Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2017 9:32:10 PM EDT
Some of us will play the game, how far can i get ?

Some of us won't.

What was a time you ran out of gas at the wrong time ?

My friend and I were working for a ammo retail company, working the gun shows all around Florida.

Friday night, we are driving  from West Palm Beach to Tampa.

I am driving the company 2009 GMC 1500 pick up, and we have about 50,000 rounds of ammo in the back.

We are coming up I275 into downtown Tampa. the fuel light just came on 5 minutes ago.

As we are near our exit, and i always got 20-30 miles before being truly out, i pushed on.  

Coming up to Scott Street, the truck started to buck. So i pulled off that exit, and it was 12:30am.

We coasted to a stop, my friend armed with a S&W shield, made the trek into the unknown to look for gas, I  stayed with the truck armed with a glock 19.

Little did we know this was not a good spot for two white boys with a truck load of ammo to be hanging around at midnight.

While waiting for my friend to return, i was approached by at least 5 different thuggish type guys offering to help.  

I thanked each one of them and assured them I am fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I avg. 10 gallons of remaining fuel when my idiot light comes on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't play stupid games with gas.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't run out of gas completely but did a drive into the desert from Reno a few years back.  needed gas but knew there was a gas station where we were heading. The fuel light came on as we entered the old mining town we were visiting and as we arrived at the gas station we discovered they had closed ten minutes prior. Old style pumps where you couldn't just pay and not a soul in site. No way we had enough fuel to get back.

Luckily a couple of super awesome lesbians drove by and offered to go get their can of lawnmower gas. Gave us enough fuel to get back down the mountain. One of the gals looked just like Lee Marvin but her wife was fiiiiiinnnnnneeeee.  Big props to Lee for the gas and for pulling hot tail.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't play stupid games with gas.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I only ran out of gas once.  On purpose.  In a company truck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never run out of gas.

90% of the time, I refill at 1/2.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
A number of years ago driving through Upper Peninsula with GF in a lifted 85 toyota 4x4 and I decided to pass a gas station thinking there would be one later down the road. As the needle fell below the "E" i started to panic and took an exit off the highway and stopped at a house. Knocked on door to see if there was a gas station, no smart phones then, and nobody home. I gambled and drove about a mile down the road and found a single pump gas station that looked it was straight out of 1930's. I vowed after that I would never let the tank go below 1/4.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Back when I was young and not so smart.  I ran out of gas during a street drag race (with our slow ass high school rides) with my buddy, had enough of a lead that I still beat him coasting.  I was pretty good at driving around all night with 2 gallons of gas in the tank.  Lol

These days, if I'm pumping gas, I fill up.  Every time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have never run out of gas.

90% of the time, I refill at 1/2.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A number of years ago driving through Upper Peninsula with GF in a lifted 85 toyota 4x4 and I decided to pass a gas station thinking there would be one later down the road. As the needle fell below the "E" i started to panic and took an exit off the highway and stopped at a house. Knocked on door to see if there was a gas station, no smart phones then, and nobody home. I gambled and drove about a mile down the road and found a single pump gas station that looked it was straight out of 1930's. I vowed after that I would never let the tank go below 1/4.
View Quote
The U.P. is no place to be running on fumes.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It's very rare that I let my gas tank drop below half a tank. But I e been in a vehicle that ran dry twice in my life. Once when I was about 14 and was riding back from the range with my dad's best friend/our neighbor. He went to go get some gas and left me in the truck with a pile of MGs. It was a small town and in a different time. Cop stops and checks on me. He was a mutual friend of my dad and our neighbor and we knew each other by name and shared a laugh at the expense of dad's friend.

The other time was a few years back when my best friend died. I took it hard and was on a liquid diet for several days. Girlfriend came over and wanted to get me out. I was in no position to drive so I climb in her car. I'm pretty sure her low fuel light was on so much that it burned out. The interstate was a mess so we took surface streets to go get dinner. Her car could not have picked a worse spot to run dry. it was an insta-sober incident.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, I don't run my lawnmower out of gas unless I'm storing it for the winter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I do not let the light come on but i admit i push it down to less than an 1/8th on road trips because i hate to stop. Bad for electric fuel pumps i know.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
On the bike headed to CA. Ran out of gas on I-10 between Junction and Ft Stockton (middle of NOWHERE). Road side assistance to the rescue!

