Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2017 5:27:37 PM EDT
For most of my life I've had access to a lift, or just used heavy oak machine rigging blocks to support cars for repairs.

Unfortunately, I don't have either at the moment, and have a couple jobs that will require getting under lifted up cars.  (Jeep ball joints and wheel bearings, Vibe A/C compressor)

None of the cars I own are more than 3500lbs or so, so can I just buy the cheap 3 ton Hazard Fraught jackstands?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a set for years that I use on cars, they're fine.  For trucks/suv's, I use the 6 ton set.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They've worked fine for me...

Jack stands aren't engineering marvels. I look for the cheapest available that meet the necessary weight limits.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW I prefer to use the ramp type stands. They have the (obviously) ramped section then about 18 inches of flat surface to set the wheels on. Having seen more than one car get pushed off of jackstands, I want something more substantial holding my car up while rolling around underneath it. Ramps and wheel chocks for me thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't buy junk, you want 4 widespread legs and a quality latch for the height adjustment and a quality pocket on top ...think about this..your very life and anyone else who is under said vehicle on jack stands is at serious risk..even with quality stands...spend the money they will last several lifetimes...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using a cheap set from Cummins Tools for over a decade without any problems. Cummins Tools makes Harbor Freight look like Snap-On.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm amazed at people that rely on just a jack. Any stand is better than none.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Hein-Werner.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't buy junk, you want 4 widespread legs and a quality latch for the height adjustment and a quality pocket on top ...think about this..your very life and anyone else who is under said vehicle on jack stands is at serious risk..even with quality stands...spend the money they will last several lifetimes...
View Quote
What is the price cut off for a 3-ton set that's safe vs deadly? What is the minimum width of the stance for a stand that is rated at #3,000?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate getting under *great* stands

I'm going to build myself some wood cribs one of these days
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Craigslist is your friend. I scored some US Jack 6 tons for $25 

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
AutoZone / Advance Auto ones have worked well for me for years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
NOT HF.

Never trust your life to a HF product.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the price cut off for a 3-ton set that's safe vs deadly? What is the minimum width of the stance for a stand that is rated at #3,000?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cant say on prices, but their isn't that much difference....but for what I consider safe? here is two sets, the first set I wouldn't go near..the second set, I would use...compare to what I listed in my first post....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
In before Zoomer302
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO user error is the culprit in most accidents. I've seen cars knocked off of jack stands, and I've see jack stands punch through a sheet metal floor, but I've never seen one just break under use. ASTM-A36 is ASTM-A36. So long its made by real brand (and no Joe-Blow's homemade special), I'd have no fear. I usually more than I need though, and also throw a spare wheel or whatever nearby.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jack + stand + backup stand
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have about 5 sets of Jack stands. My favorite ones are from harbor freight. I have a set of the biggest size, two of the next size down, and one set of the baby ones. Zero issues with any of them. The ones you buy at parts stores/Sears are the same thing with a different paint job. HF is basically the only place where you can always find 4x4 truck sized jack stands that can actually reach the frame.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Or drive on ramps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty hard to do suspension work on ramps..
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always slide the tires under the frame
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Or drive on ramps.
View Quote
Not a fan of the ramps..first you can't pull the tires, second..its too easy for a vehicle to roll off them...Yep, had a guy in a shop who used them, he was pulling a driveshaft..soon as it popped loose the vehicle rolled off the ramps and got him..luckily he lived thru it....the tranny was stopping it from rolling..popping the driveshaft gave it free reign...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I would find a set with wide vehicle contact. I have a set that is the exact size of the frame. It takes several attempts to get it just right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Or drive on ramps.
View Quote
Metal ramps.

I found a great set on craigslist for $10.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
None of the cars I own are more than 3500lbs or so, so can I just buy the cheap 3 ton Hazard Fraught jackstands?  
View Quote

Don't forget that total weight of a vehicle is NOT the same as the amount of weight one jack stand will support. 3500 lbs spread over 4 contact points is essentially 900lbs each corner, not considering weight distribution. I kept a wrangler on 3 ton jack stands for 9 months while deployed, zero failures. I usually try to buy around 1.5-2x the weight of the vehicle in jack stands. My diesel sits on 6 tons when I'm working on it.

