Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2017 10:45:33 PM EDT
I'm looking at a 29G bow front with 40lbs of dry rock 15-20lbs of sand, two clown fish, one peppermint shrimp, and 1 starfish.

I haven't cycled it yet, but was going to throw a raw jumbo shrimp in it for 4-6 weeks or until it finishes, then add peppermint and starfish, then clowns a few weeks later.

Also, can I use my hw-704b filter?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of starfish?
The green brittle stars are known fish eaters.If you're goignt to do any invertebrate or live coral ,clams,etc stay away from chocolate chip stars and a few others,they'll eat every thing.go with a linka or formia as they're reef safe.you should drip acclimate for at least an hour,two would be better.they're very sensitive to changes in water chemistry

And the clowns are going to be more hardy than the shrimp or star
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Those filters suck for saltwater,get a hang on the back reef octopus skimmer.

And maybe a hang on the back refugeium with a light and some cheato macro algae
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for someone with a reef tank to give you a little bit of live sand and maybe a live rock to help seed the tank, live rock is a great filtration aid and can help greatly with water quality.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't fucking do it
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are a newb start with @ least a 50 and go with a small sump... small setups+newb=dead shit and frustration...
I have been around the block...been in the hobby for 26+. I have live rock older than most of the new gen libtards running around
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2.  A 10 year old 125 mixed reef and a 8 year old 35 gallon mixed reef.  ReefCentral is the place to learn.

Stick with quality equipment,  Tunze is pricey but is good stuff. The guy who imports and services it lives in Texas.  Great guy.  Called me on my cell to walk me through a power supply to buy at radio Shack.  Pretty much all my equipment is Tunze.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Saltwater is expensive yo!

Cost of Setting Up a 45g Reef Aquarium (and load it up with corals)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of starfish?
The green brittle stars are known fish eaters.If you're goignt to do any invertebrate or live coral ,clams,etc stay away from chocolate chip stars and a few others,they'll eat every thing.go with a linka or formia as they're reef safe.you should drip acclimate for at least an hour,two would be better.they're very sensitive to changes in water chemistry

And the clowns are going to be more hardy than the shrimp or star
View Quote
Blue & Pink Sea Star
or
Tile Sea Star, Orange/Red

Unless you have other suggestions of something under 6"
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are a newb start with @ least a 50 and go with a small sump... small setups+newb=dead shit and frustration...
I have been around the block...been in the hobby for 26+. I have live rock older than most of the new gen libtards running around
View Quote
Newb to salt but have been doing the freshwater thing for a couple of years with good success.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt3HeGzotSg
View Quote
lol

fuck that shit.

I'm looking at $200 for everything including salt for a year.

I guess I'll use my 150 biowheel instead of my spare canister.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Blue & Pink Sea Star
or
Tile Sea Star, Orange/Red

Unless you have other suggestions of something under 6"
View Quote
The only starfish that seems to do well in reefs are the little hitchhiker astrea stars.  I wouldn't waste the money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol

fuck that shit.

View Quote
No biowheels.  Converts ammonia to nitrate which suck for a reef.

Read up a few weeks before you start.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Lots of live rock
Go as big as you can (50 or above), 75-90 a good place to start.

Good circulation
No inverts for at least 6 months, especially stars.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 750 gal living reef and a 750 gal fish.

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/307202/IMG-1609-259975.JPG
Lots of live rock

Good circulation
View Quote
When I had mine, I would just go down to the beach and grab some love rock. All kinds of hitchhikers. Maybe in the next house. I'll definitely be setting up a bait pen on the dock. 500-600 gallons of pilchards and gogs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are going minimalist, water changes will be your friend. Do you have a ro/di filter for water? The biowheel things are kinda worthless. You could try buying a phosban reactor and mix carbon/granular feric oxide. That will be much more effective than a hang on filter. I agree with getting a hang on protein skimmer. The reef octupus models are generally good (i had a bh-90 which is awesome) but a lot of folks recommend the aquamaxx hang on as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Only thing I will say is larger is easier. The larger the volume of water. The more stable it is.
However most of my experience Was with an open system.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a nice little saltwater tank for about 3 years till I went on vacation for a week. Something happened and my parents called me about 5 days in letting me know my fish were dying. It's a big commitment. Both time and money. Sometimes I miss it. But I don't have the time or cash to throw away anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/307202/IMG-1609-259975.JPG
Lots of live rock

