Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My girlfriend bought a base '16 Tacoma SR 4x4 last year with 4cyl and 5spd MT based on the no-nonsense awesomeness of those little pre-Tacoma pickups.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are a dime a dozen in South Alabama
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I went hunting years ago with a guy at work who had one of those. God it was absolutely tiny inside. I made the mistake of riding with him. I think it took me an entire weekend to work the kinks out of my back and knees. Next time we went in my gas guzzling F-100.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an Iowa truck.  That's for damn sure.  It would have rusted into nothing by now.  You still see a few of the driving around this state but they are rotted to hell.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went hunting years ago with a guy at work who had one of those. God it was absolutely tiny inside. I made the mistake of riding with him. I think it took me an entire weekend to work the kinks out of my back and knees. Next time we went in my gas guzzling F-100.
View Quote
They are for sure not comfy for big/tall people. I am ~6' and have had 2 standard cab toyota pickups and 2 standard cab 1st gen tacomas as daily drivers. I am right at the upper height limit for them. My current daily is a 2nd gen Tacoma access cab, I forget how small and how primitive the older trucks were, couldn't imagine commuting in one of mine these days, I am spoiled.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

23 years owning my 4runner.

3rd engine.....

Still looking for a 4th gen White 2005 2006 4runner SR5 4wd v6.

Not having much luck....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the 22RE's but if they haven't been rebuilt by now, the cam chain tensioners are brittle and trashed.
View Quote
They really aren't as good as they're cracked up to be.

My brother has an '86 that is currently waiting on him to do the headgasket. I've seen both of my brothers who are Toyota truck enthusiasts (blame Marty's truck from Back to the Future, seriously ) have gone through a number of head gaskets, clutches, and the occasional transmission.

The '86 has under 100k on it, iirc.

On the flipside, they are VERY forgiving of mechanical fuckery. They will run (terribly) for a very long time on hopes, dreams, duct tape, and bailing wire.

They've scrapped at least 3 or four trucks between them due to the frame rusting out. And those were just the ones that were too bad to save.

Between my two brothers I think they've got around 5 of them, more or less, right now. One of them even has one of the super rare custom cab models (in awful shape everywhere but the cab, of course ).
(not my brother's truck)

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They really aren't as good as they're cracked up to be.

My brother has an '86 that is currently waiting on him to do the headgasket. I've seen both of my brothers who are Toyota truck enthusiasts (blame Marty's truck from Back to the Future, seriously ) have gone through a number of head gaskets, clutches, and the occasional transmission.

The '86 has under 100k on it, iirc.

On the flipside, they are VERY forgiving of mechanical fuckery. They will run (terribly) for a very long time on hopes, dreams, duct tape, and bailing wire.

They've scrapped at least 3 or four trucks between them due to the frame rusting out. And those were just the ones that were too bad to save.

Between my two brothers I think they've got around 5 of them, more or less, right now. One of them even has one of the super rare custom cab models (in awful shape everywhere but the cab, of course ).
(not my brother's truck)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0u9nbyiox3s/U2h6WQ5tqsI/AAAAAAAAKDo/asrQvaRJ2c0/s1600/1986-Toyota-Hilux-Truck-Pickup-4WD-Custom-Cab-7.JPG
View Quote
Low HP, torquey and will run on a 3rd world maintenance schedule pretty much forever.
I also blame BTTF for my love of these damn trucks. They were also new when I was in HS and all the "cool kids" had toyota 4x4s. I graduated in 91, bought my 1st one in 92 (that I still have) and have owned several (currently have 3 and a Tacoma).
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My 1st new truck was an 86 Toyota 4WD, no A/C and crank windows. Paid 8400$ for it from the dealer. I put 31" Mud terrains and a Detroit locker in the rear and a Warn 8274 winch and it would get thru most terrain. I pulled several big F-250's out of the mud during hunting season with that truck!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Low HP, torquey and will run on a 3rd world maintenance schedule pretty much forever.
I also blame BTTF for my love of these damn trucks. They were also new when I was in HS and all the "cool kids" had toyota 4x4s. I graduated in 91, bought my 1st one in 92 (that I still have) and have owned several (currently have 3 and a Tacoma).
View Quote
When I said "They'll run poorly forever." I meant it. I could probably go out to the 86, fill it with water, leave the rad cap loose and drive it across country if I wanted.

