Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of this stuff runs in cycles, and there are plenty of countries with FALs in storage/use still that may export them as parts kits.

Though...screw Bush II
View Quote
Not sure that was really Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not for me..... 

AR is best rifle. 
View Quote
Yeah, but I like old milsurps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Go L1A1 SLR or go home.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/62584.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
FALs ftw!

The one on the left (A2 FH) is a Century that I paid $425 for from Cabelas last year, the one on the right (AAC FH) is an Imbel that I bought in the EE

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
FALs are great

I shoot mine quite a bit

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry, but no. They aren't 8 MOA rifles if they are built correctly. I have gotten ~2 MOA with surplus and less with handloads. I've built quite a few FALs over the years: Aussie, Brit, Argie, Imbel, Rhodie... none of them were as inaccurate as you describe.

I prefer the AR-10 but your statement is absolutely false.
View Quote
Somethings wrong if you're only getting 8 moa.   Worse one I've had is 4 moa with surplus.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of this stuff runs in cycles, and there are plenty of countries with FALs in storage/use still that may export them as parts kits.

Though...screw Bush II
View Quote
Because Bush II did what?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because Bush II did what?
View Quote
Banned importation of barrels, making kits relatively worthless.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
No he didn't.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congratulations for writing one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
All American FAL. The only surplus parts are the gas piston tube and the bolt assembly, every thing else is US.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

They are 8 MOA rifles at best with surplus. About 4 MOA with handloads.

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

People that think they are great rifles are idiots.
View Quote
Meh. My DSA SA58 shot 1.5"-2" with good ammo no problem. Got stolen, currently working up another. Excellent gun if things go sideways, reliable and hard hitting. Reasonable weight for performance, too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... The only question is where people will get receiver now. ..... DSA's are supposed to be iffy .....
What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
Machine work was done by LMT. When it went in-house, quality went down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody remember "Ole' Dirty" from the FAL Files?

That shit was impressive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Err, the "non sporting" barrels and receivers were banned from import by a reinterpretation of existing law during Bush II's term...  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Though...screw Bush II
The import ban sure was his doing. Republicans have hurt our rights just as much as the Demonrats.

I'm slacking over here: only five FAL's in my safe.

Ol' Dirty's still going. It's owner just hasn't had time to regularly update the round count, which is admittedly less with the cost of 7.62 NATO these days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The import ban sure was his doing. Republicans have hurt our rights just as much as the Demonrats.

Ol' Dirty's still going. It's owner just hasn't had time to regularly update the round count, which is admittedly less with the cost of 7.62 NATO these days.
View Quote
The import ban was Bush Senior, not Bush II.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Err, the "non sporting" barrels and receivers were banned from import by a reinterpretation of existing law during Bush II's term...  
View Quote
thats true, but it didn't make kits anywhere near "nearly worthless"
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anybody remember "Ole' Dirty" from the FAL Files?

That shit was impressive.
View Quote
Sure do. Was some impressive posts.

I have always cleaned mine, nice to know it will work without cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The barrels turning into non sporting parts and having to be chopped happened under his watch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got one, mine is so old it has the Aussie wood furniture and the barrel was neutered because of the AWB.  Been meaning to have it threaded and just never got around to it.  I don't think I've shot it in a decade.  

Oh, and I bought a half dozen of the SA battle packs at the same time.  I think they were $28 each. 
View Quote
I have a Steyr kit on a DSArms receiver that I built when I worked for Tapco.  I also built my brother a kit.  I had mine reparked. Love the gun and will never sell it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Heavy rifles with shitty ergos built for people with gorilla arms. 

I had a IMBEL and sold it. Never looked back. 
View Quote
I am damn near a midget and don't have issue with the handling.  

That bipod is nice, though
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FALs are great

I shoot mine quite a bit

http://i.imgur.com/6nTUnZih.jpg
View Quote
Yeah yeah, but you seem to have more money than God for this sort of thing....or at least his line of credit..

I would too, just have fuck all for places to shoot .308
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No he didn't.
View Quote
Yes he did.  Any barrel ever mounted on a machine gun was no longer importable.  FALs are select fire guns...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
What was the price of kit with matching head spaced barrel?  What was the price of a kit without said barrel?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The wolf would have to be at the door beating hard before I part with this one.

It's just a CAI (all inch, no uni-brow) and it just flat works. Easy 1.50-75" MOA rifle w/SA fodder even with my old eyes. I have two .50 cal cans full of 20 round inch mags and even a couple of 30s.....Damn those things are heavy when you load them out.

