BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In GA, interrupting a forcible felony is an affirmative defense to a shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if shooting someone over a property crime is a good shoot.
I doubt burglarizing an unoccupied car is a forcibly felony.  A car jacking, probably.

Obviously it's a bad shoot outside of Texas.  But I would like to see all of our pussy state legislators make this legal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Entering Auto in Georgia is NOT a forcible felony.  Ain't even close.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my cars broken into 3 times... I understand where the guy is coming from. I fucking HATE thieves! 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Legally speaking, outside of Texas, it isn't.  This is one instance where Texas has it right, and the rest of us need to catch up.
View Quote
That is a bit of a myth.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shooting the thief as he was running away is most likely a bad shoot.
Not on a legal level but on a moral level I think both of you are wrong.

When you are steeling from a person you are taking a part of their life, as in the time they used to acquire the item a thief is taking.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Put me on the jury.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He'd walk if I was on the jury.
View Quote
If it gets moved to my county...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're seriously advocating shoot to wound? Yeah, good luck with that. If your going to shoot, shoot to kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good shoot/Bad shoot? That is the question or one of the questions. Another of several additional questions is:
Was the punishment received by the criminal proper and appropriate for the crime of ' Attempted theft'?
The logical answer is, NO plain and simple. Was the owner justified in firing his weapon under the reported circumstances.  He certainly has the right to protect his property. Perhaps a warning shot would have been more appropriate even shooting the would be thief in the leg would certainly be OK.
I don't see attempted car theft of an unoccupied vehicle as justification for killing the perp. Yes, yes, I know the thief will never come back and threaten the victim again or anyone else. However, the punishment in this particular incidence does not seem to fit the crime.
He was not getting away with the car. The property was not stolen.  Justification of killing the perp does not exist in this case.
Had the thief been driving away in the owners car and the owner shot and killed the thief I could place no blame on the owner. He does indeed have a right to protect his property.
Respectfully, YMMV
You're seriously advocating shoot to wound? Yeah, good luck with that. If your going to shoot, shoot to kill.
If the shooters life were in danger I would agree with you whole heartedly!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Perhaps a warning shot would have been more appropriate even shooting the would be thief in the leg would certainly be OK
View Quote
Are you Ben Carson?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I respectfully disagree.

Your muddling of the term "vigilantism" is the same as the BradyBloomieBLM hacks, and equally as invalid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For all you "good shoot" people, answer this: Is or is not America a nation of laws?  Should we or should we not eschew vigilante justice? Is the average person properly qualified to be judge, jury, and executioner?

But shooting someone who is presenting no threat to you, just because you saw them trying to steal something?  That's third-world, "pour gas on them and light them up" shit right there.
I respectfully disagree.

Your muddling of the term "vigilantism" is the same as the BradyBloomieBLM hacks, and equally as invalid.
You can disagree all you want. "I disagree" is hardly an argument that would convince me to change my position, is it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Entering Auto in Georgia is NOT a forcible felony.  Ain't even close.
View Quote
I was thinking he was stealing the car but there's this from OCGA. Entering an auto to commit a felony or some such OCGA 16-8-18. Not trying to nit pick.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wrong.

They're both good shoots.

Fuck thieves.
View Quote
Oh, you're right.  I failed to consider the fact that "fuck thieves" justifies deadly force in this situation.  Apparently, the agency and prosecutors involved in this case didn't realize it either.  Fortunately, the "fuck thieves" defense will certainly come out in trial and the guy will be found not guilty.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I was king you would be able to shoot criminals that break into your house or car while they're in the act or until they've broken contact.   If he's 1000 yards away running up a hill you could shoot him in the back of the head w/ your 338 Lapua and get a medal! 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good shoot, just not legal.  Shame really.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Should we also shoot children who steal candy from the c store? If not then how do you determine which thieves get shot? Is it like a $500 and up value stipulation? In a cars case we talking blue book or trade in?

My point is you only use deadly force when there is rosk of death or grave  bodily injury.
View Quote
Wrong.  Teach your children morals and they won't grow up thieves and get shot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh wells all around.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me ask all you "Good Shoot" guys a question.

Would you feel the same way if this was a white dude, and some cop shot him in the back of the head as he was running away?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Would you feel the same way if this was a white dude, and some cop shot him in the back of the head as he was running away?
View Quote
Yup.  Until Tennessee v. Garner we shot fleeing felons all the time.  Business as usual.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
As someone who has had a fair amount of my life stolen by thieves.  Fuck them!  We need to shoot more thieves.  Notice I didn't say white thieves, black thieves, or green thieves.  This is a criminal issue, not a racial one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very bad shoot by an obviously untrained shooter. Having said that, the crux of the issue is the Uncle's comment. The nephew was committing a crime (and I'll bet all my wealth that this wasn't his first break in) and it's accepted as being ok.
View Quote
It is dark out, the guy is running away, and he shot him in the head. Not sure how many shots he took but likely not untrained. Maybe uneducated in terms of the legality of what he was doing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
If a car thief is running away, he's not a car thief.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If a car thief is running away, he's not a car thief.
View Quote
Sure he is.  He just wasn't successful that time. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would not vote to convict. 
View Quote
Ayup...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh, you're right.  I failed to consider the fact that "fuck thieves" justifies deadly force in this situation.  Apparently, the agency and prosecutors involved in this case didn't realize it either.  Fortunately, the "fuck thieves" defense will certainly come out in trial and the guy will be found not guilty.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Race has nothing to do with it

