Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2017 5:37:06 PM EDT
Paired with modern ECUs and EcoBoost, this could be really interesting stuff.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/07/new-ford-patent-seeds-engine-water-promises-horsepower-boost/

I'm not sure how I feel about engines having GDI, MPFI, and this all at the same time, though...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that Trump is president, can we just get back to naturally aspirated big ass engines?

I like my women with big asses, and I like my vehicles with big heavy V8s.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd almost rather have a E85 optimized engine that ran no boost, and really retarded spark on 93 octane.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Something else that can go wrong as soon as the warranty expires, why the hell not?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
How often will the exhaust pipes need replacing? I already see cars rusting in front of my eyes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that Trump is president, can we just get back to naturally aspirated big ass engines?

View Quote
Why would you want less horsepower and torque?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
X1000 on both sentences.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ford also played with a 5 cylinder diesel....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What's old is new again.

Water injection was big in the late 70's/early 80's-I remember installing a few.Pretty sure I still have one lying around somewhere.

Mounted between the carb. and intake.

Water works good to decarbon as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It's fine for performance cars but I can't see the average person buying distilled water and refilling the tank regularly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Reliability in old age. Time will tell, we will see how well 15 year old Ecoboost platforms do...  My mind is at least open to it.

Oops, this was supposed to be a response to Jonnycarcinogen's post. Monkey hands and smartphones...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How often will the exhaust pipes need replacing? I already see cars rusting in front of my eyes.
View Quote
Water is already a byproduct of internal combustion.  The question is will this process add much more and is Ford going to address this in a way that will negate excess corrosion?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like turbos on everything.

Been working on my brother's Grand National a lot getting it optimized with programmable tuning and spark.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Water is already a byproduct of internal combustion.  The question is will this process add much more and is Ford going to address this in a way that will negate excess corrosion?
View Quote
Most manufacturers use stainless pipe now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a ton of water vapor in combustion products already, this would be worse how?

Also, when I get to be dictator of the universe, all exhausts and brake lines will be SS anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really an issue.  Also remember the water is likely to only spray near WOT, above a certain RPM and boost threshold.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Why stop at water? Let's step it up to MW50 (methanol/water)
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure you would!

I haven't seen a rusty car since I moved back to AZ, we have surface rust it doesnt get any further than that unless you speed up the process.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's fine for performance cars but I can't see the average person buying distilled water and refilling the tank regularly.
View Quote
It won't be distilled water, it will be alcohol..water would freeze in any northern states....most likely be windshield wiper fluid....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It won't be distilled water, it will be alcohol..water would freeze in any northern states....most likely be windshield wiper fluid....
View Quote
Brain fart, you're correct.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reliability in old age. Time will tell, we will see how well 15 year old Ecoboost platforms do...  My mind is at least open to it.

Oops, this was supposed to be a response to Jonnycarcinogen's post. Monkey hands and smartphones...
View Quote
It will be like the diesel pickups..most people will junk the 15 yr old truck rather then spend 10-20 k going thru the engine/fuel system/turbos..unless they can find a decent junkyard motor...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like turbos on everything.

Been working on my brother's Grand National a lot getting it optimized with programmable tuning and spark.
View Quote
Meh, turbo's are cool, not sure they are the answer for everything..as far as pickups and small v-6's turbo's..meh not a fan, I understand why fords doing it, and its working for them but I prefer a different way to skin the cat...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exhaust pipes have been made from 300 series stainless steel in almost every car and light truck made since the early 90's.

I haven't had a car with a rusted exhaust system since 1981.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is no substitute for extra atmospheres.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Meh, turbo's are cool, not sure they are the answer for everything..as far as pickups and small v-6's turbo's..meh not a fan, I understand why fords doing it, and its working for them but I prefer a different way to skin the cat...
View Quote
Still a lot of guys like myself who choose the v8 options on their f150s though.

And I see a lot of guys bitching about their ecoboost trucks having issues.

I would like to boost my 5.0 though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Ford FKD me once, I was one of the first to receive the 2003 6.0.

Never, Never, did I say NEVER again.........

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ford also played with a 5 cylinder diesel....
View Quote
They work great too.  I have a few at work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#28]
They are late to this.  BMW ///M and MB are already doing it in production models.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Great. Another thing to leak
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It will be like the diesel pickups..most people will junk the 15 yr old truck rather then spend 10-20 k going thru the engine/fuel system/turbos..unless they can find a decent junkyard motor...
View Quote
Most naturally aspirated gasoline trucks are junked by the time they hit 15-20 years old, so it's not much of an issue.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why stop at water? Let's step it up to MW50 (methanol/water)
View Quote
Only if they call it War Emergency Power.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I love watersports!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
If it's Ford, water injection really means, cracked blocks,.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still a lot of guys like myself who choose the v8 options on their f150s though.

