BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want to know how they figured out rail erosion. The technology for guidance, capacitors, etc has been there since the 90s but rail life was awful.
View Quote
Dude, they  just put treadmills inside the barrel. Duh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Steel darts at HV with no propellants on board sounds awesome

The advances beyond our lifetimes will be phenomenal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure that's coming.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We're already burning things out of the sky with lasers.
View Quote

Or

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure that's coming.

Shooting things into orbit without chemical rockets could be amazing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Potentially stupid question. Why is there a cloud of smoke after it fires when it isn't burning propellent?
View Quote
Air and rail material and whatever else is in the pipe. Probably steam from whatever moisture is around as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the point? What do they plan to shoot, other than the taxpayer's wallets?
View Quote
Less of a hit on the wallet is a big part of it. Way cheaper than missiles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to see the impacts
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Electromagnetic Railgun Firing Hypervelocity Projectile @ Mach 7
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to see a nuclear powered railgun battleship.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If/when they do, the technology/material sciences will be highly secret.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really want to know how they figured out rail erosion. The technology for guidance, capacitors, etc has been there since the 90s but rail life was awful.
If/when they do, the technology/material sciences will be highly secret.
And no chance for the Clintons can sell it either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
This is not a salvo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Two questions:

1. How practical is that thing in terms of energy requirements, maintenance, etc.

2. How is it superior to conventional ordnance?

Is it the answer to a Buck Rogers question that really doesn't need answering? I mean, it's cool and all, but isn't it bazillions of dollars when we already have guns?
View Quote
[1900]Why should we switch to an internal combustion engine automobile? Steam powered trains and horses do just as good of a job now for a lot cheaper"[/1900]

See how silly that sounds now?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

wondering this to. is it a RAP projectile or something?
View Quote
No, it's a solid metal slug.  Machined aluminum as I recall.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The smoke ane report (and fireball) come from superheating the air through near instantaneous compression.
The air turns into a plasma when compressed, then expands rapidly.  The Oxygen is ignited.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is not a salvo.
View Quote
2 shots is a salvo. Just a small one.

Looking at everything they shot in the video, I'd guess it's an initial validation of the loading mechanism and the charging/firing system to see if it all works when put together.

Either way, the railgun is a project I find fascinating and I am excited af to know something that badass is going to go from sci-fi to reality in my lifetime!

I can't wait for the rest of the effects on target footage to be declassified
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The smoke ane report (and fireball) come from superheating the air through near instantaneous compression.
The air turns into a plasma when compressed, then expands rapidly.  The Oxygen is ignited.
View Quote
Oxygen is not flammable in and of itself.

It needs a fuel.

Like the aluminum of the projectile.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2 shots is a salvo. Just a small one.

Looking at everything they shot in the video, I'd guess it's an initial validation of the loading mechanism and the charging/firing system to see if it all works when put together.

Either way, the railgun is a project I find fascinating and I am excited af to know something that badass is going to go from sci-fi to reality in my lifetime!

I can't wait for the effects on target footage to be declassified
View Quote
Technically, 1 shot from two or more guns simultaneously or at prescribed intervals is a salvo.  

Remember how you pronounce idiot in French.... EDO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
That's around 6700 fps
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really want to know how they figured out rail erosion.
View Quote
Frog Lube
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

[1900]Why should we switch to an internal combustion engine automobile? Steam powered trains and horses do just as good of a job now for a lot cheaper"[/1900]

See how silly that sounds now?
View Quote
interestingly, steam vehicles had better performance and fuel economy than comparable internal combustion engines.  but due to a hoof-and-mouth outbreak in 1914, horse troughs (the usual water source for vehicle boilers) were emptied as a public health measure.  this was the tipping point that decisively pit the ICE ahead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's around 6700 fps
View Quote
mach 7 is closer to 7900 fps
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Technical question for you Navy peeps. Is there a way to southern-engineer this underneath a carrier deck and hook the plane-holder thing up to it so that when it goes bang the plane launches?
Just trying to help with those next-gen catapult problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
admittedly ignorant question.

They are pushing for something like Mach 7 velocities.

