Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
At 10:48 he's stating suspect down. Then he starts screaming drop the weapon, and some bullets rain down on the perp from all around.

I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What should he have done with it?  Go ahead, Superman, tell me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah, tossing the shotgun was very very silly.
What should he have done with it?  Go ahead, Superman, tell me.
He could have shoved it into the car he was hiding behind. Or slid it under the vehicle he was hiding behind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
If my only long gun is a shotgun then I would have spare ammo, against policy or not I would have it. Slugs could have ended that pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
another angle
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
lol...recording that like he was in the Nam
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm suprised Baltimore PD is still allowed shotguns given the stupidity of city leadership.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Did he really deploy with an unloaded shotgun???
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Suspected armed robber. Female officer stops the bus, gets on looking for the last people to get on the bus.

She's looking for an armed robber and seems quite surprised to actually find one.

Don't go looking for trouble unless you expect to find it.
View Quote
Yeah I noticed the casual attitude of that officer too.

Hey, if it's worth blocking the road to stop the bus, it's probably worth not going in flat footed and contentedly chewing your cud.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Standard setup for a police shotgun is "cruiser ready"

Shells in the magazine, nothing in the chamber. This is because no shotgun has a real safety. All the safeties on shotguns basically just block movement of the trigger. None that I know of block the sear like on a 1911. So they are not drop safe. Thus you store them empty chamber and rack a round in when you need it.

Trouble is that this shotgun had a maximum magazine capacity of 4 rounds, and the officers are forbidden by policy from having any extra shells stored on the gun (with a side saddle, a speed-feed stock, or even some fucking velcro) and can't carry any extra ammo on their person either. So they get 4 rounds and that's it.
View Quote
No round in the chamber is a lot better in case of car fire too. Cook off in the chamber won't tend to kill people nearby, a cook off in the barrel could.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats fucking crazy that they cannot have more ammo on the shotgun, what a fucking joke
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Perp must have thought of Chuck Norris can dual wield, so can I.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The fat chick behind the van almost got ventilated when bodycam officer shot his pistol at the drivers window.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
shotgun setup is ludicrous! my HD shotgun can hold 7 in the tube and has another 10 on side and stock saddles.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
shotgun setup is ludicrous! my HD shotgun can hold 7 in the tube and has another 10 on side and stock saddles.
View Quote
She should have kept a box of shells in her day bag. half and half slugs and triple ought. Two different colors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Who paints these signs?

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No round in the chamber is a lot better in case of car fire too. Cook off in the chamber MAGAZINE won't tend to kill people nearby, a cook off in the barrel CHAMBER could.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#19]
so, djellaba, headscarf, beard, was he derpa derpa?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
That's fucking hilarious.  "Get in your house!"  "I don't live here!"
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The fat chick behind the van almost got ventilated when bodycam officer shot his pistol at the drivers window.
View Quote
Man, when I saw the officer come running out from the van after bodycam dude had lit it up, I was all
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for posting OP....definitely an interesting video.  I agree with other posters, that shotgun was just slightly better than worthless.  What a crazy policy for that dept to have, here you can have the tool, but nothing to feed it.  

That's a great example of what you get when you have people making policy that have no fucking clue what they're doing in the real world.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The buckshot was actually fairly decently placed...but once it went through the windshield glass it seemed to go wild and never hit dude.
View Quote
I remember reading something from DocGKR about that:  Metro buses are like armored vehicles with that laminated safety glass.  People think that car windshields are magic on bullets, just wait until you see the almost triple thickness of that in the form of metro bus glass...

Think GKR was saying bonded .308 or Brenneke (and only Brenneke, light mag/black magic/special forces) slugs worked really well against that glass.

I don't think the bad guy had any idea of any of this, however, I think it allowed him to live as long as he did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like officers using a FNS long slide, from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I was surprised to see the bad guy stop and check the rounds left in his magazine.

Would it really be the right decision to throw a tourniquet on someone when you haven't assessed the wound yet?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
What else should he have done with an empty shotgun in the middle of a gunfight? Take the time to put it back in the car?

It's empty and useless. I would have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The most important lesson is to stay out of Baltimore
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm surprised he let everyone off the bus.

I'm also surprised that the police didn't simply tail the damn bus until he got off, then nabbed him, rather than endangering everyone on board like that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
That was a shitshow.  

That first lady cop on the bus was lucky to make it out alive.  

That shit went on way longer than it should have even without rifles.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm suprised Baltimore PD is still allowed shotguns given the stupidity of city leadership.
View Quote
This didn't take place in Baltimore City. This took place in Baltimore County, which oddly enough is a different (adjacent) jurisdiction.

This took place in Dundalk in Baltimore County.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That was a shitshow.  

That first lady cop on the bus was lucky to make it out alive.  

