Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2017 9:44:52 AM EDT
New law in California. If a warrant is issued for your arrest for an prohibiting misdemeanor or felony, it's illegal for you to even own a firearm or ammunition. No conviction necessary. Does not matter if you did or did not commit the offense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you were arrested, (the warrant served), how would you be expected to know you had a warrant out for you?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you were arrested, (the warrant served), how would you be expected to know you had a warrant out for you?
View Quote
They mail you a courtesy notice. Not that the state cares about such details. The goal is to make as many people prohibited persons as possible.

Limit the types of guns that can be owned and limit the people that can own them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Good God, I'm glad I moved away from that defecation hole.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They mail you a courtesy notice. Not that the state cares about such details. The goal is to make as many people prohibited persons as possible.

Limit the types of guns that can be owned and limit the people that can own them.
View Quote
So, Kommiefornia continues to greedily lick it's own hemorrhoids in an effort to glean that last remaining miniscule speck of shit...is that what I'm getting here?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is one of the worst gun laws they have passed. Victims of identity theft will be arrested for simply owning firearms.

At the same time they are going to eliminate the 10-year sentencing enhancement for gun crimes in order to release more democratic voters from prison.

Plus SCOTUS refused to hear our CCW case
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a stupid law and arguably constitutional infringement, but it's not THAT bad.  If you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest, chances are you shouldn't be trusted with a gun anyway.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
With how often courts fuck up paperwork that's just fucking crazy
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, Kommiefornia continues to greedily lick it's own hemorrhoids in an effort to glean that last remaining miniscule speck of shit...is that what I'm getting here?
View Quote
Oh, it doesn't matter where the warrant is issued either. So a Nevada native with a 20-year old warrant for a bar fight in Florida could be arrested for a felony if he steps foot into California and owns a firearm. It's not required that the firearm. E in his possession. Only that he owns one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a stupid law and arguably constitutional infringement, but it's not THAT bad.  If you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest, chances are you shouldn't be trusted with a gun anyway.
View Quote
Jesus fucking Christ

I hope you get a speeding ticket that you take care of, then the court fucks up your shit so you have a bench warrant for your name so you can see how fucking dumb this is, or that you get a case of mistaken identity
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're absolutely right.  God knows cops and prosecutors never ever make mistakes.  The whole innocent until proven guilty thing really needs to go away.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Jesus fucking Christ

I hope you get a speeding ticket that you take care of, then the court fucks up your shit so you have a bench warrant for your name so you can see how fucking dumb this is, or that you get a case of mistaken identity
View Quote
You forgot Step 1: Demonstrate CHL and get out of ticket.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice little surcharge or up-charge they got going there....money in the bank....then charged with that "gun crime" they can take away your rights forever...eh? is that their plan?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to leave Texas and move to Ca.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're absolutely right.  God knows cops and prosecutors never ever make mistakes.  The whole innocent until proven guilty thing really needs to go away.
View Quote
Somebody at the library makes a mistake and turns an overdue book fine into the coppers...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you don't see how this can end up screwing even your perfect little self then I got nothing

Of course assuming you were in cali

The courts fuck up all the time. All it takes is one slip on their end and youre now being arrested for their own fuck up, oh and its a felony now
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
New law in California. If a warrant is issued for your arrest for an prohibiting misdemeanor or felony, it's illegal for you to even own a firearm or ammunition. No conviction necessary. Does not matter if you did or did not commit the offense.
View Quote
DV is only prohibiting misdeamenor right? So now judges no longer make the call?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The list of prohibiting offenses includes misdemeanors. It's very bad. A person is being deprived of their right to self defense and property rights without having ever been convicted of a crime.

Getting your firearms returned after clearing it up is a very complicated process that cost money and is run by the DOJ. You gotta prove the guns belong to you. DOJ own registration records are not proof. Neither is that you turned them into the police. Basically you need receipts for every gun you want back
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember walking into a gunshop in Santa Fe when I was a teenager and seeing 7.62mm tracer rounds for sale.  As a then-Californian, I was in awe.  Oh, and you could legally buy a select fire weapon, too...

I ended up moving to rural eastern NM a year or so later and couldn't have been happier.  Even though I love Idaho and our solid conservative majority (although our state Republican reps are lacking in many ways), I miss my old stomping grounds in NM (my wife refers to it as "The Land Of Entrapment").  Someday, I'm buying a vacation home there to get away from our long winters.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Jesus Christ.

Let California, California.  The chances of one of you upright, gun-toting, second-amendment country bumpkins getting a false warrant for your arrest is zero to none.  Get a fucking grip.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice little surcharge or up-charge they got going there....money in the bank....then charged with that "gun crime" they can take away your rights forever...eh? is that their plan?
View Quote
Yes. Two prong approach; limit the types of guns that can be owned then limit who can own them.