Good circulation
View Quote
I thought you are suppose to add those before the fish?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are going minimalist, water changes will be your friend. Do you have a ro/di filter for water? The biowheel things are kinda worthless. You could try buying a phosban reactor and mix carbon/granular feric oxide. That will be much more effective than a hang on filter. I agree with getting a hang on protein skimmer. The reef octupus models are generally good (i had a bh-90 which is awesome) but a lot of folks recommend the aquamaxx hang on as well.
View Quote
Good question, and the answer is no.

Can I just use seachem prime and tap, let it sit for a few days, then mix the salt?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Coral tank?

Fuck that shit.  I've been looking at doing a saltwater tank for a while now but don't really know the ins and outs yet.  All I know is a guy I work with lost about 4k in coral and 2k in fish in one weekend when the power went out while he was doing a side job.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Coral tank?

Fuck that shit.  I've been looking at doing a saltwater tank for a while now but don't really know the ins and outs yet.  All I know is a guy I work with lost about 4k in coral and 2k in fish in one weekend when the power went out while he was doing a side job.
View Quote
ant that's why I'm going small and trying to keep it as cheap/easy as possible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coral tank?

Don't go too small.  Honestly 75 is as low as I would go for a starter.

If you're going lower though watch it like a hawk.  You're not going to know what action will give what reaction and in a small aquarium stuff happens FAST.  Try and find a knowledgeable LFS to frequent that you can call on with any issues.  Go as cheap as you can on fish for the first year because you're going to kill them.  Maybe not all of them, but plenty of them.

You can always take them and resell them when you want something nicer down the road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coral tank?

My understanding is that salt tanks can never be cheap and easy. That's why I've only ever had freshwater tanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't go too small.  Honestly 75 is as low as I would go for a starter.

If you're going lower though watch it like a hawk.  You're not going to know what action will give what reaction and in a small aquarium stuff happens FAST.  Try and find a knowledgeable LFS to frequent that you can call on with any issues.  Go as cheap as you can on fish for the first year because you're going to kill them.  Maybe not all of them, but plenty of them.

You can always take them and resell them when you want something nicer down the road.
View Quote
A 55 isn't too hard
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't read the whole thread but you really only need just a protein skimmer for a filter. It cleans and it saturates the water with oxygen.
You sound like you are informed with the cycling the tank.
Remember nothing good happens fast in saltwater. Take your time look on Craigslist for a decent protein skimmer. Get an auto top off to keep your salinity constant. Do a little research on whats a good heater brand/ wattage for your gallons.
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only starfish that seems to do well in reefs are the little hitchhiker astrea stars.  I wouldn't waste the money.
View Quote
I never had any issues with sand sifting stars. Good for taking care of the detritus on the bottom.

I'd recommend a skimmer and UV light. The UV makes a helluva difference in controlling nuisance algae.

I found that mine ran very well once it was established and wasn't near the maintenance headache I'd anticipated. I really enjoyed having it and sometimes wish I still did but I've moved on to tarantulas and chameleons now. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't fucking do it
View Quote
He's gonna fucking do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a 60 gallon FOWLR... with a low bioload right now....Not ready to jump into corals!

Also have a 5 gallon QT tank...

What ever you do... take it nice and slow... don't rush things! Bad things happen in this hobby when you rush....
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My understanding is that salt tanks can never be cheap and easy. That's why I've only ever had freshwater tanks.
View Quote
Not true....

I've got a 5 gallon QT/hospital tank that my fished lived in for a few weeks before being introduced into the main tank, for observation purposes, to make sure they're not sick, have any diseases etc...

