Model- SCW-jr
Skills-  diaper cropping
Hahaha. I knew it.

No more. I got remarried, 2 kids of my own 8, 10 and 3 step kids, 12, 16, 17

I am done with diapers and formula.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't force it, it will happen.

Our 3.5 yo went from total refusal to almost completely trained in just a few months. He now only wears a diaper to bed in case of accidents.

What got the ball rolling was seeing me peeing outside. Then he all of a sudden wanted to pee outside too. The first few times he went all over his pants, whatever. Then he was on to wanting to go on the toilet, and so it began.

We also outfitted our toilets with a seat that has a third flap. He refused to use the trainer seat but he immediately sat himself down on the "big boy seat" without a single fuss
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes-

Damn it
Big girl
Hey, kid
Other girl
Buddy
Little girl
Buddy

But sometimes I get them confused or think one of the neighborhood kids are one of mine.  I can usually tell when I tell someone to take out the trash and the say that they don't live here.  That's when I give them 'the glare' and the trash goes out anyway.

One kid (I think she's mine, she looks like my wife) mentioned that her friends are scared of me.  But I don't know why, I think they are all potty trained.
View Quote
Bill Cosby to his dad: 'I'm Jesus Christ!' - very funny
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Should we be rubbing his nose in it every time or just the brown ones?

This is my seventh kid, but I usually just sort of tune out on the parenting thing, but I decided I'd better get some issues solved today.  Then rune out again tomorrow.
View Quote

Way to go - dad. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Way to go - dad. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my seventh kid, but I usually just sort of tune out on the parenting thing, but I decided I'd better get some issues solved today.  Then rune out again tomorrow.

Way to go - dad. 

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My boy wanted to be like his older cousin. It gave him a goal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You gotta spend like 2 or 3 days doing nothing else but potty training....pain in the ass

Then. It is done.
View Quote
Yeah, immersion..!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Shit.  Both my sons were fully trained by 3.  

A mix of shame and positive reenforcement worked.  

Also regular 1 hour mandatory poty brakes worked.  Can't get off the pot untill there is a product.  

Shame also works very well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

3YO? 7th kid? Utah? Potty training?

I got nothing.

I never made it past three but I did make it past challenging potty training every time.
NEVER use shame. Never do it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

3YO? 7th kid? Utah? Potty training?

I got nothing.

I never made it past three but I did make it past challenging potty training every time.
NEVER use shame. Never do it.
View Quote
Interesting.  Two posts in a row mentioned shame.  Pretty effective eh?

How would you shame a 3 year old anyway?  Make him wear his sisters clothes?  I don't really think he'd care.

Maybe we could invite hosting friends over to point and laugh when his pants are loaded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Not every one is the same.  With number 7 sounds like you should have it down pat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes-

Damn it
Big girl
Hey, kid
Other girl
Buddy
Little girl
Buddy

But sometimes I get them confused or think one of the neighborhood kids are one of mine.  I can usually tell when I tell someone to take out the trash and the say that they don't live here.  That's when I give them 'the glare' and the trash goes out anyway.

One kid (I think she's mine, she looks like my wife) mentioned that her friends are scared of me.  But I don't know why, I think they are all potty trained.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is my seventh kid
View Quote

Helping her wipe her face or lower back off with a towel is whole lot cheaper and easier than raising and paying for another kid. 

Just saying. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Op I toilet trained both of my kids within under a year old! I used the M&M trick.
Show them the candy and give them a couple. Then walk them to bathroom and let them see you put it in medicine cabinet. Say everytime you pee & poop in toilet you get some M&M's!
My kids were sitting on toilet even when they didn't have to go waiting. And when they did we made a big deal and acted so proud of the poop & pee & gave them son M&M. Worked for all our family and friends kids too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Our daughter had a LOT of trouble getting the potty training down.  The turning point was when we stopped using those training diapers and went straight to panties.  For some reason she can not feel when she needs to go when she has the training diapers on.  With panties, she feels it and runs to the potty.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#17]
7th kid 

I thought I was crazy with 4 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife's mom was watching our daughter over a weekend once. Can't remember how old she was. Let my daughter poop her pants made her stay in em for a bit. After that she went to the pot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Helping her wipe her face or lower back off with a towel is whole lot cheaper and easier than raising and paying for another kid. 

Just saying. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is my seventh kid

Just saying. 
I just hope he's actually paying for all of them and not on any kind of government assistance. Beyond that, potty training is different with every kid. Some get it fast, some aren't smart enough to, some just refuse to on principle. I think shame is appropriate when stubbornness is involved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
if he's scared of the toilet, start sitting him on the can and reading books or playing games with him.
if he's just being obstinate you'll just have to keep trying.
gauge how long it takes him to go after eating and just start putting him on the toilet at that time and sit there until he goes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy fuck that's too many kids. Mormon?

My kid is 2.5 and we're making progress.. Goal is to be potty trained by 3.. With that many kids, I'd expect you to be giving me advice
View Quote
That is rude as shit and NOYFB.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Three-year-old .......... 1.

