View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, what a bunch of tards.
LOL!

Pot, meet kettle.
Code of Virginia: § 15.2-1812 Memorials for war veterans A locality may, within the geographical limits of the locality, authorize and permit the erection of monuments or memorials for any war or conflict, or for any engagement of such war or conflict, to include the following monuments or memorials: Algonquin (1622), French and Indian (1754-1763), Revolutionary (1775-1783), War of 1812 (1812-1815), Mexican (1846-1848), Confederate or Union monuments or memorials of the War Between the States (1861-1865), Spanish-American (1898), World War I (1917-1918), World War II (1941-1945), Korean (1950-1953), Vietnam (1965-1973), Operation Desert Shield-Desert Storm (1990-1991), Global War on Terrorism (2000- ), Operation Enduring Freedom (2001- ), and Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003- ). If such are erected, it shall be unlawful for the authorities of the locality, or any other person or persons, to disturb or interfere with any monuments or memorials so erected, or to prevent its citizens from taking proper measures and exercising proper means for the protection, preservation and care of same.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, in fairness, that article lists the population of Katy at 14,000.  While that may be true for the incorporated City of katy, the actual population of "Greater Katy" that the school district serves is about 310,000 people.  Or to put it another way, we are bigger than Pittsburgh, PA.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My property taxes are $20K per year and my local football team sucks.  The stadium sucks too!!  
View Quote
How big a house you got?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

New Hampshire's Income is #5 in the country
http://www.nhbr.com/April-14-2017/New-Hampshires-per-capita-income-is-fifth-in-the-nation/

"Personal income grew by 4.7 percent in the Granite State, to about $58,322 per capita, according to a U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis report released Tuesday. That’s the fifth-highest per capita number in the United States"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

Per capita income is 27% higher in NH than Texas, and household income is 25% higher.

Texas is lower than the US average for both household and personal income.

Schools are ranked #3 in the country
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

Overall tax burden we are #46, compared with Texas at #34
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

NH has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, Texas one of the highest.
http://www.instantcriminalchecks.com/images/resources-violent-crime-data.gif

We also have constitutional carry
View Quote
I own a home on Silver Lake there and as evidenced by your post, have no clue what PPP is.  Not to mention ranking schools across an entire state when You're the size of some of our school districts is just silly.  We probably have single school districts bigger than New Hamshire's entire system.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
A snazzy place to watch kids' brains hit the insides of their skulls...  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How big a house you got?
View Quote
3981 house. 2600 barn on 7 acres.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ncaa football is already the farm league for the nfl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is utterly indefensible. Without reading the thread, I'm going to bet a bunch of Texans in the thread are defending it though, or just attacking people for where they live (ad hominem).
I am from Texas, born and raised. I played high school football in a pretty badass stadium with lots of booster support for nice stuff and 20k people on Friday nights...

This is utterly ridiculous.

The older I get the more I think we should remove sports from school and turn them over to the private sector for club leagues. At the NCAA level you can have schools sponsor club teams so they still can have COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!! but the kids are actually paid professionals hired by the school and it can be the farm league for the NFL. Hey, hopefully, they can actually use this stadium unlike the $60 million abortion in Allen.
ncaa football is already the farm league for the nfl.
Absolutely, but those guys should be paid like minor league ball players and we should end the silliness that the vast majority of them are "student athletes". 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Wiki says KISD budget is $784mil.

How KISD money is spent

I give zero fucks about their new stadium.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]

7,000 students

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I own a home on Silver Lake there and as evidenced by your post, have no clue what PPP is.  Not to mention ranking schools across an entire state when You're the size of some of our school districts is just silly.  We probably have single school districts bigger than New Hamshire's entire system.
View Quote
I know exactly what PPP is, and the BEA makes PPP estimates for every state (Regional price parities)

New Hampshire is 8.5% more expensive than Texas. Incomes are 25-27% higher in nominal terms which means 15-17% higher in PPP terms.

