop and that's a bad place to be if you don't want conflict.

On the other hand, the guy made a LEFT TURN from the median into the THIRD LANE from him, then kareened back to the second lane and was drifting into the first lane when he was hit.  That's shitty, if not illegal driving anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew a snake eater who had 2 Smart cars. They're built rather good for accidents.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Not nearly as bad as I expected. Actually kinda impressed
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A really tired person.
Years ago we had a CLEO who was screwing with me because of my military service. He started making me come in after final formation. When the unit started extending my orders til 2359 hrs, he'd make me come in at 0001 hrs.
I remember one month, coming in and driving around and being so tired after a long drill weekend that I couldn't remember my phonetic alphabet when I tried to make a stop. I found a dark corner to stay in for a while after that.

You start working a ton of hours and your mind does weird things.

Recently I'd been working a ton of hours and got sent to a call on one of our hillier areas in the early morning hours
I got back in my car afterwards and started to drive away and realized that my glasses weren't on the dash where I normally throw them when I get out at a call; I'd tossed them on the hood instead. I see the glasses on the hood.
Deviating from the norm will get you in trouble. So in the midst of thinking hey, I gotta get my glasses, I thought I threw the car into park, and so I started getting out. My first foot hit the ground and my tired brain says "that's funny, the ground is moving".
It took another half second for my brain to connect that the car wasn't in park and that the car was rolling backwards, so I pulled myself back into the car and threw it into park. If I had completed getting out of the car, it would have gone on down the hill, maybe dragging me with it.
View Quote
You guys have to take care of yourselves. The most important person on scene is you, and you're jeopardizing your safety working that tired.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The cop was reckless by going that fast, however, that smart car driver is a fucking moron. Based on that dipshit maneuver alone I wouldn't convict.

I cant tell you how many times fucking idiots like this pull in front of me as I approach at speed, instead of staying in the lane of least resistance. Fucking cunts. Good smash.
View Quote
so hitting someone going 104 is gtg? hows that crack pipe taste?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't believe the guy lived.  Those things are so tiny I think I could actually street fighter them.  Looks like nothing more than a go cart with body kit.  I was expecting the car to be vaporized.
View Quote
It's of my opinion that smart cars are so light that they move easily when hit, reducing the force of the impact. If that was a Prius or something a bit heavier I think there would be more injuries for both parties.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
6 prior wrecks, told to stand down 3 times, and going 104 in a 45 with no lights or sirens....
View Quote
Holy crap 2.5 times the speed limit... put into context that would be 175 MPH in a 70 MPH zone.  You think that would be safe?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys have to take care of yourselves. The most important person on scene is you, and you're jeopardizing your safety working that tired.
View Quote
Todays my first day off in a month.
A good chunk of that month has been double shifts.
No choice in the matter, we have a bunch of people out, and shift minimums to meet. It's summer, which means we're super-busy.
I know I over-did it; I went to work the other day and wound up going home sick half way through and sleeping for about 15 hours, which is unheard of for me.
I had to really hold back from taking a shift today because I wanted this one day with absolutely nothing on the agenda except some errands this morning.

I've said here many times to the people who say that law enforcement officer numbers should be cut in half that we are already working short-handed. Those people have no idea how thin the ranks are.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lights/sirens not on, I assume? I watched the video without volume.
View Quote
At that speed you've outrun your siren and lights are only visible to those looking.

He hit that car a ton.

Due regard evidently isn't in the officers KSA's
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Say it again that 104 is above a cruisers (charger's?) capabilities.
View Quote
See the front end wallow as officer friendly hits the brakes? That slide back and forth isn't the cop sawing on the wheel.  It's the front end wallowing under load.   The cop had almost zero control of the car from the moment he hit the brakes.  I've played in enough street cars on the track to know exactly what that looks and feels like.  Threshold braking from triple digits in a car designed to be a compromise between performance and ride is a sketchy thing that I've done a lot of times.  A lot of modern cars have a lot more horsepower than brakes and the video is a pretty clear indication that the spring rate and compression damping (and probably tire pressure and sidewall construction) in that setup is wrong for what the cop tried to do with it.  In a purely academic sense, the cop absolutely exceeded the capability of the car in as much as when he applied the brakes his control was significantly, and almost entirely, degraded.

