Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 8:18:14 AM EDT
Take prescription drugs daily like blood pressure medicine for example?

I do and have for years.  My prescription consist of various medications dispensed 30 tablets at a time, refilled 12 times a year. 

During my most recent visit to my doctor for annual check up I asked them to write the prescription in 90 day intervals as a convenience to me to not have to go into the pharmacy and deal with the general public every month. 

My previous cost for generic equivalent blood pressure medicine dispensed 30 tablets at a time was $11 and some change. 

I was expecting the 90 day supply to be three times that amount. 

90 day supply cost $14 and some change.  All I wanted to do was save myself some time by not having to go into the pharmacy every month and I couldn't believe that they would basically fill the same prescription in a higher quantity for approximately the same price on my medications.  

It might be worth a phone call into your doctor to see if you too can save any money using this technique?

Regards
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't need a doctor to request 90 days, at least in Texas. If you have a full year or at least 90 days worth on a prescription it can be ran as 90 days worth of meds. Just ask the pharmacist and if your insurance allows it, there's no problems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I get the 90 day supply but I have not noticed a price difference. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
In addition to the above info.  Be sure to inquire about the actual/cash price of the medication. Don't just settle for your co-pay.  In some cases, the pharmacy will charge you less if you pay out of pocket.

Example:
My co-pay is $15 for a 30 day supply...the same med at their cash price is $8 for 30 days.
I use my FSA* card to pay for the med and I'm good to go.

Download the app GoodRx** for a great cost comparison from pharmacies in your area and compare them to your co-pay amounts.

*FSA=Flex spending account, not free shit army.
**Not affiliated with GoodRx in any way.

ETA.
As of January 1st, my insurance now requires all maintenance medications to purchased through the mail in 90 day quantities.  I did my research with GoodRx and found that my local HEB would charge me $56 for all of my meds.  My mail order prescription coverage would be $68 for just one of the meds.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA.
As of January 1st, my insurance now requires all maintenance medications to purchased through the mail in 90 day quantities.  I did my research with GoodRx and found that my local HEB would charge me $56 for all of my meds.  My mail order prescription coverage would be $68 for just one of the meds.
View Quote
Fukers !! Affordable care my ass. 

I dont think my cost could possibly be any cheaper, but I'm going to check up on my wife's cost. 

Thanks. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
We can't get 90 day supplies from our hometown pharmacy. They won't do it. claim they can't do it. I would have to do it through CVS(provider) by mail and they require credit card payment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We can't get 90 day supplies from our hometown pharmacy. They won't do it. claim they can't do it. I would have to do it through CVS(provider) by mail and they require credit card payment.
View Quote
What medication(s) are they unable to fill for 90 days?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Always ask what the retail price is.  It is often lower than the what your insurance company charges you

Ask your doctor if something on the Walmart $4 drug list will work.   $4/30 days. $10/90 days.   A lot of places will price match this Walmart list.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/1078664
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Always ask what the retail price is.  It is often lower than the what your insurance company charges you

Ask your doctor if something on the Walmart $4 drug list will work.   $4/30 days. $10/90 days.   A lot of places will price match this Walmart list.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/1078664
View Quote
This is what I do, but I am just a bum that doesn't want to participate in the insurance fiasco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top