New Hampshire doesn't have the luxury of digging/sucking ~8% of it's economy out of the ground either.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 In my wallet. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do, they are a distraction from the stated goal and suck resources from education. If kids want to play sports, they should do it on their time and dime. 
Tell us where the coach touched you..
 In my wallet. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't even look that great for $72 million. Seriously what makes it THAT expensive?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not just the property taxes, which for most wealthy suburban counties is rarely raised (mine says 20 years and this year the tax rate is going down).

It's the assessment where they get us, which can be increased 10% per year.
View Quote
DING DING DING!!!

Collin county touts that they haven't raised their taxes in something like 20y too.  But they do a blanket 10% assessment increase every year...which is compounding.  

So they increase tax burden 10% every year even though they don't increase the tax rate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Now the United States illiteracy rate is starting to make sense.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And how much does a teacher make a year at that school? I'm sure it ain't shit
View Quote
Average is $45k.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know exactly what PPP is, and the BEA makes PPP estimates for every state (Regional price parities)

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/rpp/2017/_images/rpp0617_chart_01.png

New Hampshire is 8.5% more expensive than Texas. Incomes are 25-27% higher in nominal terms which means 15-17% higher in PPP terms.

New Hampshire doesn't have the luxury of digging/sucking ~8% of it's economy out of the ground either.
View Quote
Based on BEA and AI
This is the actual average post tax difference when the only controls are consumer prices, rent and tax.
Texas $38,118
N. Hampshire $40,591

Again I own homes in both, guess has dramatically larger homes for the money, not figured into a lot of the calculations?  Now control for race and see what happens
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not surprised. I went to public school in Texas. We had a 30:1 student/teacher ratio, a dilapidated high school, and history books that ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall. In fact, we had so few books that you weren't assigned one, they stayed in the classroom. But by God, did we have a big ol' football stadium. The town next to us had just built a multimillion dollar stadium and we needed one as well.

People don't give a shit whether Jr. is learning or even knows how to read. The #1 priority is football.

Momma was right.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]
HA!  Soon as I read the title, I wondered if it's the place I grew up.  Football really is religion there.  Every family was at HS football Friday night.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in Katy....

The schools here are great, my kids are getting a stellar education and all of them will be accepted to D-1 Colleges.

Teachers in TX makes some of the highest rates in the country for their chosen profession. 

Yes, property taxes are high but the lack income taxes and sales taxes on staple food items makes it pretty much a wash.

I pay under $2 for gas.

Yes, football is king but those of you claiming that football is the only priority and the level of education is subpar are incorrect.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in Katy....

The schools here are great, my kids are getting a stellar education and all of them will be accepted to D-1 Colleges.

Teachers in TX makes some of the highest rates in the country for their chosen profession. 

Yes, property taxes are high but the lack income taxes and sales taxes on staple food items makes it pretty much a wash.

I pay under $2 for gas.

Yes, football is king but those of you claiming that football is the only priority and the level of education is subpar are incorrect.

View Quote
Lol, that's not the academic ranking system, that's the sports ranking system.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There should be no high school sports.

You want to play games, get a monopoly board and do it after 3pm.
View Quote
Lol, so edgy
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, but no income taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6k taxes on a 200k valued house? Did I read that correctly ? Lulz
I don't have them either and my taxes are nowhere near that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6k taxes on a 200k valued house? Did I read that correctly ? Lulz
Those aren't State taxes. They vary by county as do land and home values.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just hope that they used a decent concrete contractor.
View Quote
If not they can use Plano's stadium until it's fixed
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lol, Texas.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Wife and I spent almost 2 week in Plano for her business...we were treated to a tour and dinner at that new Dallas football stadium, practice fields, etc...holy hell, we were surrounded by so much money. It was amazing from a wealth perspective.

I am not a football fan and I wouldn't lose a single iota of sleep if football disappeared for ever because I think it showcases at the College and NFL levels what is so wrong in our nation..

