Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I ran out of gas at the house once.  I had to mow the yard with 15 year old Coleman fuel.  Mower ran great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the day I turned 16 and started driving. I have always thought it cost the same to keep a car full of gas, versus running it to empty. So I have never in my driving life, ran out of gas.

I have run the lawnmower out though. She's a thirsty bitch, and there is no way to tell how much gas is in it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never run out of gas.

90% of the time, I refill at 1/2.
View Quote
This. I try not to run it too low. Just habit I guess.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Ran out on a mc just short of the gas station, it died but I coasted right in to the pump
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Back in 1980, I'm driving my FIAT back home from college, and the low fuel light is on.
I get off of the highway, and fill up at a Mobil station.
I start the car, move about 5 feet and the engine stumbles and then smooths out again.
Yes, I cut it that close and never have again.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The U.P. is no place to be running on fumes.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A number of years ago driving through Upper Peninsula with GF in a lifted 85 toyota 4x4 and I decided to pass a gas station thinking there would be one later down the road. As the needle fell below the "E" i started to panic and took an exit off the highway and stopped at a house. Knocked on door to see if there was a gas station, no smart phones then, and nobody home. I gambled and drove about a mile down the road and found a single pump gas station that looked it was straight out of 1930's. I vowed after that I would never let the tank go below 1/4.
The U.P. is no place to be running on fumes.  
No doubt. UP is no place to be running without a spare can or two in back.

One time back when wife and I were making a run to her hometown - was blasting down hwy about 120ish in Saab 9-3 Aero when light came on about time we blew past a stop. Was making good time so kept on going 'we're running light / fast and mileage is calibrated to city driving' I said. Well ran out of gas soon after that. Luckily a nearby farmer had a can of gas to share. Everytime that light comes on now - wife reminds me of that day.  I try to remind her that it all worked out, no luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never run out.

came close once driving from Alexandria, LA to TN.  My car's tank held 18 gallons and I was able to put 18.4 gallons in it when I stopped.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I start sweating and looking for a gas station at 1/4 tank.  I try not to play that stupid game so I expect I'll never win that stupid prize.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The gas gauge in my truck has occasional breaks with reality.  I ran out of gas twice with an eight of a tank or more showing before I started watching the mileage.  I carry a couple of gallons in a can in case I forget (dump the can in the tank and refill it every couple of months).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never run out of gas, mostly because I'm not a jackass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I put 30k miles on a truck with a busted fuel gauge.  I ran out of fuel twice.  Both times I had a 5 gallon can in the back for the occasion.

There's really no excuse.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Haven't run out of gas.  I fill up at 1/4 tank bc at that point it starts going fast.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember coasting to the pump a few times in my younger days. I too liked living dangerously. Now I usually top off at a 1/4 of a tank. Make sure to reset the odometer every time also. Idiot light comes on in 1 rig when I'm down to 4 gallons (75-80 miles) and about 2 galls (50-60) in the other.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Top off at half tank.
When I'm riding the motorcycle, usually stop every 50-100 miles to top off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never ran out of gas because I'm not an idiot
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
1/2 tank is empty for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Not myself but my wife won't fill the tank. She's run out a couple times. Then calls me for a gas can.

I had a 71 Bronco that was a rolled wreck. At the time it was only 3 years old and the damage wasn't bad, roof (sounds like a pain but they just bolt on and off so we bought a replacement), fender, some dents here and there. It helps a lot when your old man was auto body/auto mechanic. He took it to another level by adding a Ranger pack which is chrome bumpers, raised letters, carpets, etc. It was made for a logging company and was outfitted with a lot of extras like dual batteries, heavy suspension, lock-out hubs, swing out spare, oversize this and that, a wench. It did have the 8 cylinder 302 (5.0 for todays speak) so it wasn't all that gas conservative. Never really worried about running out of gas with it though no matter where I went wether on a trip, off-roading or hitting the dunes down the cape because another feature was that it had dual gas tanks and a 5 gallon mounted jerry can. If I ran it low I'd just have to reach down and turn a valve 180° for the fuel flow from the second tank and throw a switch on the dash to change over the gauge. I didn't have to deal with the 10 gallon limit or lines at the time as two of my cousins owned gas stations.

If they came out with the same model but with todays mechanics and suspensions, I'd be on it. I don't need a quarter of todays standard amenities. No air-conditioning, power windows, cruise control, auto lights, idiot lights, auto transmission, on the fly four wheel drive, etc. I'd want Power steering, brakes, a decent sound system with a gps, an instrument cluster using gauges, a vent window and floor vents, and a foot stomp high beam switch. The only thing I want on my sterring column is a directional only stem. Put the ignition back on the dash.

JETA: It only had 5,000 miles on it when wrecked.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there a right time to run out of gas?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Ran dry outside of Tupengato Argentina shadowing the the Dakar enlace heading towards Chile. Only time in a lot of overland travel Ive gone tank dry. Bad decision on my part, smaller tank than im used to and stretching the range. I know better and miscalculated my leg. THen again I wouldnt have taken that chance in the Simpson or Mojave. Luckily I speak German.   Nice couple came by and topped me off, was able to get back to the support truck. I obviously had it better than the local dogs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never run out of fuel.
I fill up at half a tank almost all of the time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I did this when I was young.  Only lost once.

