Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So when you pass someone you should change lanes back in front of them with less than a 1 car length gap?
View Quote
Passing someone for going too slow and in turn you only go 2 miles faster and need an hour to get a big enough gap to feel safe to pass? no.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If they can fit, you could fit. Quit dawdling and drive your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the fuck out the left lane, then I won't pass on the right
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't like being passed on the right maybe stay out of the left lane?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Found a picture of OP on the highway:

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
LoL.   You're gonna give yourself a stroke old man.  

Of all the old customs that have gone obsolete and extinct, THAT's the one you're gonna freak out over.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't care if they want to drive faster than me.

I care that when I'm trying to pass, they try to pass me in the travel lane before I even have a chance to get back over.

It's a simple concept.
View Quote
It is a simple concept, and you're missing it: pass like a man. It's entirely your fault for operating your motor vehicle in the fashion of a bitch.

Get out of the way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You have no business in the left lane and you are probably one of those ass hats that pulls out in front of everyone to do 1mph over the limit and try to pass someone. Do is a favor and stay on the feeder road and don't get on the interstate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My favorite is when truckers go into the left lane near an on ramp to make room for people merging onto the freeway. Then people will start passing them on the right preventing the trucks trying to to get back into the right lane.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll take "Threads that didn't go as OP planned" for $400, Alex
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Passing someone for going too slow and in turn you only go 2 miles faster and need an hour to get a big enough gap to feel safe to pass? no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when you pass someone you should change lanes back in front of them with less than a 1 car length gap?
???

The difference in speed between op(75) and the semi(68-70) would be 5-7mph, not 2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Drive I10 and see how many times you have to slow down for idiots camping out in the number 1 lane, a lot more than "every now and then".
View Quote
I drive I10 every day. I drive I10 to Santa Barbara every month. I hate left lane campers. I, however, am smart enough to differentiate passers and campers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are in that big of a hurry you should take a plane.

Letting someone get at least 2 car lengths ahead of the person they passed is not unreasonable.

I mean today for instance I was going about 75 passing a semi going probably 68-70. So I passed the truck reasonably quickly, it was only a matter of seconds before I'd be clear to get back over.

But no, this guy in his little Honda Accord tried to split the gap right as I put my signal on. I was no more than 1.5 of my truck length ahead of the semi.

That's simply unsafe driving no matter what way you spin it... yeah If I had been camping for miles and was taking my sweet time passing it would be one thing. I wasn't. I got over to pass then was going to get back over.
View Quote
An Accord doesn't macerate accelerate that quickly. Either you are misinterpreting relative speed or you are misinterpreting spacing.

That being said; I never pass on the right. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get back in the right lane grandpa.
View Quote
This, pass, and get the fuck out of the way
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If they can fit, you could fit. Quit dawdling and drive your vehicle.
View Quote
This.  And I am a reasonably patient driver.  I get that someone wants to pass but maybe wants to leave a lot of safety space.  But passing is passing.  Make your move and GTF out of the way.  If someone has time to pass on the right you had time to move over.  It's not your roadway.  It's a public roadway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

???

The difference in speed between op(75) and the semi(68-70) would be 5-7mph, not 2.
View Quote
Guess I hit 2 instead of 5, what I get for not checking before posting and posting at night.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#18]
WHAT NOT TO DO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#19]
All I can say is get the fuck out of my way

did not see the pic above my post

yeah I would not do that
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Go be slow somewhere else, and turn off your F'n blinker.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#21]
What not to do is OP to get out of the right lane. Wish I had MS Paint at work...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Use your fucking turn signal to tell them you're going to get the fuck out of the way next time.  Or can you not loosen your 10 and 2 death grip on the steering wheel at highway speeds?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get back in the right lane grandpa.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Why is your piece of shit car backfiring? Why are you not further ahead of the semi? Why are you on the road at all?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree you shouldn't cross over a solid white line.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't be a left lane camper OP

Problem solved

(You may be one of those people that don't think they're the problem.....but they are.  Like my MIL)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't care if they want to drive faster than me.

I care that when I'm trying to pass, they try to pass me in the travel lane before I even have a chance to get back over.

It's a simple concept.
View Quote
Never mind the fact your assuring safe distance is maintained as you reenter the right lane.  I've passed in the left and as soon as a car sized hole is open between me and the right lane car,  have some dimwitted driver zip over and around me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
So I am stuck behind everybody going 65 in the right lane?

It's so simple of a concept yet it is going over 80% of the people in this thread's head.

People go all different speeds on the interstate. Some are going the speed limit, some are going slower, some are going faster. When I come up to a vehicle going slower than I am then I am going to pass. I don't have to bow down to the alphas behind me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, you're wrong.  Go buy a BMW, if that's what you think it takes to drive like a normal human being.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#30]
The OP is really going to be triggered by this video from my dashcam.  There is no law that says you have to pass on the left.  I go through traffic, where ever there is an opening.

Passing everybody on the right. Slow traffic blocking center and left.

To trigger the OP even more, here is my 400 mile drive in 3 minutes video.  Look how many cars I pass on the right because they are going too slow.

400 Miles in 3 Minutes - Atlanta GA to Georgetown KY - Driving I-75
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guess I hit 2 instead of 5, what I get for not checking before posting and posting at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

A 5mph difference is pretty substantial and would make for a quick pass.

