Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2017 4:42:30 PM EDT
My neighbor has a house they are trying to get rid of. My wife has been talking about getting one, but I'm on the fence.
They are asking $1200 and claim it's broke and gentle with kids. What does the hive think?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
So your wife is a horse chick?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
About $0.50/lb on the hoof at the slaughterhouse.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you enjoy pain and hate money?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not the cost, it's the maintenance.

Also, horses + women = crazy.

Don't invite the crazy into your marriage.  Go on vacation and take her riding to get it out of her system.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
A horse is like a boat for on land. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My neighbor has a house they are trying to get rid of. My wife has been talking about getting one, but I'm on the fence.
They are asking $1200 and claim it's broke and gentle with kids. What does the hive think?
View Quote
1200 for a house is pretty good, even if it is broken.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
An ATV won't eat all night and is just as useful.    Get some sheep to weed your fences!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A horse is like a boat for on land. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

Just kidding,I have no interest in ever owning a horse. I just wanted y'all to see this thing...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would be afraid if the house was only $1200.

Horses aren't any different than dogs.  You have heinz 57 mutts that might be great, but don't have any real value.  Stud fees for top producing thoroughbreds are in the 100's of thousands.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/20170628_145514_zps2j4xqtwp.jpg

Just kidding,I have no interest in ever owning a horse. I just wanted y'all to see this thing...
View Quote
Do they feed it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say you need to know things like age.  Medical history (is the horse sound?  Is it lame alot?)  How are his feet (do they hold up well?  Was he trimmed/shoed regularly?)  Whats his bloodlines?  What was the horse bred for?(cutting horse, reigning horse, trail horse, mountain horse, race horse, barrel horse, Hazer, Bull Dogger, Ranch horse, on and on)  How are his teeth?  Have his teeth been floated ever?  Need more info.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Find someone who knows horses to give the horse a good going over. Check the riding stables in the area and pay someone to test-ride the horse.

You'll also want a PPE (Pre-Purchase Exam) from a vet.

Oh, and in case it's a gelding...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tJ_DYeM_Y
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Make up your mind, is this a horse or house purchase?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/20170628_145514_zps2j4xqtwp.jpg

View Quote
Wow that poor horse!! That's not funny... just sad. If it was me I'd be calling animal services.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If that pic is legit get the animal some help
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

View Quote
I can't believe the SPCA isn't involved.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow that poor horse!! That's not funny... just sad. If it was me I'd be calling animal services.
View Quote
Why? Lots of breeds have the dip in the back naturally... that horse is obviously old and a bit skinny. There is plenty of forage in the space it is in, but no real reasons for concern..
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If thats the horse as pictured that thing can not be ridden. You couldn't give me that horse.

Go to southern states, tractor supply, or other farm store. Find their corkboard. There will be ads for horse leasing. Basically timesharing a horse. Do that first before buying a horse.

Quoted:

Why? Lots of breeds have the dip in the back naturally... that horse is obviously old and a bit skinny. There is plenty of forage in the space it is in, but no real reasons for concern..
View Quote
May have bad teeth or need them to be floated. May not be able to eat or is lacking minerals. May have a massive worm infection or other problem. That horse is in bad health. And the amount of feed it seems to have further enforces that point since its so skinny.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
You can get free horses from people that cannot afford or don't want to afford to take care of them. A couple years ago there were some thourghbreds free to a good home.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
fiddy cents (a can).

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you fucking retarded?  That horse is skin and bones emaciated. A bit skinny and you can see a few ribs. This poor thing is barely alive.

OP, if you have any decency as a human being you'd immediately call SPCA, or other local animal control authorities. That horse is being starved.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck I can't see the damn picture... Work puter and all that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Were you dropped as a small child?

ETA: That isn't the horse in question, OP was just messing around!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Even a free horse will be incredibly expensive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take a second look - that "forage" isn't grass, it's thistle, buttercup, and a host of other inedible weeds because the pasture's been overgrazed and the weeds weren't knocked down by mowing so they've taken over.

Unless that horse is a very recent addition as a seizure/rescue from someone else who was neglecting it, animal control needs to get involved.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]
If it's healthy, good natured,  and rideable $1200 is a steal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

Agreed but I think the OP is joking.  And maybe
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Horses eat money and shit work. So as long as you hate money and love work, buy it!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Take a second look - that "forage" isn't grass, it's thistle, buttercup, and a host of other inedible weeds because the pasture's been overgrazed and the weeds weren't knocked down by mowing so they've taken over.

Unless that horse is a very recent addition as a seizure/rescue from someone else who was neglecting it, animal control needs to get involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. It's close to dirt nap time for that horse if someone doesn't get weight back on it, even then it's really old.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a buddy that goes to horse shows and he told me he locks his trailer after getting the horses out or people will put unwanted horses in his trailer.     

