BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not the cost, it's the maintenance.

Also, horses + women = crazy.

Don't invite the crazy into your marriage.  Go on vacation and take her riding to get it out of her system.
View Quote
This, the ones I've seen go for $1 to a known good home.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Start hiding money, valuables and turn your guns over to your best friend.  Hire a lawyer.  Take no prisoners.  Bang chicks after the divorce is final.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
About $0.50/lb on the hoof at the slaughterhouse.  

Kharn
View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a dog.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a dog.
View Quote
My dog would complain if I tried to ride it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a free horse at best.

It doesn't look that unhealthy, other than being really (20+) old. Looks like it has forage on the ground, and space to move around.

Alot easier to send them off to the knackery when mobile.

If not attached to that one, I'd send it on down the road to avoid the hassle of dealing with it when it passes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you enjoy pain and hate money?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not the cost, it's the maintenance.

Also, horses + women = crazy.

Don't invite the crazy into your marriage.  Go on vacation and take her riding to get it out of her system.
View Quote
This x1000

My wife had horses for several years, and I'm thankful she's done with them. And she's only done with them because the fear (she got thrown over the front and just about landed on her head) finally overcame the romanticized notion of having a horse buddy. Even if you spend 10k on a horse, that's nothing compared to the monthly spend. I think we were spending something like $700/mo at one point. Board was like $400/mo (stall & turnout), then lessons, ferrier, supplements, vet visits, tack, trail rides, travel to/from barn, and on and on. Even if you keep them on property, you've got infrastructure costs and on-going maintenance. Horses are extremely destructive.

And horse people (mostly women) are crazy & stupid when it comes to horses. Also, no two horse people agree on anything related to horses.

Just say no.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a free horse at best.

It doesn't look that unhealthy, other than being really (20+) old. Looks like it has forage on the ground, and space to move around.

Alot easier to send them off to the knackery when mobile.

If not attached to that one, I'd send it on down the road to avoid the hassle of dealing with it when it passes.
View Quote
The girls I spoke with, said the owner has a strong sentimental attachment to the horse. Every day we drive by and look to see if it's dead. It looks terrible, lol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]
That's a bullshit answer from your neighbor. That horse is on deaths door like some other posters have mentioned. He isn't caring for the horse and much less having a sentimental attachment to it. That is simply neglect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Some people around here just let their old guys hang out until they decide to "retire". Basically lawn ornaments. He looks old as dirt!

My wife has cut down her herd to 5 now. We have 30 other horses on property that are paying board. $500 for no touch-pasture board and $750 for daily turn out stall board.  Lots of money is thrown at this hobby so they can win those $1 ribbons or $10 trophies. 

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/20170628_145514_zps2j4xqtwp.jpg

Just kidding,I have no interest in ever owning a horse. I just wanted y'all to see this thing...
View Quote
Horse looks like shit. Jesus how old is it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/20170628_145514_zps2j4xqtwp.jpg

Just kidding,I have no interest in ever owning a horse. I just wanted y'all to see this thing...
That's not the horse he wants to buy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Rather spend that on patio furniture - that will get more use than a $1200 yard ornament that requires loads of maintenance 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's a bullshit answer from your neighbor. That horse is on deaths door like some other posters have mentioned. He isn't caring for the horse and much less having a sentimental attachment to it. That is simply neglect.
View Quote
You obviously lack ranch experience.  Plenty of old horses well cared for get to looking like that.  Looks to me to simply be a damn old horse that doesn't put weight on well anymore.  Sure, it's on deaths door, but that could be a couple years away and there isn't anything save putting it down to change that. It's a common and well thought of practice (outside of the yuppie pretentious types) to let an old horse spend it's last days out in a pasture doing it's thing. It may look sickly, but that's nature.

All you Animal control freaks out there, mind your business!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
My daughter chose horse riding as a hobby.  I figured how bad could it be?  I now know that it costs somewhere between collecting Ferraris and Picassos.