ETA: As far as "mechanical fuckery" goes, that custom cab truck that my brother has started out as a Turbo truck, which then had an N/A top end swapped on it sometime during its life. It's currently sitting outside with the head off of it, and you can clearly see the N/A exhaust parts, and the Turbo dished pistons in the bottom end. Poor truck probably ran like ass and I bet the guy who had that done instantly regretted it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have AC in my 1986 and it blows ICE cold after the conversion.

Still on original converter and setup...just only the conversion was done for the new one.

Was using Mexican Freon for a long long time until I said fuck it and went to the new style.

I got 4:56 gears from an 1995 on it now and running 32" BFG AT.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I said "They'll run poorly forever." I meant it. I could probably go out to the 86, fill it with water, leave the rad cap loose and drive it across country if I wanted.

ETA: As far as "mechanical fuckery" goes, that custom cab truck that my brother has started out as a Turbo truck, which then had an N/A top end swapped on it sometime during its life. It's currently sitting outside with the head off of it, and you can clearly see the N/A exhaust parts, and the Turbo dished pistons in the bottom end. Poor truck probably ran like ass and I bet the guy who had that done instantly regretted it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was much younger and poor(er) I blew the motor in my 86 4x4.
It had 4 broken piston rings and a large gouge in one bore. Rear crank bearings were toast too.
I drove it 100 miles to the desert, beat the crap out of it offroad, temp gauge pegged the whole time and drove it home. It had so much blowby, I roadside fabricated a catch can out of a gatorade bottle and would stop every 45 minutes or so to pour the oil back in the engine.

Pulled the head and the oil pan off, popped the pistons out, ran a dingle ball hone down the bores, put new rings and bearings in it and slapped it all back together. I drove it for another year before I parked it. It then sat for almost a decade before I decided to pull it apart to start a rebuild. I bet a buddy of mine that it would start. Chucked a battery in it, squirted some starting fluid down the carb and she fired right up. Ran like crap but it ran.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Still on original converter and setup...just only the conversion was done for the new one.

Was using Mexican Freon for a long long time until I said fuck it and went to the new style.

View Quote
My 87 is still running R12 in the AC system, I have never done anything to it in the decade I have owned it, still blows cold.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you like the 4:56s?  I'm running the stock 4:10s with 32s.  It's fine around town but doesn't like 5th gear on the highway.  

I hate to go 4:88 in case I ever go to a smaller tire.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I was much younger and poor(er) I blew the motor in my 86 4x4.
It had 4 broken piston rings and a large gouge in one bore. Rear crank bearings were toast too.
I drove it 100 miles to the desert, beat the crap out of it offroad, temp gauge pegged the whole time and drove it home. It had so much blowby, I roadside fabricated a catch can out of a gatorade bottle and would stop every 45 minutes or so to pour the oil back in the engine.

Pulled the head and the oil pan off, popped the pistons out, ran a dingle ball hone down the bores, put new rings and bearings in it and slapped it all back together. I drove it for another year before I parked it. It then sat for almost a decade before I decided to pull it apart to start a rebuild. I bet a buddy of mine that it would start. Chucked a battery in it, squirted some starting fluid down the carb and she fired right up. Ran like crap but it ran.
View Quote
One of my friends bought an '82 4x4 with a "clean" body/frame, with a windowed 22R.

He drove it off the trailer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
They're all over the place out here. I drive a '94, myself. Like the other guy said, 'till death do us part.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
NICE!

Especially for a rust belt truck. Please tell me you don't drive it during salt season. Those have got to be a rarity up there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NICE!

