Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There are too many variables to give anything than a general answer.  One million invested plus SS can provide a comfortable retirement for most people of current retirement age. IF you are young, 20 to 30, you want to start squirrelling money away. It's hard to guess how much you will need in the future but it will be more than a million bucks. If you want a very nice retirement, where you can travel and buy the things you want, I recommend putting 20% away in investments. If you are 50 or older, think 25% or more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have 4m, why are you asking arfcom?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm poor, and I'll go elsewhere.

I will have a paid for house by then and my wife's and my monthly expenses is about $1k. Say $15k average a year to cover repairs and unexpected stuff.

Several million, are you serious?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4% of 4 million is $160,000. 

Average income for a working American is about $32,500.  I would think 4 mil today should last most people through death pretty well.
View Quote
How do you expect someone making $32500 to accumulate millions of dollars?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have 4m, why are you asking arfcom?
View Quote
you should go over to bogleheads.com.. the guys with 4m are crying that they have to work til their 80, so they can leave a pile to their kids. "Tight" is the best way to describe those guys over there. Smart with money but obsessed too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
25x your expenses in retirement.

EDIT: Currently my wife and I could retire, today, with $1.8 million dollars and not change a single thing about our budget.  That would cover our mortgage, HELOC payment, car payment, student loan payments, daycare, the works.  Realistically we will need less as by the time we retire a lot of those things should be gone.
View Quote
$1.8mil in retirement money, but you still have a morgage AND a home equity loan? That doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Damn right!!!   It all depends on your definition of comfortable
View Quote
Yep and I figure maintaining my current income level will work for me. It will vary for others but I do think I am using a good baseline.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a number of retirement calculators that do a good job of figuring all this out.

Young guys, here's what you do:

Have 10% of your pay go into the 401k at work.  It won't hurt that bad because it's pre-tax.

Your employer will match some of it.  Literally free money.

Have the money go into an S&P 500 fund.  If they don't have an S&P 500 fund, spread the money around into 5 or more small, medium and large cap funds.

Leave it there and don't fuck with it no matter what the stock market is doing.  Ignore all stock advice.  Ignore market crashes.  Ignore your wife's mother.

Do the above and you'll be one smiling mofo in 25 years.

Putting a couple thousand a year away now will be worth more than putting $50,000 a year away when you are 55.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll be working until the day I die..

I'm 46 and the males in my biological family don't make it very far into their fifties, which sucks because the males in my adopted family live well into their eighties.
View Quote
Live long and prosper, my brother. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry Bub, but if you still have a HELOC, a car payment, student loans and the "works", then you are no where near retirement.  $1.8 million, with your spending habits, will not last you ten years.

The key is to be debt free.  If you have a "car payment" then you are doing it all wrong.
View Quote
I can't speak to his specifics but debt is a valuable tool. Interest rates are so low right now that if you pay for a vehicle in cash you are making a mistake.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have 10% of your pay go into the 401k at work.  It won't hurt that bad because it's pre-tax.
View Quote
Ive wondered about something;

Humor me if you will......

For simple math, lets say someone age 20 (2017) , puts 10% away 401k,  Pre-Tax, and adds to it or what not over the next 40 years.

ALL that money will be taxed at 2057 rates or whatever year they start collecting it. Wouldnt it be worth more to be "taxed as you go", 2017 taxes surely would be less by 2057 standards

Ive wondered about this. Plus if someone passes away, the taxes have been paid and the estate wouldnt be on the hook for the entire amount (happened to friend, their dad had something from 1950s, he passed in 2012 and they had to pay a LARGE chunk of taxes)
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can't speak to his specifics but debt is a valuable tool. Interest rates are so low right now that if you pay for a vehicle in cash you are making a mistake.
View Quote
I have a relative that didnt take my advice. They wanted a brand new truck, wanted to pay cash. I told her that there are incentives to use in-house financing, yada yada yada. Even the dealer was telling her to finance it for a couple months and then pay it off, said he could get her rebates , incentives, etc. She didnt listen and missed out on some opportunities and couldve gotten truck cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are a number of retirement calculators that do a good job of figuring all this out.