I'd like to know where $400/month boarding is because at my daughter's stable, it's $935/mo or $1350/mo if you want the horse trained.  (My daughter does English hunter/jumper)

The farrier is $175 and the vet charges $250 per visit just to come to the stable and say "Yep, that's a horse."  

And a tack shop is where the rest of your money goes to die.  Walk into the saddle room and you start to sweat.  $1000 boots, $800 helmets.  Awesomesauce.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My daughter chose horse riding as a hobby.  I figured how bad could it be?  I now know that it costs somewhere between collecting Ferraris and Picassos.

I'd like to know where $400/month boarding is because at my daughter's stable, it's $935/mo or $1350/mo if you want the horse trained.  (My daughter does English hunter/jumper)

The farrier is $175 and the vet charges $250 per visit just to come to the stable and say "Yep, that's a horse."  

And a tack shop is where the rest of your money goes to die.  Walk into the saddle room and you start to sweat.  $1000 boots, $800 helmets.  Awesomesauce.
View Quote
Well, to be fair you chose one of the horse related activities (dressage, western pleasure, hunting/jumping, English, track racing) that is for rich people. If you daughter was just trail riding, or doing gymkhana/games/barrel racing, the costs are a fraction of what you are spending. Can get some nice Justin cowboy boots for $150, helmet for $65, if you aren't shoeing your horse a farrier trim will run you around $30 once every 6 weeks, vet visit fee (i.e. the added fee for them to come to you versus you trailer'ing the horse to the vet's) is $35, and if you don't need to board your horse at the rich people stable then most typical boarding facilities will usually charge anywhere from $150-$250/mo. 

It's a lot like golf. You can spends tens of thousands (even millions) by being a member of a prestigious golf club, owning your own cart that is kept at the club, buying the most expensive clubs, balls, and clothing, and paying top dollar for lessons from Tiger Woods. Or, you can get your clubs/balls from Costco, rent a cart, and play a round of 18 on the local community golf course that charges $25/18 holes.     
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
A dollar per pound.

If it's young, it's not good for kids.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, I've got ranch experience and been around plenty of horses that have had weight issues. I agree with allowing a horse to retire in pasture and the remaining three I've got now will do just that. However, that horse is well beyond being underweight. Either make a better effort with feed and quality grazing or just put it down.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
This
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, to be fair you chose one of the horse related activities (dressage, western pleasure, hunting/jumping, English, track racing) that is for rich people. If you daughter was just trail riding, or doing gymkhana/games/barrel racing, the costs are a fraction of what you are spending. Can get some nice Justin cowboy boots for $150, helmet for $65, if you aren't shoeing your horse a farrier trim will run you around $30 once every 6 weeks, vet visit fee (i.e. the added fee for them to come to you versus you trailer'ing the horse to the vet's) is $35, and if you don't need to board your horse at the rich people stable then most typical boarding facilities will usually charge anywhere from $150-$250/mo. 

It's a lot like golf. You can spends tens of thousands (even millions) by being a member of a prestigious golf club, owning your own cart that is kept at the club, buying the most expensive clubs, balls, and clothing, and paying top dollar for lessons from Tiger Woods. Or, you can get your clubs/balls from Costco, rent a cart, and play a round of 18 on the local community golf course that charges $25/18 holes.     
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm not complaining.  I know things tend to be more expensive in the NE than other parts of the country.  I just didn't realize to what extent.

If I couldn't afford it, she couldn't do it.  But I can, so she does.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Call the county and have that horse taken from them....that is sad
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

View Quote
shit that is not even enough for a sandwich

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
My daughter is very similar to yours (English hunter/western pleasure) and board at our barn is $380/month for full turn out and is a very nice facility, indoor and outdoor ring ect.  Farrier just came yesterday and replaced 4 shoes for $130, but agree on everything else. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You obviously lack ranch experience.  Plenty of old horses well cared for get to looking like that.  Looks to me to simply be a damn old horse that doesn't put weight on well anymore.  Sure, it's on deaths door, but that could be a couple years away and there isn't anything save putting it down to change that. It's a common and well thought of practice (outside of the yuppie pretentious types) to let an old horse spend it's last days out in a pasture doing it's thing. It may look sickly, but that's nature.