View Quote
I think a 4-500 cubic inch engine made from a new design that takes two separate l-4's and mounts them together in a twin crank v-block, when economy is needed the control system can completely shut down half the engine including one crank/ 4 pistons/ valvetrain, then when power is needed both run in harmony..not sure the technology is their yet to seamlessly couple two together  but it would be interesting concept going forward to play with...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Exhaust pipes have been made from 300 series stainless steel in almost every car and light truck made since the early 90's.

View Quote
outside the land cruiser and some performance cars, i dont know any vehicle with a stainless exhaust system. My Ranger 2004 exhaust was rusted to shit and had to be replaced, same with my 2004 vw golf. Most exhausts are just galvanized steel, not stainless.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the old names in performance was working on this exact thing in the 90-00s. I think it was Crower. I remember thinking it was really cool at the time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd almost rather have a E85 optimized engine that ran no boost, and really retarded spark on 93 octane.  
View Quote
Something similar to Fords Bobcat project engines. Ford plays with a lot - actually they all do but Ford showcases a lot of the R&D. Very little actually makes it to production so they hope to gain benefits from being seen as technological innovators. Whether they are or not. 

https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/np213/Teleseminars/Robert%20Stein%20(AVL)%203-29-11.pdf
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I'd use windshield washer fluid. Especially if it's an Ecoboost.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Neva bin dun befo

M4 GTS
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's old is new again.

Water injection was big in the late 70's/early 80's-I remember installing a few.Pretty sure I still have one lying around somewhere.

Mounted between the carb. and intake.

Water works good to decarbon as well.
View Quote
Water/alcohol anti-detonation fluid was injected into many WWII fighter plane engines.

In fact, most everything hot rodders do, was done on fighter plane engines, including nitrous.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is.  GM wanted to install it on Grand Nationals back in the 80's, but the government decided it was "fuel" and mandated steel hard lines for all the plumbing, which killed the idea.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I have it on good authority that Ford will have the Mustang all carbon fiber body in 2020.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Only if they call it War Emergency Power.
View Quote
I thought the fighter aircraft used water injection back in the second world war.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think a 4-500 cubic inch engine made from a new design that takes two separate l-4's and mounts them together in a twin crank v-block, when economy is needed the control system can completely shut down half the engine including one crank/ 4 pistons/ valvetrain, then when power is needed both run in harmony..not sure the technology is their yet to seamlessly couple two together  but it would be interesting concept going forward to play with...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rofl.... why have one unbalanced engine when you can have two! LOL plus heaps of added inefficiency and complexity.
Sounds like extra dead weight to haul around. Might as well go hybrid at that point and get massive Tq off the line saving fuel, cruise at high mpg on gas, and make power back on re-gen braking.  Vs carrying a whole extra motor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not a very boosted engine optimized for E85?  Guys I know running old SVO Mustangs and other vehicles with turbo 2.3 Lima engines were running on E-85 with close to 25 psi boost numbers and were seeing 400-500 rwhp numbers on the dyno.

That was close to 15 years ago with 1987 SVO Mustang or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe technology with mild upgrades.  Imagine an EcoBoost engine with its updated technology like direct injection, coil on plug ignition and the EcoBoost's DOHC heads instead of the old 2.3 Lima's SOHC design?

Given the current 3.5L EcoBoost's power levels, imagine what more boost and an E-85 tune could do.  If the 3.5 can put out a reliable 500rwhp for the Ford GT, what could an E-85 spec one be good for?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most are 409 Stainless.

The company I worked for previously made the titanium for the Corvette Z06 from about 1999-2004 or so .  Every year after they introduced it, GM kept taking titanium parts out of the exhaust, until the last couple years it was just the exhaust tips that were made out of Ti.
That was all commercially pure titanium.  Not good for close to the engine.  Oxidizes too much.
Now they have an alloy called XT that has a little Fe and Si in it, and works much better.  Akropovic buys just about all of it.  Used for motorcycle exhaust cans, as some high end - high perfomance european sports cars.  Porsche was going to put it in their super 911, to cut down weight to make up for a bigger engine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish I had a photo of my 2004 F-150's exhaust when I had to replace everything from the cat back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
-20º windshield fluid is basically 34% methanol and 66% water and some blue dye. I have my water/meth injection setup plumbed to used the windshield fluid bottle and used -20º fluid. Gotta be careful with the other fluids, many of them use glycol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top