Young guys, here's what you do:

Your employer will match some of it.  Literally free money.

Have the money go into an S&P 500 fund.  If they don't have an S&P 500 fund, spread the money around into 5 or more small, medium and large cap funds.

Leave it there and don't fuck with it no matter what the stock market is doing.  Ignore all stock advice.  Ignore market crashes.  Ignore your wife's mother.

Do the above and you'll be one smiling mofo in 25 years.

Putting a couple thousand a year away now will be worth more than putting $50,000 a year away when you are 55.
View Quote
Yep...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
most of the answers in this thread are unrealistic

to put 4m away for retirement is simply out of reach for most people.

most people are going to be able to slide 10% of their pay into a 401k and whatever that works out to in 30 or 40 years is what they get.

you might have to live in a little coal town when you retire instead of Martha's Vineyard.

here's one big thing you can do to save your ass from a miserable retirement:

stop buying expensive cars.

stop paying credit card interest.

those are the two wealth evaporators for the average stiff
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For simple math, lets say someone age 20 (2017) , puts 10% away 401k,  Pre-Tax, and adds to it or what not over the next 40 years.

ALL that money will be taxed at 2057 rates or whatever year they start collecting it. Wouldnt it be worth more to be "taxed as you go", 2017 taxes surely would be less by 2057 standards

Ive wondered about this. Plus if someone passes away, the taxes have been paid and the estate wouldnt be on the hook for the entire amount (happened to friend, their dad had something from 1950s, he passed in 2012 and they had to pay a LARGE chunk of taxes)
View Quote
Simple answer. Do you expect tax rates to be higher now or then?
Remember there is talk of lowering tax rates now and you probably won't be pulling it all out as a lump sum. Try to calculate what your post retirement income will be then compare. There are many retirement calculators to choose from out there, try one out and see.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can't. You could maybe make it to one million if you were super tight, but you will be better off retraining/gaining skills and getting into a top 25% income.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
a lot of companies will match your investment in the 401k, like maybe 50% match up to 6% of your pay.

it's hard to beat that

there are a million way to skin a cat

the important thing is to a. start saving early and b. not fuck up your returns by making the classic investing mistakes like trying to time the market
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]
The way I see it, you need to either have nothing or have several million.  If you don't have the several million, then you'll be blowing through what you do have pretty fast due to health care costs.  'Cause that problem apparently ain't gettin' fixed voluntarily.  And you'll be wishing you had enjoyed that money while you could.  

I don't expect to have several million, and I figure I'll be working until the day I die even though I'm saving about 45% of my gross income currently and have been for a while.  Or I'll just get on the disability gravy train (I do have some actual health/physical issues but I haven't been beaten into submission yet).  Sometimes I think I'm stupid for not partying like there's no tomorrow...spend, spend, spend, borrow, borrow, and borrow some more.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep and I figure maintaining my current income level will work for me. It will vary for others but I do think I am using a good baseline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right!!!   It all depends on your definition of comfortable
Yep

I make as much now as when I was working with way less expenses.

Its just nice to be able to go and spend $1k on guns and ammo ever month if I choose.

Problem is with 40 acres I spend a bit on mowers etc.

Best investment ever was a husquacarna weedeater. 

I can trim around each of our 4 ponds in 3 hours as compared to taking all day.

Saved a bunch by building a gas powered sprinkler systems that gets it water from the pond. It pumps 7k gallons a hour on half a gallon of gas.

I plan on digging another well just to use for my wife's garden.

Being a part time/hobbiest plumber we give the well guys work and he told me he can did me a 100' well for $3400.

Yea I know it's pretty boring stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh my ships sails are already up.

I retired early (45). We dont live to a 100 in my family and didnt want to spend my life "working" and killing myself, so juggled some things, live below my means, bout property that I can enjoy being on with elbow room and all the outdoorsy stuff I like to do right in my backyard.

That is why I said that these threads are always fun, they are rarely realistic. An average person simply isnt going to retire on millions no matter how much mac and cheese they live on, they'd have to have some crazy investments pan out....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did things go wrong?  Below average returns?  Cuts due to unexpected future expenses?