That shit went on way longer than it should have even without rifles.
View Quote
I was VERY surprised the bad guy was able to make a run from the bus without getting lit up right away.  I figured as soon as he stepped out, he'd get turned into swiss cheese.  I suppose he layed enough cover fire where everyone was hiding behind cover and couldn't really catch seeing him run until he was already to the van.  Wow.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This didn't take place in Baltimore City. This took place in Baltimore County, which oddly enough is a different (adjacent) jurisdiction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly the county (outside the city) is less of a liberal shitshow. But I got no personal experience with it. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Supposedly the county (outside the city) is less of a liberal shitshow. But I got no personal experience with it. 
View Quote
Yep, I only pointed it out because the shitty leaders of Baltimore City are completely different from the leadership of Baltimore County, which are only half-shitty.

Baltimore County ranges from urban crap zones (adjacent to the city) to super multi-million dollar horse farms where people like the main guy at Under Armour live.

Dundalk is a place which used to be a wonderful blue collar neighborhood where everyone worked at Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point facility and is now a shitshow.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Once he emptied it, if he didn't have more rounds on his duty belt (highly doubtful), it was a stick.  No side saddle with more rounds, and no sling to hang it.  His only option was to drop it and transition.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#37]
TAG
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was surprised to see the bad guy stop and check the rounds left in his magazine.

Would it really be the right decision to throw a tourniquet on someone when you haven't assessed the wound yet?
View Quote
If you are going straight to surgery I think a TQ is acceptable immediately on any penetrating wound. Could've used an Izzy or some Celox I suppose.

If I'm wrong I'm interested to hear the proper response. Swear I had read a lot of trauma policy these days calls for a lot more TQ usage.

The video was interesting. An AR would've made short work of the perp. Slugs would've been a better option for the 12ga but as noted above ammo issues. They're lucky that dumbass wigger thought he was Denzel or some shit and had those POS guns. Cop bobbled a pistol reload and the TQ application was sloppy but that could happen to anybody.

Overall I thought they did well. They really need to get that rifle situation squared away. Why can't every officer have an active shooter kit with an AR and PC in the trunk? Its worth the expense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you are going straight to surgery I think a TQ is acceptable immediately on any penetrating wound. Could've used an Izzy or some Celox I suppose.

If I'm wrong I'm interested to hear the proper response. Swear I had read a lot of trauma policy these days calls for a lot more TQ usage.

The video was interesting. An AR would've made short work of the perp. Slugs would've been a better option for the 12ga but as noted above ammo issues. They're lucky that dumbass wigger thought he was Denzel or some shit and had those POS guns. Cop bobbled a pistol reload and the TQ application was sloppy but that could happen to anybody.

Overall I thought they did well. They really need to get that rifle situation squared away. Why can't every officer have an active shooter kit with an AR and PC in the trunk? Its worth the expense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have used a TQ in that situation. I'm not running box calls anymore but IMHO, they did okay by putting it on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's my understanding as well. When I was raised in the scouts, the mantra was always that a tourniquet was last ditch thing. However, more recent experience found that mindset led to people delaying in putting them on when they should have and that if you have a reasonably short time in getting the injured to a trauma center, a tourniquet is a fine "better safe than sorry" thing.  

But in this case, the wound didn't seem to be bleeding much, and I would think that assessing it first would make sense (and based on the amount of blood, a compress may have done fine).  I guess the vid cut off before we saw what happened, and maybe they were staging it on her leg ahead of getting the pant leg opened up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If I were a betting man I'd bet she was hit by one of her fellow officers...not the bad guy.
View Quote
At my first PD, half of the SWAT team's purple hearts were from friendly fire. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless it changed combat lifesaving teaches to tourniquet over clothes and evacuate, then assess and add a tourniquet above the wound if needed when not under fire.

Eta: Remember the number one goal is get to cover without the casualty dying. Assessment is high on the priority list, but you don't assess under fire because that's a good way to have two casualties.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#44]
My armchair perspective and criticism.
Cops did not secure the scene as well as they could have.  No one opted to cover the only side of the bus with man size openings. No one even tried to get a vantage point behind cover from the other side. One officer in the same relative position as the guy taking the second video may have ended it much sooner.
As it turned out no one got killed except the shithead. Perfect outcome regardless of tactical could haves.

Edit: and another reason for tactical carbine in pistol caliber or other in the squad car.
make the entire force use 9mm and squad cars would carry carbine in 9mm.
Every 3rd squad car could have .223 or 6.8spc, 6.5G... so when there is an event that requires multiple responding officers. Someone always shows up with some fire power if needed.
standing off @ 3-4 times the normally trained for hand gun distance with a shoulder fired weapon has no equal in that situation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Good guys won.  That is all that matters.  

Firefights are ugly and never look like a training scenario.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#46]
to everyone complaining about a shotgun being useless - is this bad or good?
considering the amount of friendly fire, the officer might only be alive due to the lack of rifles.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Seemed like limp wristing caused his fails.

Shotgun was right weapon but used poorly IMO, but I understand thats coming from me sitting in my living room.

Has it been made public if female cop was hit by friendly fire?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good guys won.  That is all that matters.  

Firefights are ugly and never look like a training scenario.
View Quote
I agree.

Just an observation...

Are regular officers trained to close with a shooter?

I remember that Dallas PD shooting, and the bad guy was effective in murdering that one officer by closing with them.

Are officers that carry rifles trained in that tactic?

I understand that's a bad idea with a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top