Tank has a bare bottom, couple PVC pieces  for the fish to hide, heater and a powerfilter!

I do a gallon and a half water change weekly....

Piece of cake!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good question, and the answer is no.

Can I just use seachem prime and tap, let it sit for a few days, then mix the salt?
View Quote
I wouldn't!

You can buy RO/DI water from your local fish store.

29 Gallon... Plus your rocks and sand... You probably shouldn't have to haul much home to fill your tank.

I'd add a refactormeter and test kit to your shopping list as well....And not the API test kit... And the skimmer ilikeporkchops mentioned above.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you want to be successful for 6 months? If so use tap water cheap equipment and follow a strict maintenance routine that you will give up on in 5 months.  

Or so you want to be successful for years and years. Get quality equipment the first time.  
Get an ATO, GFO/Carbon reactor.  Get a RO/DI unit for your water.  If you are going to get corals down the line  get a good light in the beginning.  Get a good protein skimmer.  

Remember the quality equipment will hold it's value better of you decide the saltwater game isn't for you.

But the most important thing is knowledge.  Read read read.  Ask questions.  There is a 1000 ways to keep a reef tank and no one way is perfect.

Also test kits you will need them and I'm. It talking about the dip strips.  Use a refractometer to measure SG not a hydrometer.

Yes they can be expensive but weigh the cost of each part to the value it brings to make your life easier and the tank more stable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not true....

I've got a 5 gallon QT/hospital tank that my fished lived in for a few weeks before being introduced into the main tank, for observation purposes, to make sure they're not sick, have any diseases etc...

Tank has a bare bottom, couple PVC pieces  for the fish to hide, heater and a powerfilter!

Piece of cake!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true....

Piece of cake!
Funny, minds think alike. I was going to suggest using a 20 long display tank and like a 50 or 100 gallon sump made from either a cheap fish tank, or a cheap plastic bucket. Make the minimalism look okay and you have less display space to fill with rock.  I used to use my sump to fragment corals to grow for the display.

https://www.thespruce.com/cheap-easy-diy-aquarium-sumps-2924656
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do you want to be successful for 6 months? If so use tap water cheap equipment and follow a strict maintenance routine that you will give up on in 5 months.  

Or so you want to be successful for years and years. Get quality equipment the first time.  
Get an ATO, GFO/Carbon reactor.  Get a RO/DI unit for your water.  If you are going to get corals down the line  get a good light in the beginning.  Get a good protein skimmer.  

Remember the quality equipment will hold it's value better of you decide the saltwater game isn't for you.

But the most important thing is knowledge.  Read read read.  Ask questions.  There is a 1000 ways to keep a reef tank and no one way is perfect.

Also test kits you will need them and I'm. It talking about the dip strips.  Use a refractometer to measure SG not a hydrometer.

Yes they can be expensive but weigh the cost of each part to the value it brings to make your life easier and the tank more stable.
View Quote
Exactumundo!

Sound advice right here op...

I'd still suggest doing a FOWLR... Get your params & chemistry straight and stable, get into the habit of water changes, let the tank mature... and then dive into corals after 6 months to a year!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would a 3 stage RO work with no DI?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#38]
3 stage Ro is much better than just using tap water, but will still have some impurities.  Adding a di stage is easy and cheap less than $70.  

Remember with salt water aquariums your job is to maintain water quality that's all you need for success.

So you have to weigh out the value of adding a di stage to the cost.  

I started my first tank with tap water. Never again. Everything looks fine for a few months.

Check out bulkreefsupply for good RO/di units and di add-on kits.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't fucking do it
View Quote
This.

Worst waste of time and money on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

Worst waste of time and money on the planet.
View Quote
Donating to the Hillary campaign would be a better use of money then?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#41]
"Quoted: 

This. 

Worst waste of time and money on the planet."

Explain yourself.. Or are you too busy with your crab meat and trains?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"Quoted: 

This. 