Would it give effective use at Mach 5 with longer barrel life?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're getting a thousand shots at full power, they're far exceeding the barrel life of an Iowas main guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they're getting a thousand shots at full power, they're far exceeding the barrel life of an Iowas main guns.
View Quote
I didn't know they had gotten the barrel life up that much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To a point, higher speeds reduce wear.  Using a higher pulse velocity reduces the time for the rail surfaces to heat or material to start vaporizing.  Now at what points that starts/stops working, hell if I know.

Edit:  here's some engineering speak that I only understand the non-math parts of   Mind you this isn't the military grade stuff, just some guys making them at home, so it's likely refined a lot but the general concept is the same.
http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun2.htm

Theory (a simplified overview):

RailGuns differ from other means of accelerating objects in that the acceleration in the rails occurs purely by magnetic repulsion. This magnetic force is termed a "Lorentz Force", and it has been shown to be:
Frg = 1/2*dL/dX * I2 [1]. The dL/dX term can also be written as L', the inductance gradient of the rails. From this equation it can thus be seen that even in a well designed Rail Gun (high inductance gradient), the most predominant factor in determining exit velocity will always be the power supply current.
Thus it follows that in order to produce high muzzle velocities, long rails and/or very high currents must be used. Unfortunately, maintaining a high current through a long pair of rails requires a lot of energy (Current * Voltage * Time), and with high currents high rates of rail erosion have so far been unavoidable.
 The exit velocity of a rail gun can be estimated through the equation:

V=u+L'/2m * (integral 0?t) I2dt 
[1] , where is the injection velocity.
Although this equation is of limited use unless the exact shape of the current pulse is known, it once again it demonstrates the importance of a high current. It also states the obvious fact that higher exit velocities will be attainable with higher injection velocities. Not easily seen from the equation, but equally important, is the fact that at higher injection velocities the electrical arcing and ohmic heating between the projectile and the rails will not have as much time to heat the rail surfaces to vaporization. Thus, up to a certain point, a higher injection velocity will help minimize  rail damage[10]. It will also prevent rail/projectile spot welding, which can occur at zero injection velocities and low powers on metal/metal contacts. Given the energy expenditure of accelerating the projectile electrically, and the advantages of pre-injection, it makes sense to impart as much initial velocity to the projectile as possible, and only then allow the electric action to do what it is most effective at: attaining velocities that would not be feasible with a gas injection mechanism alone.

Resistive losses in a Rail Gun are given by:

Wr= R0(integral 0?t)i2dt = 2R0(mv)/L' . With mv being the momentum of the projectile, it can be seen that energy loss in a railgun is proportional to projectile momentum (not kinetic energy, as might be expected), and can be minimized by increasing the induction gradient. This would imply that rail guns are most efficient at accelerating light payloads, which would steer research towards smaller bores; however it has been shown experimentally [9] that with very small calibers (<18mm)  the efficiency of a railgun decreases with smaller size bores. Clearly other factors are involved, some of which still unknown.
 For the sake of simplicity and clarity I will limit myself to these and only a few more equations on this write up. The interested reader is invited to seek further knowledge by reading the sources cited at the bottom of the page (as opposed to creating yet another copy of my design, like so many others seemingly incapable of creative thought and engineering design)
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds awesome but how effective will it be. I'm assuming these fast rounds will not be guided and the idea is long range so how accurate will they be?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds awesome but how effective will it be. I'm assuming these fast rounds will not be guided and the idea is long range so how accurate will they be?
View Quote
At max (published) range, you're looking around 9.2 seconds time on target and hitting like a 1000lb bomb.  Mind you, I have no idea on if the numbers on the impact match up, but it's what I've read.   8,200fps covers a crapton of distance real fast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

wondering this to. is it a RAP projectile or something?
View Quote
I was thinking that it was material off of the projectile or the rail that was heated enough to smoke and the air displacement from the projo going down the enclosed rail expelled it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At max (published) range, you're looking around 9.2 seconds time on target and hitting like a 1000lb bomb.  Mind you, I have no idea on if the numbers on the impact match up, but it's what I've read.   8,200fps covers a crapton of distance real fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Incredibly effective. The KE is astronomical. Years ago they were talking about guided munitions with a possible 200 mile range in bigger guns.

Naval bombardment of inland cities from international waters with cheap munitions. America!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Incredibly effective. The KE is astronomical. Years ago they were talking about guided munitions with a possible 200 mile range in bigger guns.