My jacking procedure:
Park in flat area.
Set parking brake
Block all wheels that will remain on the ground.
release parking brake, make sure vehicle does not move one bit.
set parking brake
jack vehicle up. Never jack more than one wheel at a time, the minutes saved are not worth the topple risk if things get off balance.
As soon as there is room for the jack stand to fit, move it into place, raise it as high as you can as you jack vehicle.
Once desired jacking is complete, leave jack in place, add as many jack stands as possible without blocking your work.
Release weight from jack, transferring to jack stand(s).
Shake test.
Begin work, finish work, undo jacking.
Profit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the Craftsman jack stands...  (The 2nd set shown above.)  Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Plus harbor freight 8 ton stands.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Ac delco has a 4 ton set for around $45 that raises my half ton pick up 21 inches.  A 3 ton set will not do that.   Bought at Oreilly auto
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Get these:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641758_200641758

$40 from NT and they come with a safety pin.  The ones without the safety pin can become unlocked and then fall, don't use those.

Let's see if I can get a pic up:

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ac delco has a 4 ton set for around $45 that raises my half ton pick up 21 inches.  A 3 ton set will not do that.   Bought at Oreilly auto
View Quote
Great point. I have some 12 tons that I bought specifically for their ability to extend to 30". Makes certain jobs much easier considering my axle tubes are roughly 15" above ground level with the truck on the ground. The frame rails are easily 21-22 inches.

Sometimes its more about the size and less about the weight capacity.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the ramps..first you can't pull the tires, second..its too easy for a vehicle to roll off them...Yep, had a guy in a shop who used them, he was pulling a driveshaft..soon as it popped loose the vehicle rolled off the ramps and got him..luckily he lived thru it....the tranny was stopping it from rolling..popping the driveshaft gave it free reign...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or drive on ramps.
Whether you are using ramps or jack stands, you should still be setting the emergency brake AND chocking a wheel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had a neighbor who had the same thing happen to him with jacks.

After his car rolled off the jacks, we heard him hollering, and ran out to re-set the jacks long enough to pull him out.

He had a couple of skin punctures in his chest to show for the ordeal, but nothing life-threatening.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cant say on prices, but their isn't that much difference....but for what I consider safe? here is two sets, the first set I wouldn't go near..the second set, I would use...compare to what I listed in my first post....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/SXT-1522-DZ-xl-258918.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/c19005ec-f4e2-47a6-8b0a-5a36d72d2258-1-258920.JPG
View Quote
I have the Craftsman set, they're G2G. Just used them a couple weeks go when doing the springs on my 4runner........ with my $35 HF spring compressor, of course.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a set of Craftsman 3-tonners that have been holding up my mostly-disassembled car for, like, eight years with no issues.

I have a pair of Harbor Freight 3-tonners that look damn near identical to the Craftsman ones except for the paint, they haven't dropped anything on me yet (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't forget that total weight of a vehicle is NOT the same as the amount of weight one jack stand will support. 3500 lbs spread over 4 contact points is essentially 900lbs each corner, not considering weight distribution. I kept a wrangler on 3 ton jack stands for 9 months while deployed, zero failures. I usually try to buy around 1.5-2x the weight of the vehicle in jack stands. My diesel sits on 6 tons when I'm working on it.

My jacking procedure:
Park in flat area.
Set parking brake
Block all wheels that will remain on the ground.
release parking brake, make sure vehicle does not move one bit.
set parking brake
jack vehicle up. Never jack more than one wheel at a time, the minutes saved are not worth the topple risk if things get off balance.
As soon as there is room for the jack stand to fit, move it into place, raise it as high as you can as you jack vehicle.
Once desired jacking is complete, leave jack in place, add as many jack stands as possible without blocking your work.
Release weight from jack, transferring to jack stand(s).
Shake test.
Begin work, finish work, undo jacking.
Profit.
View Quote
No way in hellz will i jack up one corner at a time and twist the shit out of mine or customers vehicles.

Always leave the jack just tight againt a cross member even when on stands.
And for petes sake,mset it down SLOWLY onto the stands, dont do the stupid shit i see ppl do and just drop the vehicle.
I always set both stands to the hight i need then jack up vehicle just high enough to slide the stands into position, that way of my jack drops when lowering it, the vehicle doesnt slam down as its pretty mich alrdy resting on the stands.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Dbl tap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a set of the 6 ton and a set of 8 ton Harbor freight stands I have been using for over 20 years with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

$40 from NT and they come with a safety pin.  The ones without the safety pin can become unlocked and then fall, don't use those.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/700x700/462/46223_700x700.jpg
View Quote
Those look just like my HF stands I bought 20 years ago only mine are orange and white.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No way in hellz will i jack up one corner at a time and twist the shit out of mine or customers vehicles.

