Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2017 6:03:18 PM EDT
UPDATE 8/22: Car went into the bodyshop today

UPDATE 8/31:  Apparently all Ford Focus doors aren't the same...
---------------

This was a great way to start my day.  This was waiting for me when I walked outside at 630am to go to work.  Talk about a freak accident.  Pretty pissed that my brand new car (2017 Focus RS with 1300ish miles on it) got hit like this.  I'm expecting a battle with the insurance company when I ask for a diminished value claim.  The other guy and me both have Geico, so I'm expecting it will get interesting since it will be coming from Geicos pocket and not some other company.

All in all I am pissed about what happened, but glad it was just the doors and not one of the RS specific parts that are backordered for months and months.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang. That's not going to buff out
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks big time :(
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a big bummer.  Please keep us posted on how things go with Geico.  Consider it a PSA if you're so inclined.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a big bummer.  Please keep us posted on how things go with Geico.  Consider it a PSA if you're so inclined.
View Quote
Will do.  Been a loyal customer of theirs for almost 20 years and have nothing but good to say about them.  9 years on my current policy.  But if they jerk me around on the diminished value I'm done with them  The appointment to start repairs was made within an hour of the accident (at a shop I've used before and did solid work).  So far so good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ref Dim Value:

You will most likely need the car appraised, google around for it and get that ball rolling. Yes you will need to pay for that out of pocket.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Call a TV repairman. They have lots of tools, so fixing that should be not problemo, bro
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't the lower side skirt an RS specific part?

Also: Dat B pillar doesn't look too happy.

Sucks man, sorry. Did the driver of the other car try to take off?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully he was ticketed. My former insurance company tried to weasel out of something very similar to your situation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuuuuuuuccccckkkk!

I saw the thread title and the OP and thought “oh god, not the RS!” And I clicked on the thread hoping it was a different car. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be pissed if that was my car
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Will do.  Been a loyal customer of theirs for almost 20 years and have nothing but good to say about them.  9 years on my current policy.  But if they jerk me around on the diminished value I'm done with them  The appointment to start repairs was made within an hour of the accident (at a shop I've used before and did solid work).  So far so good.
View Quote
Get ready they will fuck you over
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice car,
That sucks but it is repairable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Sucks that it happened to your RS.  Someone dropped an exterior door on my week old RSX-S a decade ago and I wasn't very pleased.  Can't imagine how pissed you were over that idiot.  Of course if it is totaled out, I would be happy if you could snag your RS airbox lid for my ST.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
So what's in the box under the cover  

Sorry for loss...at least it was only a ford

J/k...kind of
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't the lower side skirt an RS specific part?

Also: Dat B pillar doesn't look too happy.

Sucks man, sorry. Did the driver of the other car try to take off?
View Quote
Nah, the side skirt is the same as on the ST.  It looks undamaged, but if it is it should be easy to source a new one.

B pillar has seen better days, but should be a straightforward fix.

I think he tried to run, but no way to know for sure.  It looks like it tried to back out or something then got stuck.  He was having a medical issue so he was pretty out of it (kidney stones, lots of pain, hadnt slept in like 2-3 days,  ER just sent him home with an rx for vicodin).
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hopefully he was ticketed. My former insurance company tried to weasel out of something very similar to your situation.
View Quote
He should have gotten a DUI as far as I am concerned.  He was way the hell impaired and had zero business being on the road.  I'm not sure if he got anything.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuuuuuuuccccckkkk!

I saw the thread title and the OP and thought “oh god, not the RS!” And I clicked on the thread hoping it was a different car. 
View Quote
I have the best luck.  My 06 Focus beater proudly sits by the road... unscathed.  I always figured the RS was safe and the beater may get creamed someday
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
sue him for extra compensation, emotional stress and impotence 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
With 1300 miles I would tell them I want a new car.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Since when does a Ford Fuckus make 350 HP?

That thing must be a blast. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So what's in the box under the cover  

Sorry for loss...at least it was only a ford

J/k...kind of
View Quote
That's my dads Corvette.  I live with the parents while I get my house ready to sell and find a new one.
We're gonna have to rearrange the driveway so the RS is better protected
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's pretty much the go kart from hell that doubles as an actual practical car.  I love it.  Super fun and actually a useful vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Car is totalled
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
You sure the back ordered parts are not damaged?  Because my car got totaled over a back ordered bumper cover.  Lady hit me and her insurance told me they would fix it when the bumper came in, they where trying to give me a 4 piece racing ground effects bullshit.  After a month I call my insurance and they could not locate a number so they totaled it at 11,800$.  I bought it back at 1500$ and I shit you not I found a bumper on craigslist that week. I put a 1/4 in shim where the bumper bracket was pushed in and put the cover on.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 lube up good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not just 350HP but also torque vectoring AWD. The car is basically magic. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have the best luck.  My 06 Focus beater proudly sits by the road... unscathed.  I always figured the RS was safe and the beater may get creamed someday
View Quote
Do you tell people you have two Focuses or two Foci?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Mother T. Fucker.

that blows.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#29]
What A day. hopefully the insurance company will.do you right. Im glad you werent in it when he hit you.

So how does the dimished value claim work?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Couple Mexicans and some bondo, spray paint, have it looking like new
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Noooooo!  

Sorry to hear about the RS. I really want to drive one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Your car is FAR from a total.  Just make sure they get you NEW OEM doors and hinges. The outer cap on the B pillar has to come off. The inner reinforcement is likely pushed in just a few mm. The doors will be test fit using a small piece of the old skin for a spacer before the new outer is welded on. The door aperture (the outer post skin) needs to be new OEM also. No junkyard crap. Insist on new parts. Tell them new parts or your going to a lawyer. The other guys insurance is fixing your car, not your insurance. 

