Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 10:04:22 PM EDT
For years we have had movies and shows about the day aliens show up on our planet to either fuck us up or gift us with wondrous technology. Usually to fuck us up. One of the networks is having an Alien Week, While not as fun as Shark Week who doesn't love a little Battle:Los Angeles?

Where was I? Sorry, getting a little sweaty under the tin foil beret...

Ah, what would be a more perfect time for the aliens to show up at our doorstep than during the eclipse? Millions and millions of people will be watching the event (they are anticipating 1-2 million visitors in Oregon alone) and more on TV. if I wanted to introduce the Earthlings to our new overlords what a great opportunity. Of course the ensuing mayhem would be epic.

On the other hand this has to be one hell of a marketing opportunity for savvy companies. On the scale of a Super Bowl or Oylimpics. I hope someone comes up with something clever. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, this house is ready for the first wave. ETA: my town of 75,000 is expecting an extra 250,000-500,000. Humans, that is. Lots from Japan and Australia, I've heard. Space aliens would be above and beyond that count.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The town 10 miles from me is nearest to the longest point of complete eclipse. From what you hear around here they are expecting most of the US population to be here for a day or two  

Eclispeville USA

I am going to watch the whole thing go down from my backyard. The eclipse path (blue line) passes about 1/2 mile from our place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
There are towns around here that won't be able to handle the additional people. Water, sewer and garbage will be overwhelmed. I hope the alien invasion includes a cleanup team.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Every year our little town of 5000 is invaded by something called Country Thunder.
It's the redneck version of Woodstock.

We get at least 50,000 invaders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
war of the worlds news broadcast 2017
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It's nice that more and more people are opening up to the idea.

Quoted:
For years we have had movies and shows about the day aliens show up on our planet to either fuck us up or gift us with wondrous technology. Usually to fuck us up. One of the networks is having an Alien Week, While not as fun as Shark Week who doesn't love a little Battle:Los Angeles?

Ah, what would be a more perfect time for the aliens to show up at our doorstep than during the eclipse? Millions and millions of people will be watching the event (they are anticipating 1-2 million visitors in Oregon alone) and more on TV. if I wanted to introduce the Earthlings to our new overlords what a great opportunity. Of course the ensuing mayhem would be epic.

On the other hand this has to be one hell of a marketing opportunity for savvy companies. On the scale of a Super Bowl or Oylimpics. I hope someone comes up with something clever. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It wouldn't be the first time aliens came to Christian county.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It wouldn't be the first time aliens came to Christian county.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you know that the eclipse goes over the southern edge of Yellowstone?

Just saying
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah, what would be a more perfect time for the aliens to show up at our doorstep than during the eclipse?  
View Quote

Easter, or the day yellowstone blows up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
There's eclipses a couple times a year, every year, somewhere on Earth. This one may be special to the U.S. but it's not a big deal. Why would aliens show up for this one?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.oregon.gov/oem/hazardsprep/Pages/2017-Total-Solar-Eclipse.aspx

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/statistics/

I think the estimates for the coast are low. I can also say with certainty that I-5 will be fooksville.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Well my 10/22 has a full clip and all 5 holes in my .38 revolver are full, so bring on some aliens!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well my 10/22 has a full clip and all 5 holes in my .38 revolver are full, so bring on some aliens!
View Quote
Wheelbarrow?  What brand?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
May your tinfoil always be shiny OP.

I think you might be the king of tinfoil with that post.  You de throne the NASA guy who says Saturn is full of aliens.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stanley, from Tractor Supply.. or is there a preferred brand for dealing with eclipse day aliens?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#17]
All the cops, EMS, hospitals and social workers have been going through extra training here in preperation. The media has been receiving press releases from government agencies instructing people to prepare as they would for a natural disaster: extra food, water, fuel, batteries, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#18]
My family and I will be traveling - we'd considered going to the exact center in KY, but decided too many people would be doing that and looked for other places. At this point it looks like we'll be watching it from in or near Athens, TN. I've been wanting to visit there anyhow and this gives me an excuse.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
"Move along,Nothing to see here in Tn" Your not the only one coming from what the local news outlets are saying!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
May your tinfoil always be shiny OP.

I think you might be the king of tinfoil with that post.  You de throne the NASA guy who says Saturn is full of aliens.
View Quote
Let's see who's laughing when the moon goes dark and the aliens turn on the light at their secret moon base.

Of course it would be epic if the lights spelled out "Fuck you, Arock!"
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
What was that guy's name?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Dont bring any Doves.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I want to go watch it, but I don't really think that is a good idea to endure the traffic with my young kids in tow.  I'll watch it from the local park that sits on a ridge and enjoy whatever % of eclipse I get.

ETA- Yea, I don't think the alien invasion is going to happen.... yet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#25]
i dont think alkens are going to have to worry about marketing and publicly. i have a feeling if they show up every single person on the planet will notice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#26]
i dont think alkens are going to have to worry about marketing and publicly. i have a feeling if they show up every single person on the planet will notice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've got a Chihuahua but it hasn't been debarked
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#28]
the aliens around Ft Campbell they were there back in the late 60's...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got a Chihuahua but it hasn't been debarked
View Quote
Careful, lest you find your screen name changed to Gunkidder.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm about 92% according to the path map, I'll probably just stay put.

I'd have to drive up past the GA/SC line, probably bumper to bumper as I get closer, to get into the 100% zone.
Not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My family and I will be traveling - we'd considered going to the exact center in KY, but decided too many people would be doing that and looked for other places. At this point it looks like we'll be watching it from in or near Athens, TN. I've been wanting to visit there anyhow and this gives me an excuse.
View Quote
I am planning to be near Athens also.

I drove around there one day looking for a good spot.

The Athens Regional Park has a good hill with a view but there might be large crowds.

We may just end up on the side of Hwy 30 on the west side of town where it is fairly open.

I really wanted to go to one of the over looks on the Cherohala Skyway but I'm afraid that it will be too crowded to get a good spot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Of course there was that one time I flew my new jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse. But my horse had just won at Saratoga, so I was in a festive mood.

I think there's a song about me . . .
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are towns around here that won't be able to handle the additional people. Water, sewer and garbage will be overwhelmed. I hope the alien invasion includes a cleanup team.
View Quote
In all honesty, an "alien invasion" might require less clean-up........
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ack Ack.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not worried, I just threw away all my shotguns and got an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do you live in pdx?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#37]
A solar power eclipse happens somewhere on the earth every 18 months.  Why would an alien wait and pick the one that transits a path across the US?   Why would they even give a crap?  If they have the technology to invade they are just going to do it.  An eclipse they have to wait 30 years for and lasts 5 minutes isn't going to give them much of a strategic advantage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Athens Regional Park has a good hill with a view but there might be large crowds.

We may just end up on the side of Hwy 30 on the west side of town where it is fairly open.

I really wanted to go to one of the over looks on the Cherohala Skyway but I'm afraid that it will be too crowded to get a good spot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We should really set up an Arfcommer meetup for the eclipse - especially if there are one or more locals that might be interested in showing us the sights around Athens.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A solar power eclipse happens somewhere on the earth every 18 months.  Why would an alien wait and pick the one that transits a path across the US?   Why would they even give a crap?  If they have the technology to invade they are just going to do it.  An eclipse they have to wait 30 years for and lasts 5 minutes isn't going to give them much of a strategic advantage.
View Quote
Because.... 'Merica!

There hasn't been an eclipse that's traversed the US in a while. There will be unprecedented crowds. If you're going to attack it's best to have the sheep in a line...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Not....going....to....happen.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where do you live in pdx?
View Quote
Tigard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top