Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/29/2017 9:31:52 AM EDT
Every year they come out with dumber new rules. It's like they hate themselves so much thay they try to convince their fans to hate them too by making it suck more each year. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean a new set of rules every year for an international Shooting organization isn't healthy?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Because its for people that want to pretend to do competition shooting but actually just want to wear retarded fishing vests and be told exactly what and how to shoot since they cant figure out a course of fire for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because its for people that want to pretend to do competition shooting but actually just want to wear retarded fishing vests and be told exactly what and how to shoot since they cant figure out a course of fire for themselves.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the best summations of IDPA yet! Nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I liked it better when everyone wore the retarded fishing vests.

Now its a bunch of dudes with "professional" shirts and shit taking it way too seriously
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not only does this post nail it, it destroys it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Last one I went to was being run by a bunch of rule Nazi's.  Apparently, when the range master tells you you can load to capacity for the final string, they mean load to a max of 10 rounds.  They also don't appreciate being told that I don't give a shit about their rules, I'm just here to have a little fun and practice with my gear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't like those fancy beers anyways
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
pretty much this...

I had one RO tell me that since I was shooting a .45 (M&P) I HAD to download and shoot CDP instead of SSP.

Haven't been to an IDPA match in years, but I'll shoot a few 2/3 gun matches a year.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly I am thinking of avoiding all IDPA matches and sticking to USPSA from now on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I never wore a fishing vest. I always giggled about USPSA because after the first couple of shooters everyone seems to run it the same especially after practicing their choreography and counting their footsteps for the stage after each shooter so they have it down pat by the time they actually shoot it themselves. That said IDPA has been getting dumber every year. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]
What if I wear a Hawaiian shirt for a cover?  The rules are pretty odd and shooting stuff on the move using cover is still fun.   And running thru a couple club shoots a month is still fun trigger time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
meh. It's a game. Games have rules. Sometimes the rules are stupid. Sometimes people get so obsessed by the rules that they lose sight of the game. The game stops being fun. People then go find a new game.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I stopped shooting IDPA years ago. It's the HOA of shooting sports.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I stopped shooting IDPA years ago. It's the HOA of shooting sports.
View Quote
True
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
meh. It's a game. Games have rules. Sometimes the rules are stupid. Sometimes people get so obsessed by the rules that they lose sight of the game. The game stops being fun. People then go find a new game.
View Quote
That's where I'm at. The original rules made sense, basic rules of defensive shooting. Now they are so overthought and ridiculous that it makes they have nothing better to do. Now therd are new targets and scoring rules that are just stupid. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  They're all games and all subject to gaming.  I help introduce IDPA to my club 15, 20 years ago.  Even then the rules could be a little wonky.  I have yet to figure out tactical reload with retention.  I now shoot maybe one match a year.  

In my experience USPA. IPSC whatever it's called isn't any better.  Different, yes, but it has it's share of quirks as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've only been to one IDPA match and this was my impression as well! Nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
fuck IDPA

find a USPSA IPSC match

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#22]
The silk shirts are gayer than the front row at a barbara streisand concert.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I liked it better when everyone wore the retarded fishing vests.

Now its a bunch of dudes with "professional" shirts and shit taking it way too seriously
View Quote
I love my "professional" shirt during the hot months. Nothing like being dry and comfortable during a match.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
What if I wear a Hawaiian shirt for a cover? The rules are pretty odd and shooting stuff on the move using cover is still fun. And running thru a couple club shoots a month is still fun trigger time.
View Quote
The guys I shoot with a shirt is fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#25]
IDPA does seem to let the weenies rise to the top.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
fuck IDPA

find a USPSA IPSC match

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-4064-241165.JPG
View Quote
Good luck with that. Most places there is 1 USPSA match and 5 IPDA matches a month.

As to the rules........IDPA is run by a bunch of women and old fat guys who DQ at inspection more than they don't.  Once you figure this out and understand that they don't want you Expert+ level shooters unless you've got boobs you'll have a much better time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]
It wouldn't be too bad if they only stayed at IDPA matches...

few years ago i competed in a three gun competition that had safety officers at the stages that were well-known local IDPA guys.  I was at a shotgun/pistol stage  where you start with a shotgun and once clearing targets move to pistol.  You were supposed to ground the shotgun once empty on a cheap plastic bench before moving to the steel pepper poppers With pistol.

about 2-3  Clay pigeons into the first part of the stage my shotgun becomes hopelessly jammed up with a shell wedged on the feed ramp.  The gun has the breach open, shell jammed in awkward position, I can't get it out and is nowhere near to having a loaded shell in the chamber. The slide is to the rear so I ground the shotgun on the table in a safe direction and calmly move to the pistol part to  try and salvage the stage.  

Once I had shown clear on the pistol, the safety officer told me he was going to DQ me...