Take a picture of your estimate and post it here so some of us can see it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What A day. hopefully the insurance company will.do you right. Im glad you werent in it when he hit you.

So how does the dimished value claim work?
View Quote
Dunno.  I asked the Geico claims person on the phone about it, but she said it was a question that the adjuster would be better suited to answer.  Did some googling and found stuff from 2009 where people said Geico refuses diminished value claims because they don't report anything to carfax..lol  That might be plausible.  I sold another car to carmax earlier this year that had been damaged and repaired thru Geico.  Carmax said nothing about it and gave me a fair price for the car.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#36]
lol that's awesome
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your car is FAR from a total.  Just make sure they get you NEW OEM doors and hinges. The outer cap on the B pillar has to come off. The inner reinforcement is likely pushed in just a few mm. The doors will be test fit using a small piece of the old skin for a spacer before the new outer is welded on. The door aperture (the outer post skin) needs to be new OEM also. No junkyard crap. Insist on new parts. Tell them new parts or your going to a lawyer. The other guys insurance is fixing your car, not your insurance. 

Take a picture of your estimate and post it here so some of us can see it.
View Quote
Yeah I think this is a pretty straightforward fix for any body shop worth a shit.  My only real concern is how well they will match the paint.  It's a quad coat color that is super metallic.  So I'm afraid it's going to come out looking fucked up in some lighting conditions.  At least the car is basically new so the paint isn't faded or anything.  I figure that may make it easier to match.

I'll post the estimate when I have it.  Should get it on the 22nd when I drop the car off at the shop.  I plan to demand new parts.  It's basically a new car so I have zero tolerance for some junkyard shit from a 2012 Focus SE going on the car.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you tell people you have two Focuses or two Foci?
View Quote
I just tell people that I am a collector of fine automobiles
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#39]
B pillar bent says total loss to me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You sure the back ordered parts are not damaged?  Because my car got totaled over a back ordered bumper cover.  Lady hit me and her insurance told me they would fix it when the bumper came in, they where trying to give me a 4 piece racing ground effects bullshit.  After a month I call my insurance and they could not locate a number so they totaled it at 11,800$.  I bought it back at 1500$ and I shit you not I found a bumper on craigslist that week. I put a 1/4 in shim where the bumper bracket was pushed in and put the cover on.   http://i.imgur.com/XXN3XLK.jpg
View Quote
lol nice.  The back ordered parts are the front and rear bumpers.  They look like they are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
lol nice.  The back ordered parts are the front and rear bumpers.  They look like they are good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You sure the back ordered parts are not damaged?  Because my car got totaled over a back ordered bumper cover.  Lady hit me and her insurance told me they would fix it when the bumper came in, they where trying to give me a 4 piece racing ground effects bullshit.  After a month I call my insurance and they could not locate a number so they totaled it at 11,800$.  I bought it back at 1500$ and I shit you not I found a bumper on craigslist that week. I put a 1/4 in shim where the bumper bracket was pushed in and put the cover on.   http://i.imgur.com/XXN3XLK.jpg
Are you sure?  maybe you should look again
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]
About 6 years ago I was stopped at the stop light right in front of the Washington Monument. One car plowed into the rental car I was driving and the second car plowed into the first car then the first car hit my car a second time.  Both cars were insured by GIECO. The odd part is the folks representing GIECO sued each other. I had to give depositions to each GIECO adjuster and each lawyer representing each party.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#43]
nice car.  sucks ass it got hit.  i have a stealth gray RS.  ordered my ETS intercooler, turbosmart wastegate, cobb rmm, accessport, 91 and e30 tune yesterday.  Mine lives in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice car.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Geico?  Bunch of fucks.

Their insured, hit & run.  Our vehicle stopped at a stoplight:

Jerked us around for 6 weeks, talking about fixing it - car was 3 weeks old, had 562 miles on it.   Total cocksuckers.  Tried to weasel out of the rental car after a week.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
B pillar bent says total loss to me.
View Quote
Nope, we replace them complete all the time. They're one of the easiest structural parts to change.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Geico?  Bunch of fucks.

http://i.imgur.com/0mJhQjr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3252h4H.jpg

Jerked us around for 6 weeks, talking about fixing it - car was 3 weeks old, had 562 miles on it.   Total cocksuckers.  Tried to weasel out of the rental car after a week.

View Quote
Yeah, I've been doing body repair for over 30 years. I don't have Geico on any of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Ugh, that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Geico?  Bunch of fucks.

http://i.imgur.com/0mJhQjr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3252h4H.jpg

View Quote
That sucks!

No such issue here. My 4 week old car (1K miles) was backed in to. Crushed the front bumper cover. Geico called me immediately after he put in the claim. Scheduled the adjuster at the shop I requested, emailed me all the documents and such. The car is at the repair shop now, rental car is in the driveway. They are handling it very efficiently and with no questions asked at all. He even said, don't worry about the rental car return date, don't turn in the rental until the job is done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, the car went into the body shop today.  Estimate for the repair is about $5500.  Basically two new doors and they are gonna try straightening the B pillar before they resort to cutting and replacing.  The shop seems well equipped for the job, so I'm not concerned about it.  Then a whole lot of "remove and inspect" for a lot of parts.  

The adjuster said I could get a diminished value claim, so I am happy about that.  I wouldn't really care on an older car... but on a basically brand new car I am pretty concerned about a loss in the cars value.

Hopefully I will get the car back late next week.

So far things look good.  My only real concern is the paint getting matched properly.  It's a really unique color that really pops in the sun.  So if they don't do it right it will be obvious... and they will do it again until they get it right  I made sure they understood my concerns about the paint.  We'll see how it turns out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top