Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

nobody delivers Sudafed by the case anymore
View Quote
that's funny lol

i covered WV for 5 years when i was a drug rep many, many years ago, the shit i have seen and smelled 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
1-2 car lengths max.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what you are talking about.

My wife got a flat tire. Put the donut on and had to drive slowly to the tire place. People behind are furious at us..even when they were clear to pass, they were mad.

People were riding our butt so close, I am not sure how they did not hit us. Some would see the small donut tire on the left front when they passed, but most just flipped the bird and roared off.

Then we stopped at a stop sign. It was a 4 way stop and it was my turn to go. I turned left and a guy coming from my right blew the stop sign as he went straight. As I turned he flew right out in front of me. I hit the brakes to keep from hitting him.

He took offense and just stopped and sat there. I immediately went around him on the right. He then passed me on a double yellow line as we were in a small town with a 25mph zone.

Once he got around me, he stopped in the middle of the street so I started around him on the right again and he pulled over and I went around on the left and stopped by his window.

I told him I was calling the police, go ahead and continue to be an asshole. He then passed me again and stopped and I passed him on the right and kept going, he turned left.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, sometimes being a trolly douche is in your blood...

I'm betting this "taking your sweet ass time" is done in the far left lane. Am I right? 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Your commute is half what mine is.  I rarely get stop and go traffic though unless there is a wreck or some other fluke thing.

For the most part, I agree with what you are saying and nothing you are doing would piss me off, certainly not the extent of waving arms and cussing.  With the exception of other cars filling the gap.  I think it's already been mentioned, but if the dynamic of the traffic and your driving habits are causing for large gaps ahead of you that are constantly being filled by other cars that come up from behind, that is a problem and you need to speed up.  One or two cars jump in, no big deal.  Constantly happening over several miles, big deal.  I doubt that is happening though, because like you, I know how people in traffic act in general these days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know what you are talking about.

My wife got a flat tire. Put the donut on and had to drive slowly to the tire place. People behind are furious at us..even when they were clear to pass, they were mad.

People were riding our butt so close, I am not sure how they did not hit us. Some would see the small donut tire on the left front when they passed, but most just flipped the bird and roared off.
View Quote
So you were going slow on a highway or freeway because of a donut tire?  How slow are we talking?  10 MPH less than everyone else or more?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is an ignorant statement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Passive-aggressive driving =/= defensive driving OP.  You are a passive aggressive driver.
Please explain
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ive been driving in traffic for a long time now, many years. I spend somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours of my day in traffic. Four lane wide, 6 mph to 11 mph type of traffic. My body has given up on caring how fast i get to work. Ill get there when i get there and there is no point in worrying or trying to rush my way through to get there. Ive learned to just sit back, relax, chill out to audible and mentally prepare for the day.

Ive learned instead of riding everyone's ass in traffic, just to give myself a a wide berth with the person in front of me. Shocker i know, what a rebel . That way if a sudden stop comes up or people want to cut me off, ive got plenty of room. Like 3-4 car lengths atleast. Since all four lanes arent going any faster than the others, who gives a shit anyways, right?

Holy jesus, i might as well be riding around with a Nazi and confederate flag flying on my commuter car. This little concept ENRAGES the fuck out of people. I used to get upset, like, come on man, its not a race, ill pass you in 5 mins anyways. Now, after a few years, i get pleasure from it. Almost everyday this week ive looked in my rear view mirror to see this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving-1-258501.JPG

Which makes me laugh, out loud, like a mad man as i watch them with maniacal fascination. They are just screaming at their windshield. Pounding on their steering wheel. They are ready to murder with extreme prejudice. Since both lanes arent moving any faster and we are moving at a 4 mph pace, they have no other choice but to look at my 4 car lengths in front of me and envision a world where they are 4 car lengths closer to their destination. Sometimes ill even slow down MORE. We've got 10 more miles at 4.5 mph buddy, better get strapped into that pretty hate machine youre piloting.