I get why that school spent $72m on a new stadium in Texas...I don't care that they did or not as it doesn't effect anything going on my life.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good thing Texas has it's priorities straight when it comes to schooling.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yExfgDzfhYKz1AdK8y6ACfLcYyD8TUfgvYzCTqGk98ZPgA1WzRPOGXq-qoc8Ru9c7oXdxJmubqoiO_NXGY6_UaWy4DpR7xr9DIb4kdTxfenUuSziBrEzAtRriHZLIdbEoQ

Spending 5-10% of the town GDP on a highschool football stadium makes perfect sense.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wish some school board members held out for at least that, think hosting a fundraiser at the local airport hangar where company bases their jet, then catering with candidates campaign paying for it all.  SO the fundraiser costs company zero, candidate makes a little $$ for their campaign and Joe Citizen takes it in the ass.

I experienced this first hand at the last CCISD election and bond cycle.
View Quote
Amazing yet not surprising.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Lulz

50% will be cutting lawns for a living in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It doesn't even look that great for $72 million. Seriously what makes it THAT expensive?
View Quote
You think that stadium will only cost 72 million ? Lol

Itll be 100 and 3 yrs late.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We live in a VERY small town in Tx. We have a large Astro Turf stadium. Our taxes on a LARGE home with 120 acres are about 6K per year. My BIL lives in a SMALL condo in Highland Park Tx. and his taxes are about double what ours are. Football here is King. It's almost as if nobody ever grows up.
View Quote
It's worse than that in the richer districts, our local idiots just authorized a $70M performing arts center that will cost $500k a year just to maintain.  It's starting to look like detroit in the golden years, when the gravy train ends who pays for this shit or will it just get abandoned to urban explorers?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is utterly indefensible. Without reading the thread, I'm going to bet a bunch of Texans in the thread are defending it though, or just attacking people for where they live (ad hominem).
View Quote
I have a couple friends in Katy they said not that many people wanted this stadium but it's getting rammed through anyways
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I live in Katy....

I pay under $2 for gas.

View Quote
Florida checking in.
No Income tax 
No sales tax on food and 6.5% on everything else
$2.15 a gallon yesterday
Property taxes are 3600 on assessed value of 200K with market value of $320k. 
Our average teacher salary is 97.5% of Texas, yet your property taxes are double? BTW, 36 states are above TX in average teacher salary
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2013/12/15/how-much-teachers-get-paid-state-by-state/?utm_term=.f5412e55c477
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Ridiculous  The love affair that this country has with anything football related is truly mind boggling to behold.  It's a fucking children's game and some people seem to worship it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I live in Katy....

I pay under $2 for gas.

View Quote
But yet you only describe th schools as D-1 which is a sports ranking not an academic ranking.

Personally I'm more proud that my school is a top ten school academically than a D-1 school.

It's also nice that when you see alumni from my school on TV they're trying to explain cutting-edge research/ treatments in a way the general public can understand instead of "It was a good game.  We won the game be cuz we score more points, if you score more points then you usually win the fame. It was a good game if you work hard and score more points"
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lulz

50% will be cutting lawns for a living in a few years.
View Quote
It's good money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
 I do, they are a distraction from the stated goal and suck resources from education. If kids want to play sports, they should do it on their time and dime. 
View Quote
This man is wise. Listen to him.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I've driven thru most of that state, even the remote little towns all have really nice football facilities.   That's their thing, and I'm fine with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Believe me, they are not hurting for money in Katy, as well as many other nicer cities around Houston. 

It's mind boggling how much money changes hands yearly around that area. 
View Quote
Remember seeing a lambo driving around the suburbs there. They have a lot of a black substance described locally as "owil"
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was wrong, in this case.  Education isn't being robbed to pay for sports; rather, sports are being funded in addition to education.  It's not a zero sum game.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ridiculous  The love affair that this country has with anything football related is truly mind boggling to behold.  It's a fucking children's game and some people seem to worship it.
View Quote
Plus it makes you stupid.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?mcubz=1
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Plus it makes you stupid.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?mcubz=1
View Quote
Yeah.  An expensive children's game that damages the brains of the children who play it.  Then we wonder why Asian countries are kicking our asses academically.  Maybe it's because they don't put a ton of importance on a pointless brain damage inducing game, and instead think academics are more important.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is NOT a "Katy HS" stadium. It is a Katy ISD stadium and every high school in our district uses it. I live about 3 miles from the stadium. It's right across the parking lot from the old stadium. Katy is one of the best school districts in the state. My oldest daughter is a senior in this district but she does not go to Katy HS. We will probably go to several games this season just to get out on a Friday. We don't have any kids in sports but like it's been mentioned many times already in this thread, football is king in Texas. Even more so in Katy. We host marching band and drill team competitions here and teams from all across the state come to compete so don't think it's only used a few months of the year and that's it.
We've lived here for 18 years and love it.

