Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 4:46:16 PM EDT
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but these things have a ton of potential. I don't give two shits about the current state of electric and hybrid cars, but these bikes could be game changing. Lightweight, efficient and the capability of being extremely fast.

Shout out to Seth, he has a great channel and seems like a really cool guy.

What's the deal with E-Mountain Bikes?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, nobody?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They're pretty pricey though.  Plus I would think most cyclists enjoy the effort required to propel a traditional bike.  That being said, if one day I did decide to commute by bike it would definitely be an ebike.  Too many hills to get to my work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a motorized vehicle.  Many recreational land grants are specifically for non-motorized use.  And, as the video says, some douchebags will increase the max assist or rig a throttle and endanger themselves/others.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My best friend recently got one.
He absolutely loves it, and it has rejuvenated his passion for biking.
It still takes effort to peddle, the difference being it matches the torque you are putting in, to a certain level, allowing you to go where you may not have had the ability to pedal to/through before.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Bike shop guy I talked to says some use them as an "I'm tired," power return system.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a motorized vehicle.  Many recreational land grants are specifically for non-motorized use.  And, as the video says, some douchebags will increase the max assist and endanger themselves/others.
View Quote
+1

Should be fined.

-----

Take it to motorcycle trails instead.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw a guy riding one when I was riding a multi use path out in the middle of nowhere.

I jumped on the path at a trailhead, and saw him about 300 yards back.  I'm pretty good about putting distance on people when I see them in my rearview, I guess I'm bragging lol.  This guy kept gaining and after about five miles he was about 100 yards back.  

I stopped at one of my typical waypoints for a rest, and to let him by.  He passed and I noticed he had about 40,000mah of six cell lipo batteries strapped between his frame tubes.  I didn't feel so weak and beaten after I saw that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My best friend recently got one.
He absolutely loves it, and it has rejuvenated his passion for biking.
It still takes effort to peddle, the difference being it matches the torque you are putting in, to a certain level, allowing you to go where you may not have had the ability to pedal to/through before.
View Quote
That's one of the arguments against them, people will go places that exceed their fitness/ability levels and need rescue.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
the concept is awesome.   But I don't want pedal assist, I want a full on electric dirt bike that weighs just a lil more than a mountainbike.    Basically an electric assist, fat tire bike with a auxiliary throttle control would be great.    I'll stay off the groomed bike trails.   I just want an uber light dirt bike that makes no sound.     Figure it'll be a reality in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Wife has an electric bike and I love it so much that I will be getting an electric ATB varient before next summer.

The sweet thing here is that its a formal bike if limited to 25kph thus I can go places the hippies have made impossible to use a dirt bike on .
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm strongly considering looking into getting one for hunting purposes. I'm tired of pushing my bike uphill for miles behind the gate with all my shit. Plus, i could then get a trailer for game removal. I heard recently Costco has one for 1000$ but I haven't gone to look at the specs
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm strongly considering looking into getting one for hunting purposes. I'm tired of pushing my bike uphill for miles behind the gate with all my shit. Plus, i could then get a trailer for game removal. I heard recently Costco has one for 1000$ but I haven't gone to look at the specs
View Quote
this x 1000.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm strongly considering getting an Alta as my next dirt bike. The $15k price tag is the major limiting factor for me right now. But they are awesome machines that are very capable. 

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm strongly considering getting an Alta as my next dirt bike. The $15k price tag is the major limiting factor for me right now. But they are awesome machines that are very capable. 

https://s27.postimg.org/g6yw7i9fn/IMG_3814.jpg
View Quote
The lack of engine noise will be great from a trail access standpoint.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s27.postimg.org/g6yw7i9fn/IMG_3814.jpg
Yup, it also opens the possibilities of having riding facilities in areas where they previously weren't welcome. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I ride mountain bikes on technical trails. I ride motorcycles on highways, dirt roads, and trails. I even commute on a scooter now and then (when I don't feel like horsing a motorcycle around). But I just can't get on board with e-bikes. If others do, the more power to them. But when I'm riding a mountain bike, pedals and cardio are what I'm going for. I don't want an e-bike even for long climbs. I'll pedal or push it up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ride mountain bikes on technical trails. I ride motorcycles on highways, dirt roads, and trails. I even commute on a scooter now and then (when I don't feel like horsing a motorcycle around). But I just can't get on board with e-bikes. If others do, the more power to them. But when I'm riding a mountain bike, pedals and cardio are what I'm going for. I don't want an e-bike even for long climbs. I'll pedal or push it up.
View Quote
I definitely see what you are saying, because I enjoy my mountain bike as well. The workout is half the fun of the ride.
What I like about the E bike, is that you can carry an ultra light vehicle, with pretty good range and speed capability anywhere.
Pedal assist makes up for a lot of the short comings in electric vehicles. Batteries are light enough that you can carry a spare. Most of the components are off the shelf bike stuff.
Pretty soon, you will be able to order a carbon frame, set up for E-power, from China. That will be a hell of a bargain.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
All it takes is one rich douchebag with a jailbroken ebike to cause injuries and liabilities to the park and its riders...
View Quote
I'm interested post-douchebag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but these things have a ton of potential. I don't give two shits about the current state of electric and hybrid cars, but these bikes could be game changing. Lightweight, efficient and the capability of being extremely fast.