Sometimes they will get lucky. They will change lanes and get to pull up next to me and i get this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving2-258503.JPG

Now, my commuter car is small and shitty. So maybe these people think they are going to pull up next to me and scare me? Yell obscenities at me to make me feel bad? I dont think they expect to get me looking back with a big ass smile and a wave. A big, bearded dude, with bunch of scars on his face, smiling like an idiot never breaking eye contact. The situation deescalates very quickly.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/95eb7519d13e4bfea542b2e1b8e19f1b/tumblr_njqh4fq4lU1tdy0nco1_500.gif

So, traffic is actually entertaining sometimes.
View Quote
I don't get to much of that.  But every once in a while I will be puttering down my road to work doing the speed limit and fake blond haird wild boar in her SUV will ride my bumper.. there is really only two problems with that.

1)my daily driver is a 3/4ton diesel truck.. that I leave the ball in the hitch just for idiots like her

2)when pressed, I'm an asshole

three clicks on the cruise control and I'm now doing 5 under, laughing my ass off at the enormous wad of blubbery hate physically wrapping itself around the steering wheel silently running its mouth. Sometimes there is a finger, sometimes not. 

Its a great way to enjoy the morning. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive without getting on anyone's ass and I think ahead so that it's not often necessary to hit my brakes in situations where the, "got to get ahead," types would.  Often the most aggressive drivers will take multiple chances within my sight that could result in accidents having gained 5-10 seconds over my pace.  Idiots are everywhere on the highway.  As for road rage, I'm prepared with various levels of force as the situation dictates.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
You may not have anywhere to go at any particular time, BUT you are not the only person on the road.
If you are backing up traffic or otherwise disrupting the flow, you can become the hazard.
Go with it and watch out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Op, what's your commute time one way? And are you going into the heart of DC? I've been debating going the WV route for a little while to get more land, space, less assholes, and being able to find houses that aren't 1500 sq ft and $500k+
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If everyone on the road was driving like you (patient and giving room) the whole lot of traffic would be moving faster and more efficiently.  I don't know why more people don't see it.
View Quote

Because there are those that just don't think things through, and also when people get behind the wheel of a vehicle, they become king of their own world.  They act a way that they would never do while walking down the sidewalk, else they would get their ass beat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Op, what's your commute time one way? And are you going into the heart of DC? I've been debating going the WV route for a little while to get more land, space, less assholes, and being able to find houses that aren't 1500 sq ft and $500k+
View Quote
I dont dont go into the heart of DC anymore. Now im just outside the beltway. My current drive is:

1 hour, 9 minutes on off days, friday mornings, or holidays.

1 hour, 20 minutes average.

1 hours 45 minutes on rough days.

I USED to drive into the heart of DC up until a year ago. I would leave my house at 5:20am and usually get onto K st or Mass ave (depending on where i was going that day) around 7:10 or 7:20 am. If there was no Traffic that morning, 6:45am.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I try to leave several car lengths between me and the guy in front.
View Quote
At 4mph, you leave several car lengths?  Are you driving a tandem UPS truck fully loaded?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If everyone in that picture left a 4 car length in front of them while they drove, there wouldn't be a traffic jam in the first place.
View Quote
My point exactly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You know what is really fun?  Seeing a light turn yellow and red, and COASTING to the light.  God that makes people mad.  The horror.  They want to go 78 MPH until they have to jam on their brakes, like somehow in their tiny little brains they actually believe that THIS time all the cars in front of them will either magically evaporate or just instantaneously accelerate to 75 MPH.
View Quote

This is the one that reminds me just how stupid the average person is.  My favorite is when they beat me to the light, by a long time, and I just happen to coast right past them after the light turns green and the line of cars has started moving, having never touched my brakes.  You can see the light is red from a long way off, lots of cars are already there stopped, many of the lights on my commute are timed and very predictable based on what traffic is moving in the intersection, yet this time, it will be different. LOL.

