Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Any month in which the name contains a vowel is too hot for running.

I ran track and cross country all through middle school, high school, and college. My knees are proper fucked now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was running seriously,  weather wasn't a factor.  -10, ice storms, 110 hear index, severe thunderstorms, nothing mattered.  I just ran.  If it was cold, I wore gloves, if it was hot, I had a little gatorade before hiting the road. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any month in which the name contains a vowel is too hot for running.

I ran track and cross country all through middle school, high school, and college. My knees are proper fucked now.
View Quote
You should have run with proper form
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't run that far on pavement in armor. My knees ache if I do. I've done 10 miles in the woods with no problems

My normal 5 mile run takes me down a few roads. I'll get a wave or a thumbs up once in a while.

My wife even runs in an old small interceptor. Weighs 7 lbs.

My plate carrier is slick with an elastic cummerbund. Allows me to breath. 12lbs iirc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beast mode.

I've been wanting to do at least 3-5 with a slick carrier and plates, but I'm sure it'd garner some funny looks in the burbs.
I can't run that far on pavement in armor. My knees ache if I do. I've done 10 miles in the woods with no problems

My normal 5 mile run takes me down a few roads. I'll get a wave or a thumbs up once in a while.

My plate carrier is slick with an elastic cummerbund. Allows me to breath. 12lbs iirc
Usually all typical 'burban pavement runs here. But, I really do want to see where I'm at with just a PC and plates.
Interceptor? I haven't run around all day in the summer time with an OTV since 04-07ish. I recall it was........miserable. Not unbearable, but miserable.

I always run in long pants, with a Sig P226 or G17, 2 extra mags and a light. If I really gotta' run these days, that's what's going to be on me.
The caveat, is my pants always look like I simultaneously pissed and shat myself running in this heat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a heart rate monitor (since you're supposed to be training to heart rate anyway) and watch/see what the heat does to your HR...it's incredible.

There used to be an old runner's rule of thumb that went something like one minute added to per mile pace for every 10* F above 90* F (IIRC; google it).

And aux cooling: wet hat, water to pour on head and keep it wet, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I skipped a 5mile run this week because it was hot and humid. 95+ 69 dew point. Could I have done it? Yes. Did it matter that I missed it? No.  Spent time playing with the dog in the back yard instead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Usually all typical 'burban pavement runs here. But, I really do want to see where I'm at with just a PC and plates.
Interceptor? I haven't run around all day in the summer time with an OTV since 04-07ish. I recall it was........miserable. Not unbearable, but miserable.

I always run in long pants, with a Sig P226 or G17, 2 extra mags and a light. If I really gotta' run these days, that's what's going to be on me.
The caveat, is my pants always look like I simultaneously pissed and shat myself running in this heat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beast mode.

I've been wanting to do at least 3-5 with a slick carrier and plates, but I'm sure it'd garner some funny looks in the burbs.

I don't hate the interceptor. They really need to fit perfect. Not so tight you can't breath, but tight enough that it doesn't bounce. I like that I can adjust them on the fly. I wear one here and there.

This plate carrier is great to run in. The elastic makes it very comfortable.

I ran for years in boots and cammies. I just kinda fell out of practice with it. Maybe I'll do a trail run in boots/armor tomorrow.

I have a 10 mile race on Fri. I used to run it every year in boots and a 30lb ruck. Here's a pic from mile 7

I find a ruck pulls me back and stresses the knees more than armor that is fore and aft.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I went for about a 2 mile walk tonight and it was too hot to WALK outside.

So yeah, no thanks on the running.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the heat and steam bath humidity.  It's unique.  You don't get this all year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
How in shape? How acclimated? Hydrated?

Done ten miles in 105. Wasn't in the best shape either but I wasn't a slouch neither. That includes a stretch through the campus quad which took 5 flights of stairs about 1 mile in.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top