Don't know if BS me or not.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Apparently OP you haven't heard of the "4 Fs"...if it Flies, Floats, Fucks, or requires a Farrier, your better off renting.

<--------------- owns horses. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Short answer is no.

I grew up with show horses.  Lot's of work and lots of money for.... well.... everything.  Swore I'd never own one.

That said,  I bought my wife a broke/trained 4 year old Paint a couple years ago since she has always wanted one.  Around $5,000.

Now, even though I have the barn, space, and everything else to keep it at our home, we board it.  $375 a month includes food, water, stall cleaning, etc.  

HUGE. WASTE. OF. MONEY.

No other way to say it.  Add in vet fees, farrier fees, tack, etc?  Pissing even more money away.

It makes her extremely happy and gets me more time to waste money on another horrible investment.... My fishing boat lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Even a free horse will be incredibly expensive.
View Quote
This is a very common Arfcom misnomer. I own two horses and would argue they are probably no more or less expensive as a hobby than what most people spend on other hobbies like skiing/snowboarding, golfing, wood working, boating, auto racing, shooting, etc.

Now, can you spend a shit ton on horses? Or course. But not everyone needs a $10k-$20k horse that they board at a $400/mo stable, a $45k trailer and $70k truck to tow it, and the most blinged-out expensive tack that has more in common with a sterling silver tea pot than a saddle.

Also, where you live in the states can have a big impact on your expenses. We have pasture that the horses graze on during the late spring to early fall, so we only have to buy winter hay whereas some people may live in an area where they are feeding hay year-round.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#35]
It's really great when they die and you have to pay for disposal, you're not allowed to bury them here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you enjoy pain and hate money?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Because nobody ever selling a horse says it's not broken and bites kids.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Owning a horse is like buying a full time job.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#39]
A decent saddle alone will run you about $500 minimum.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Dig a hole in a field, and just throw money into it weekly. That's what owning a horse is like.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed but I think the OP is joking.  And maybe
View Quote
From his follow up post I believe it's the actual horse but he isn't remotely interested in acquiring it. Although, I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If thats the horse as pictured that thing can not be ridden. You couldn't give me that horse.

Go to southern states, tractor supply, or other farm store. Find their corkboard. There will be ads for horse leasing. Basically timesharing a horse. Do that first before buying a horse.

May have bad teeth or need them to be floated. May not be able to eat or is lacking minerals. May have a massive worm infection or other problem. That horse is in bad health. And the amount of feed it seems to have further enforces that point since its so skinny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what i'm seeing,  too much to eat for that skinny.  Something is not quite right.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

View Quote
If they're asking $1200 for that animal it better come with an older S10 or similar small pickup to haul it to the rendering plant with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#44]
That is actually my neighbor's horse. I stopped to see what the deal was with it (starving,rescue animal, disease, etc) when I first noticed it.  I was told that it is ancient and that is why it looks so bad. The owner breeds really expensive quarter horses and they have a bunch of cute aggie vet school students working on their animals.
The rest of the horses look great, so I don't believe neglect is the case here.

Again,I have no interest in owning a horse, I just wanted to share that pic, because it is really freaky looking.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#45]
The purchase price is the least of your worries. It can easily cost $6,000 a year to keep a horse without anything major going wrong.
Vet bills, farrier, feed, and boarding. If it's going in your backyard, and you don't already have a barn and fencing you're talking big bucks.
And in my case a year of your daughter being the state rodeo queen figure another 30k  but obviously that won't be a problem in your case.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah, here's a pic.

Some old horses just look that way. It's not that anyone is starving it. They don't maintain weight. that horse is probably 35 years old.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got a buddy that goes to horse shows and he told me he locks his trailer after getting the horses out or people will put unwanted horses in his trailer.     

View Quote
It's true and stable owners sometimes arrive at their barns to find an unwanted horse tied to their gate.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never heard about that, but when the economy is bad people find extra horses in their pasture and when the economy is good, horses get stolen out of their pasture.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#49]
OP just sold a washed up racing quarter horse today for $500, what I paid for it.  He was obviously broke but a challenge for the seldom rider.  He'll make a hell of a barrel horse for somebody has the time and energy to train him.

He fucked me up last November pretty good.  Couldn't walk straight for 6 weeks and watched my family ski over Christmas.

I'd offer $800-$1000.

Per expense, if you have plenty of room with decent grass expenses aren't that bad.  Our land is for investment purposes anyway, ag excemption helps that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's really great when they die and you have to pay for disposal, you're not allowed to bury them here.
View Quote
We just have a friend come over with a backhoe here in Florida.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top