Luckily for me the owner of the range was standing close by and Simply rolled his eyes when I explained the situation and told me to proceed to the next stage and have a good day 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#28]
What happened now? I thought the 2017 fault lines and the reloading on the move, and ability to re-engage targets was an improvement.

But yeah it's still super Fudd-ish compared to USPSA but I still shoot both because the props are usually more elaborate and fun in IDPA.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Like he said above. It's a fucking game. With rules.

It's trigger time with better COF than I can set up on my own.

If you want quality handgun training you will have to find it elsewhere, just use the games for what they are.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
fuck IDPA

find a USPSA IPSC match

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-4064-241165.JPG
View Quote
I did USPSA once and maybe it was run a bit in favor of the usual shooters in that they had new shooters lead off every stage and had the experienced shooters go last. That allowed them to rehearse every step of their run. They also explained the classes to me incorrectly and I was using downloaded mags instead of full capacity. It seemed like it was set up to let the regulars beat the fuck out of the newer shooters. I did OK, somewhere in the middle score wise but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I may try it again though, I have a G35 that needs to be shot more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Frim what I have seen yes they do hate themeselves. 

I recently watched a match and asked some guys if it was fun. They all said no, too many rules.

I asked why they did it and they said they were masochists and it was trigger time.

I prefer 3 gun. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]
iDPA started going downhill when Joyce Wilson took over, and it's hopeless now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Like he said above. It's a fucking game. With rules.

It's trigger time with better COF than I can set up on my own.

If you want quality handgun training you will have to find it elsewhere, just use the games for what they are.
View Quote
Never considered it training, although I know plenty seem to think it is. Any competition is a way of measuring how well your training or practice is paying off. Ultimately you're always competing against yourself to top what you did the last time. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I used to shoot KPDL.  Local practical defense based pistol comp.  Was tons of fun, no one did anything stupid.

Then new people started joining.  Pretty soon it was new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule.

That was when I quit.  Shame because it was amazing SD training.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be too bad if they only stayed at IDPA matches...

few years ago i competed in a three gun competition that had safety officers at the stages that were well-known local IDPA guys.  I was at a shotgun/pistol stage  where you start with a shotgun and once clearing targets move to pistol.  You were supposed to ground the shotgun once empty on a cheap plastic bench before moving to the steel pepper poppers With pistol.

about 2-3  Clay pigeons into the first part of the stage my shotgun becomes hopelessly jammed up with a shell wedged on the feed ramp.  The gun has the breach open, shell jammed in awkward position, I can't get it out and is nowhere near to having a loaded shell in the chamber. The slide is to the rear so I ground the shotgun on the table in a safe direction and calmly move to the pistol part to  try and salvage the stage.  

Once I had shown clear on the pistol, the safety officer told me he was going to DQ me...

Luckily for me the owner of the range was standing close by and Simply rolled his eyes when I explained the situation and told me to proceed to the next stage and have a good day 
View Quote
Pretty sure you can ground a loaded shotgun, as long as the safety is on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I did USPSA once and maybe it was run a bit in favor of the usual shooters in that they had new shooters lead off every stage and had the experienced shooters go last. That allowed them to rehearse every step of their run. They also explained the classes to me incorrectly and I was using downloaded mags instead of full capacity. It seemed like it was set up to let the regulars beat the fuck out of the newer shooters. I did OK, somewhere in the middle score wise but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I may try it again though, I have a G35 that needs to be shot more.
View Quote
That is...weird.

Experienced shooters are usually in a higher class than a new one. Sometimes a lot higher. There is no need for them to set you up for failure since they will outshoot and out stage plan you anyways. That and at the matches I attend they ask for new shooters to raise their hand to ensure you never go first on a stage so you can watch how others do it. Sounds like you might have either run into a bunch of assholes (Always possible in any group) or maybe they or you misunderstood the scenario. I am wondering if they suggested Limited-10 for you since it was first shoot. A lot do since you may not be familiar with other divisions rules on equipment etc.

To be honest though USPSA shooters can be really good. Really accurate and really fast. You will not catch them without putting in the time they do in dry/live fire and matches. It is an investment to get to A and above frankly as I am finding just chasing B class right now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I stopped shooting IDPA when I was accused of cheating by faking a mandatory reload by the RO.
Here's what happened.
Shot a few rounds then did a reload with retention, retained the magazine by sticking it just to the left of my belt buckle.
Shot a few more rounds and came to a mandatory reload with retention portion of the stage.
Instead of going to my hip magazine carrier I did a much faster reload/retention by swapping out the magazines at my belt buckle.
The RO called a stop and accused me of cheating and said it was stage FTDR and he could DQ me from the match.
I argued that I did in fact perform the reload and to prove it we could go back and do a round count for my magazines.
Instead of allowing me to prove I was in the right, he said my stage was over, I'd get the FTDR and I'd be penalized for all targets not engaged after he called stop.
I told him to fucking kiss my ass and started walking out of the range (indoor range).
He grabbed me by the shoulder and told me I couldn't carry outside the range and would have to take off everything and bag it before leaving.
Another "kiss my ass" and "if you touch me again I'll kick your ass" and I walked out (while still geared up), of course now I'm banned from that range but IDGAF because the only time I ever went there was for IDPA anyway.
That whole experience really soured me on the judgement calls and sheer bullshit that IDPA lets their RO's get away with.
I never shot another IDPA match and never will.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I used to shoot KPDL.  Local practical defense based pistol comp.  Was tons of fun, no one did anything stupid.