Shout out to Seth, he has a great channel and seems like a really cool guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ap_7TPZ_rY
View Quote

They seem pretty cool, but the question always comes back to the battery and where you will get a replacement. These are companies that for the most part won't be around in a few years, where do you get your Special battery made just for your bike?

An electric motorcycle is a slightly more rational buy but still limited in terms of what they can do compared to an IC bike.

I guess my first question is, aside from pissing hippies on the trails off, why would an electric assisted bicycle be considered but a traditional power (gasoline) assisted bicycle would not? You can put a 4 stroke weed eater motor on a bicycle that does 35 and gets over 200mpg, doesn't weigh a lot, and rechaeges in the time it takes to dump a half gallon of gas in it.... For $1000, and it will still be supportable into the future..
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I definitely see what you are saying, because I enjoy my mountain bike as well. The workout is half the fun of the ride.
What I like about the E bike, is that you can carry an ultra light vehicle, with pretty good range and speed capability anywhere.
Pedal assist makes up for a lot of the short comings in electric vehicles. Batteries are light enough that you can carry a spare. Most of the components are off the shelf bike stuff.
Pretty soon, you will be able to order a carbon frame, set up for E-power, from China. That will be a hell of a bargain.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm just an "old" fart who doesn't do well with all of these "new fangled gizmos".

And I'm a career I.T. professional.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1

Should be fined.

-----

Take it to motorcycle trails instead.
View Quote
HEY GUYS!!!! I FOUND THE STATIST!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The other day I saw an adult tricycle electric bike.  It was tootling along about 25 mph. The old guy was on his way back from the grocery store. It looked quite useful to me. You can get a 1,000 watt one for around $800 on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They seem pretty cool, but the question always comes back to the battery and where you will get a replacement. These are companies that for the most part won't be around in a few years, where do you get your Special battery made just for your bike?

An electric motorcycle is a slightly more rational buy but still limited in terms of what they can do compared to an IC bike.

I guess my first question is, aside from pissing hippies on the trails off, why would an electric assisted bicycle be considered but a traditional power (gasoline) assisted bicycle would not? You can put a 4 stroke weed eater motor on a bicycle that does 35 and gets over 200mpg, doesn't weigh a lot, and rechaeges in the time it takes to dump a half gallon of gas in it.... For $1000, and it will still be supportable into the future..
View Quote
Bosch isn't going anywhere and there is something to be said about running silently and only engaging when you need/want it to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All it takes is one rich douchebag with a jailbroken ebike to cause injuries and liabilities to the park and its riders...
Yeah, me too. I hope to buy some of these from the douchebag's widow...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I see these all over Mammoth Lakes, Ca.  Beach cruiser types mostly.  They blast by me (walking) uphill on a mixed use path daily and are easy to spot by perceived effort.  At first I thought they were a little lame but at least these people are getting out and about.  Probably good commuters as you don't have to sweat to get there.  Sweat on the way home if you want.

Like the electric motorcycles I've seen they seem to be designed very well.  I would probably buy an electric MX or DS bike as my next ride.  I'd still keep a gasser until I made any further choice...but they deserve a chance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I see these all over Mammoth Lakes, Ca.  Beach cruiser types mostly.  They blast by me (walking) uphill on a mixed use path daily and are easy to spot by perceived effort.  At first I thought they were a little lame but at least these people are getting out and about. Probably good commuters as you don't have to sweat to get there.  Sweat on the way home if you want.

Like the electric motorcycles I've seen they seem to be designed very well.  I would probably buy an electric MX or DS bike as my next ride.  I'd still keep a gasser until I made any further choice...but they deserve a chance.
View Quote
Hmmm... finally a good reason to own one (for me). I hate riding to work and being sweaty. No showers here. But riding home and getting sweaty is fine by me.

Still... I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have a big fat gay downtube, or a goofy alien pod on it. Can one be made that doesn't look gay?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Just say no OP.
I hate those damn things.

Why the hell do we ride bikes in the first place?
To stay healthy and save money basically.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been looking at some of the kits on eBay in order to help me get going again as some injuries have me in a slow recovery and it's too easy to hurt myself if I strain too hard but hate just walking.
I have to imagine one of those pedal assists models that you can dial up or down to suit your needs would be great for physical therapy.
Pricey though easy to spend $700+ for a 1000 watt front hub kit.

It could come in handy if SHTF pulling a trailer quietly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hmmm... finally a good reason to own one (for me). I hate riding to work and being sweaty. No showers here. But riding home and getting sweaty is fine by me.