Where do you think you would be if your original goal was to have $600k?
View Quote
A few things went wrong. Some in my control, some not. I should haved save more than the $2000 per year that the IRS let you right off years ago before they finally raised the IRA contribution amounts. Second, I'm self employed so no matching 401K either.  Third, I could do a SEPP but you need a profit for that. Fourth, I live in NJ. These fuckers are the king of taxes. I have 2 small properties (house and shop) and I pay $11,000 a year in property tax.  And lastly, I got married and had a kid.  Those rug rats are expensive.  I also joined AFRCOM and this place can be expensive too LOL.

A few stock market crashes in my time didn't help either.  I'm making more money now and my wife contributes to her matching 401K so we will be okay but not where I wanted to be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a relative that didnt take my advice. They wanted a brand new truck, wanted to pay cash. I told her that there are incentives to use in-house financing, yada yada yada. Even the dealer was telling her to finance it for a couple months and then pay it off, said he could get her rebates , incentives, etc. She didnt listen and missed out on some opportunities and couldve gotten truck cheaper.
View Quote
it depends

are you buying a $32,000 pickup on 1.99% financing and leaving your $32,000 cash money in a stock fund?

or are you buying a $80,000 pickup on 1.99% financing and then taking a giant ass reaming on the vehicle depreciation and ignoring it because "debt is useful"

for most people, credit cards and car loans are the way they buy stuff they truly cannot afford and then end up with nothing after 40 years of working

most people buy a lot of stuff on credit that they truly cannot afford and they end up with nothing in the end.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep

I make as much now as when I was working with way less expenses.

Its just nice to be able to go and spend $1k on guns and ammo ever month if I choose.

Problem is with 40 acres I spend a bit on mowers etc.

----snip---
View Quote
Sounds like got it all figured out.
Congrats, hope you enjoy it for a very long time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

it depends

are you buying a $32,000 pickup on 1.99% financing and leaving your $32,000 cash money in a stock fund?

or are you buying a $80,000 pickup on 1.99% financing and then taking a giant ass reaming on the vehicle depreciation and ignoring it because "debt is useful"

for most people, credit cards and car loans are the way they buy stuff they truly cannot afford and then end up with nothing after 40 years of working

most people buy a lot of stuff on credit that they truly cannot afford and they end up with nothing in the end.  
View Quote
actually it was a dodge ram and If I remember correctly (this was back in 2012), there was like 0% or 0.9%, it didnt make sense for her to pay cash at all...And the dodge was the tradesman edition (no frills) so it was a 20k vehicle. She had no investments going.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This was my line of thinking when I started a ROTH IRA. However, as I learned more I realized the mistake. I still think taxes will have to go up before I retire but by going pre-tax you are saving at your marginal rate. With ROTH you are essentially doing the opposite and paying your marginal tax rate and then withdrawing at whatever you effective tax rate will be. So my marginal tax rate is 25%. Even if taxes go up they aren't going to go up that high for me since my "income" will be significantly less in retirement. However, I still contribute to it instead of switching to traditional contributions. Who knows what will or won't happen and being diversified is good. Plus I like that I can withdraw contributions to the ROTH penalty and tax free so it essentially doubles as a savings account. And if taxes get really wonky it might be nice to be able to draw some income with 0 taxes. And since I am maxing out the contribution for the IRA and paying taxes on it I am effectively investing more. Pre tax investments allow you to invest more than post tax investments since you can also invest the money saved on taxes. When you are maxing the contribution though the pre-tax investment will be taxed on withdrawal so even though you would have the same account balance with traditional and ROTH with $5500 invested one is actually worth more.

