Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2017 12:52:24 AM EDT
Skunked again.  Anyone else having a bad year?

We got a late start this year.  Went out last weekend - I don't catch shit.  My wife catches a few and then almost gets raped by a gaggle of rabble rousers.  Water was murky as can be.  Try again on Sunday and catch nothing but some panfish.  Again the water is extremely murky(4" visibility or less) after some very heavy rains and flooding.

Hit up the Fox River today.  Water was very high with a very strong current.  Don't catch shit again.  Lose one of my brand new lures.  The only fun I had was watching the dog play in the water.

I think someone killed off all the inland lakes in my area and forgot to send me the memo...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife catches a few and then almost gets raped by a gaggle of rabble rousers.  
View Quote

What the hell, you go fishing in WI and your wife almost gets raped by a gaggle of rabble rousers?

Are the rabble rousers stalking people fishing in WI to rape them now?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Wisconsin... 

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What the hell, you go fishing in WI and your wife almost gets raped by a gaggle of rabble rousers?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife catches a few and then almost gets raped by a gaggle of rabble rousers.  

You missed my draw down thread?  Oh man, that's shitty, there was free punch and pie!

I always assume rape until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You missed my draw down thread?  Oh man, that's shitty, there was free punch and pie!

View Quote
Maybe some MS Paint would clear things up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit: link to thread
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Fishing and catching are two entirely different things.

Haven't had much time this year. Two weekends ago I had some younger cousins over and they were looking at my fishing gear. Been just collecting dust and cobwebs. I told them they could have it all. Nothing major -- buncha All-Star rods, Shimano and Penn reels. Their faces lit up.

Now I get to go buy new stuff, that I won't have time to use, to not catch fish like OP.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Took out three channel cats last Sunday in Winnebago. This evening nothing. Bad season so far
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/bmhood27/SP-IRGB.jpg

Literally LoLed.  .    Glad you didn't get rowdy raped
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Took out three channel cats last Sunday in Winnebago. This evening nothing. Bad season so far
View Quote
Tried bouncing a three-way rig with some turkey liver in the current on the Fox today for channel cats but no dice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP for the MS Paint. I'm thinking the Carp that they're searching for may be the key.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
The last time I went fishing, I took my boy to the local public pond a couple blocks from the house.   He caught 3 little sun fish.  One was so small it couldn't  drag down the bobber.   I got skunked.   He talked a lot of shit for a 6 year-old.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
chicken livers are working great for catfish in wi.. nightcrawlers for gsme fish..
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I am probably wrong, but I was under the impression that you are deaf. If so, do you think that affected the situation any?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am probably wrong, but I was under the impression that you are deaf. If so, do you think that affected the situation any?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Out of deaf, dumb, and blind I'm one of the three.  I could hear the guys phone ringing when one of his boys called him and I saw the light of his cell phone fade off into the distance as he walked away so that kind of narrows it down.

Aside from a little tinnitus my hearing is great, you must be confusing me with another member.

edit:  Though I believe it would have.  1)  When they fanned out it was a big red flag but the monster red flag was the other half of the group on the other side of the bridge.  I was checking the bridge out from time to time as they approached from a distance for a possible exit but I believe I actually heard a noise which caused me to look the time I spotted one of the dudes over there.

2)  When he turned and said to the rest of the guys that they should leave there was a bit of a pause.  He stepped back, turned to them, said it, then they just sort of stood there for a few moments before turning and walking away.  Knowing what he said told me to just stay put and watch.  Had I not known what was said I probably would have reacted the same way but out of a lack of information, but potentially could have tried to reinforce my opinion that they best move on instead of waiting it out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#16]
What round for carp?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
OP doesn't know fishing. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Towely, if you don't catch fish, you can always watch Bill Dance.

Bill Dance Bloopers Volume 1
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]
went for fluke and snapper blues yesterday,   all I caught was a dogfish.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#20]
When your target fish species won't cooperate, target another fish.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
theres only two things you need to do to catch fish.

1. Use bait that either looks like what they eat or IS what they normally eat.

2. Your bait needs to behave naturally.  Fish dont bite shit that doesnt behave like food.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Fish bite at certain times which isn't always when you are able to fish. I pretty much suck at it too. 

The best time to fish is right before I get there or right after I leave.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fish bite at certain times which isn't always when you are able to fish. I pretty much suck at it too. 

The best time to fish is right before I get there or right after I leave.
View Quote
You should have been here yesterday, fish were jumping in the boat...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should have been here yesterday, fish were jumping in the boat...
View Quote
Why,  you guys have those jumping carp there too?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Year started out pretty good, but once it decided to rain every other day , it's been pretty tough here.

I'll catch 3 , 4 sometimes 6 ,  but I haven't had a good day on the lakes in awhile .

I'm strictly a bass guy . I should've went catfishin last night but was too damn tired to leave the house at 11.