View Quote
I think this is definitely the case. As I said, this is a legitimate breeder and all of the kids working here are in school to be veterinarians. The other horses are in really good shape.
One thing I've noticed is that the old horse is rarely alone. There is almost always another horse right next to it, usually touching it with their head or neck. Is that normal behavior?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
They make friends too.  We had a one eyed rescue that was boarded with us for a long time.  He always had at least one other horse with him. 

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

View Quote
That's neglect. The owners should be in prison.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How do its feet look?  Way past time for a trim?

Also,
The monthly maintenance for horses is greater than an airplane with one piston engine.
View Quote
8 months a year my monthly maintenance for 4 horses is 0$
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Horse shit.  This is a neglected horse, period.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do its feet look?  Way past time for a trim?

Also,
The monthly maintenance for horses is greater than an airplane with one piston engine.
I know your providing counter-arguments to the "horses are more expensive than collecting Faberge Eggs hobby" arguments, and it very well may be $0 for you, but as a horse owner myself I think that may be a somewhat disingenuous counterargument. You don't have your horse(s) shoes trimmed during that 8 months? Maybe you do it yourself, but what about worming them on a regular basis during that time? Do you feed any supplements, like grain? How about having the vet our for routine things, like Coggins shots? Have a horse trailer? Maybe you need to maintain it.

Point being, I agree with you horses as a hobby can be cheaper than many other popular hobbies, and they aren't necessarily the money-pits Arfcom makes them out to be, but there is always some maintenance costs even if minimal. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know your providing counter-arguments to the "horses are more expensive than collecting Faberge Eggs hobby" arguments, and it very well may be $0 for you, but as a horse owner myself I think that may be a somewhat disingenuous counterargument. You don't have your horse(s) shoes trimmed during that 8 months? Maybe you do it yourself, but what about worming them on a regular basis during that time? Do you feed any supplements, like grain? How about having the vet our for routine things, like Coggins shots? Have a horse trailer? Maybe you need to maintain it.

Point being, I agree with you horses as a hobby can be cheaper than many other popular hobbies, and they aren't necessarily the money-pits Arfcom makes them out to be, but there is always some maintenance costs even if minimal. 
View Quote
I trim myself,  they're barefoot.  The pigs get garden leavings on top of grazing.  I don't do Coggins checks until needed. I generally buy enough wormer to cover a year or two at a time.  Vet as needed,  he checks the rest when he's out for a needed thing.  When money needs to be spent,  i spend it.  After all, I'm the asshole that put them in jail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what you get for living in Connecticut. Full board here in Florida is a fraction of what you're paying. We're paying $175 a month per horse with one feeding. My wife likes to feed our three horses in the evening herself.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]
How old ? Have you ever wanted to own a really really really expensive dog that dropped 10 pounds of shit in a pile and cost more than a boat ? If so horses are for you. I spent 9 months years ago working in a stable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think this is definitely the case. As I said, this is a legitimate breeder and all of the kids working here are in school to be veterinarians. The other horses are in really good shape.
One thing I've noticed is that the old horse is rarely alone. There is almost always another horse right next to it, usually touching it with their head or neck. Is that normal behavior?
View Quote
Definitely not uncommon and very normal. Horses are social animals.