All of the different factors make it complicated to calculate a "best option." As I said, I like to be diversified so I have a pre-tax 401k, post-tax IRA, and a taxable brokerage account. I might be losing out on top dollar but I've got flexibility which is important to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did the same thing several years ago but it was for a side by side. It is a toy and not a necessary vehicle and I got all of the incentives available but if I had left that money in my brokerage account it would have doubled by now. Honestly though, I'd probably still buy it in cash today because I don't want to use debt to make buying toys easier. It is too easy to go "what is another $20/month lets go for the upgrade!" when I am buying something I want. Mathematically it is still the wrong choice though. If rates stay where they are now I will finance my next transportation vehicle. When it is something I need it easier to draw a line in the sand and then shop for something that fulfills my needs at that cost.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
its not that hard to accumulate a large retirement fund, you just need to invest something every month or even every week if you can swing it, even if its a small amount, whatever you can afford

for example worked at Exxon between 1980-84 and left with some stock worth about 4K then.  after reinvesting every dividend and buying a little more along the way its now approaching 200k.  just start accumulating some stuff that's going to be around a long time
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Click here
Use the drop down menu and click "How long will my money last"
Enter 1 million for saving at retirement
Enter 8% for "Annual return rate"
click "Calculate"
You will see that 7k/month (x12=84k/yr) will last 39.56 years. Close enough to 40 for me since I doubt I will make it into the 90s.
Hope this helps. I am getting near to retiring and I enjoy playing with the numbers myself.

BTW, there is a FNCalculator app for android. I find it interesting to randomly change the numbers to see what I get.
View Quote
Do you think that 8% is realistic?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
If going off past performance it isn't. Off the top of my head the historical average inflation is like 3.2% and the S&P500 with dividends reinvested is 10-11%. I personally use 5% for my projections to account for my asset allocation, fees, and the potential for a less than average performance. Even that might be optimistic so I also calculate with 4% and 7% to come up with a range of possibility.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. Over the long history of the stock market the average is right around 8%/yr. Of course some years were a complete bust but others years just blew it all away.
2008 was a black year for investing, think around 35% loss. I took a beating then but I made it all back and was money ahead within 3 years. Since then the gains have far outweighed the losses.
Here are some numbers to have a look at. Look around a bit and you will see even with the down turns the markets (S&P) always comes back, sometimes with a vengeance.
If your employer offers a 401k type account I would suggest going in to at least get maximum employer contributions. It is free money. Then you get the returns from both your contributions and theirs.
I am a federal employee so this is how we have been doing in the "C" fund (think S&P 500 index fund)
1 year 12.01%
3 year 8.95%
5 year 14.73%
10 year 7.0%
average since inception 10.16%
Anyway, it has been very good to me. It could do the same for you.

If you toss in inflation returns will be lower but what else you going to do with your money? Stuffing under the mattress and it actually loses value.

Come to think of it the % of gain vs. inflation is a technical question. The % increase is accurate but the value of the money decreases.
Yes to the % of gain, but buying power diminishes due to costs going up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#32]
A buddy of mine sent me this yesterday but I have not been able to really look at it.

http://www.firecalc.com

Sorry if already posted, could not look. Getting on a plane and had to hurry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes. Over the long history of the stock market the average is right around 8%/yr. Of course some years were a complete bust but others years just blew it all away.
2008 was a black year for investing, think around 35% loss. I took a beating then but I made it all back and was money ahead within 3 years. Since then the gains have far outweighed the losses.
Here are some numbers to have a look at. Look around a bit and you will see even with the down turns the markets (S&P) always comes back, sometimes with a vengeance.
If your employer offers a 401k type account I would suggest going in to at least get maximum employer contributions. It is free money. Then you get the returns from both your contributions and theirs.
I am a federal employee so this is how we have been doing in the "C" fund (think S&P 500 index fund)
1 year 12.01%
3 year 8.95%
5 year 14.73%
10 year 7.0%
average since inception 10.16%
Anyway, it has been very good to me. It could do the same for you.

If you toss in inflation returns will be lower but what else you going to do with your money? Stuffing under the mattress and it actually loses value.

Come to think of it the % of gain vs. inflation is a technical question. The % increase is accurate but the value of the money decreases.
Yes to the % of gain, but buying power diminishes due to costs going up.
View Quote
Including inflation allows you to look at the future value in today's dollar value. It doesn't matter if you end up with $2M when you retire if all that will buy is a new car. Also, I am pretty sure the 8% you are referencing is wrong for the S&P500. It should be 10-11%. I believe you might be referencing the gain without dividends.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Including inflation allows you to look at the future value in today's dollar value. It doesn't matter if you end up with $2M when you retire if all that will buy is a new car. Also, I am pretty sure the 8% you are referencing is wrong for the S&P500. It should be 10-11%. I believe you might be referencing the gain without dividends.
View Quote
Hmm... ok, I like your numbers better anyway..
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hmm... ok, I like your numbers better anyway..
View Quote
Just remember that most funds have overhead cost. I really like VOO because of it's .04% overhead. Many funds (especially actively managed funds) are eating closer to 1%.

