Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2017 8:44:48 PM EDT
Dunkirk Thread 87

And they had some damn good previews!  I actually liked these more than the movie.

The Brave on NBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMJI9RFTSU

SEAL Team on CBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKMPAOGIA7I

Alpha (about the original meeting of man and dog)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU7YUQabmSE

The Snowman (creepy serial killer movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF2Ksrxu_QY
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I go to the theatre and all I get are liberal google previews and gay guys in a Christmas phone commercial...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man, I forgot the upcoming preview for the sequel to An Inconvenient Truth!  The groans were audible in the theater and I heard one woman ask who the yammering fucktard was (paraphrasing).
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Alpha looks good, I'll go see that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The Jackie Chan movie looked good too. I think it's called "The Foreigner".
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Interestingly enough the theater I saw Dunkirk in last night did not have the pre-movie commercials running.

It was blank screen up until the coming attractions 5 minutes before showtime, and the previews were for Just Us League, that Tom Cuize drug dealer CIA shitshow and Star Wars The Empire Strikes Out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh man, I forgot the upcoming preview for the sequel to An Inconvenient Truth!  The groans were audible in the theater and I heard one woman ask who the yammering fucktard was (paraphrasing).
View Quote
At the end of that preview, some guy a few rows down stands up and starts applauding.

The guy two seats to my right immediately starts in, very loudly, <cough> BULLSHIT! <cough>

The entire theater broke up in laughter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I was disappointed to not have a preview for 6 Days.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You must have seen a "different" Dunkirk than I did, that was one of the best war movies I've seen since Blackhawk Down.  No Pearl Harbor Ben Affleck love story bullshit, MINIMAL dialog and ALL CONSTANT action just like it would have been.  

AND........... not just ground battles, you had sea battles AND SPITFIRES VS. ME109s!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw it yesterday and still "feel" it today.

Go see this Arfcom, it's worth the $40 or whatever the fuck it costs to see this movie in Stadium seating with 20inch sub woofers
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You must have seen a "different" Dunkirk than I did, that was one of the best war movies I've seen since Blackhawk Down.
View Quote
Meh, I didn't care for it at all. I could rattle off a whole list of complaints, but at the end of day, it just did a really poor job of telling the story of the Dunkirk evacuation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The movie was excellent.

Not sure about the new Star Trek. From the preview.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh, I didn't care for it at all. I could rattle off a whole list of complaints, but at the end of day, it just did a really poor job of telling the story of the Dunkirk evacuation.
View Quote
This. Save your money and see it on HBO in 4 months.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alpha looks good, I'll go see that.
View Quote
I think it would could be good.  I am not to interested in another comic book movie.

Good to see a big cat coming through the door.

Man domesticated the dog.  Cat's domesticated themselves.  Good thing they were small cats.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You must have seen a "different" Dunkirk than I did, that was one of the best war movies I've seen since Blackhawk Down.  No Pearl Harbor Ben Affleck love story bullshit, MINIMAL dialog and ALL CONSTANT action just like it would have been.  

AND........... not just ground battles, you had sea battles AND SPITFIRES VS. ME109s!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw it yesterday and still "feel" it today.

Go see this Arfcom, it's worth the $40 or whatever the fuck it costs to see this movie in Stadium seating with 20inch sub woofers
View Quote
Man, I saw this with the new Dolby movie/sound and I swear the sound and vibrations were so strong I could feel myself getting shifted around in my seat!!!  Is this shit good for the theater foundation?  I wouldn't have been surprised to feel dust and small chunks of plaster falling from the ceiling!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish they would have shown some of the ground fighting and strategy involved in protecting the evacuation.

I would have found it interesting showing the men sacrificing themselves so the others could escape.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got back from seeing it at the IMAX in Dallas on 635.

I think it was brilliantly done.

It is a survival movie wrapped inside a well-known battle.  There are no generals or PMs pontificating.  There are no great battle scenes.  There are German guns but no Germans.  The score is melody-less noise and tones setting the mood.  No great orchestrations.  No lyrics.  There is fear, cold, water, anger, paranoia, and hope.

This is not the Longest Day, a Bridge Too Far or Patton.

There are no heroic stands.  Just people trying to get off the beach and those trying to help them.

The battle is seen from the perspective of an infantry private, a Naval officer on the Dunkirk mole, the tiny crew of a little boat, and a Spitfire pilot.

The war to the infantryman is small.  The cold water was more a threat to him than the Germans who actually aren't seen in the movie until the very end.  

The pilot's battle is entirely in the air.  He see the gravity of the matter, but his immediate concerns are not running out of fuel, not getting shot down, and shooting down attacking airplanes.  No grand view of the war.

The naval officer is trying to load out as many men as possible.  He has no hand in the fleet of little boats that come to the rescue.

The crew of the little boat is just trying to save lives.

I have nearly drowned saved only by my best friend and a pretty girl who was on the whitewater raft with us.  I know what it is like to be underwater and realize that you are essentially powerless.  I have stood on Omaha Beach and felt naked in a cold June drizzling mess.  I have experienced the death of a person person who wasn't supposed to die.

The crowd was respectful and the theater was cold which added to the experience.  When it was over, people left without talking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually saw a trailer when I saw Dunkirk in theaters that was very appropriate:
Darkest Hour Trailer #1 (2017) | Movieclips Trailers

The movie is "The Darkest Hour" and it is about the transition of power from Neville Chamberlain to Winston Churchill and features his speach to the House of Commons following Dunkirk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would an English director depict his own countrymen as gutless drop your guns and run pussies?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would an English director depict his own countrymen as gutless drop your guns and run pussies?
View Quote
What use were Enfields? Against Stukas?

They knew what was coming, and .303 wasn't going to do shit against it.

They could either escape, die, or be captured. That situation, with time to stew over your fate, will drive men to desperation. I don't see any dishonor in that. That's human nature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top