Still... I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have a big fat gay downtube, or a goofy alien pod on it. Can one be made that doesn't look gay?
View Quote
I've seen several people using that reasoning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just say no OP.
I hate those damn things.

Why the hell do we ride bikes in the first place?
To stay healthy and save money basically.
View Quote
I ride because it's fun! I definitely don't save any money. New bike day next week!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I always looked down my nose at them, but I recently test ride a turbo levo.  I have to say... That thing was *fun*.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want exercise get a bicycle.  If you want a motorcycle get a motorcycle.

Don't buy an 80 pound bicycle with a motor and pretend you're getting more than some fresh air when your heat rate stays under 100.  If the battery dies that thing is a cast iron bitch to pedal which means everyone is soft pedaling along at a 5 mph pace while the motor moves them along at 15 so they can pretend they accomplished something.

If you're OK with spending over 2K they'll work fine until the battery goes tits up about a year after you buy it (or sooner if you let it discharge unused for a couple months) and those fuckers are expensive.

If you go cheap and buy one with Chinese electronics at least you can get some exercise running out of your house when the charger shorts out and burns your house down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's a motorized vehicle.  Many recreational land grants are specifically for non-motorized use.  And, as the video says, some douchebags will increase the max assist or rig a throttle and endanger themselves/others.
View Quote
This is the big drawback. All the cool places will be off limits to them unless you're lucky. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it'll unfold.

Already a specific ban on my local mtb organization's rules on their trails.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the concept is awesome.   But I don't want pedal assist, I want a full on electric dirt bike that weighs just a lil more than a mountainbike.    Basically an electric assist, fat tire bike with a auxiliary throttle control would be great.    I'll stay off the groomed bike trails.   I just want an uber light dirt bike that makes no sound.     Figure it'll be a reality in a few years.
View Quote
Maybe This is your answer.  A friend has two and they are pretty frikkin awesome!  Mine is gas combustion. His make zero sound but that can be problematic for spectators (that may be in the path) so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Already been happening:
"Christina Turner (hubby owns Turner Bikes) was just involved in a head on collision with an Ebike in CA. Ebikes not allowed on trail she was riding. Not only was rider going too fast for conditions on a blind corner, but was also riding against travel direction. Heal quick. Great gal, amazing rider. Not good for the Ebike movement."
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't mind a Zero for commuting, ~50 hp, ~80 lbft, under 300lb, up to 90 mile range...

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#38]
ooops
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind a Zero for commuting, ~50 hp, ~80 lbft, under 300lb, up to 90 mile range...

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/2757061c5eaa8e8083221286337b4e1d/204617959/2017-Zero-FXS.jpg
View Quote
I rode one at a demo when I lived in the Bay Area. Very cool bikes, but still off the mark of a real motorcycle. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I rode one at a demo when I lived in the Bay Area. Very cool bikes, but still off the mark of a real motorcycle. 
View Quote
I ride a supermoto, what do you consider a "real" motorcycle?

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I see these all over Mammoth Lakes, Ca.  Beach cruiser types mostly.  They blast by me (walking) uphill on a mixed use path daily and are easy to spot by perceived effort.  At first I thought they were a little lame but at least these people are getting out and about.  Probably good commuters as you don't have to sweat to get there.  Sweat on the way home if you want.

View Quote
I see all manner of e-bikes, skateboards etc down by the beach.

Kind of surprising to me that California, given their passion for over regulating the shit out of everything, allows this. You would think that a bicycle that is powered by anything other then human power would technically be a motorcycle and have to be plated, insured, driven on the street in compliance with all traffic laws and have a rider with a motorcycle endorsement on their license.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/2757061c5eaa8e8083221286337b4e1d/204617959/2017-Zero-FXS.jpg
View Quote
And weekend alley cat Moto GP racing at abandoned suburban office parks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And weekend alley cat Moto GP racing at abandoned suburban office parks.
View Quote
quietly...
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Lame. Mainly design for fat lazy people. What they don't tell you is the bike is heavy. Good luck peddling it once you run out of juice (especially uphill).

I can't wait to see the crashes, I'll be spectacular.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I could see this as a problem if you can't charge your bike at work, a.k.a. stealing electricity. Plus, you couldn't go out for a weekend ride, It would last all of an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I have heard these ones are good.

FLX
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I could see this as a problem if you can't charge your bike at work, a.k.a. stealing electricity. Plus, you couldn't go out for a weekend ride, It would last all of an hour and a half.
View Quote
I don't think this was intended for people that rip up the mountains all day, I've got a Husky 630 for that.
I also wouldn't plan on taking on the highway for extended trips.

My commute to work is ~10 miles of rural road and 40-55mph highway.
My current (not a pun) problem is that my workshop/garage was built before the house, has it's own meter, and is on the commercial rate from Duke so I'd end up paying more to charge it than if I parked it on the front porch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top