$150 for 5 gallons after a 2 hour wait on the side of the road in august. The next exit that had gas was about 30 miles away. Filled up again and bought a small gas tank, filled it up and lashed it to the bike. Haven't made that mistake again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I refill at 1/4 tank.  I came close on my last trip to Springs.  I did a quick mental calculation and decided to get two gallons.  By the time I got to my destination, I was down to one gallon.  Whew.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was driving to Santa Monica to do some chores at the grandparent's house. I was low on fuel and didn't see a gas station for miles. The range on the dash reads zero. Any port in a storm. I find myself at the only gas station, right on the corner of Florence and Normandie (LA Riots flashpoint). I'm in a newish black Audi wearing OR scrubs and stick out like a sore thumb, like I just landed on a strange planet. I have a HK USP Compact 9 in the small of my back and a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback sticking his head out of the back window. Some dude comes up and asked for a dollar while eyeballing the dog. I told him I have no cash. By then there's ten bucks in the tank, and I'm out of there. I never have less than a half tank and don't know what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure there is a good time to run out if gas.

Yes, i have done it on a bike and in a plane, but only once.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Planes are not big deal, just glide to nearest gas station.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've thrown a full gas can in the vehicle before to see how far I could drive with the gas light on without getting stranded. The only other times I can remember running out of gas were due to broken gauges or a faulty sending unit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
As a kid.. I lived on or right above empty. I started driving in the mid 2000's, when gas regularly floated around $3-$4 a gallon... These days? I wont let my trucks get below a half tank. Ever. Especially my diesel, which gives me about 350 miles of range for half a tank. My Great Aunt and Uncle tell a story about being in upstate N.Y. during 9/11, driving a diesel. When it hit, they decided they needed to get home, but couldn't, because everybody was swarming the gas station for all the gas and diesel, their rule of thumb these days is to never be anywhere without enough diesel to get home. I've mostly adopted the same rule, if i'm out of town, i'll keep my tank as full as possible to ensure I can get home if needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I make it a point to fill up when approaching 1/4 tank or sooner if passing a gas station. The hassle of running out of gas is entirely avoidable.

That being said my lawn mower and weed wacker are always running out half way through the yard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Dirt bike riding way out in the sticks.  Bike flipped over and I lost 3/4 tank.  Had to get gas from buddies.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was freight dogging in 402 and 404s we had a few legs where you needed every bit of gas on the plane and barely landed with legal reserves. Had to take off on the main tanks as normal and fly for 30 minutes then switch to the aux tanks and set a timer since the fuel gauges worked about as well as everything else on the planes. Lots of times I would be busy with ATC or trying to figure out where I was (GPS? Autopilot? Lol) and would miss the timer. Cruising along at 0300 trying to dial in a VOR frequency on a radio where the knob is so loose that it takes careful concentration and then an engine quits. The first couple times are better than coffee to keep you awake for the rest of the flight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm filling up when I hit a quarter tank.  And I've got a 36 gallon tank in my truck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I fill up anywhere between 1/2 and 1/4 tank.

The other day I found out my truck has a low fuel light. Slipped a little bit. But the computer told me I had 60 miles to empty and the gas station is 3 miles away.

In my younger/dumber days I ran out of gas leaving an offroad spot near Palm Springs. We wound up draining gas out of the dirtbikes in the back of my truck.
Truck wasn't happy running on premix but we got to the gas station.