Then new people started joining.  Pretty soon it was new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule, new rule.

That was when I quit.  Shame because it was amazing SD training.
View Quote
Ive shot that once in Louisville.

I generally go pro my stuff, because its what I do. I was promptly told no recording, dumb rule but whatever, its their place.

I got up online. Beep. I looked at the dude timing like he was a fucking idiot and he looked back at me like I was a fucking idiot. I was like is there not a shooter ready or anything? Nope you don't get that in real life do you . In the new shooters meeting I had 15 min before hand I was told it would go like every other single shooting sport, step online, shooter ready, shooter nods or whatever, stand by, beep

I really have no interest in going back after that stupid shit. I still beat that guys ass too in score
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That is...weird.

Experienced shooters are usually in a higher class than a new one. Sometimes a lot higher. There is no need for them to set you up for failure since they will outshoot and out stage plan you anyways. That and at the matches I attend they ask for new shooters to raise their hand to ensure you never go first on a stage so you can watch how others do it. Sounds like you might have either run into a bunch of assholes (Always possible in any group) or maybe they or you misunderstood the scenario. I am wondering if they suggested Limited-10 for you since it was first shoot. A lot do since you may not be familiar with other divisions rules on equipment etc.

To be honest though USPSA shooters can be really good. Really accurate and really fast. You will not catch them without putting in the time they do in dry/live fire and matches. It is an investment to get to A and above frankly as I am finding just chasing B class right now.
View Quote
Not saying they weren't good shooters, they were for sure. I going to give it another go but I had been shooting IDPA for several years before I tried USPSA and didn't like the way it was run. To be fair I've shot IDPA matches that were poorly run but had shot enough that it wasn't my only impression of how they are run.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#41]
The worst part of IDPA is the people who shoot IPDA.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Yuck. I'm not so hard up for competition that I'm willing to bend-over for a bunch of overgrown Boyscouts who take life too seriously. It's the same reason that I gave up my range membership and choose to shoot on BLM land. I have been a safe shooter for my entire 5 decade life (never had an AD/ND). So I don't need some dril-instructor-wanna-be breathing down the back of my neck while I'm TRYING to enjoy some range time. I realize that competition must have firm rules in order to make it fair and worthy of participation. But that's just not how I want to spent my shooting time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to love IDPA, it was fun, and felt more useful compared to IPSC's bullshit. 

Ever so slowly, it seems to be going to shit.  Or I'm getting old and grumpy.  Or both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't mind the 10 rounds in the mags or the vest. But don't tell me how to shoot the stage.
I do like the short & sweet stages and the fact you can be done in 4 hours.
Some of the USPSA matches I have seen lately are 6 32 round stages, takes all day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Also, I got tired of standing around and pasting for 3 or 4 hours on a work night just so I could shoot for 2 or 3 minutes!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#46]
IDPA does hate itself.  It hates that its a game and not real training and yet tries to be real training fucking up the game.

I much prefer USPSA to IDPA even as a revolver shooter but I have to say this latest round of changes to IDPA rules seems to have actually made it better.

No more retarded tactical sequence 1, 1, 2, 1, 1 on an a three target array. 

They finally caved to fault lines, and that has pretty much eliminated the very subjective cover calls.  Slice the pie without crossing the fault line and you are good to go!

They have loosened up reload rules a lot.  You can reload on the move and you can reload if you run dry in the open AND CONTINUE SHOOTING!

They change the points down from .5 sec per point down to 1.0 sec per point down.  I really though this was going to fuck things up but in practice it only seems to screw the guys that try to show off and go full on hoser mode.

As for the cover garment have some fun with it.  Do it in style with a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches.  Makes all the tactical Timmy's nervous.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Huh.  I've had precisely the exact opposite experience.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Most of the shooting sports are ass backwards, and need a hard reboot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Honestly I am thinking of avoiding all IDPA matches and sticking to USPSA from now on.
View Quote
I just can't get behind the lack of cover use, and no division for concealed. Otherwise I do find it superior.

I'd like to see both have an updated target (the "a" or "0" hit box mostly)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top