Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wondering how this round would do out of a 7" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
... Nice, thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff !  Thanks.

Shoot a car door if you get the chance.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I think my neighbor would be pissed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think my neighbor would be pissed.
View Quote
Well, how about the other neighbor?
One of them HAS to be an asshole,and you do have a can, so?

No,was thinking of a junk car door.

I enjoy your vids.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
6.5mm Grendel 123 grain SST penetrates 21 inches.....that's too much for personal protection..gasp!!

.223 55 grain GMX penetrates 21 inches...it's good to go an barrier blind!!

Which is it....???
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
6.5mm Grendel 123 grain SST penetrates 21 inches.....that's too much for personal protection..gasp!!

Which is it....???
View Quote
Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm trying to figure out why this is Stickied
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out why this is Stickied
View Quote
It's a new and very useful offering from Arfcom
where they are posting BlueFalcon's videos. I knew
it was only a matter of time before he got scooped up

He does great work

But I am poking him for his comments on penetration

I think this is a great tool for members
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wondering how this round would do out of a 7" barrel?
View Quote
The Superformance stuff produces a unique pressure curve. Hornady recommends a rifle length gas system for it. I think it would over-gas the heck out of a pistol.

Thanks for the test and video. I found 200 rounds of this load back during the panic stuck it on the shelf. I need to give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this Hornady's version of Barnes VOR-TX Black Tip?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Fantastic. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this Hornady's version of Barnes VOR-TX Black Tip?
View Quote
Same ???
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which is it....???
View Quote
I thought I mentioned that this was also over the limit. Did I edit that out?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a new and very useful offering from Arfcom
where they are posting BlueFalcon's videos. I knew
it was only a matter of time before he got scooped up

He does great work

I think this is a great tool for members
View Quote
He definitely has great tests and video documentation. The post doesn't seem to explain that arfcom YouTube is now hosting his videos. It was posted and Stickied by staff. But it just wasn't clear. Once I went to the actual YouTube link I figured it out. But, it certainly wasn't obvious.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to see a barrier blind test
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would like to see a barrier blind test
View Quote
Using a 7" or 8" barrel. lol
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Superformance?

No thanks

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool! Thanks Blue.

Newbie question:  You seemed to be critical of the pedal loss but does weight retention really matter at 15"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which is it....???
View Quote
Kinda like that temporary/permanent stretch cavity
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool! Thanks Blue.

Newbie question:  You seemed to be critical of the pedal loss but does weight retention really matter at 15"?
View Quote
Yes, you don't just loose weight but diameter and energy.  Its not supposed to fragment or loose petals, it just being push too fast for a close target.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Superformance?

No thanks

http://i.imgur.com/u4hEK8rh.jpg
View Quote
I shot some superformance the other day and seized my rifle up with a blown out primer.  Accuracy was all over the place too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I shot some superformance the other day and seized my rifle up with a blown out primer.  Accuracy was all over the place too.
View Quote
Did worse than that to mine.

Cant comment on accuracy. Gun KBd first round of it

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did worse than that to mine.

Cant comment on accuracy. Gun KBd first round of it

http://i.imgur.com/Dy8I8yz.jpg
View Quote
That sucks, I definitely feel lucky.  It's a billet Wilson Combat receiver and hand guard set with a 20" Larue barrel and Wilson Combat Whisper 556.  Did it get your KAC or barrel?  Is that a KAC handguard?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That sucks, I definitely feel lucky.  It's a billet Wilson Combat receiver and hand guard set with a 20" Larue barrel.  Did it get your KAC or barrel?  Is that a KAC handguard?
View Quote
Apparently the load is fine for rifle length NON SUPPRESSED guns

Apparently a SBR and a suppressor is a NO GO on superformance loads.

Blew the magazine up, destroyed the bolt. Bent the dust cover. Upper looked okay but I replaced the whole thing. My lower is swelled from the incident, but still functions, luckily as its NFA.

Handguard is Larue
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Blew the magazine up, destroyed the bolt. Bent the dust cover. Upper looked okay but I replaced the whole thing. My lower is swelled from the incident, but still functions, luckily as its NFA.

Handguard is Larue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks, I definitely feel lucky.  It's a billet Wilson Combat receiver and hand guard set with a 20" Larue barrel.  Did it get your KAC or barrel?  Is that a KAC handguard?