Naval bombardment of inland cities from international waters with cheap munitions. America!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, apparently they've cranked the idea up to 11 since I read it last.  It was 23 miles when I read up on the project concept. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DF-21s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the point? What do they plan to shoot, other than the taxpayer's wallets?
DF-21s
Ain't no way you're shooting down a ballistic missile with an unguided projectile.  This is for land bombardment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Except for the nuke reactors needed to power it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
23 mile range for surface bombardment. $500 7# steel slug hitting like a 1000# bomb at Mach 7. The idea is to put it on figures and destroyers for shallower waters for surface support or closer range fucking things up. 

Still a hell of a lot safer than a full magazine of shells if something goes wrong or they take a hit. Then again, fuck if I know what will happen if caps that big pop off. 
Except for the nuke reactors needed to power it
Zumwalt isn't a nuke.  

It needs a lot of power, and nukes are probably the best way to get that power, but there's no magic about nuke power.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The issue with that idea, I think, is coming up with a guidance package that can withstand the G forces involved in 0-8500 fps acceleration in a couple milliseconds.  Not to mention the magnetic field it would be exposed to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The issue with that idea, I think, is coming up with a guidance package that can withstand the G forces involved in 0-8500 fps acceleration in a couple milliseconds.  Not to mention the magnetic field it would be exposed to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely out of my knowledge set here, but given the velocity and time to target (unless at over the horizon distances like above) can't modern fire control systems and radar plot that pretty accurately?  I don't think they need it to be more accurate than your standard artillery and all.  Although a guidance package would make it more accurate, it would also drive up the cost a good chunk IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure that's coming.

If you're thinking of using rail guns for that, think again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Completely out of my knowledge set here, but given the velocity and time to target (unless at over the horizon distances like above) can't modern fire control systems and radar plot that pretty accurately?  I don't think they need it to be more accurate than your standard artillery and all.  Although a guidance package would make it more accurate, it would also drive up the cost a good chunk IMO.
View Quote
Yeah, but lokifox was talking about NSFS at 200 NM ranges.  Granted, you're shooting at large stationary targets with a known position in that scenario (an airfield for example), but getting any more accuracy than old-time ballistic calculations can give you is hard.  Hitting a specific building would involve a lot of luck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]
digital, not good.

Bring back God Damned Steam
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, but lokifox was talking about NSFS at 200 NM ranges.  Granted, you're shooting at large stationary targets with a known position in that scenario (an airfield for example), but getting any more accuracy than old-time ballistic calculations can give you is hard.  Hitting a specific building would involve a lot of luck.
View Quote
Fair enough  I don't have the slightest idea how advanced or not the ability to do all that number crunching is.  

We could always find a way to mount a mini one on an A-10 or make a new AC-5 gunship 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO_zXuOQy6A

Put that bastard on the USS Giffords!

If dupe, pls delete. Search yielded nothing
View Quote

Why, so it can half ass work like the Ford's EMC (electro magnetic catapult)?

Fuck that, these companies need to have models ready to field before we buy and install shit. The tech is still in need of much R&D before it's combat ready. But, it is starting to look very promising.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Potentially stupid question. Why is there a cloud of smoke after it fires when it isn't burning propellent?
View Quote
Accellerating shit to mach 7+ use's a fuck ton of electricity delivered in fractions of a second. Also the projectile gets extremely hot moving that damn fast though the atmosphere, probably burns off any oils, paint etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#44]
"Velocitas Eradico"

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Mass Effect 2 - Newton Drill Sergeant
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure that's coming.

Maybe I am dumb, but I always though Gerald Bull was ahead of his time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since the effects on target are entirely dependent on KE, the projectile has to not only reach the target, but reach it with enough velocity to destroy it.  I've heard that somewhere around Mach 7, the projectile reaches a high enough altitude that it doesn't lose as much speed to atmospheric drag.

Quoted:
They will be INS/GPS guided.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We made the Sprint ABM missile work in the mid-1960s -- 0 to Mach 10 in 5 seconds, 100+G, in the mid-1960s.  I have faith.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Ceramic over melonite.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why, so it can half ass work like the Ford's EMC (electro magnetic catapult)?

Fuck that, these companies need to have models ready to field before we buy and install shit. The tech is still in need of much R&D before it's combat ready. But, it is starting to look very promising.
View Quote
you missed the anti-gunner joke, but I concur with everything else.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top