An industry cohort of mine has a habit of running out of gas. I have been in his truck a grand total of about 5 times over the last decade. Twice he has run out of gas.
Kicker is he is a private pilot/plane owner.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When I was freight dogging in 402 and 404s we had a few legs where you needed every bit of gas on the plane and barely landed with legal reserves. Had to take off on the main tanks as normal and fly for 30 minutes then switch to the aux tanks and set a timer since the fuel gauges worked about as well as everything else on the planes. Lots of times I would be busy with ATC or trying to figure out where I was (GPS? Autopilot? Lol) and would miss the timer. Cruising along at 0300 trying to dial in a VOR frequency on a radio where the knob is so loose that it takes careful concentration and then an engine quits. The first couple times are better than coffee to keep you awake for the rest of the flight.
View Quote
jeezus
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Only once, was on I-290 headed east out of Chicago late at night, felt the clunking just as I was a half mile from the exit.  Died as I was approaching the short uphill offramp (left exit), and I coasted from highway speed all the way up the offramp, caught a green at the intersection, turned right and then right into the gas station while rolling.

Like a boss.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Ran out once in my  Power Wagon when I was a squid up at Bremerton in the '70s. I'd drop 12 bucks in the tank every payday after that.
I won't let my tank get below half these days and encourage my wife and daughter to do the same, but they won't listen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#29]
i'm a fill up at a half tank kind of guy

but now i ride around with 75 extra gallons in the bed so sometimes i'll tempt fate and ride it down to 1/4 tank
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Once because I had a broken gauge and lost track
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
jeezus
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jeezus
That was a fly by night operation in every sense of the word.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've thrown a full gas can in the vehicle before to see how far I could drive with the gas light on without getting stranded. The only other times I can remember running out of gas were due to broken gauges or a faulty sending unit.
View Quote
the gauge in my '92 jeep went south, only time in my life i've ever ran out of gas

impressively, the 4.0 got me 4 miles back to my house where i figured out that i had run out of gas.  if anybody ever had a propane vehicle back in the carburetor days it was like running out like that, i had no power whatsoever but it just kept chugging along
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I start looking for gas station options when I'm at 1/4 of a tank. On long trips I like to kept a half tank for options. It's not difficult really, yeah you have a reserve but why push it? Never know when you've got to de-ass the area you're in. Generally I fill up weekly when I hit my local Costco even when I don't *need* gas. My wife will run her car down until it's 50miles left, drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
so to explain propane power...

back in the olden days when you could still put a vehicle on propane in an afternoon they ran through a carburetor, first through a regulator that used coolant to turn liquid propane into vapor

so, when you ran out of liquid propane you still had all the vapor left in the tank so depending on the size of the tank you still had lots of driving you could do.  difference was that you were no long converting liquid to vapor at a 200:1 ratio, you were just running straight vapor.  so no power but you could go a looooooooooong fucking way with a big enough tank

and at that point you could just flip a switch between propane/gasoline so if you ran out of gas you were either trying or you were retarded
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Cruising around Seattle and decided to go up Rainier on the north side.  Passed a station with about 1/4 tank left.  Got to the end of the pavement and kept trucking up the mountain on logging roads.  Finally looked down and noticed that we were running on fumes.

Turned around and put it in neutral, and coasted 15 miles down the mountain to the gas station
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Good thing the OP did not try that in Arizona with 38 Super ammo.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Last summer I was running errands in my wife's '11 4Runner.  We were going to be leaving on a road trip the next day driving the 4Runner.  I'm headed home when I turn left from a light and start going up a very slight hill when the 4Runner quits on me.  I get it pulled onto the shoulder luckily.  Everything seems to work on it, even cranks over, but it won't start.  The gas guage says I have between 1/4 and 1/8 left and the low fuel light is not on.  It doesn't make sense and I am getting upset as this was the vehicle we needed to drive and now it is broken down.  Regardless of what the gas guage says, being out of gas was the only thing that kind of made sense.  So I call my wife & have her bring me a gas can from home.  She shows up and we take it to the nearest convenience store and fill up the gas can.  We get back to the 4Runner and put 2 gallons in and sure enough it was out of gas.  I get it to the convenience store and fill it up and it is fine after that.