Dad .......... 0
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife's mom was watching our daughter over a weekend once. Can't remember how old she was. Let my daughter poop her pants made her stay in em for a bit. After that she went to the pot.
View Quote
This works better with girls ........... boys don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Poop thread.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Well you can't force them. As much as I wish you could. My 4.5yo just got the hang of pooping in the potty in the last month. We tried bribing, we tried letting him watch the tablet while sitting for a while, praising him, getting upset with/at him. Nothing really worked. He just decided on his own. He does get a small treat when he does. He'll hold it for days before he goes. Then he give us enough to clog the toilet.

Pee, he started to get about 6 months ago. He's pretty reliable now. Still is about 50/50 at night. He won't get up to go, so you really have to cut his fluid intake later in the day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Make the next generation of America great again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
7??  Jesus.
Make the next generation of America great again.
Thank you for your service.  

Seriously though, someone's gotta do it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
We had a discussion about this over lunch, and we agreed that "in our day" it was a rare two-year-old who was still shitting in their pants.

But we are old, so there is that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We had a discussion about this over lunch, and we agreed that "in our day" it was a rare two-year-old who was still shitting in their pants.

But we are old, so there is that.
View Quote
Old enough to be back to shitting you pants again?  

Boys seems to be more resistant to it.  He's a pretty independent person, even for a 3yo, and the one thing in life he has complete control over is where he poops.  

We try not to light up a powerful struggle,  but pretty soon now it's going to be 'he poops in the potty or he gets the hose again'.  That'll show him!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Old enough to be back to shitting you pants again?  
View Quote
Not quite yet, but ..........
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#30]
What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My son is 2. We think we're behind the curve. Guess not. He can identify when he's gotta go, but it's usually too late.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
no hurry.  a quick google search and yup they make diapers to fit up to an 106" waist
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
no hurry.  a quick google search and yup they make diapers to fit up to an 106" waist
View Quote
I shudder to contemplate such a diaper.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I showed my boy how fun peeing on trees is then bam no more pee pants. Problems arose when we took him out in public. I bet half the county have seen his buttcheeks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#35]
This is going to sound awful but I got feed up with my wife babying my son so I started making fun of him for using diapers, in two days he refused to wear them anymore.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I potty trained both my kids in one weekend by staying home all day with them not wearing pants on around the house.  I also drank about a liter of water every 20 minutes to ensure I had to pee every 30 minutes.  I would call them all in to the bathroom and then I'd go, then mom would go, and then they would go.  If he went before us, we'd be all excited and then our turn.  I encouraged them to communicate and pee in the toilet, and then I'd go.   I was very bloated full of water.  It was just one big pee-ful weekend.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Each kid is different but still in diapers at 3yr? Bless you OP, guess my wife and I were lucky. I will add that getting the toilet insert so they can climb up and get comfortable was the trick for us. My son still has times where he doesn't get his tush nice and clean, (even finishing with wet wipes,) so there a pair or two of undies with skid marks every other week. Measure success in inches...

Rewards like Matchbox cars, candy or whatever also works...Never use fear or shame though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#38]
After 4 kids, all eventually potty trained,  my advice is to stop worrying about it.   They will get there with a little positive feedback. When you push they push back and over react  .

My 4 boys all figured it out in due time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
2 of my 3 kids potty trained like 2-3 months before turning 3, the last one like 3 1/2. Most people here will probably say their baby potty trained before a year etc etc..everyone is different dont let it get you down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine turns 2 next week and already tells us when she needs to pee, Pooping is close , but for now she squats and that's our clue that it number 2 time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Son was wearing rain boots with underwear and shorts one day durring pity training

He filled the boots up with pee. After that he never peed him self again.

Number 2 took a bit more work but after going again a few times in underwear that stopped as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#43]
My oldest daughter (now 17) refused to be potty trained as well.  So one day my wife just took away her diapers forcing her to (hopefully) use the toilet.  I still laugh at the site of her stamping her feet throwing a temper tantrum demanding we give her a diaper so she could poop.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#44]
bag full of toys/prizes. he only gets one when he sits on the potty and does his business.
worked well on my 2 year old son.
still working on the deuces
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tell the other 6 to make fun of him.
View Quote
Yes. Pressure from the other sibs would be my choice. If that doesn't work, make him an outdoor child.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My oldest daughter (now 17) refused to be potty trained as well.  So one day my wife just took away her diapers forcing her to (hopefully) use the toilet.  I still laugh at the site of her stamping her feet throwing a temper tantrum demanding we give her a diaper so she could poop.  
View Quote
That's why the no clothes works. It fights their association of needing a diaper to poop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
my son was doing unbelievably well when he hit two. now it's going downhill all of a sudden. he was sleep8ng in underwear for a couple months and now he's back in pull ups every night. it's like he's just pissing his pants to be an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Tell them they are an airplane on a bombing run, and they need to drop their bombs into the water to make a big splash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#49]
My son was 2 when I told him he needed to stop pooping in his pants and going in the toilet instead.
He had one, maybe two accidents after that.
Spotless record after that.

Daughter was a different deal.
She was stubborn, took me a few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My son was just at 3 when he finally decided to stop crapping in a diaper.

The very first time he used the toilet for #2, was the last time he ever needed a diaper.

He went from diapers to "no diapers" in one day.

Trying to force them just doesn't work.  When they're ready, they're ready.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top