There is no magic skill that allows one driver to get more traction from a tire than another. Physics doesn't care what your name is.  The skill part comes in being able to find the line between control and loss of traction and tap dance on it like Fred Astaire.  Ayrton Senna couldn't have controlled that car with the speed and brake input that cop put into the car.  Every single thing you do in a car is energy management.  Acceleration, braking, turning - all of it.

1/2mV^2 is a law just like gravity, and the amount of energy the cop would have had to manage successfully to miss that car at 75 mph would have been small enough to keep this out of the news.  At 104 the car had  1.8629e+6 joules of energy.  At 75 he'd have had   9.6880e+5 joules which is about 48% less energy to control in avoiding that smart car.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am really impressed at how the smart car held up. That said, a large car with better crumple zones would have probably protected the driver better.
View Quote
Saw a smart car get T-boned by a trooper going 35 plus.  Very little intrusion to the passenger compartment.  

More durable than a Silverado.  Apples to oranges comparison I know, but its still a gnarly picture.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
to be fair that cop was going so fast for the smart car driver to react. He probably looked in his mirror and saw the cop a good ways behind him not realizing the retard was going over 100mph. 
View Quote
To be fair, the Smart drive probably never looked in his mirrors.  Looked right, pulled out, did what he wanted to.

That being said, unless the cop was responding, he was speeding like a MF'r and should never be a cop again, especially in light of how many TCs he has had.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rather than type my own view I'll just repost yours.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll take "When Bad Drivers Collide" for $1000.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Way to fast.  Good charge.

Guess no lights or sirens?

Old dude wasn't paying attention either. Went from middle lane to left lane without checking his mirrors.
View Quote
Grandpa just wanted to cruise in the left lane..
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rather than type my own view I'll just repost yours.  Perfect.
View Quote
Read the entire article before you say you'd let dumb fucker off. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I haven't driven one.
View Quote
They do. And AWD has huge advantages just not in braking.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not nearly as bad as you might expect:

http://i.imgur.com/OjKTgww.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder what the Smart car looked like after that smack in the ass?
Not nearly as bad as you might expect:

http://i.imgur.com/OjKTgww.jpg
I know huh, thought the "smart car" would have been a pancake.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At that speed you've outrun your siren and lights are only visible to those looking.

He hit that car a ton.

Due regard evidently isn't in the officers KSA's
View Quote
Lol wat? So he had a jet engine and an Area 51 spec faster than light hyperdrive? If he outran his siren the sonic boom would alert drivers anyway 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol wat? So he had a jet engine and an Area 51 spec faster than light hyperdrive? If he outran his siren the sonic boom would alert drivers anyway 
View Quote
Tec is right. Above a certain speed, you outrun the ability of your equipment to adequately warn other drivers that you're approaching
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LEO should have had lights and sirens on.  Sirens for sure weren't on.  Unable to tell if the lights where.  Looked pretty bright out though, which makes overheads harder to see.

That being said, with that traffic on the road, 104 is too damn fast.  You can't get to a call fast enough if you wreck your squad.

Anyone who has ever gone anywhere under lights and sirens should know that people don't always see you, in fact, most do not.  They are not some invisible force that will allow you to drive in a fashion that exceeds the driver's or the vehicle's ability to make quick maneuvers or stop the squad safely.

He forgot apparently all of that, or blatantly ignored it.  If he also ignored three orders to stand down from supervisors, even worse.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass. But based on video, smart Car got in his lane. Not sure I'd convict based on that video
LEO should have had lights and sirens on.  Sirens for sure weren't on.  Unable to tell if the lights where.  Looked pretty bright out though, which makes overheads harder to see.

That being said, with that traffic on the road, 104 is too damn fast.  You can't get to a call fast enough if you wreck your squad.