I wish I could happen to chat with some of them one day and ask if they walk/run/ride a bike like that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Please explain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Passive-aggressive driving =/= defensive driving OP.  You are a passive aggressive driver.
Please explain
He's not projecting anger at people who aren't related to frustration with some other person or situation.  He's simply driving in a more relaxed manner than the truly passive-aggressive (or purely aggressive) drivers out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The events are probably largely true but consider the perspective of the authors.

For example, nobody alive in Noah's time, or quite some time after, could honestly say there was a world-wide flood because nobody knew enough about the world. The authors attribute the flood to God but didn't understand the mechanics of rainfall. There may well have been a cataclysmic flood but given people's limited knowledge they could only default to magic for an explanation. If such a flood occurred today think how many people would argue that global warming caused it.

I really don't see science as refuting God. God is a spiritual concept and science simply does not address spiritual matters. People want to present "miracles" as evidence but if you are a believer, evidence is irrelevant. Spirituality does not require evidence.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The events are probably largely true but consider the perspective of the authors.

For example, nobody alive in Noah's time, or quite some time after, could honestly say there was a world-wide flood because nobody knew enough about the world. The authors attribute the flood to God but didn't understand the mechanics of rainfall. There may well have been a cataclysmic flood but given people's limited knowledge they could only default to magic for an explanation. If such a flood occurred today think how many people would argue that global warming caused it.

I really don't see science as refuting God. God is a spiritual concept and science simply does not address spiritual matters. People want to present "miracles" as evidence but if you are a believer, evidence is irrelevant. Spirituality does not require evidence.
View Quote
Dude, you're on the wrong page.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ive been driving in traffic for a long time now, many years. I spend somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours of my day in traffic. Four lane wide, 6 mph to 11 mph type of traffic. My body has given up on caring how fast i get to work. Ill get there when i get there and there is no point in worrying or trying to rush my way through to get there. Ive learned to just sit back, relax, chill out to audible and mentally prepare for the day.

Ive learned instead of riding everyone's ass in traffic, just to give myself a a wide berth with the person in front of me. Shocker i know, what a rebel . That way if a sudden stop comes up or people want to cut me off, ive got plenty of room. Like 3-4 car lengths atleast. Since all four lanes arent going any faster than the others, who gives a shit anyways, right?

Holy jesus, i might as well be riding around with a Nazi and confederate flag flying on my commuter car. This little concept ENRAGES the fuck out of people. I used to get upset, like, come on man, its not a race, ill pass you in 5 mins anyways. Now, after a few years, i get pleasure from it. Almost everyday this week ive looked in my rear view mirror to see this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving-1-258501.JPG

Which makes me laugh, out loud, like a mad man as i watch them with maniacal fascination. They are just screaming at their windshield. Pounding on their steering wheel. They are ready to murder with extreme prejudice. Since both lanes arent moving any faster and we are moving at a 4 mph pace, they have no other choice but to look at my 4 car lengths in front of me and envision a world where they are 4 car lengths closer to their destination. Sometimes ill even slow down MORE. We've got 10 more miles at 4.5 mph buddy, better get strapped into that pretty hate machine youre piloting.

Sometimes they will get lucky. They will change lanes and get to pull up next to me and i get this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving2-258503.JPG

Now, my commuter car is small and shitty. So maybe these people think they are going to pull up next to me and scare me? Yell obscenities at me to make me feel bad? I dont think they expect to get me looking back with a big ass smile and a wave. A big, bearded dude, with bunch of scars on his face, smiling like an idiot never breaking eye contact. The situation deescalates very quickly.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/95eb7519d13e4bfea542b2e1b8e19f1b/tumblr_njqh4fq4lU1tdy0nco1_500.gif

So, traffic is actually entertaining sometimes.
View Quote

Highly agree with bold above^.

I always expect the other driver to do something stupid. That mindset has kept me out of a lot of wrecks.