Registration makes enforcing this new law easy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Getting your firearms returned after clearing it up is a very complicated process that cost money and is run by the DOJ. You gotta prove the guns belong to you. DOJ own registration records are not proof. Neither is that you turned them into the police. Basically you need receipts for every gun you want back
View Quote
Well, yeah.  You don't keep your gun receipts or do you straw-purchase every gun you have?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

Let California, California.  The chances of one of you upright, gun-toting, second-amendment country bumpkins getting a false warrant for your arrest is zero to none.  Get a fucking grip.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
wow
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got a weekend for failure to appear during college, after deciding midterms was more important than endless appearances over a nothingburger case. The Misdemeanor case against me was eventually dropped
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I doubt that stands up in court, even the 9th circuit would probably get that one right.  Those scumbags running CA really ought to be tarred and feathered.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

wow
View Quote
I'm 9 out of 9 with this practice.  Tell me I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#27]
And what class will this disproportionately effect?  The poor and who are disproportionately poor in the USA?  More leftist racist laws!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
DV is only prohibiting misdeamenor right? So now judges no longer make the call?
View Quote
No. The list of prohibiting offenses is huge and they add to it every year. Brown vetoed a law that would have made DUI a prohibiting offense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got a weekend for failure to appear during college, after deciding midterms. Misdemeanor case against me was eventually dropped
View Quote
...and were you carrying?  What was the crime? Public Intox?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
As someone who used to review warrants before they were submitted to judges (and I only ever saw one come back not granted), your post is terrible.

This is clearly unconstitutional. I can't even see the 9th upholding this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Oh, it doesn't matter where the warrant is issued either. So a Nevada native with a 20-year old warrant for a bar fight in Florida could be arrested for a felony if he steps foot into California and owns a firearm. It's not required that the firearm. E in his possession. Only that he owns one.
View Quote
I assumed DROS was the method for CA residents, how would they know for NV, CCW?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, yeah.  You don't keep your gun receipts or do you straw-purchase every gun you have?
View Quote
No, I do not have the original receipts to the guns I inherited from my grandfather or received as gifts from relatives when I was a child.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And what class will this disproportionately effect?  The poor and who are disproportionately poor in the USA?  More leftist racist laws!
View Quote
I know a hgue anti gun guy in my area.

Went to school with his kid. Few years after HS the kid did a bunch of pills and suck started a mosin.

This guy will blatantly say how poor people have no right to own a weapon and they should be regulated with heavy taxes, insurance, registration and this and that.

He says poor people are not attached to society enough to own a weapon
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm 9 out of 9 with this practice.  Tell me I'm wrong?
View Quote
You are wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are not tracking...

It wouldn't matter if he was carrying as ownership is equal to possession in the new law. If he ever registered a gun in any state ownership is established.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh well.  At least my trolling kept this thread at the top

ETA: IT'S UNCONSTITUTIONAL! BURN THIS MF'ER DOWN!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
"chances are"?   Chances are that's a pretty stupid statement.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know a hgue anti gun guy in my area.

Went to school with his kid. Few years after HS the kid did a bunch of pills and suck started a mosin.

This guy will blatantly say how poor people have no right to own a weapon and they should be regulated with heavy taxes, insurance, registration and this and that.

He says poor people are not attached to society enough to own a weapon
View Quote
Just funny how much the dems and leftist act like they care about the poor but in reality they fucking hate them.  They may not express this hate outright but their policies and laws they pass explain it all.  Just like gun control was all started to keep poor and blacks from having guns.  NFA $200 stamp was a lot of money when they first started and prevented poor people from owning machine-guns, suppressors, and short barreled rifles\shotguns.  We need to start calling this shit for what it is war on the poor and racist.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
May your chains rest lightly -edited-.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think you get it man

It doesn't matter if you did anything wrong or not

You can be 100% legal and the dough dick at the court house fat fingered the name of someone else and accidentally pulls your name up for a warrant.

You get tagged driving down to a simple job that obviously doesn't require a lot of critical thinking and boom, that little permit you have, means fuck, and you now are arrested for a felony, and you did nothing wrong
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Fuck them and their tyranny.  What happens if you are not convicted of the crime, will you ever see your guns returned, undamaged?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tresspass
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
How would they know you own a gun?  Everyone knows there is no such thing as registration and "they" don't keep copies of 4473s.

(Sarcasm intended)
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just funny how much the dems and leftist act like they care about the poor but in reality they fucking hate them.  They may not express this hate outright but their policies and laws they pass explain it all.  Just like gun control was all started to keep poor and blacks from having guns.  NFA $200 stamp was a lot of money when they first started and prevented poor people from owning machine-guns, suppressors, and short barreled rifles\shotguns.  We need to start calling this shit for what it is war on the poor and racist.
View Quote
It felt really good when I got him to admit that in a public forum
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fuck them and their tyranny.  What happens if you are not convicted of the crime, will you ever see your guns returned, undamaged?
View Quote
If you turned them in you would follow the LEGR process to get them back.

If you were arrested for owning them after the warrant was issued, you would be convicted of that felony. That you were not guilty of the offense that the warrant was for doesn't matter
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tresspass
View Quote
Ahhh..... shenanigans
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ.

View Quote
Know how I know you don't care about your freedoms? You are either a troll, concerned, or are quite stupid. In any case, this is the last post of yours I read.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#50]
And I thought you were innocent until proven guilty.  Silly me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top