But we're 14 inches above normal for rain so that's not helping . I can't help with river fishin , I know Jack about that !
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#26]
So you go fishing , get skunked , and watch the wife catch stuff?

Do more stuff the way the wife does it (type of gear , bait and location) and less stuff the way you are using that isn't working.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#28]
This is actually the best year I've ever had.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
theres only two things you need to do to catch fish.

1. Use bait that either looks like what they eat or IS what they normally eat.

2. Your bait needs to behave naturally.  Fish dont bite shit that doesnt behave like food.
View Quote

How does Power Bait fit into your equation, because it works?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Fishing's been great!

My fish, not me (Marvin's better looking).
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_h-2kot6s
View Quote
That was really funny.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Years ago when I first moved to Florida I couldn't get the local bass to touch my rubber worms that had always worked great for me in other locations.  A friend gave me the answer.  All it took was switching from rubber worms to rubber salamander shaped bait that they normally eat.  Same line, same hook, pretty much the same retrieval technique, just different shape and the fish started biting like crazy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Here in central pa, my son and I have been tearing up bass and trout with a fake small worm "power bait brand" cut to 2" and about 10" below a small cork and a small weight above the cork. It gives you enough weight to cast and make the worm kick some when you bump it. We caught 11 small mouth bass in about 90min but only 4 were legal to keep. "This was within 15' of the bank FYI"

My son switched to a small rubber grasshopper with same setup and a bigger hook, he landed a nice trout within 2 minutes. It may have been luck since we had to leave right after.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had a great year this year, making money in my club tournaments. Just don't have the time. Working out of town so much I missed yesterday's tournament to spend time with my family.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Complaining about the bite? You need to pack more beer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I did pretty good against bass up in the boundary waters using a wacky-rigged 5" rubber thing, pumpkin color.  Either a Yum Dinger or a Zoom Centipede.  Let it sink with a little slack, and when you take in the slack, you do it slowly to feel if there's something on the end.  You usually have to give them a little time to munch on it.

The fish on the next lake over would answer to nothing but either a popper on the fly rod or a leech on a jig.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Everyone is good at something, and everyone has those few things they simply can not do.

Fishing is one of those things that no matter how hard I try, I just can't do.

I can go with my dad, uncle and cousins and everyone will have a great day, and I'll catch two minnows and an old can. I can be sitting right next to my dad ice fishing while he fills a 5 gallon bucket and all I pull up is stolen bait.

I don't really mind, because I can do most other things I try, but I have never been a good fisherman.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So you go fishing , get skunked , and watch the wife catch stuff?

Do more stuff the way the wife does it (type of gear , bait and location) and less stuff the way you are using that isn't working.
View Quote
Doesn't work. Dad has called me during trout season before and said "Lets go, its a great day for them"

He can set up my rig and show me right where to cast and how to move the lure, and nothing will happen. He can take the same rig and do basically the same thing he just helped me with and nail one on the second cast.

I just lack the touch for it or something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#41]
If you are getting skunked try this:

Go to the bank and find an overhanging tree, bush, whatever.

Shake the hell out of an overhanging branch.

See what insect life flies off, with special attention to see what falls in the water.

Match a lure or bait to something that fell in the water.  Don't make it complicated.  Brown, tan, white, blobby, wiggly, winged, etc.  

An impression is good enough.  

Fish close to the branches.  Fish will rise to eat free bugs.  Even if you catch little ones catching something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I suck at it too. Rented a jon boat and took my sons out yesterday fishing for bass. We didn't catch shit, but it was fun to be out on the water with them. It probably didn't help that yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Bad year? Does not compute. FL ftw.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Gill nets ftw.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_h-2kot6s
View Quote
Nothing quite like walking into the ball mount on a trailer hitch.  Damn that hurts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Are you fueling up on your way there? Insect repellent or sunblock?

I find my success is greatly hampered by those.  They are unavoidable items but need to be applied smartly
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/bmhood27/SP-IRGB.jpg

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Me too just bought a boat,been out twice didn't catch shit either time probably because I don't know shit about fishing I have been watching YouTube trying to learn.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here in central pa, my son and I have been tearing up bass and trout with a fake small worm "power bait brand" cut to 2" and about 10" below a small cork and a small weight above the cork. It gives you enough weight to cast and make the worm kick some when you bump it. We caught 11 small mouth bass in about 90min but only 4 were legal to keep. "This was within 15' of the bank FYI"

My son switched to a small rubber grasshopper with same setup and a bigger hook, he landed a nice trout within 2 minutes. It may have been luck since we had to leave right after.
View Quote
Spring Creek?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Spring Creek?
View Quote
Gretna Glen, we also hit bull frog pond in Hershey and a local pond near us owned by a friend. Going to try same method up in big Bass lake in a few weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top