Especially for a rust belt truck. Please tell me you don't drive it during salt season. Those have got to be a rarity up there.
It stays mostly out of the salt, mostly. Those are replacement front fenders. The 3.0 is a pig, about 18 mpg with the current tire/gearing, 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
There's a reason that ISIS drives these things. Their politics are a bit extreme, but they know dependable, reasonably priced transportation when they see it. Even Rafe Sagarin in "Learning from the Octopus" called Toyota trucks among the most capable and adaptable machines ever built (paraphrase).
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Mexicans are buying the living shit out of them.  There is always a train of them heading to the border.  I see it on the freeway almost every day.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mexicans are buying the living shit out of them.  There is always a train of them heading to the border.  I see it on the freeway almost every day.  
View Quote
Buddy of mine had a  Nissan hard body 4x4 with a ton of miles  for sale a few years back .

Guy that bought it showed up with a large trailer with a few other Toyota and Nissan trucks already  on it .

Said he hauled um to south America to sell 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought one like that new in 1986 and beat the crap out of for 12 years, then some scumbug stole it.   
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get the occasional window roll down "se vende?" in traffic when I am driving one of mine.

I know I will kick myself for it but the extracab 4x4 (dark blue one) might be se vende in the not too distant future. Just don't drive it much and I want something newer for longer overland trips (4th gen 4x4 4runner or 100 series LC).
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a 1985, bought brand new at Fletcher Jones in Las Vegas, moved to Ohio and it got ruined in 3 winters, miss that damn truck
View Quote
Those trucks rusted so bad and so fast it's like what you see when you piss through toilet paper.

you could almost hear them fall apart in Ohio
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those trucks rusted so bad and so fast it's like what you see when you piss through toilet paper.

View Quote
I think the only thing that could rust faster were '80s and '90s Fords.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Mexico is really putting a strain on the supply of used trucks in the U.S.

Almost everyone I know who has sold a small used truck in the past few years had the buyer tell them it was going to Mexico.

ETA: I'm in the upper MW too, so we aren't just talking about border states.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cool. I see bone stock survivors around here occasionally. While rust isn't an issue, passing smog or getting stolen and taken south of the border are.
Two of mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_0930-283447.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_1339-283446.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_1018-283451.JPG
View Quote
Wow that 4x4 one is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#27]
She's getting there.  Still have a lot of work ahead of me though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been rocking the 1992 Toyota P/U since 2000. It had 5,000 miles on it when I got it and it has 105,XXX now. Reliable and handy as fuck but the sciatica is making driving a standard a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I see a few mint 80's Toyota trucks from time to time. Saw a perfect first gen 4Runner SR5 recently with the windows up on a 95* day. Clean as hell and working AC. I was jelly. 

I miss my 89 4Runner and want another. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
My grandpa just picked up a 92 that is spotless.

With 42,000 miles, perfect body, only the slightest bit of surface rust on some suspension/steering parts. They go to Arizona for winter so the little Toyota stays in a climate controlled garage for the winter. I'll re-up my ARF subscription and upload some pics.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep.  Mexico is really putting a strain on the supply of used trucks in the U.S.

Almost everyone I know who has sold a small used truck in the past few years had the buyer tell them it was going to Mexico.

ETA: I'm in the upper MW too, so we aren't just talking about border states.
View Quote
Up here in the northern states we are buying tons of trucks in Canada due to the weak Canadian dollar and poor Canadian economy.  

Looks like used trucks gradually migrate south.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a 1985, bought brand new at Fletcher Jones in Las Vegas, moved to Ohio and it got ruined in 3 winters, miss that damn truck
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
4:56 is perfect and I can go uphill in 5th gear. Can pull my trailer and boat easier also.

4:88 was too high from many peoples opinions.

4:56 is easier to get also...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
My 93 that I bought in 95 with 23k. Now has 178k and I still love it.  
It's a great 2nd vehicle. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know of one that literally rusted in half when it was about 5 years old.  Frame rusted so bad the truck literally broke into two pieces where the cab meets the bed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know of one that literally rusted in half when it was about 5 years old.  Frame rusted so bad the truck literally broke into two pieces where the cab meets the bed.
View Quote
It's actually right at the forward rear leaf spring mount, but yeah, they all die from that, eventually.