Handguard is Larue
Higher pressure spike on the carbine length system?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Higher pressure spike on the carbine length system?
View Quote
It has to do with the powder it uses. It must be a different burn rate than normal that's why youre seeing higher velocity out of the superformance ammo.

My box did not contain a warning, but online it is said not to be used with suppressed guns or guns under x length in barrel or something like that. May have changed. This was several years ago.

But the higher pressure coupled with what Hornady said was soft brass caused mine to KB first round of it. Its the only KB I have ever had.

Casing failed at the ass end as pictured above. Gun was a 12" suppressed build
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It has to do with the powder it uses. It must be a different burn rate than normal that's why youre seeing higher velocity out of the superformance ammo.

My box did not contain a warning, but online it is said not to be used with suppressed guns or guns under x length in barrel or something like that. May have changed. This was several years ago.

But the higher pressure coupled with what Hornady said was soft brass caused mine to KB first round of it. Its the only KB I have ever had.

Casing failed at the ass end as pictured above. Gun was a 12" suppressed build
View Quote
Although 20" barreled, mine was suppressed at the time, Wilson Combat Whisper 556.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Although 20" barreled, mine was suppressed at the time, Wilson Combat Whisper 556.
View Quote
Id really hope they fixed the issue. Perhaps I just got a very unlucky batch, but I will not be buying superformance again due to my experiences.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think he does great work and I have been showing his 123 SST Grendel video to my hog/deer hunting customers who are asking about 6.5G for hunting. However, I shut his video off before he gets into taking about over-penetration. I mean, who is thinking a 16" chambered in 6.5 Grendel is gun is going to be the "go to" for home protection? Or am I missing his point?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Double-tap
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Id really hope they fixed the issue. Perhaps I just got a very unlucky batch, but I will not be buying superformance again due to my experiences.
View Quote
Agreed, it happened to me a couple months ago but I think my ammo is 1.5-2 years old. So it may not be an issue anymore, however, I'm hesitant to try it again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
when are they going back down to $55/1000 for 55g?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been shooting a 94-95gr cut-down GMX in 6.5 Grendel.  Guy on Grendel forum makes them from 120gr GMX.

Does 2800fps from an 18" barrel with CFE223 without going anywhere near crazy pressures, no real recoil.

I like the load a lot.

99% weight retention

High impact speed

Lots of retained energy

Lots of tissue damage

Sails through bone like butter of course

Excellent mushrooming without petal shed

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd really like to see Federal's 90gr 6.5 grendel varmint round.  Its lighter and also designed to expanded.  It seems like it would be a great HD round but I can't find any gel tests for it.

Please!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Great video.  Thanks.  I bet that you are right about the over penetration being related to its barrier blind construction.  1 1/5 inch neck and big cavity = big hurt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Expected M.V. from a 20" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice video! I have the Hornady TAP 5.56 55gr GMX in my bed side rifle. That stuff is expensive!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cool! Thanks Blue.

View Quote
In my experience, GMX 55gr and TSX (55gr to 70gr) projectiles more often than not lose their pedals upon barriers, but the Black Hills optimized 50gr TSX is a different animal and rarely loses pedals upon hitting barriers like auto glass or bone.  I've shot a ton of GMX and every TSX variant at hard and soft armor as well as feral hog cadavers to see what actually does what.   Shot a lot of hard and soft armor from Bulletproofme IIIa ballistic facial armor to Spectre C130 gunship floor armor panels. (Only have one of those left, and I cant bring myself to test the last panel.

Back in 2010 Barnes claimed to be releasing an optimized 62gr TSX bullet on par with the Black Hills optimized 50gr TSX, but it never came to be, and instead, Barnes started hawking a 'Water Resistant' 62gr TSX. Which is one of the only TSX variants I haven't tested.

At the end of the day, my 5.56 mags are loaded with Black Hills 50gr TSX or 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (.223 if using LE223T3) , and for feral hog eradication, I primarily use 6.8 85gr TSX or 95gr TTSX or XM68GD, the latter you have to pray it shoots true, as XM68GD isn't the most accurate, but feral hogs are allergic to it.   The 6.8 TSX offerings are a bit better at not losing pedals than it's 5.56 TSX or GMX cousins when encountering hard objects such as bone or barriers.

PS< I appreciate Andrew taking the time to make this GMX test, his video's are a good resource.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top