I also have a DSA Stg-58 and I'd part with it first.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

View Quote
I had one, and my experience was similar: 4+ MOA shooter, and you couldn't do anything with the trigger. The standard mil guns weren't easy to scope. I kept some of the mags for my RRA LAR-8.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes he did.  Any barrel ever mounted on a machine gun was no longer importable.  FALs are select fire guns...
View Quote
The ATF and the president are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I love my Israeli heavy barrel. There are guns and kits you just have to look. And yeah, no one is making a decent receiver currently.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love my Israeli heavy barrel. There are guns and kits you just have to look. And yeah, no one is making a decent receiver currently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333717/IMG-0785-190094.jpg
View Quote
Noice.  Mine is the Israeli standard barrel version on an imported Israeli receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333717/IMG-0785-190094.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful

I had one built on a Century receiver but sold it 6 years ago to buy 2 more suppressors, I love the cans but should've kept that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

View Quote
Maybe the ones put together by non gunsmiths. Refer to the filing of the locking shoulder to achieve headspace in this thread. As opposed to surface grinding mine to a precision angle that matches the precision angle ground on the bolt, with the bolt face cleaned up to 90* with the bore. I can assure you they are capable of far better than what you say. I've done it multiple times.

I'm sure they are a piece of shit which is why they've been used by over 90 countries.

They're popular because they're reliable, ergonomic, accurate enough, durable, and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The ATF and the president are not the same thing.
View Quote
He was their boss, he is ultimately responsible for their actions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I Still have 2

If this is your experience, then you are either a terrible shooter or have a really bad parts gun.

In an word, no.  Real FN made FALs are about the same price as real HK made guns, and are more expensive than M1As.

Then I guess all of the 93 countries who adopted it as a standard rifle, as well as those who still use it today are idiots.  
I am sure that you know way more than they do.  

Bottom line is, unless you own a SAR 48, and FN made gun or one of the early imported Lithgow or Israeli imports, you do not have a "real"
FAL.  You have a FAL that was built from a parts kit by who knows who, who may or may not have a clue as to what they are doing.  

Some of these are good rifles, and some are not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The president is not the boss of the ATF, FBI, DEA, or any of that shit.  If you are upset about it, blame everyone involved in the 68 GCA.  They are just using a correct interpretation of that turd, whereas they were ignoring that part of it before.

Also, a barrel is not "head spaced" in a FAL.  Any time you put any barrel on a receiver you have to check the head space and install the correct sized locking shoulder.  This included builds using all matching kits because the receiver is not the same one the rifle was originally built with, that one got torch cut.  You need to check it and potentially change it even with a bolt swap.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What was the price of kit with matching head spaced barrel?  What was the price of a kit without said barrel?
View Quote
since there is no such thing in existence ever, that's a difficult call
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe the ones put together by non gunsmiths. Refer to the filing of the locking shoulder to achieve headspace in this thread. As opposed to surface grinding mine to a precision angle that matches the precision angle ground on the bolt, with the bolt face cleaned up to 90* with the bore. I can assure you they are capable of far better than what you say. I've done it multiple times.

I'm sure they are a piece of shit which is why they've been used by over 90 countries.

They're popular because they're reliable, ergonomic, accurate enough, durable, and fun to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I Still have 2

Exactly. I still have two which I'll keep. They shoot very well but then again a file (dremel, etc) wasn't ever used in any of my builds.

Yup, 90 countries adopted the FAL and we took the M14. They must be terrible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The president is not the boss of the ATF, FBI, DEA, or any of that shit.  If you are upset about it, blame everyone involved in the 68 GCA.  They are just using a correct interpretation of that turd, whereas they were ignoring that part of it before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hell if he isn't their boss!  The President appoints them, and Congress votes on whether to approve them.  He also has the power to fire them, without the approval of Congress.  If they aren't guiding the agency in a manner that he approves of, they are gone.  If that's not a boss, what is?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If this is your experience, then you are either a terrible shooter or have a really bad parts gun.

In an word, no.  Real FN made FALs are about the same price as real HK made guns, and are more expensive than M1As.

Then I guess all of the 93 countries who adopted it as a standard rifle, as well as those who still use it today are idiots.  

Bottom line is, unless you own a SAR 48, and FN made gun or one of the early imported Lithgow or Israeli imports, you do not have a "real"
FAL.  You have a FAL that was built from a parts kit by who knows who, who may or may not have a clue as to what they are doing.  