ETA: I commute daily in Atlanta.
Father, continue to bless me and protect me. In Jesus name. Amen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What you're describing leans distinctly toward the passive-aggressive side rather than defensive. 
View Quote
I concur
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
This gets exceptionally more frosting when I'm towing 20 to 30k worth of equipment and trailer.  I leave space in front on case i have to brake but people are always cutting me off making me slow down more to leave more space... It's a vicious cycle but at least i have the option of filling their car with soot as i pass them again...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting.

I never thought of using this logic towards traffic situations.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet you are one of those assholes who actually pulls over and stops for emergency vehicles too, instead of what you should actually do.  Which is pull slightly over towards the shoulder (only a few inches), and maintain full speed and pace the vehicle.  Oh and block that off ramp while you are at it.

How do you sleep at night.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
One nice thing about this thread is I've learned there's some reason for riding my ass. A stupid one, but a reason nonetheless. All this time I thought they were just being assholes when all they are doing is trying to alleviate traffic jams. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I like to leave some room between me and the car in front of me, but if you can fit a semi truck in the gap, you are fucking everyone in line behind you because a bunch of people pull in to fill that void. If I understand you correctly, you would then slow down to maintain your gap, and your lane slows down more than necessary.

In my eyes, you are being just as big an asshole as the lane hoppers.

Do you go slow in the passing lane too?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not the OP, but that was the rationale I used when told future paychecks would be coming from 1st & C, NW back in the 90's.  Looked at the train lines & saw where MARC had stops in WV. Found 1.5 acre place in Jefferson county & would generally catch the train in Harpers Ferry.  Did the daily commute for 17+ years & only drove in a hand full of times.   About 2 hrs door to door going in & 1 1/2 hours coming home (on the train, assuming no issues).  

Nick
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When the car in front of me leaves a gap in front of him, then people from the sides will fill in that gap, putting him, me, and everyone behind us even farther back in line.  He'll slow down even further to open the gap back up, whereupon more cars come in from the sides to fill in the gap.  I'm okay with him not riding the bumper of the car in front of him, just as I try my damndest to not ride HIS bumper.  But when there's a steady stream of cars passing us both up, I tend to get annoyed.  Keep the fuck up with traffic is all I'm asking!
View Quote
100% this.  It all cascades backwards, over and over and that is what eventually leads to outright standstills.  Leaving a big ass gap in front of you is a dick move.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm the same way OP. Definitely understand and appreciate your perspective. I never understood riding someone's ass in stop and go, snail's pace traffic. The only thing that ever comes of it are collisions; and then heavier traffic.

It's moronic. If everyone would leave some room the traffic would actually move MUCH more smoothly. But, my main reason for driving like you is mitigating the risk of all the idiots on the road ruining my day. It's not that I'm worried about being caught off guard and rear-ending someone. It's the moron ass-riders behind me that I'm concerned with. Whenever people in front start slamming on the breaks, the first thing I do as I tap my own, and look in my rear view mirror. I want to make sure the idiots behind me are paying attention so I don't get rear ended. It's saved me from a major headache on numerous occasions. Leaving a few car lengths is enough for me to aggressively tap the breaks to wake up the dumbasses behind me, but then to let off a little so they don't plow into me. Couple times I've even had to head for the shoulder when the top tier idiots clearly risked hitting me because they weren't paying attention.

In today's society, defensive driving is a must.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bet you are one of those assholes who actually pulls over and stops for emergency vehicles too, instead of what you should actually do.  Which is pull slightly over towards the shoulder (only a few inches), and maintain full speed and pace the vehicle.  Oh and block that off ramp while you are at it.

How do you sleep at night.
View Quote
Do you pace them as you approach an intersection when you have a green light?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He's not projecting anger at people who aren't related to frustration with some other person or situation.  He's simply driving in a more relaxed manner than the truly passive-aggressive (or purely aggressive) drivers out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain
He isn't just driving relaxed.  If he were we wouldn't even see his post because he wouldn't care.  He admits his driving style is pissing other people off and derives pleasure from it.  That is passive aggression.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top