Always leave the jack just tight againt a cross member even when on stands.
And for petes sake,mset it down SLOWLY onto the stands, dont do the stupid shit i see ppl do and just drop the vehicle.
I always set both stands to the hight i need then jack up vehicle just high enough to slide the stands into position, that way of my jack drops when lowering it, the vehicle doesnt slam down as its pretty mich alrdy resting on the stands.
View Quote
Good points for unibody cars I guess. I'm jacking from the axle, I'll let the suspension worry about the flex.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:39:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a set of 6 ton Harbor Freights and a set of 6 ton Strongways from Northern Tool. I had my heavy ass Jeep Cherokee on the Harbor Freights for a week when I was doing the suspension lift, no problems encountered.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#40]
The 3 ton ones are to short for you to work on a jeep.
I use hf 6 ton and 8 ton on a samurai.
I also use some 1 ton welding stands 24-36 inches.

Edit to the people saying that he should use ramps, you can't for the job op is attempting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
6 ton is a good all-around size.  They barely get a passenger car high enough for a tranny swap or exhaust work.

I dont buy jack stands for their rating, i buy them according to gow high they lift and how wide the footprint is.  Once you find one that goes high enough for you, it will generally be rated to support way more than you are working on.

I like the hft 6 tons.  

Beware though, i have seen a picture of a craftsman or hft jack stand that had a failure on the leg that goes up, not just the steel base or latch
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I use an old set my grandfather gave me.  3 legs, made of formed sheet steel.  I need a better set but I've used these for 30 years.  They do have a cross pin to hold the lift up, not the cam levers.

I don't like 3 leg stands.  I'm not a big fan of four leg stands made of folded plate or sheet steel.  Don't like cam levers or lock either.  I've seen cam lever on adjuster slip under load and drop all the way.

I prefer the base plate with gusseted square tube with a tube height adjuster using a cross pin with safe or keeper pin through it.

I always place a rim and tire lying down under the  frame when I'm working on a lifted vehicle.  Similar in idea as wood block cribbing.  And I like to keep a bit of weight on the jacks too, if possible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Those look just like my HF stands I bought 20 years ago only mine are orange and white.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I've been using for the last 20 years. Actually, 19 years but close enough. I've never had the first problem with them and they will probably be here and in great shape when I'm gone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Ah hell - just rent a hi-lo with long forks for the day.

FYI - Most jack stands are too short for Jeep and you'll likely have to release axle from suspension to swap ball joints. So jack stands under axle be a problem, your axle will drop about a foot. Either have to raise tub over suspension or drop axle. Job can be done but get at least 4 stands. Use where frame / bumper meet. Lift from center front bumper get on stand, repeat in rear. make sure to loosen lugs first unless want to do it all over again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hate getting under *great* stands

I'm going to build myself some wood cribs one of these days
View Quote
If you ever see a construction crew putting water or sewer pipe in the ground stop by and ask them if they have any hardwood blocking that the pipe ships on. It's 4x4 or close to it and they end up with giant piles of the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Watch the used market for ramps. I have a set of heavy duty steel ramps that is older than I am. Much much stronger than the stamped stuff that is commonly sold today.

I have jackstands as well, but I only use them if wheels need to come off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Have a set of the 6 Ton HF I also leave the floor jack underneath for safety margin.  I have ramps too if it is something quick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's exactly what I've been using for the last 20 years. Actually, 19 years but close enough. I've never had the first problem with them and they will probably be here and in great shape when I'm gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get one of the 6 ton set and use the jack as a safety precaution on the side your working on.   Be diligent on setting the jackstands and have an escape plan if the jacks start to move.

Get a set of drive up ramps for the non suspension work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#50]
If you just want some standard Jack Stands, get them from Northern Tool.  Their "Double Locking" stands have a secondary safety pin lock.

I returned mine though because I decided that I wanted to support my car with the pinch weld, so I bought these and made some hockey puck pads to cradle the pinch weld.  You can remove the rubber cap and there's a perfect cradle to secure the hockey pucks.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top