I hope to see 10-11% as that means I will retire well off and earlier. The problem of course being that future performance might end up being 5% with 3% inflation or 12% with 8% inflation. Both of those would make life more difficult for me. On the other hand, if your numbers are dependent on 11% growth with 3% inflation for a bare minimum retirement - you'll be hurting badly if things go poorly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry Bub, but if you still have a HELOC, a car payment, student loans and the "works", then you are no where near retirement.  $1.8 million, with your spending habits, will not last you ten years.

The key is to be debt free.  If you have a "car payment" then you are doing it all wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT: Currently my wife and I could retire, today, with $1.8 million dollars and not change a single thing about our budget.  That would cover our mortgage, HELOC payment, car payment, student loan payments, daycare, the works.  Realistically we will need less as by the time we retire a lot of those things should be gone.

My illustration was to combat the idea that you need $4 million + to retire. 1.8 million would comfortably fund my life for the indefinite future even considering my current debt service. That would be $72,000 a year, forever (and indexed for inflation).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
$1.8mil in retirement money, but you still have a morgage AND a home equity loan? That doesn't make sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have $1.8 million, but if I did I could retire today if I wanted to even with my debt service. Once the HELOC is gone next spring I have no plans to retire my debt any earlier than I am contractually obligated to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Retirement accounts like IRAs and 401s are scams.

So you are gonna retire on 1990s-2000s dollars in what 2030?  That dollar will be worth 70 cents if you are lucky.  So not only are you losing money you are also gambling that the funds won't disappear like they did in the early 2000s and even worse in 2008.  Now I'm massively over simplifying for effect, but anyone who believes they can live a good life on an IRA or 401 is lieing to themselves.  A trust fund maybe, but an investment account GTFO.

Face the reality that YOU ALL WILL WORK TILL YOU DIE.  

You wanna retire or "not work"?  invest in shit where the investment returns actual capital aka make the money make the money.  Rental properties are an easy example, there are many many other ways too, some easier.
View Quote
If the dollar goes to shit, and isn't worth shit, why would you be accepting dollars that ain't worth shit, for rent? The property is gonna eat up your dollars that ain't worth shit, because those CapEx gonna cost lots of dollars that ain't worth shit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just remember that most funds have overhead cost. I really like VOO because of it's .04% overhead. Many funds (especially actively managed funds) are eating closer to 1%.

I hope to see 10-11% as that means I will retire well off and earlier. The problem of course being that future performance might end up being 5% with 3% inflation or 12% with 8% inflation. Both of those would make life more difficult for me. On the other hand, if your numbers are dependent on 11% growth with 3% inflation for a bare minimum retirement - you'll be hurting badly if things go poorly.
View Quote
Some funds are better than others. I am in the TSP, a 403B for federal employees split 60/40 C and S funds. Overhead is very low (.038%) but not a lot of flexibility.
I am using 8% and still have plenty of cushion. I doubt inflation will be high enough to eat into that. As it should play out my income will increase after retirement. 10%+ increase in disposable income at least.
However Miss Cleo will not return my calls so I do not know what the exact future numbers will be for the markets or inflation.

Miss Cleo link for the young'uns who have no idea who I am talking about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My goal is to build up to a $30k yearly withdrawal or a total of $750k as close to the age of 50 as I can. At that point I will consider retirement. Any more than that is just gravy on the top. Healthcare is my only concern but I expect we will finally come to our senses and go single payer by then and drastically cut costs. If not I might need to work part time for insurance until i qualify for medicare.
View Quote
You can work part-time as a TSA screener for $15/hr, and qualify for the same benefits such as healthcare, as the full-timers do.

I'm not gay, but cheap healthcare is cheap healthcare when I'm 60 and don't qualify for Medicare yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm poor, and I'll go elsewhere.