What this article doesn't mention, (of course), is that when the bond was passed there was a lot of other things included as well. Money to update and expand the ag center. Money for the Merrell center and other programs like nursing, dental programs, welding, law, etc.... It also provided funds to build a couple more high schools, junior high, and elementary schools. Katy is one of the fast growing areas of the state if not the entire country.
And, YES, I did vote for this. Whether you agree with it or not it does a lot for our community.
View Quote
So, rather than taking out your checkbook yourself, you voted to take other people's money so you kid would have something to do on Friday nights?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
 And can be disputed every year with astonishing success. My assessment went up every year for 12 straight years. I think 2 of them stood after dispute. 

Property taxes are not bad in Harris County, unless you roll over and take it. 
View Quote
It really depends on where the property is in Harris County. Some neighborhoods aren't getting that kind of pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He was wrong, in this case.  Education isn't being robbed to pay for sports; rather, sports are being funded in addition to education.  It's not a zero sum game.
View Quote
Except they are as a myriad (not a football word) of posts above me have demonstrated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
but where does all the good football recruits come from usually? Floriduh, iirc?
View Quote
Belle Glade, Pahokee, and Canal Point, specifically.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Remember seeing a lambo driving around the suburbs there. They have a lot of a black substance described locally as "owil"
View Quote
There is no "owil" around katy.

There are however many "owil bizness" employees living there due to katy being close to the Energy Corridor where BP, Shell, and many other "owil biznesses" have large campuses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
here's how this shit happens.   The school board and district hold a referendum vote on this.  They make daaaaamned sure to hold that off season - never on the same day as an actual election.   literally 2% of the population vote.  It passes - it always passes - because all the teachers,  contractors,  and football morons all go and vote for it.

I watched a quarter BILLION dollar budget increase pass in my district using this exact model.   2% of the population voted - that was it.
View Quote
The sneaky bastages utilize this same strategy at multiple levels.  All this type of stuff should be rolled into a single ballot that coincides with major elections to maximize voter participation vs minimizing participation so the special interests can pull weight
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#49]
First, you all need to understand the Texas Property Tax system.

From each according to his real estate holdings, with considerable breaks given to homesteads or old people.  

To each according to the number of his crotch fruit, natural born, adopted, or just living with them cause their birth parents are in jail.  

You know, cause Texas is all about freedom, liberty, limited government, and massive re-distribution of wealth via property taxes.

We spend close to 10K per student per year for public schools in Texas.  Meanwhile, people with three kids in public schools bitch and moan about paying 4K a year in property taxes.  

They don't give a shit about all the childless people spending 30K plus a year in property taxes.  Fairness and justice, according to them,  demands that they loot the wealthy to pay for their spawn's education, including state of the art stadiums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I dread the coming years as the DFW idiots continue to move here to get away from the city, then try to turn our small town into their city. We've voted down bonds the past 2 years, and  while we voted them down by a pretty substantial margin, I know that is going to change before too long. It is happening all around us. Some of stuff is needed such as land acquisition, but I find it very hard to spend millions on a baseball/softball complex when our schools suck as bad as they do. Almost everybody that I know my age that still lives here transfers their kids out of the district.

They were/are telling people the amount they are asking for is more than they will actually need to build the field and they wouldn't spend the excess money that was passed in the bond.

Bullfuckingshit you won't.

How about you get a bid and we go off that, I'll consider it then.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top