Anyone who has ever gone anywhere under lights and sirens should know that people don't always see you, in fact, most do not.  They are not some invisible force that will allow you to drive in a fashion that exceeds the driver's or the vehicle's ability to make quick maneuvers or stop the squad safely.

He forgot apparently all of that, or blatantly ignored it.  If he also ignored three orders to stand down from supervisors, even worse.  
Yep

Funny considering how many apologists tried to cover for the retard running 100mph down the street in the previous auto-ped thread.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]
that smart car had an idiot for a driver
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am really impressed at how the smart car held up. That said, a large car with better crumple zones would have probably protected the driver better.
View Quote
it may have "held up" mechanically, but the occupant is going to get rattled pretty good because there is so little crumple zone to absorb the impact energy, and so little mass to prevent really high G forces.

here, let's take a mid-size sedan and offset crash with a smart car; you'll note that the smart car goes *backwards* during the accident.
the impact didn't even break the windshield on the C300, and i bet that you could open the driver's side door no problem.

IIHS Crash Test Of Mercedes C300 Versus Smart ForTwo
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wonder what the Smart car looked like after that smack in the ass?
View Quote
There's no way to tell.

I guess we'll never know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#35]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's of my opinion that smart cars are so light that they move easily when hit, reducing the force of the impact. If that was a Prius or something a bit heavier I think there would be more injuries for both parties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe the guy lived.  Those things are so tiny I think I could actually street fighter them.  Looks like nothing more than a go cart with body kit.  I was expecting the car to be vaporized.
Wow, I'm impressed. Not only did you manage to pick the wrong equation for this situation, but you also got it totally backwards. Penalties do not cancel, they add, and your statement is twice as silly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Saw a smart car get T-boned by a trooper going 35 plus.  Very little intrusion to the passenger compartment.  

More durable than a Silverado.  Apples to oranges comparison I know, but its still a gnarly picture.

http://i.imgur.com/Uw6W0IX.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]
No siren, driving like shit, then some ass wipe pulls out; wanting the middle lane,,,, nope left lane,,, well may-beee middle lane again , Cop looks to fixate on his smart ass rather than commit left and blow siren.

I'm calling assholes collide on these grounds...no innocent party here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't worry, the usual TBL suspects will be here soon to massage criminal cop's balls and defend him.
View Quote
Yep....think Ill do that right now...wasn't the cops fault stupid smart car shouldn't have been driving like that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Dude should have stayed on the left and avoided the entire thing.

I would have ran off the road avoid hitting the car.

Sounds like meter maid duty for the cop and old man is gonna get $100-200k plus medical expenses.

He might get more if they prove his lights and siren wasn't on.

No need to be rolling 104 mph, a radio is much faster.

Glad both guys lived through it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
STEM education in this country has gone completely to shit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep....think Ill do that right now...wasn't the cops fault stupid smart car shouldn't have been driving like that.
View Quote
"BadgeBunny"

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#44]
fucking moron
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lights/sirens not on, I assume? I watched the video without volume.
View Quote
cant tell..article says he was using lights to blow through intersections...guy down here did that stupid shit and was foung guilty in court
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Or laugh at your dumb post.

View Quote
exactly...toolbags are going to toolbag
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
to be fair that cop was going so fast for the smart car driver to react. He probably looked in his mirror and saw the cop a good ways behind him not realizing the retard was going over 100mph. 
View Quote
meh ..Don't defend idiot smart car guy...even if what you say is correct.."hmmm  ..look cop car..think I'll pull in front of him" was never a thought that has entered my mind in  35 years of driving
Cop is a moron ..too fast for no purpose..he sucks, he will pay..with his job  and possibly his pension
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#48]
That's one thing about those Smart cars - they engineered the heck out of the superstructure. Barring going under something, they can take a hit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No need to be rolling 104 mph, a radio is much faster.
View Quote
Especially when you've been told 3 times to break it off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/15/16/4346856D00000578-4792830-image-a-12_1502812214096.jpg

These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.
View Quote
Farva!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top