I will have a paid for house by then and my wife's and my monthly expenses is about $1k. Say $15k average a year to cover repairs and unexpected stuff.

Several million, are you serious?
View Quote
How is that even possible to have only $1k in monthly expenses for two people, even if your house is paid off? Our house appraised at $305k, is paid off, but property taxes are $7k a year.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How is that even possible to have only $1k in monthly expenses for two people, even if your house is paid off? Our house appraised at $305k, is paid off, but property taxes are $7k a year.
View Quote
Ouch. My property taxes are ~$1200/yr and I don't like paying that much.

In retirement I'll probably be paying that much or more though
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ouch. My property taxes are ~$1200/yr and I don't like paying that much.

In retirement I'll probably be paying that much or more though
View Quote
The city we live in is middle-upper class. We used to have great schools, but they started bussing in kids from low income areas to make it more fair.

We've considered moving, because literally across the street, is a township. A $300k house pays $3k~ in property taxes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I am retired. No debt. Own my house and two cars. Have to pay health insurance, car and home insurance, income tax, property tax, and my largest expense is 1% to my stock broker, and well worth it. After that, the rest is for me. Very very expensive to retire. Gets more expensive every year. Save your money....lots of it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Figure out how your anticipated cashflow (how much you will spend per month), multiply that amount by the amount of months you anticipate living and add a few for contingency.  Add any debts you will have on your retirement day. That's the number you need to have.  Then you have to invest it wisely with the hope of consistently beating inflation (and no, you can't count on getting 25% per year now or then).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Invest intelligently. Start early and max out your IRA.

On mobile so I can't hotlink.
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/roth-ira-plan-calculator.aspx

Maxing out a Roth with a normal rate of return starting early will get you into the millions bracket. 7-10% rate of return while maxing out annually will safely net you 2-4 million if you start at 18 and retire at 65 depending on if you go Roth or traditional. Put it into a steady growth ETF or an index that mimics the S&P 500.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maxing out a Roth with a normal rate of return starting early will get you into the millions bracket. 7-10% rate of return while maxing out annually will safely net you 2-4 million if you start at 18 and retire at 65 depending on if you go Roth or traditional. Put it into a steady growth ETF or an index that mimics the S&P 500.
View Quote
Right, they *could* do that but then how do they afford the new Mustang and iPhone? 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Some of this is like reading the budget plan for an Illinois union pension fund.

Yeah, it's easy if returns are 8%. Easier if they are 12%. Why not assume more? 

The real riskless rate of return in this world is way less than many assume they can earn in retirement. If you assume a greater rate of return then you necessarily plan to take on risk, and a higher assumed return implies higher risk. This is non-diversifiable risk. You can't avoid it. That risk means the $1 million nut could drop to a lot less in short order. What then? 

People are setting themselves up for disaster with these crazy return assumptions. More practical is this: unless you are sitting on several million liquid with no debt, keep working as long as health allows. The idea that the economy can generate large real returns while a significant portion of the population enjoys decades of doing nothing is not stable. Yes, many were promised the chance to spend a good part of their lives in retirement funded by someone else. That was a terrible idea. The cost of it is far from being truly realized. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And one divorce after 20 years of marriage can wipe that out faster then a hooker can clean a line of coke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some of this is like reading the budget plan for an Illinois union pension fund.

Yeah, it's easy if returns are 8%. Easier if they are 12%. Why not assume more? 

The real riskless rate of return in this world is way less than many assume they can earn in retirement. If you assume a greater rate of return then you necessarily plan to take on risk, and a higher assumed return implies higher risk. This is non-diversifiable risk. You can't avoid it. That risk means the $1 million nut could drop to a lot less in short order. What then? 

People are setting themselves up for disaster with these crazy return assumptions. More practical is this: unless you are sitting on several million liquid with no debt, keep working as long as health allows. The idea that the economy can generate large real returns while a significant portion of the population enjoys decades of doing nothing is not stable. Yes, many were promised the chance to spend a good part of their lives in retirement funded by someone else. That was a terrible idea. The cost of it is far from being truly realized. 
View Quote
+1...find me 8% with zero risk and Im all in......
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top