Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Despite the extra $14 million cost taxpayers didn't vote for but will still end up paying, Katy officials aren't concerned.
View Quote
Of course the officials aren't concerned, they aren't the ones paying for it...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you vote against it?
View Quote
Yes but knew it would happen anyway. It's a hard sell since I was paying to send both my kids through college and my money also supposed to go towards a High School stadium. Plus neither of my kids went to that school in Katy when they WERE in HS anyway. We live on the wrong side of the tracks. :P
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
This is fucking stupid.

What a waste of tax payer money and education money.

For all I am concerned they need to bring back the red brick box that is just filled with rooms, desks and chairs... and stop building these architectural wet dream campuses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
72 million would have built a nice hockey arena.  Then they could have had a real sport.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There should be no high school sports.

You want to play games, get a monopoly board and do it after 3pm.
View Quote
If you're insisting they throw around fake money, might as well get a job
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mancow is absolutely correct.
Look at the countries that are kicking our asses when it comes to education.
Sports are not part of school. They have private clubs for that.

It's ridiculous how much time is taken away from education to promote sports during the school week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mancow is absolutely correct.
Look at the countries that are kicking our asses when it comes to education.
Sports are not part of school. They have private clubs for that.

It's ridiculous how much time is taken away from education to promote sports during the school week.
Thats not even the most insidious part about it.

You can't discipline/kick out problems, or fail them, because we need him to run the ball this friday night.

So little Jamarcus avoids all punishment for his actions, until he outgrows his skill level, and winds up in prison... or he winds up Aaron Hernandez
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The guy crying about it has a household income of 150-200k, on a "valued" 200k home, said it increased by 60k, so he has a lot of free equity, and purchased a 140k home.

Boo fucking hoo.
View Quote
So you are OK with the continuing rise of taxes because of poor or out of control spending habits? You are OK with these same type people assessing the taxed property as worth more and more so that the revenue generated it increased? And then you are OK with an individual engaged in a long term commitment (mortgage) to play short term games with this "free" equity? I'm not even sure where one would start teaching the basics of this to you.........

Another entire topic is you bringing up his income range - who the F cares if he makes $500k a year and lives in a mobile home outside of town? You believe that since (compared to you) he can "afford" to have more of his property taken (money, taxes) that it is ok for someone to go ahead and take it.  

The brainwashing is working as planned......
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not just the property taxes, which for most wealthy suburban counties is rarely raised (mine says 20 years and this year the tax rate is going down).

It's the assessment where they get us, which can be increased 10% per year.
View Quote
This its freaking out of control.  And I protest every year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hole Lee Shat! That's over 6 times the tax rate I pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6k taxes on a 200k valued house? Did I read that correctly ? Lulz

Hole Lee Shat! That's over 6 times the tax rate I pay.
My state income tax rate is infinitely lower than yours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is how it works.  

Old people get their property taxes capped/reduced.  

Bond elections are scheduled during the minor time period - not Nov. with the regular election, but normally in the Spring.  

Old people turn out in greater numbers for these off cycle elections.  So do people with children that could potentially use the facilities.  

They essentially vote to tax the other people/rich people/business.  

If they let us vote corporate style - one vote for each dollar in property taxes paid - no "grand" stadiums would be built.  

And, underlying the whole sales pitch is this weird tribalism/nationalism/local pride thing.  People think that the local HS team going to the state playoffs reflects on them.  As if the town is "better" than some other town because of this sport success.  The accomplishments of the team and the coaches brings all this local "pride."  Sure, the place can be a complete shit hole, but they will rally around some sport success, even though they don't play, coach, or otherwise have any role in the team's success.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to see their budget for education before passing judgement.

Katy ISD is not hurting for money. Further, this is for 8 schools. While it looks bad on the surface I'm going out on a limb and guessing the percentage of their budget spent on this is commensurate with the "poorer" school districts.

I still don't understand how construction companies get away with ballooning costs. This thing was supposed to cost $58mil then "ballooned."
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure that with the School Board and Superintendent pushing this stadium and spending they have the best best rated school in the state and 90% or more graduates get into an ivy league school if they want? Else they would never consider spending money on this, I am sure.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Katy HS already has a stadium.  Is this another or to replace the old one?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
This will come back to haunt the district when their pension fund collapses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Wanna see some real money?  Look at Austin ISD's budget numbers.  Sports stadiums, which last for 30+ years, and the associated programs are a drop in the bucket compared to other budget items.  If we really wanted to manage spend in our school districts - and by extension, tax rates - we should really look elsewhere.  Folks in AISD are especially pissed this year because over $400M of the district's budget has been allocated to the state as part of the chapter 41 recapture program, AKA Robin Hood, whereby higher income districts have part of their budgets reallocated to lower income areas.  AISD's enrollment has been dropping YOY, but taxes keep going up, along with the budget.