Was on my way to work and less than two miles from work and within 100 yards of a gas station.  Unfortunately there was a hill before the station and not enough gas to pull it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I ran out once. The gas gauge was funky and always floated past empty and back to 1/4 tank. I thought I had enough to make a short trip and hit the gas station on the way back but I ran out of gas after a couple blocks. Did the walk of shame with a gallon of gas and I've never ran out again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have never run out of gas.

90% of the time, I refill at 1/2.
View Quote
Same. I don't know how this happens to people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14291/General-Photos-619-1-241124.JPG

Ran dry outside of Tupengato Argentina shadowing the the Dakar enlace heading towards Chile. Only time in a lot of overland travel Ive gone tank dry. Bad decision on my part, smaller tank than im used to and stretching the range. I know better and miscalculated my leg. THen again I wouldnt have taken that chance in the Simpson or Mojave. Luckily I speak German.   Nice couple came by and topped me off, was able to get back to the support truck. I obviously had it better than the local dogs.
View Quote

It's a good thing that motorcycles have a reserve setting on the gas lever.  It's a bad thing when the bike starts spluttering and you reach to flip it and find out that it's already on reserve...  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure there is a good time to run out if gas.

Yes, i have done it on a bike and in a plane, but only once.
View Quote
I've never run out of gas in the plane, but my brother did land once with a mere 1/2 gallon in the tanks. That's MAYBE enough for one go around.

And he wondered why I decided to sell it!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Around home never less 1/4 of tank. When on vacation like to keep it above 1/2 since I don't where I am and how far things are.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's a good thing that motorcycles have a reserve setting on the gas lever.  It's a bad thing when the bike starts spluttering and you reach to flip it and find out that it's already on reserve...  
View Quote
LOL - yea, already consciously switched to my reserve, which I knew was 1 liter. Evidently that day a liter wouldn't get me 35 kms. I didnt have my bike pack with my MSR can, I'd left it on the truck since we'd had a mountain path that day. I knew where I was, I knew how far I had to go, GPS makes things a whole lots easier than paper. I was lucky I didnt have to walk tho.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#28]
What kind of retard waits until they run out of gas? I refill at a half tank every time. I have yet to run out of gas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been there....
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I've run out twice.  The first time was right after I picked up a girl that I just started dating.  The plan was to get gas, then pick her up.  I was running late so I got her first and then headed to the gas station.  I ran out 1 block from the station.  It was about 20 degrees out that night.  Luckily the gas station loaned me a can and all was good.

Second time I ran out in my driveway because my old Ranger's fuel gauge was broken.  I would go 200 miles and then I'd fill it up.  I guess I let it run too long in the mornings to warm it up (winter time) and I came out of the house to go to work and it was no longer running.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I filled up this week and had less than 0.3 gallons left in the tank. That's the closest I've come in years.

I don't prescribe to the keep if half full, but I like to keep 100 miles of gas in. at the minimum
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#32]
My gas gage hasn't work for years, (thanks Chevy) So I reset the trip counter every time I fill up. With a 25 gallon tank I could go 350 miles on a tank but I always fill up at 300 or sooner.

50 miles should be far enough to get me out of the blast zone at least I hope.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What kind of retard waits until they run out of gas? I refill at a half tank every time. I have yet to run out of gas.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Because you cant always roll like this, sometimes you misjudge or forget,  sometimes you're getting blown and things just get away from you 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I have never run out of gas.  I refill when I get to 1/4 tank.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#35]
College. I decided I would go buy a pizza and then get gas. I didn't make it to the pizza place. Luckily I ran out near a bunch of big guys who pushed it out of the intersection, and was about a mile from a gas station with a gas can in my trunk. Now I refill at the half full to quarter full mark. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#36]
So, when is a good time to run out of fuel, as opposed to a bad time?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#37]
A couple of weeks ago some dumbass robbed a convenience store in Atlanta, he ran out of gas about 2 blocks away. His timing was off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
And that's how I learned that my second street bike had a backwards gas lever.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#39]
2016 BMW 5 Series, raining hard cruising home off the midnight watch going 10 over the limit, fuel light pops on, computer blinks & says 80 miles to empty. I plan on getting off Next exit (3 miles) & refueling,   2.5 mile later car sputters & engine shuts down, fortunately I was able to coast to a safe zone on an entrance ramp.
Never trust the miles to empty readout on computer.
First time in 40 years of driving this has happened to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Ran out of fuel exactly once.
I was about 19 and owned a 1963 Chevy Nova.
Was leaving some girls house and at the four way stop leaving her neighborhood I was dead in the water at 11:30 p.m.
I pushed it .6 of a mile to a store/gas station and put in $1 worth which at that time was close to four gallons.
You will sweat your ass of pushing a car over a half mile by yourself.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top