A scumbag is a scumbag regardless of skin color.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Back in the day they hung horse thieves. Maybe we should look into that again.
View Quote
One of the houses I lived in as a kid was on the historic Santa Fe Trail. Across the street was an old cemetery.

Far back corner of the lot, underneath a large tree was a small stone that simply read, "The Horse Thief." I'm assuming they buried him where he dropped when they cut the rope.

Just down the hill was also the last wet inn on the Santa Fe Trail. Once you left Missouri, better have loaded up on the booze you needed to get you through the trip, because no more places to get it after that. Was good friends with the family that lived in that house, their driveway is a historically protected piece of road because of the wagon ruts. When it rains hard and washes out the fill in gravel, there are some deep fucking ruts. They have to drive through their frontyard/field when that happens, because I don't know a car on the market that could navigate a wagon rut driveway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Shooting someone as they run away/having abandoned their criminal attempt and not fleeing with property... thats a bad shoot 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It should be up to the victim of the criminal to determine what punishment is just.  The Government does not own this countries citizens, why should it determine the value of what the victims time/life was worth to acquire the item being stolen.
View Quote
Good job skirting the question...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, I'm all broken up over it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then why do armored cars, banks, and Fort Knox have armed guards?  Its only property - right?  What makes THIER property worth deadly force - and not MINE?

BTW I think Singapore style canning is sufficient for actual children - 12 and below.
View Quote
They are armed to protect themselves while transporting the money.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shooting someone as they run away/having abandoned their criminal attempt and not fleeing with property... thats a bad shoot 
View Quote
Shooting thieves is never a bad shoot.  It's just not legal in some cases! 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some states allow the use of lethal force to protect property, like mine.  Some states even have a fleeing felon law, like TX, where this would probably be a good shoot.  Your communist worshipping states laws may vary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here your car is an extension of your home.
Fuck Marcus.
View Quote
Where is "here"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
“I'm devastated his life had to end this way, senseless shooting,” said his uncle, Typurs Mitchell.
View Quote
I'm not devastated.   Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shooting thieves that are not threatening you with death or grave bodily harm is prohibited in the vast majority of states.

Texas allows shooting thieves under restricted circumstances.

Like at night and if recovering the property would be 'difficult' IIRC.
View Quote
lol, no.   More restricted
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I doubt burglarizing an unoccupied car is a forcibly felony.  A car jacking, probably.

Obviously it's a bad shoot outside of Texas.  But I would like to see all of our pussy state legislators make this legal.
View Quote
It's a "bad shoot" in Texas as well
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Some states allow the use of lethal force to protect property, like mine.  Some states even have a fleeing felon law, like TX, where this would probably be a good shoot.  Your communist worshipping states laws may vary.
View Quote
Texas does not have a fleeing felon law that applys to non-LEO, and even for them it is very restricted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#42]
People should not be held responsible when reacting to a criminal act perpetrated against them. If the POS was not committing the crime the action from the victim wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stealing property is stealing life.

Do you work for free? Is everything given to you for free? No? You earn money by sacrificing hours of your life for hard earned money to buy what you need and want? So.....I should be allowed to steal your car and property, and as long as I am unarmed or running away to hurt someone else I am ok? You cannot shoot to protect your property? Only a fucking communist believes that.

My property represents YEARS of my life spent at work. At jobs I hated. So I could acquire what I needed and wanted legally and honorably. My property IS my life. Why should huge chunks of my life be sacrificed for other peoples laziness? Why is a thiefs life worth more than mine? Why should they not have to work for what they want? Why should I have to work MORE (much more) to allow them to steal it from me with no fear of consequences? Do you also believe slavery is ok too?
View Quote
Your news letter sir:  I would like to subscribe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Should we also shoot children who steal candy from the c store? If not then how do you determine which thieves get shot? Is it like a $500 and up value stipulation? In a cars case we talking blue book or trade in?

My point is you only use deadly force when there is rosk of death or grave  bodily injury.
View Quote
That's such a retarded equivalence attempt!  Great troll!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Legally?  No, not in most places.

Morally?  Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you can't honestly see the difference between a small child's actions and an adult's actions, I don't think any of us here can help you.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Back in the day they hung horse thieves. Maybe we should look into that again.
View Quote
They must have hung them all.  I haven't heard of a horse theft lately.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not if it's TX and it's dark.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
ETA:  Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Where's the thief's picture?

Surely the Police have recent ones, both front and side view.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top