*Disclaimer, I'm not in AISD as I escaped out to a suburb long ago.

Attachment Attached File

Source
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I have dealt with the construction companies that put together these bond packages for schools, the slick marketing campaigns, political fund raisers, and donors.  They are a well oiled machine of Political Entrepreneurship, Cronyism, and scum.

The politicians at the school board level are also very cheap to buy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have dealt with the construction companies that put together these bond packages for schools, the slick marketing campaigns, political fund raisers, and donors.  They are a well oiled machine of Political Entrepreneurship, Cronyism, and scum.

View Quote
Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I bet a trip to red lobster and a cheap weekend getaway package would get you the keys to the city
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is fucking stupid.

What a waste of tax payer money and education money.

For all I am concerned they need to bring back the red brick box that is just filled with rooms, desks and chairs... and stop building these architectural wet dream campuses.
View Quote
Exactly

The local junior college ( tax payor funded) here looks like a top university. It far outstrips several
Of the large universities I worked for in terms of luxury and aesthetics
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Soon after I moved to Texas, the school district had an election on $360 million bond to "make our school buildings sexy" as one board member described.  Surprisingly, it was voted down and half the board lost in the next election.

I moved here from Colorado and I now pay four times more in property taxes.  Colorado home prices are ridiculous but because of the high property taxes my home in Texas has a lower assessed value than my home in Colorado.  I could not afford to "buy up" because of the property taxes.

I would much prefer to get rid of property taxes and just pay a high sales tax.  Taxing property values artificially keeps prices low.  People with high incomes refuse to "buy up" because of the high property taxes.  In other words, high property taxes slow down home sales thus harming the economy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My taxes last year were $6500 on a $230K house.  I'm in Ft Worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6k taxes on a 200k valued house? Did I read that correctly ? Lulz
My taxes last year were $6500 on a $230K house.  I'm in Ft Worth.
Don't u get a big % off if you are a FL resident?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I grew up in South East PA in the 80's and football was huge, not on the level of Texas, but close and I couldn't imagine stadiums like this.

Is it a Texas thing, the snowflake generation or both?
View Quote
Didn't realize those young snowflakes were the ones voting for this?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is NOT a "Katy HS" stadium. It is a Katy ISD stadium and every high school in our district uses it. I live about 3 miles from the stadium. It's right across the parking lot from the old stadium. Katy is one of the best school districts in the state. My oldest daughter is a senior in this district but she does not go to Katy HS. We will probably go to several games this season just to get out on a Friday. We don't have any kids in sports but like it's been mentioned many times already in this thread, football is king in Texas. Even more so in Katy. We host marching band and drill team competitions here and teams from all across the state come to compete so don't think it's only used a few months of the year and that's it.
We've lived here for 18 years and love it.

What this article doesn't mention, (of course), is that when the bond was passed there was a lot of other things included as well. Money to update and expand the ag center. Money for the Merrell center and other programs like nursing, dental programs, welding, law, etc.... It also provided funds to build a couple more high schools, junior high, and elementary schools. Katy is one of the fast growing areas of the state if not the entire country.
And, YES, I did vote for this. Whether you agree with it or not it does a lot for our community.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the 2.5% City tax I paid didn't go to the city?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Income taxes wouldn't go towards the local government anyway.
So the 2.5% City tax I paid didn't go to the city?
Are you in Texas?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bet a trip to red lobster and a cheap weekend getaway package would get you the keys to the city
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish some school board members held out for at least that, think hosting a fundraiser at the local airport hangar where company bases their jet, then catering with candidates campaign paying for it all.  SO the fundraiser costs company zero, candidate makes a little $$$ for their campaign and Joe Citizen takes it in the ass.

I experienced this first hand at the last CCISD election and bond cycle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#26]
At least the kids will have a shiny stadium for the parents to watch their children smash/concuss away their forty-something ranked Texas education.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wish some school board members held out for at least that, think hosting a fundraiser at the local airport hangar where company bases their jet, then catering with candidates campaign paying for it all.  SO the fundraiser costs company zero, candidate makes a little $$ for their campaign and Joe Citizen takes it in the ass.

I experienced this first hand at the last CCISD election and bond cycle.
View Quote
Fuck
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"It's something that this community wanted," Katy ISD Superintendent Lance Hindt told KTRK. "I don't think the cost was anything that they really looked into."
But that title might not last long because in Texas, high school football is taken seriously -- and serious money is spent on stadiums.
Link
View Quote
Legacy Stadium in Katy, with a population of about 14,000 people, will be able to seat 12,000 spectators.

$72,000,000 divided 14,000= tax of $5,142 per resident.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Legacy Stadium in Katy, with a population of about 14,000 people, will be able to seat 12,000 spectators.