When I get home I do a google search and find out that this is an issue with 4Runners and FJ Cruisers.  Faulty fuel sender I guess.  We took it on the trip and haven't had any problems with it since but we always make sure to not let it get below 1/4 tank.  Since that episode I have been running fuel sysem cleaner (Techron or Regane) every once in a while.  I am wondering if it has made a difference as there have been a few times where I filled it up at 1/4 tank and it still had ~8 gallons left.  One of these days I need to test that theory and let it run down further.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
When is a good time to run out of gas?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When is a good time to run out of gas?
View Quote
When you're on fire?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
About 15 years ago I ran out of gas in Detroit when I got off work. Not the hipster area. The. Fucking. Ghetto. You could do a few mag dumps with a ar and the cops may show up a few hours later. It was about 3 am and hot, so all the goblins were up and active. Long walk to the gas station.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#42]
-40 below, 30 mph winds.  snow cat ran out of fuel one mile from base.........  coldest walk in my life....

we bolted a rack for extra fuel cans   and towed a snowmobile from then on.........
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Once because I had a broken gauge and lost track
View Quote
Had a broke sending unit in my 00 chevy for 5 years. Never ran out. At 300 on the odometer I knew I had another 25 to 30 miles to go. I finally replaced the fuel pump / sending unit last year.

My daughter borrowed my truck a couple of years ago and ran it out. Even after I told her. It's getting low, when it's at 300 , get gas. Nope.

At least it was in a populated area . A fire engine stopped for her and offered help but she declined.  Her friend had already brought some gas back in a can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#45]
at least you had plenty of ammo
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I normally fill up at a half tank.

Long ago driving through a thunderstorm at night in New Mexico and came over a hill expecting a town and see nothing but blackness since the power was out.  Can't pump gas without power so kept going for the next town, I drove like 40-45 mph trying to eek out more mileage and averaged something ridiculous like 40 mpg in a pickup for that stretch.

Once my wife saw a Bucees billboard with like 173 miles to go and my car estimating 172 miles before empty.  My wife was adamant she didn't want to stop anywhere else, and I managed to pull up to the Bucees pump with 1 mile estimated to go before empty.  I think at 10 miles to go before Bucees I was about to pull over and my wife said she would walk for gas if we didn't make it since she was so sure we would make it without issue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#47]
omg, ALL my friends and family know me for this quirk. I loathe filling up too early. When I have 50 miles left to go, I google filling stations along my route, and pick the one that's 40ish away. I rarely actually run out of gas.

WORST time though, was as on a date. '81 Z28, I ran out on Davison in Detroit between 96 and the lodge. REALLY dodgy neighborhood. I walked with the girl 3 blocks back to a station with a large empty soda bottle to get enough to make it back to the station. We survived. I did get laid eventually, but not that night. Pre-Google Maps and "miles to go" readouts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Kramer test drives car on Seinfeld
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
College friends dad had a 70's Impala,  we were all cruising down the highway in Houston when all of the sudden his dad flips on the blinker, exits the freeway through the grass and pulls into a gas station and gets out.  We didn't realize the car died when it ran out of gas until we were pulling into the gas station due to the stereo volume.

He overshot the gas pump and we had to push the car backwards so could reach the nozzle.

Once I got in our boat at the dock, reached back and squeezed the bulb and it was rock hard, idled out and when I passed the no wake zone signs throttled up.  The boat got on plane and died, I reached back and realized there was no gas tank in the boat, somebody had moved it to the boat house.  I swam back and then swam to the boat with the tank bobbing behind me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Growing up, my dad had this old truck with a huge engine. I loved that thing. But you had to watch out, because as soon as the fuel needle kissed the E tick mark, the engine would die. No grace period. One day I'm on 281 stuck in traffic and the needle is 1/16 the way from the E line. I'm not going to make it. I scan for cops, pull over onto the shoulder, and start moving toward my exit. I make the exit, go 200 yards to the intersection where the gas station is. As I crest the hill, the needle kisses the E. The engine dies. Fortunately there was no one at the intersection so I coast through, make a left turn, and come to a stop in front of the pump. Whew.

That was the best truck. Handled great, had a 460ci motor with most excellent acceleration with no lag at all. He disabled the stupid crap manufacturers do - you could start it in any gear. When you pulled the door lever from the inside, the lock automatically turned off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top