The only question I have is about OP's initial move to the left lane in the first place.  If someone is coming up to slower traffic on the right and I am far back in the left(but close enough that I will catch them before they complete their pass) that's fine.  No big deal.  I can't fucking stand when people are pacing the person in front of them on the right for a long period of time, then as I come up to them in the left lane they decide "Oh shit, I better move over and pass this guy before Towely passes me!" and proceed to change lanes in front of me at the last second and pass the car they were pacing at 5-10mph less than I was traveling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's so simple of a concept yet it is going over 80% of the people in this thread's head.

People go all different speeds on the interstate. Some are going the speed limit, some are going slower, some are going faster. When I come up to a vehicle going slower than I am then I am going to pass. I don't have to bow down to the alphas behind me.
View Quote
Then deal with it when they pass you on the right, old man.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I never have the problem OP has, odd....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Did the BMW fit?  Then the pass was legit.

Quit your whining, drive faster, or just take uber from now on?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's the flip side to it...  Sometimes you can see that if they aren't going to move over you have a very short window to get around.  Do you take that opportunity and possibly cut off their lane change if they were going to be so kind or just hope they are going to be a gentleman and move over?

I say gentleman because if it's a woman in front of me I already know she aint doing shit and I'm on my own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, I am GOING TO GET BACK OVER. Even if I don't, your ass can stay behind me until you have a reasonable time or distance has elapsed and it appears that I am NOT.

Well a fucking shit load of people don't get back over.  They stay in the passing lane going slow as fuck.

Get over it.
There's the flip side to it...  Sometimes you can see that if they aren't going to move over you have a very short window to get around.  Do you take that opportunity and possibly cut off their lane change if they were going to be so kind or just hope they are going to be a gentleman and move over?

I say gentleman because if it's a woman in front of me I already know she aint doing shit and I'm on my own.
It's usually pretty easy to tell if they're going to get back over or stay in the left lane like a dick.  If they're being a dick, I pass on the right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe where you live.

Out here, any lane any speed and you can pass just about anywhere. If your slow ass is hogging the right and I can't get over in the left because another dbag is plugging that up, I can wait until the next ramp comes up and jump in that exit lane and pass you not a damn thing anyone is going to do about it.

But as it stands, you are bitching about traffic................While the country falls apart
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you admit to passing slower vehicles but then bitch about people pass you because you are the slower vehicle.

You don't have to bow to the alpha's behind you, you just have to sit your slower ass in the left lane while we pass you on the right.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why is your piece of shit car backfiring? Why are you not further ahead of the semi? Why are you on the road at all?
View Quote
Oh my lord.

If Im going 75 mph I am going 110 feet per second.

If the vehicle I am passing is going 70, they are going about 102 feet per second.

Which means that If I leave, at a minimum, 2 of my truck lengths it is only going to take me FOUR SECONDS to clear the vehicle I am passing sufficiently and start to merge back over.

4 SECONDS.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry your car's slow OP

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you don't pass on the right you couldn't drive on the Interstate these days.
View Quote
Yep. Don't know what OP expects everyone to do when every lane is clogged equally. You wait to pass on the left you may never pass. Fuck that. If you can't handle cars on both sides of you maybe you shouldn't be driving.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't believe a word the OP is saying. His tone gives away what type of driver he is.

$10 says he vindictively stays in the left as long as he thinks he can get away with. There are five of that type of asshole drivers to every one who passes on the right too early.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#42]
"your ass can stay behind me" FAIL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Maybe where you live.

Out here, any lane any speed and you can pass just about anywhere. If your slow ass is hogging the right and I can't get over in the left because another dbag is plugging that up, I can wait until the next ramp comes up and jump in that exit lane and pass you not a damn thing anyone is going to do about it.

But as it stands, you are bitching about traffic................While the country falls apart
View Quote
Yeah, car crashes are only #2 on the leading causes of injury death in this country.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I'll climb off the dogpile for a second to ask a legitimate question:

When in your diagram do you begin signalling?

I think you would have a better time of things if you were to begin signalling earlier, so as to reduce the anxiety of leadfoots like myself coming up behind you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Do the world a favor.

Bitch about people's driving from the right lane.

It will make us all safer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, add a poll.

1. OP is the driver's ed instructor America needs!

2. FU OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't believe a word the OP is saying. His tone gives away what type of driver he is.

$10 says he vindictively stays in the left as long as he thinks he can get away with. There are five of that type of asshole drivers to every one who passes on the right too early.
View Quote
Simply not true. But whatever you say.

I try to follow the left lane/right lane rules as best as I can. The entire nature of this thread are the people who pass on the right before I have a chance to get over. It's not like it happens every time I drive, but it happens enough that it pisses me off because it is so dangerous yet so preventable.

Not only is the car cutting off the vehicle that we both just passed, there is then the risk that as they try to zoom around me on the right so quickly, we end up hitting each other.

You are conflating left lane camping, which yes is a pain the pass and then passing on the right is no big deal; with right lane passing before the vehicle ahead of you has had a chance to get back over.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I pass on the right all the time. Let's be honest, if you aren't going 10-15mph over the speed limit on the freeway/highway/interstate then you are the problem. If you are going to do the speed limit just do us all a favor and stick to surface streets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Simply not true. But whatever you say.

I try to follow the left lane/right lane rules as best as I can. The entire nature of this thread are the people who pass on the right before I have a chance to get over. It's not like it happens every time I drive, but it happens enough that it pisses me off because it is so dangerous yet so preventable.

Not only is the car cutting off the vehicle that we both just passed, there is then the risk that as they try to zoom around me on the right so quickly, we end up hitting each other.

You are conflating left lane camping, which yes is a pain the pass and then passing on the right is no big deal; with right lane passing before the vehicle ahead of you has had a chance to get back over.
View Quote
Are you using your blinker or not?  Sounds like you're not.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top