Worst waste of time and money on the planet."

Explain yourself.. Or are you too busy with your crab meat and trains?
View Quote
I can't speak for him, but I had a 210 gal with 70 gallon sump that I had to give away. I probably had $20,000 in it over about 3 years, but I'm afraid to add it all up. Very glad to be rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#43]
You can cycle your tank with just live rock. I always put some hermit crabs in too and fed them a little bit of pellets. The cheapest part of a tank is the set up. Upkeep is more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can cycle your tank with just live rock. I always put some hermit crabs in too and fed them a little bit of pellets. The cheapest part of a tank is the set up. Upkeep is more expensive.
View Quote
I found it to be the total opposite.... Initial start up and set up was most expensive! Having to acquire all the equipment ie; test kits, RO/DI unit, skimmer, power heads, ets....I have everything I need NOW!

Upkeep is just a hour or two for me every other weekend or so.... 5 gallon pail of Instant Ocean salt is lasting me forever... with water changes twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I found it to be the total opposite.... Initial start up and set up was most expensive! Having to acquire all the equipment ie; test kits, RO/DI unit, skimmer, power heads, ets....I have everything I need NOW!

Upkeep is just a hour or two for me every other weekend or so.... 5 gallon pail of Instant Ocean salt is lasting me forever... with water changes twice a month.
View Quote
That's probably true for a fowlr. I had tons of coral and anemones. I ended up giving away everything to a buddy last year. I had one of my tanks setup for close to ten years and I don't even want to think about the amount of money that went into that thing.

The coolest fish I ever had in that time was a porcupine puffer. He would come up to the top of the tank and let me pet him roll him over and scratch his belly and would only eat fresh shrimp out of my hand. He was smart too my wife accidentally sucked him up with the hose doing a water change and after that she couldn't put her hand in the tank without getting bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's probably true for a fowlr. I had tons of coral and anemones. I ended up giving away everything to a buddy last year. I had one of my tanks setup for close to ten years and I don't even want to think about the amount of money that went into that thing.

The coolest fish I ever had in that time was a porcupine puffer. He would come up to the top of the tank and let me pet him roll him over and scratch his belly and would only eat fresh shrimp out of my hand. He was smart too my wife accidentally sucked him up with the hose doing a water change and after that she couldn't put her hand in the tank without getting bit.
View Quote
Ahhh yes! You're correct!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol

fuck that shit.

View Quote
Hahaha...200!
My advice to you is DONT BUY ANYTHING!
Join a saltwater forum and do a ton of research before doin anythin!

I have a 7.5 gal tank and have spent well over 500.
Shit just alone my kessil 160 was 250.
I have over 30 years with fuckin with fish and tanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#48]
My 45 I don't know how much I have in it.  A few thousand... Hell the light alone with bracket was almost 800 .  One power head was 250ish.  It can be expensive but it's a hobby.

Hobbies can be expensive.

OP don't forget what you will do in the case of an extended power outage some corals will start to die off in as little as a few hours without any water flow around them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#49]
My Dad had a 55 gallon tank that he cycled and got going and stabilized it.

I decided I was going to go big for his birthday (for me working part time making $3.50 an hour) and buy him a nice saltwater fish.  He had clowns and a really cool puffer fish and other great fish.

I bought this BEAUTIFUL trigger fish that was a beautiful green with orange stripes.  Gorgeous fish that also was an ahole and happened to have an appetite for destruction.  That freaking trigger ate every other fish in that tank before we found out they are pretty well aggressive jerk fish.  Man my dad was pissed off at that fish.  He actually went all full throttle and went to the store trying to find something that would eat the trigger fish for revenge but there wasn't much they sold that would kill it.

So he converted the tank to aggressive fish that the trigger would not eat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
lol

fuck that shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

fuck that shit.

No Biowheel! No, no, no!

Protein skimmer and a refugium. Freshwater filtration does not translate well to saltwater setups. Ditch the biowheel and canister unless you love throwing good money after bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top