@Rugby3    I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I just think that particular old horse's sway back and high withers make it look worse than it probably is; health wise. No argument that it's underweight, but I'd have to see it in person and how it moves and interacts before I'd say it needs put down. I'd also be curious to what it's teeth or whats left of them look like.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Horse shit.  This is a neglected horse, period.
View Quote
I call BS to that statement and I only have the same picture to go off of.  Come back when you have some actual knowledge and experience with something that doesn't live in a stall it entire life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow that poor horse!! That's not funny... just sad. If it was me I'd be calling animal services.
View Quote
Not necessarily abuse. Super old horses tend to be skinny. Teeth don't last as long as they can live sometimes among other problems.

Pro tip- don't keep your ancient horse in sight of the road.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why? Lots of breeds have the dip in the back naturally... that horse is obviously old and a bit skinny. There is plenty of forage in the space it is in, but no real reasons for concern..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that poor horse!! That's not funny... just sad. If it was me I'd be calling animal services.
Why? Lots of breeds have the dip in the back naturally... that horse is obviously old and a bit skinny. There is plenty of forage in the space it is in, but no real reasons for concern..
No reason for concern ! know how I know you don't know what the fuck you're talking about ? That horse needs worming and real feed ! FOR A WHILE ! I know that's not the horse OP is talking about, but the pictured horse is terrible. Somebody should be in jail for mistreatment !
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I call BS to that statement and I only have the same picture to go off of.  Come back when you have some actual knowledge and experience with something that doesn't live in a stall it entire life.
View Quote
My horses don't live in stalls.   I manage to keep my horses (including one well past 30) healthy and don't have to make excuses for their condition.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not necessarily abuse. Super old horses tend to be skinny. Teeth don't last as long as they can live sometimes among other problems.

Pro tip- don't keep your ancient horse in sight of the road.
View Quote
We have one of our horses in the geriatric pasture at our stable. One of her stablemates, who gets the exact same feed and lives in the same pasture that ours does ( ours is overweight), looks a lot like that horse. It's not being neglected it's just ancient.
If it's not in pain they just let it live its life out with its Buddies.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I work with horses professionally and can easily show multiple examples of horses getting mass quantities of senior feed, beet pulp, grass pasture, dental care, regular deworming, vet care, nice barn to live in, blankets in the winter, fan in the summer who look just as bad or worse than the one in the picture.

Getting old can kind of suck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Because nobody ever selling a horse says it's not broken and bites kids.
View Quote
LMAO

This dog doesn't bite. Or this engine is in great condition
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We have one of our horses in the geriatric pasture at our stable. One of her stablemates, who gets the exact same feed and lives in the same pasture that ours does ( ours is overweight), looks a lot like that horse. It's not being neglected it's just ancient.
If it's not in pain they just let it live its life out with its Buddies.
View Quote
Knowing the available feed isn't enough to know it isn't being neglected.   I've seen horses get that skinny because the owner wouldn't get their teeth floated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#44]
My son has close to 1000 acres . ( Actually his wife unit ) He was given 2 horses .  The horses are such a pain in the ass that they roam the property freely .  

Between the 2 of them they have zero redeeming value .    Ungrateful mean SOBs .    The deer on the property are tamer .

To hell with a " free " horse .   Much less actually buying one .

gd
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My son has close to 1000 acres . ( Actually his wife unit ) He was given 2 horses .  The horses are such a pain in the ass that they roam the property freely .  

Between the 2 of them they have zero redeeming value .    Ungrateful mean SOBs .    The deer on the property are tamer .

To hell with a " free " horse .   Much less actually buying one .

gd
View Quote
The second best horse I own was free.  She's a royal bitch
Owner had her sold (mounted patrol horse) and the day he was moving the buyer backed out.  So he gave her to us knowing she'd have a good home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Seriously, IM me. The wife keeps them. They are awesome but there's butt loads to consider. Many,many pitfalls to avoid. If done right happy wife happy life. If not... disaster. Oh, the anamal in the pic has been neglected.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I think horses are great for young women and even wives. Keeps them out of trouble. My 23 year old never got in one minute's trouble and she's been able to experience things like performing in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the Denver Stock Show, and Rodeos from California to Florida to Washington.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top