ETA: Unless they live in a desert, then they carry on until they can't run anymore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On an OG box frame pickup (not a Tacoma)?  I honestly find that very hard to believe.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Love me some straight axle yotas!  I've had two 84s over the years. The first one was rust free everywhere including the bed. The second I had the typical rusty bed with no cab rust. I pulled the bed and my son and I fabbed up an All Pro style flat bed ( along with front bumper and rails). I still have the old rusty bed off of it back I'm the woods behind the shop. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Up here in the northern states we are buying tons of trucks in Canada due to the weak Canadian dollar and poor Canadian economy.  

Looks like used trucks gradually migrate south.
View Quote
Cool.  Are people buying 25YO+ trucks to get around the import deal, or is it not really an issue up there?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On an OG box frame pickup (not a Tacoma)?  I honestly find that very hard to believe.
View Quote
Are you sure you've ever owned one of these (or closely known anyone who's owned one)?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cool.  Are people buying 25YO+ trucks to get around the import deal, or is it not really an issue up there?
View Quote
Mostly newer domestic pickups.  Domestic vehicles, and in particular Ford and GM are very easy to import...Ford being the easiest.  No importation tax due to NAFTA.  All you need to do is prove that the vehicle meets all applicable US emissions and safety standards at the date of manufacture.  Call the mfg with the VIN and they will send you a letter stating such.  Fords are build the same for US and Canada other than the gauge (MPH vs KPH) and since the KPH gauge has MPH in the small inner scale, you don't need to change it.  Some GM's need to be retrofitted with some sort of airbag indicator light that is used the US and not in Canada.  Dodge doesn't really want people to import so it can be much more difficult to get the compliance letter from them.  Japanese and European cars and trucks can be a pain in the ass to import.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are you sure you've ever owned one of these (or closely known anyone who's owned one)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.  See pics in earlier post.  The frames on the older pickups were pretty overbuilt for that size of a truck.

I know the beds rusted off, but it took a lot of neglect to rust one of those frames in half.

To make it happen in 5 years, it was either a factory defect or in a ridiculously caustic environment. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Not a big truck guy but those little Toyota's are sweet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mostly newer domestic pickups.  Domestic vehicles, and in particular Ford and GM are very easy to import...Ford being the easiest.  No importation tax due to NAFTA.  All you need to do is prove that the vehicle meets all applicable US emissions and safety standards at the date of manufacture.  Call the mfg with the VIN and they will send you a letter stating such.  Fords are build the same for US and Canada other than the gauge (MPH vs KPH) and since the KPH gauge has MPH in the small inner scale, you don't need to change it.  Some GM's need to be retrofitted with some sort of airbag indicator light that is used the US and not in Canada.  Dodge doesn't really want people to import so it can be much more difficult to get the compliance letter from them.  Japanese and European cars and trucks can be a pain in the ass to import.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great info.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL.  See pics in earlier post.  The frames on the older pickups were pretty overbuilt for that size of a truck.

I know the beds rusted off, but it took a lot of neglect to rust one of those frames in half.

To make it happen in 5 years, it was either a factory defect or in a ridiculously caustic environment. 
View Quote
Yeah, I saw the pics.

Most of my experience has been with trucks that see salt, and I'm fairly sure that Mr Goodkat is talking about a Minnesota truck. I could buy road salt killing one with a quickness, especially if you never cleaned the truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
MN.  It was my aunt's truck.

Truck was an '81 or '82 and this happened in '87 or '88, so it could have been maybe 7 years old max.  But, it did indeed happen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Great info.  Thank you.
View Quote
Myself and several coworkers have bought them.  Exchange rate is about a 25% discount right off the top and the prices before the exchange rate used to be a fair amount lower than here, but they have been creeping up.  When oil dropped three or four years ago there were mass layoffs in the Canadian oil fields, the market was quickly flooded with diesel trucks and the deals were unreal.  Still good deals now, but not like it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Truck was an '81 or '82 and this happened in '87 or '88, so it could have been maybe 7 years old max.  But, it did indeed happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't trying to call you a liar, but damn that seems fast.  These things are getting old now but I still see a good amount of flat beds running around in snow country out west.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
The old SFA pre Taco ones were called ''Son Of Land Cruiser" for good reason.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top