$72,000,000 divided 14,000= tax of $5,142 per resident.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is NOT a "Katy HS" stadium. It is a Katy ISD stadium and every high school in our district uses it. I live about 3 miles from the stadium. It's right across the parking lot from the old stadium. Katy is one of the best school districts in the state. My oldest daughter is a senior in this district but she does not go to Katy HS. We will probably go to several games this season just to get out on a Friday. We don't have any kids in sports but like it's been mentioned many times already in this thread, football is king in Texas. Even more so in Katy. We host marching band and drill team competitions here and teams from all across the state come to compete so don't think it's only used a few months of the year and that's it.

What this article doesn't mention, (of course), is that when the bond was passed there was a lot of other things included as well. Money to update and expand the ag center. Money for the Merrell center and other programs like nursing, dental programs, welding, law, etc.... It also provided funds to build a couple more high schools, junior high, and elementary schools. Katy is one of the fast growing areas of the state if not the entire country.
And, YES, I did vote for this. Whether you agree with it or not it does a lot for our community.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to school there too.  I know the old stadium.  They spent more on sports than education.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Rome, circa 400AD
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#32]
That is fucking retarded
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The guy crying about it has a household income of 150-200k, on a "valued" 200k home, said it increased by 60k, so he has a lot of free equity, and purchased a 140k home.

Boo fucking hoo.
View Quote
Yeah fuck that guy right?

How about he gets to keep his fucking hard earned money. You a DU troll?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#34]
This is not a new thing.  Plus Katy is very populous suburb of Houston with several 5A schools probably sharing the stadium. I forget if it is 3 or 5 schools. Anyway Round Rock near Austin did this a few years ago.  Nice megatron.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Good thing Texas has it's priorities straight when it comes to schooling.

Spending 5-10% of the town GDP on a highschool football stadium makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How much are their property taxes?
View Quote
I live in Katy, and they are the highest allowed under state law.

This stadium is complete bullshit IMO.  Tons of better ways to spend that kind of tax money.

I voted against the bond issue for this lark, but obviously, I was in the minority.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is not a new thing.  Plus Katy is very populous suburb of Houston with several 5A schools probably sharing the stadium. I forget if it is 3 or 5 schools. Anyway Round Rock near Austin did this a few years ago.  Nice megatron.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you're not making good grades, you may as well know how to catch a ball.
View Quote
We ain't here to play school!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Wait, Katy has a heck of alot more than 14K in population.  

The Katy Ind. School District has over 70,000 students.  The school district is comprised of 181 sq. miles of suburbia.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#40]
We live in a VERY small town in Tx. We have a large Astro Turf stadium. Our taxes on a LARGE home with 120 acres are about 6K per year. My BIL lives in a SMALL condo in Highland Park Tx. and his taxes are about double what ours are. Football here is King. It's almost as if nobody ever grows up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
Well when our PPP drops 20ish percent to equal GDP per Capita to New Hampshire and we catch up in drug overdoses we will ask for advice.

Yes, most people agree that spending that much on a sports is stupid unless offsetting revenues could be generated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like a lot of money that could have been put into other programs.

Like Science, Math, Engineering, Technology, and........
The Arts
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Boo fucking hoo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much are their property taxes?
A lot.

Boo fucking hoo.
So theft is ok as long as the person is making decent money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Would be a damn shame if they spent it on education which they aren't exactly known for...

I know they love their football down there but that is downright fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd really don't see anything wrong with high property taxes as long as the residents get what they want.
View Quote
How about when people without property vote on taking other people's property?  (has this site gone completely communist?)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#46]
If I remember correctly, they had to package this boondoggle into three different bond packages before they got it to pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We also don't pay sales tax on food and medications.

Can of Spaghetti-O's is $1 on the shelf, it's $1 at checkout.
View Quote
So successful people that own property get raped and people who aren't and don't get a free ride. Got it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well when our PPP drops 20ish percent to equal GDP per Capita to New Hampshire and we catch up in drug overdoses we will ask for advice.

Yes, most people agree that spending that much on a sports is stupid unless offsetting revenues could be generated.
View Quote
New Hampshire's Income is #5 in the country
http://www.nhbr.com/April-14-2017/New-Hampshires-per-capita-income-is-fifth-in-the-nation/

"Personal income grew by 4.7 percent in the Granite State, to about $58,322 per capita, according to a U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis report released Tuesday. That’s the fifth-highest per capita number in the United States"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

Per capita income is 27% higher in NH than Texas, and household income is 25% higher.

Texas is lower than the US average for both household and personal income.

Schools are ranked #3 in the country
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

Overall tax burden we are #46, compared with Texas at #34
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

NH has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, Texas one of the highest.

We also have constitutional carry
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I just hope that they used a decent concrete contractor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#50]
My property taxes are $20K per year and my local football team sucks.  The stadium sucks too!!  
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top