View Quote
This rifle was brought into the shop because it was "Not quite right when we shot it". (yes. That's light coming through the hole where the locking shoulder is supposed to be. )

Just because you have some tools doesn't mean you're a gunsmith.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This rifle was brought into the shop because it was "Not quite right when we shot it". (yes. That's light coming through the hole where the locking shoulder is supposed to be. )

Just because you have some tools doesn't mean you're a gunsmith.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/IMG_20150824_132303272-284421.JPG
View Quote
Wow.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullshit, not even close.  Take a look at the votes on the 1994 AWB, and every piece of gun legislation introduced since Sandy Hook.  The votes go nearly 100% on party lines, with Dems in favor, and Repubs opposed.  Bush 1 and Reagan weren't very supportive of 2A rights either, but they didn't do nearly as much damage as Dems did.  And things have changed since then, in regards to the image of semi-autos.  They are mainstream and used by hunters now, so Reagan and Bush would probably be more supportive of semi-autos today.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"the right arm of the free world" wasn't a good rifle?  I believe that at one point they were issued to more armies in the world than anything else.  What makes them so bad?

I think they are a great rifle, especially compared to the other rifles around when it came out (50's, iirc).  Today the ar-10 type rifles make much more sense, but that doesn't make the FAL any less effective than it's ever been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  And they are not a good rifle.  It's amazing that so many were made.  Unless you can find one for dirt cheap, stay away.
"the right arm of the free world" wasn't a good rifle?  I believe that at one point they were issued to more armies in the world than anything else.  What makes them so bad?

I think they are a great rifle, especially compared to the other rifles around when it came out (50's, iirc).  Today the ar-10 type rifles make much more sense, but that doesn't make the FAL any less effective than it's ever been.
It might have been OK back in it's day, but by today's standards, it sucks.  Poor accuracy, terrible trigger, reliability issues, heavy, poor ergos, etc.  There is no reason to own one today, other than as a collector's item.  The AR10 outperforms it in every way.  I do like the adjustable gas block, which should be standard on every AR, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have two left. Sold the rest. A few were built on Coonan's and I never had any trouble with them. Maybe I got lucky.
View Quote
Mine is a Steyr built on a Coonan. There's a blem on the mag well but have never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Name me a country that still issues the FAL?

As for the second part, it's the same tripe we hear from the AK crowd about how American made AKs (even when every part but the receiver is foreign) is not a real AK. It's a bullshit excuse to cover for the shortcomings of the weapon.

The FAL was a great weapon for when it was developed. It is obsolescent in the face of modern 7.62x51 weapon systems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
DSA has a sale going on now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As for the second part, it's the same tripe we hear from the AK crowd about how American made AKs (even when every part but the receiver is foreign) is not a real AK. It's a bullshit excuse to cover for the shortcomings of the weapon.

The FAL was a great weapon for when it was developed. It is obsolescent in the face of modern 7.62x51 weapon systems.
View Quote
not as good as in some ways =/= obsolete

It'll do the job just fine.

If I need to put holes into another person really quick, there's not a spits worth of difference between these two rifles (except for the optics). Or between the pistols, for that matter.

Attachment Attached File

The feeling of needing the latest and greatest to be able to take care of a job doesn't make it true.

Also, don't get hung up on what  a military needs. That has nothing to do with what will serve an individual citizen well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K
Obsolete and Obsolescent have two separate but related meanings.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As I recall some European countries still have them in their inventory as reserve or LE weapons.  I did not say that they were
an issued weapon for front line troops.  You assumed that.  I said they were in use.  I did not specify what that use was.  The
FN was and still is a sound weapon design, and works just as well today as it did in the 1950s up until the 1980s.  I could care less
if they are still in use by a military or not.  The rifles still perform just fine.        

No.  Unless the rifle was built and assembled by FN or a licensed FN factory it is not a FAL, but rather a parts gun.  It may still work, but this is
true nonetheless.  It is not the fault of the weapons system if it is built improperly by someone who has no clue what they are doing, with out of
spec or worn out parts.  The same is true with the US made AKs which you describe.  Not to mention the old Norinco M1As that were around for
a while that no one likes to talk about.  A good design with shitty execution which resulted in a piss poor end product.  

The FN may be an old design, and you may feel that it is obsolete by today's standards.  I do admit that it is not as "refined" as some more modern
designs, however it still works just as well today as it did then, (if it is a quality rifle to begin with), and will most likely continue to do so well into
the future.  It may not be a match rifle, but the accuracy one can acheive from one will surprise most, and if I am going into harm's way, I would
not feel undergunned with one if it were all I had or was given.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not for me..... 

AR is best rifle. 
Give me M1 Garands and FN49s then please.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top